Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    In a case with these complexities, is it possible the judge was for the later date as well, to be well-prepared?
    Just my opinion, of course.

The judge gave 3 dates that would work for her schedule. If she wanted only the latest date, she wouldn't have given the other options.
    Justice is the constant and perpetual will to allot to every man his due. Domitus Ulpian

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gwenabob For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gwenabob View Post
    The judge gave 3 dates that would work for her schedule. If she wanted only the latest date, she wouldn't have given the other options.
    Gwen.. thanks so much for what you do here. You are the BEST... However, is there a link that says/shows the judge giving 3 dates that would work for TH...I guess I may have missed that...My cable connections has been crazy for the past 34-48 hours..
    Last edited by kappy50; 01-09-2011 at 12:52 AM.

The story I linked to in the OP says this as the last paragraph:

"Meisenheimer's staff have given the attorneys involved in the civil case potential dates - up to three months out - to reschedule the hearing."

It would be highly unusual--not to mention unprofessional--for a judge to give preferential treatment to one party in a divorce case. The court simply gives out dates they are available, and the parties confer to figure out which of those work for them. If one party wants to say, "Only the last date is good for us," then the other party will take it if it works for them. I think that is what happened here. Terri's attorneys took the maximum time they could to figure out their strategy.
    Justice is the constant and perpetual will to allot to every man his due. Domitus Ulpian

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gwenabob For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by weeds View Post
    "PORTLAND, Ore. -- A motions hearing has been scheduled for March 31 as part of restraining order and divorce proceedings between Kaine and Terri Horman."

http://www.kptv.com/news/26408010/detail.html
    Wow - so long! Poor Kaine!

Gwenabob: Thanks for your insight. It makes sense to me that they chose the date furthest in the future just to stretch things out.

I'm the proud mother of a new attorney!
    It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
    Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThoughtFox For This Useful Post:

All TH's lawyers had to do is say they have prior scheduling conflicts on the first two dates the court gave them. Vioila! They get 3 more months.
    That really surprises me.

In my state, there are only two grounds on which an attorney can turn down dates on the court calendar: already scheduled for court or on vacation.

Lawyers that are caught lying about the dates they have available can and do face court sanctions.

In this state, it would only take Ms Rackner a matter of minutes to ascertain the probable truth of the matter.

I do think it's possible that Mr Bunch, TMH's divorce lawyer, already has many court dates filled. I'm certain TMH is far from his only client.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

Does anyone have a link to the dates that were proposed. Is it a fact that the date chosen was the last date available on the list?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonfictionrocks For This Useful Post:

There is no link to the dates the court gave them. The news article said three dates were given up to 3 months out. March 31st is three months out.

There is no link to the dates the court gave them. The news article said three dates were given up to 3 months out. March 31st is three months out.
    I didn't get the impression that KH's attorney was such a pushover that she would just nod her head at whatever Houze said.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    I didn't get the impression that KH's attorney was such a pushover that she would just nod her head at whatever Houze said.
    Yeah, but she knows that alot can happen in three months and it might be a whole different thing by March if new evidence comes to light.

I'm the proud mother of a new attorney!
    It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
    Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThoughtFox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtFox View Post
    Yeah, but she knows that alot can happen in three months and it might be a whole different thing by March if new evidence comes to light.
    That doesn't make sense to me, that she would not mind the delay, as I can't see Kaine losing either way. Also they had said that they were pushing for the case to be heard in order to try to get information about Kyron. So I don't think she would simply bow to Houze without ample proof that his calendar is full, if it is his and not hers that is the issue. Kaine sounded as though the speed of the divorce was of the essence to him.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtFox View Post

she who ???

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kappy50 For This Useful Post:

call me crazy..but 3 months out from what ?

Kappy let me try to answer your question.

You quoted Thoughtfox asking she who. It is clear from the post that you quoted from, that the posters were talking about Kaine's Attorney. You thanked the poster for the original post in the chain.

So the answer to your question is that the posters were talking about Kaine's Attorney.

Hope this helps you understand!

Posts below.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5987453&postcount=56"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Divorce Hearing postponed[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by kappy50 View Post
    call me crazy..but 3 months out from what ?
    The Hearing date now set is March 31, 2011. So that is just shy of 3 months from the postponement date.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast