1347 users online (268 members and 1079 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18
    Dinwiddie’s parents want your help 25 years after she disappeared from Five Points
    The State
    September 19, 2017
    http://www.thestate.com/news/local/a...174125646.html

http://www.wbtv.com/story/18298946/where-is-dail-dinwiddie-revisiting-a-20-year-old-case .

You would find it tucked away in the corner of Columbia Police Investigator Mark Vinson's office: The battered black filing cabinet packed with almost 20 years of documents, clippings and reports.

All generated by the massive, and to this day, unproductive probe into the disappearance of Dail Dinwiddie.

"We're still working on it," said Vinson. "If leads come in, we're still willing to look into them. If someone, if we have people that come forward to say they saw something that night and they just decided to come forward 15 years later, we're still willing to listen to what they have to say."

In September of 1992, the Irish rock band U2 brought its "Zoo TV" tour to Williams-Brice Stadium.
    Among tens of thousands there was the petite 23-year-old art history graduate who'd recently moved back to Columbia to live at home and continue her schoolwork at USC. After the concert, Dail and her friends went to a Five Points bar called Jungle Jim's.
    A couple of hours later, she separated from the group and was gone. She is still gone.
    And yet, after nearly two decades of anguish, uncertainty and disappointment, Dan and Jean Dinwiddie have not given up.

"Just hoping that this will be the time when someone will hear this and remember something and maybe can give us some information," said Jean. "And we have to find Dail. I still have hope."

"We love her very much," sad Dan. "We prayed to have her. We reared her. Nurtured her. And to give up now is just not--that's not fair. That's not right
    rbbm.

Quote Originally Posted by LawGal73 View Post
    I've never heard anything about her walking back into that neighborhood and yeah, it's a risky area. In 25 years I've driven through it twice - in daylight - and have been stared down by people sitting outside their homes. Even the park behind it is really sketchy at night. Friends and I used to take our dogs there to play years ago but we stopped because we kept finding broken glass, used needles and condoms. Honestly I'd find it hard to believe even if it was a more direct route that she'd have ventured into that neighborhood alone in foot at 2 am.
    x2

I spent quite a bit of time in Five Points from late-'07 and into 2010. I'm a pretty good sized male, and often times parked my vehicle up Greene by the park, but even with my size and situational awareness I was always on alert heading back to my vehicle. Sketchy at night, especially between there and Gervais, which I would sometimes drive through as a shortcut back to Forest Acres.

It\s like an open air drug market in that area, most hours of the day and night.

Justice for Abigail Williams and Liberty German

Justice for Brittanee Drexel

Justice for all child and juvenile victims of monsters

Missing 25 years, Columbia resident Dail Dinwiddie's family and friends hold on to hope
    For the last quarter century, Columbia couple Dan and Jean Dinwiddie have been waiting for answers and holding on to hope.

Sunday marks the 25th anniversary of their daughter Dail's disappearance from the Five Points entertainment district after attending a U2 concert with friends.

"After 25 years, our family and friends still hope and pray each day that someone will come forward with information that will lead us to Dail," said a statement from the husband and wife, and their son, Drew.

Bumping this thread...Iíve recently become very interested in this case; Iím a senior at USC and have grown attached to Columbia. But this case sticks out; thereís just so much that doesnít make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kfschneider View Post
    Bumping this thread...I’ve recently become very interested in this case; I’m a senior at USC and have grown attached to Columbia. But this case sticks out; there’s just so much that doesn’t make sense.
    Welcome to Ws kfschneider, it is great to have locals on thread, thanks for joining !

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    Welcome to Ws kfschneider, it is great to have locals on thread, thanks for joining !
    Thanks for the welcome!

I'm actually a journalism student at USC and just did a project on this case, with it being the 25-year anniversary and all.

Despite turning the project in this morning, I want to learn more and talk to more people about this case. I've already talked with police and someone who was friends with her, but I still have questions about Dail's disappearance--like all of us do.

