CA - Gov. Schwarzenegger commutes some sentences

believe09

Reaction score
SAN DIEGO – Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Sunday commuted the manslaughter sentence of the son of California's former Assembly speaker, drawing criticism from the victim's family. The outgoing governor also granted clemency to a woman who killed her former pimp in a motel room when she was 16.

The moves come just hours before Schwarzenegger is scheduled to leave office on Monday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110103/ap_on_re_us/us_schwarzenegger_clemency

The Govenor believes that the sentence for Esteban Nunez was excessive given that he did not stab the victim himself and had a clean prior record. Nunez received the same sentence as the killer. Prosecutors state that Nunez and friends were looking for a fight once they were denied admittance to a fraternity party-apparently the judge believed so as well. The family of the victim learned of the commutation from reporters who called for comment.

Niice.

The family believes that since Nunez is the son of one of the most powerful legislator's in CA until the man left office in 2008, there was some influence peddling going on here. I do want to point out that Nunez pled guilty to voluntary manslaughter.

On the flip side, the Gov. reduced the LWOP sentence of a prostitute who shot her pimp when she was 16. The prosecutors offered evidence at her trial that she was no longer working for the pimp at the time of the murder-are you kidding me? A 16 year old kid who was hooking on the streets received LWOP for killing her former pimp? The evidence was also overwhelming that she was abused as a child...no surprise here.

He generously put her in line for 25yrs-Life with the possibility of parole.

How is this clemency? Just askin.

I know this is going to be hotly discussed around town here. I hadn't followed this case all that closely, but did know the basic facts.

I could see how people thought the judge would give this defendent, Nunoz, special treatment because of his dad's political connections. But then when the judge gave Nunoz the same sentence as Jett (the one directly responsible for the actual stabbing (murder)), people thought the judge was harsher on him, again, because of his dad's political clout.

At first I thought that could be. However, if you read further into articles, you see Nunoz, although not directly responsible for the actual murder, he ALSO had a knife and stabbed TWO other victims at that time.

I think the fact is these guys were not even from this area and were looking for a fight. Nunoz is just lucky the OTHER TWO victims didn't die as well. I personally think the ORIGINAL sentence was justified. But, too late, the outgoing governor has spoken.

JMHO
fran

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/01/03/schwarzenegger-draws-fire-for-commuted-sentence/

Schwarzenegger Draws Fire For Commuted Sentence

SAN DIEGO (AP) – When Esteban Nunez was arrested after a stabbing death in 2008, a co-defendant told police the son of former California Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez had boasted that his dad would get them out of trouble.

The parents of the victim said Monday that Esteban Nunez was right — political connections had helped.

Outgoing Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s decision during his final hours in office to reduce the manslaughter sentence of Esteban Nunez from 16 to seven years sparked criticism that he was doing a political favor for an old ally.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I do not like how one person has the power to override everything. I also do not like that he did this when he was out the door like that.

This is not the first time recently that a sentence was commuted and the victims family was not notified. How selfish is that to make such a decision without consulting the victims families.

I'm an Arnold supporter (most of the time) but this is a big boo hiss... I'm sure he could have found some cases that would seem more unjust than these and with the pimp murder - she gets the opportunity for parole, which is good, but not great. It's a weak move on his part.

Stabbing victim's family plans to sue over Nunez sentence reduction

SACRAMENTO — The family of 22-year-old man who was fatally stabbed during a fight on the campus of San Diego State University are planning to file a lawsuit against former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who cut the prison sentence for one defendant in the case by more than half.

Representatives from Crime Victims United of California, an advocacy group, say they will file a lawsuit Thursday in Sacramento Superior Court

<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/19/stabbing-victims-family-plans-sue-over-nunez-sente/#

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back