1389 users online (244 members and 1145 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WY - Sheridan Co., WhtFem 390UFWY, 16-21, dumped along I-90, Apr'92

I can't find this Jane Doe on Doenetwork or on NamUs, and no photo or reconstruction is available on the state site. Can anyone with better sleuthing skills find some more info?

Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation Unsolved Cases

Homicide, April 13, 1992, Sheridan County, Wyoming: On April 13, 1992, the decomposed body of an unidentified female was found near mile post 5 on the west side of Interstate 90 in Sheridan County, Wyoming. The body was that of a white female, approximately 20 to 30 years old, 5'5" to 5'6" inches tall, approximately 110 pounds in weight with brown hair. No identification was found with the victim who appears to have died from a blow to the head. The victim was clothed in blue jeans with a white belt, a blue and white checkerboard short sleeve blouse. A gold post-type ring was in her right ear. No shoes or other personal items were found at the scene. Anyone with information regarding this case is urged to contact the Sheridan County Sheriff's Office at (307) 672-3455 or the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation at (307) 777-7181.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 01-11-2014 at 01:45 AM.
    "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment."~ Dot Parker

Donna Maria Gonzales

Doenetwork Case File 1319DFLA

Donna Maria Gonzales
    Missing since April 7, 1992 from Rayne, Acadia Parish, Louisiana.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Date Of Birth: August 29, 1964
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 27 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 110 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown eyes; reddish/brown shoulder-length hair. She wears glasses.
    Dentals: Front teeth capped. Dental information available.
    Clothing: Wearing a black and white checkered blouse, black pants and black shoes. Carrying a brown zippered briefcase.
    DNA: Available.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Gonzales was last seen in Rayne, Louisiana on April 7, 1992 at 15:00, walking along South Adams Street near Devil's Alley. She was selling insurance policies door to door to businesses in the area.
    Her car, a 1982 blue Pontiac Bonneville was found in a parking lot off of Devil's Alley near South Adams Street. The car was found with her purse and driver's license in the trunk. The keys were missing, as well as Gonzales' insurance brief case. There was no sign of struggle at the car.

She had just started her job as an insurance agent, and Tuesday was her first day without her boss accompanying her.

Police are convinced foul play was involved in the disappearance because she was too levelheaded to simply vanish on her own without a trace.

Gonzales had spent three years, from 1989 to 1991, with the Trappistine religious order of sisters in Iowa, contemplating joining the secluded order.
    "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment."~ Dot Parker

Quote Originally Posted by tamar View Post
    I can't find this Jane Doe on Doenetwork or on NamUs, and no photo or reconstruction is available on the state site. Can anyone with better sleuthing skills find some more info?

Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation Unsolved Cases
    Here is the DoeNet file, Tamar. There is no NamUs casefile for this UID.

The Doe Network:
    Case File 390UFWY
    http://doenetwork.org/cases/390ufwy.html

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on April 13, 1992 in Sheridan County, Wyoming.
    * Estimated Date of Death:
    * Cause of Death: Blow to the head
    * Decomposed Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 20 - 30 years old
    * Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'6"; 110 lbs.
    * Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair.
    * Clothing: Blue jeans with a white belt, blue & white checkered short sleeve blouse. A gold post type earring was found in her right ear. No shoes or any other personal items were found.
    * Dentals: Available
    * DNA: Available

Case History
    The victim was located on April 13, 1992, near mile post 5 on Interstate 90, in Sheridan County, Wyoming.
    No identification was found with the victim. She died from a blow to the head. This case is being investigated as a homicide.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-09-2012 at 06:36 PM.

photo/reconstruction comparison

Thank you Carl. I don't know how I missed it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tamar; 01-04-2011 at 03:31 AM. Reason: eta photo

A six day window between the disappearance and the discovery makes the approximately 24hour drive from Louisiana to Wyoming very possible.

I wish I could find more information about the UID's dentals; if her front teeth were also capped.

My only other concern is the level of decomposition after 5-6 days. It seems that the details are bit sketchy about just how decomposed she was when they found her. I would still "call it in" FWIW; I do like the comparison between the missing and the UID.

the UID is now in Namus, no rule outs:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9970

they got DNA, some fingerprints and dentals for her. she's not Donna Marie Gonzales as Donna had her front teeth capped and the UID did not.

From the NamUs profile:
    Notes on body parts recovered
    Intrauterine Pregnancy, Approx 2 1/2 month
    Also, more details on:
    Clothing with body
    Light blue and white check midriff shirt which is tied beneath the breasts, and is a pullover with several fancy pearl and false jeweled buttons extending to the midchest region; light blue lacy supprot bra size 38C: pair of size 5-6 blue jeans; wide white plastic belt with silver colored buckle; pair of nylon pink bikini panties with paisley design

I wonder if the killer was the father to be and did not want to become father of the year.

