SC SC - Dail Dinwiddie, 23, Columbia, 24 Sep 1992

carolina, thanks for posting Dail.

More information on this beautiful girl who is missing since from Columbia, SC since September 24, 1992.

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: September 24, 1992 from Columbia, South Carolina
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: April 12, 1969
Height and Weight: 5'0; 96 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown hair with blonde highlights, brown eyes. Dinwiddie has pierced ears. She has facial dimples. One finger on each of Dinwiddie's hands is disabled.
NCIC Number: M-592497101

Details of Disappearance
Dinwiddie attended concert of the band U2 in Columbia, South Carolina with friends on September 23, 1992. The concert ended at approximately 11:15 p.m.; Dinwiddie and her group then stopped at Jungle Jim's, a nightclub in the Five Points' area of Columbia. Dinwiddie was last seen at approximately 1:30 AM on September 24 by an employee at the club. Her friends lost track of her at the club and assumed she had a ride home; they left at approximately 1:00 a.m. Dinwiddie apparently spoke to the bouncer for 15 minutes before walking out the door between 1:15 and 1:30 a.m. Dinwiddie was last seen walking north on Harden Street. She has never been seen again. She was wearing a long-sleeved olive green shirt, a bright blue LL Bean jacket tied around her waist, jeans and new white running shoes or brown boots at the time of her disappearance.
Dinwiddie was missed at 6:15 a.m. when her father saw that the lights and radio were on in her room and her bed had not been slept in. He called all of her friends and none of them knew her whereabouts, so he reported her missing at 8:30 a.m. The Columbia police treated Dinwiddie's disappearance as a kidnapping, since everyone who knew her said it would be very uncharacteristic of her to leave without warning. She is described as a cautious person who did not like to be out alone.
Investigators are probing the possibility that Reinaldo Javier Rivera was involved in Dinwiddie's disappearance. Rivera was charged with the murders of four Georgia women in 2000. Photos of Rivera are posted below this case summary. He was a resident of Columbia and a student at the University Of South Carolina in 1992, which was located near the Five Points area where Dinwiddie was last seen. Investigators are also looking into the possibility that Rivera was involved in the 1999 South Carolina disappearance of Paula Merchant. Authorities are uncertain if Rivera is connected to either Dinwiddie or Merchant's cases and no charges have been filed against him in connection with their cases. Interviews with him on the subject have not been fruitful. Rivera pleaded not guilty to the Georgia murders in July 2001. His trial date has not been established. He plans to use a defense of mental illness.
Dinwiddie's case remains open and unsolved. She is an graduate of Randolph-Macon Women's College, where she majored in art history. She was planning on enrolling at the University of South Carolina for graduate school at the time of her disappearance.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/dinwiddie.html

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Columbia Police Department
803-233-8474

karen - no i was not living in columbia yet when dail disappeared and unfortunately never got the opportunity to meet her. She did babysit for several of my friends who talk about her often.

if something good arises from every situation i believe that since dail's disappearance, women are more careful when going out in the five points area. when i lived there with my roommates i was told about what happened to her and girls/women never walk anywhere by themselves even if it is only two blocks. friends are always willing to leave what they are doing and offer them a ride.

i drive the walk dail would have taken that night almost every day and it is impossible not to wonder what happened to her. i pray that her family receives some long awaited answers soon.

Dail certainly is a beautiful girl. I hope someday her family finds out what happened to her.
Karen

Wow.. It would be really nice to have some solid information after all these years. I really hope this "lead" is gets them closer to finding her.

i don't know! i was hoping that they had mabe found something of hers, or something concrete, but this article from saturday doesnt make it sound that way:

Columbia Police Captain Steve Conley says an out of state law enforcement agency contacted the Columbia Police Department last month and told them someone had contacted them about the case.

Conley says Columbia Police are in the process of getting that individual to come to South Carolina for an interview.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2530942&nav=0RaPSq3v

do any of y'all know of somebody in your state who is facing charges that might have something to gain by coming clean about their past?

hey! our local news channel wis has recfently starting doinfg a feature called "the news you chose" where preople go on line and vote for a story they would like to see covered in depth. this week, due to some recent ones solved, an option is "solving cold cases".

if y'all have some time, before monday i think, go to www.wistv.com and vote . it is on the main page and towards the bottom on the left.

maybe we can get dail some attention again! she deserves it.

I did read that Riveria said he had nothing to do with her disappearance. And since he was in a "confessing" mood that might be true.

bulletgirl2002 said:
I did read that Riveria said he had nothing to do with her disappearance. And since he was in a "confessing" mood that might be true.
In pretrial hearings, Rivera has admitted he raped and killed four young women beginning in 1999 in the Augusta, Ga., area. His attorney is defending him on the grounds of mental illness.

Around the time of Dail's disappearance, the now 38-year-old Rivera lived in Columbia and was a student at USC. Investigators interviewed Rivera but could find no link. Rivera had left a suicide note listing his victims, Chambers says, and denied any involvement with Dinwiddie (or Paula Merchant).

GreenvilleOnline.com - For parents of missing daughter, time passes but hope remains

The article I linked above is very thorough and has a lot of nice background information about Dail:

Dail was a quiet figure, easily liked.

"She had a type of charisma that made people want to be around her," he says...

She had a sweet coating; she slept with her teddy bear, always, on into college. But underneath, others who knew her say, was a feisty spirit tempered with a sharp ability to judge character...

GreenvilleOnline.com - For parents of missing daughter, time passes but hope remains

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back