This is just something I'm going to pursue in my free time between school and work. If anyone has thoughts, ideas, etc., feel free to message me if you don't want to publish on the thread.

I did a bit more research yesterday, which created some questions:

-Why does the timeline keep changing? At first, she was last seen at 1:30 a.m., but more recently, it's become 2 or 2:30. I know details shift over the years, but that seems weird.

-Did she go back and leave again? I've seen multiple accounts of her leaving once, coming back, and then leaving the bar again for the final time. Also, her exit is up in the air as well; did she talk to the bartender, or did she run out? I've seen both stories.

-Why would she leave her purse at the bar? Did she plan on coming back? People do things different when they're drunk, yes, but all accounts I've read suggest Dail wasn't *that* intoxicated.

-Recently saw a man on FB comment and say Dail was his college roommate's girlfriend. So there's a boyfriend no one ever mentions? I plan to pursue that and talk with the guy, along with some of the people mentioned in this thread (friends, bouncer, etc).

That's all I have right now, but I'll post again soon. Let me know your thoughts!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kfschneider View Post
    I did a bit more research yesterday, which created some questions:

-Why does the timeline keep changing? At first, she was last seen at 1:30 a.m., but more recently, it's become 2 or 2:30. I know details shift over the years, but that seems weird.

-Did she go back and leave again? I've seen multiple accounts of her leaving once, coming back, and then leaving the bar again for the final time. Also, her exit is up in the air as well; did she talk to the bartender, or did she run out? I've seen both stories.

-Why would she leave her purse at the bar? Did she plan on coming back? People do things different when they're drunk, yes, but all accounts I've read suggest Dail wasn't *that* intoxicated.

-Recently saw a man on FB comment and say Dail was his college roommate's girlfriend. So there's a boyfriend no one ever mentions? I plan to pursue that and talk with the guy, along with some of the people mentioned in this thread (friends, bouncer, etc).

That's all I have right now, but I'll post again soon. Let me know your thoughts!
    Thanks
    Cannot help but wonder if somebody spiked Dail's drink with GHB or other date rape drug when she was in the club.
    Maybe she went outside because she felt sick or dizzy, explaining perhaps why her purse was apparently left behind, maybe she was followed out the door and scooped up outside the club?

complete speculation.
    https://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs07/717/odd.htm
    rbbm
    South Carolina Drug Threat Assessment
    December 2001
    Other Dangerous Drugs

The other dangerous drugs (ODD) category includes club drugs, hallucinogens, and illegally diverted pharmaceuticals, in addition to household products and over-the-counter medications abused mostly by youth.

Club Drugs

Other dangerous drugs include those classified as "club drugs." Club drugs are used by teens and young adults at all-night dance parties called raves that are generally held in clubs in cities and beach resorts in South Carolina. Raves feature loud music, flashing light displays, and often extensive drug use. Some club drugs are MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine), LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide), GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyrate), Rohypnol (flunitrazepam), and ketamine. These drugs run the gamut from stimulants to sedatives to hallucinogens. Local law enforcement agencies in South Carolina report increases in the popularity of club drugs in the larger metropolitan areas and in some beach communities. However, low levels of abuse are reported throughout the rest of the state. Club drugs primarily are distributed by Caucasian criminal groups and local independent dealers.

GHB and GBL

Of the club drugs available in South Carolina, GHB poses the greatest threat. GHB, also known as liquid ecstasy, scoop, grievous bodily harm, and Georgia home boy, is abused for its euphoric, sedative, and anabolic effects. However, use can induce coma and cause insomnia, anxiety, tremors, and sweating. When GHB is combined with methamphetamine, there is an increased risk of seizures. Overdoses can occur quickly; some of the signs include drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, and impaired breathing, and even death. The drug increasingly is involved in poisonings, overdoses, date rapes, and fatalities nationwide, including South Carolina

This is a very good point. From what I've gathered, Five Points wasn't frightening and sketchy like it is now. The friend I talked with was shocked when I said I was told to stay away. She said they never felt that way, that it never even crossed their minds.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18