Entry has been changed to reflect a lower age estimate: 16 to 21 years. She now has two forensic reconstructions, one done in 2013 in addition to the older one.

NamUs UP # 9970
    https://identifyus.org/cases/9970

Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation: I-90 Jane Doe
    http://wyomingdci.wyo.gov/dci-operat.../i-90-jane-doe

Quote Originally Posted by NamUs
    NamUs Case # 9970 has had changes made. You can view the case by clicking the url below

URL: https://identifyus.org/cases/9970

The following fields have been changed:
    Demographics : Minimum Age changed from "25" to "16"

Demographics : Maximum Age changed from "35" to "21"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation
    The Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation is seeking assistance in the identification of an unidentified deceased person discovered on April 13, 1992 in Sheridan County, Wyoming.

The unidentified person is believed to be a Caucasian female, approximately 16 to 21 years of age, around 5'5" to 5'6" in height, approximately 110 to 115 pounds with brown hair. This person has given birth at least once in her life. Although the hair color, length, and curl characteristics are known, this hairstyle may not reflect the way this person wore her hair.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Special Agent Loy Young or Special Agent Louey Williams at the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation at 307-672-8979 or 307-777-7181.
    File attachment is flyer image from the above WY DCI page. The quoted text is transcribed from the flyer image.

Given no other information, I'd bet that I-90 Jane Doe was older than 18. She had already given birth at least once, plus may have been pregnant at time of decease. (The note about a 2.5-month pregnancy is no longer in her NamUs entry.) Whoever recovered her also initially thought she appeared older than a teenager.

I-90 Jane Doe was recovered in April in a ditch near mile marker 5 on the west side of I-90. (Does that mean west side or westbound side?) Her body condition is given as "Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction" but without an estimated date of death. She has no eye color available. She was found with a gold post earring in one of her ears, so at least one earlobe was intact.

A different Wyoming UID, the Sweetwater Jane Doe recovered one month earlier in March 1992, was described as having a "nearly pristine" face* due to having lain in the snow and cold temperatures for as long as 5 months. Possibly I-90 Jane Doe could likewise have died up to a few months before recovery.

* Casper Star-Tribune: John/Jane Does — including Bitter Creek Betty — frustrate Wyoming investigators
    http://trib.com/news/local/casper/jo...a350dd56d.html
    Last edited by KateB; 04-30-2015 at 12:05 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

That would be almost certainly mean westbound. I-90 runs pretty directly east and west through Wyoming.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Amy Danielle Gibson has very similar looking teeth, fits the height parameters, and is at the low end of the revised age range.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gibson_amy.html
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2531/0

The timeframe from 07-Dec-1990 to 13-Apr-1992 is about 16 months. That would be reasonable, given that she appears to be a habitual runaway.

Not sure how she would end up in Wyoming from North Carolina, but again - she is a habitual runaway, so the distance is plausible.

And her hair appears to fit the description (brown, slightly wavy, and dark brown pubic hair)

Unfortunately, the dental charts for NamUs UP cases aren't available anymore, so I don't know if the Jane Doe had "extensive dental work".
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 01-11-2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added Links

The teeth look a lot alike! Carl, I just want to thank you-you are truly amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by spamelope View Post
    The teeth look a lot alike! Carl, I just want to thank you-you are truly amazing!
    He is, isn't he ? A round of applause for our fearless leader!
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Here's the dental chart for UP9970 (i.e., this Jane Doe).

I suppose that five fillings on a 15-year old might qualify as "Extensive" dental work.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    That would be almost certainly mean westbound. I-90 runs pretty directly east and west through Wyoming.
    Except in the area where I-90JD was found, where it takes more of a north-south turn. But the only reason I might suggest it as at all material to identifying her is that if she were dumped on the eastbound side, she might be a little more likely to be coming from Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    Here's the dental chart for UP9970 (i.e., this Jane Doe).

I suppose that five fillings on a 15-year old might qualify as "Extensive" dental work.
    Thanks for turning that up. In all the particulars you've pointed out, Amy Danielle Gibson seems reasonable. She and I-90JD fortunately both have some form of DNA available. One thing that gives me pause is the UID's past childbirth and possible current pregnancy. From past press it does not appear that Amy Gibson had a child or was known to be pregnant when she disappeared. However:

Quote Originally Posted by News & Record (Greensboro, North Carolina)
    In November 1991, an anonymous caller said Amy had a child and was living in Randleman. Loy checked hospital records in all the surrounding counties, as well as health departments. Nobody had taken care of Amy Gibson.
    News & Record (Greensboro, North Carolina): The Crime Scene: Missing teen cold case turns 20 next month
    http://web.archive.org/web/201012070...1/entry/105320

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast