766 users online (89 members and 677 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Scientists can make it rain in the Abu Dhabi desert

Link

...Most of the artificially created storms were at the height of the summer in July and August when there is historically no rain at all, Britain's Daily Mail reported Monday.

Scientists working for United Arab Emirates President Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahyan have been using giant ionizers, metal antennas on steel poles, to generate fields of negatively charged particles.

The particles attract tiny specks of dust ever-present in the atmosphere in desert regions, and are carried up from the particle emitter by rising air over the hot desert.

Once the dust particles reach the right height for cloud formation, the charged particles attract water molecules present in the air, which then start to condense around them....

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    Probably not a good idea to mess with nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Probably not a good idea to mess with nature.
    Too late. We've been messy with nature for hundreds of years. (And that doesn't count things like aqueducts from pre-industrial cultures.)

But I think it's safe to say every "achievement" also brings an unintended consequence.

If this technology can be used in other areas and help feed people I say try it but monitor closely for any adverse effects first.

One story always sticks out in my mind, when I was little my father who was in the navy told me that the government was trying to stop hurricanes, they did something and the hurricane split into two hurricanes, and killed a lot of people on an island that wasn't expecting a hurricane. I always worry when they mess with the weather because by doing one thing could cause something catastrophic somewhere else. I think it only rains in the desert one in a while because it's suppose to. That's the way it has been for hundreds of years. If the water doesn't come to you, go to the water.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Last edited by KateB; 06-17-2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Hate to bring everything back to the dead fish and bird thing,but heard a guy on the radio say,he thinks this is the dead wildlife is due to governments manipulating weather.

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Quote Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
    One story always sticks out in my mind, when I was little my father who was in the navy told me that the government was trying to stop hurricanes, they did something and the hurricane split into two hurricanes, and killed a lot of people on an island that wasn't expecting a hurricane. I always worry when they mess with the weather because by doing one thing could cause something catastrophic somewhere else. I think it only rains in the desert one in a while because it's suppose to. That's the way it has been for hundreds of years. If the water doesn't come to you, go to the water.
    I just don't believe in messing with what God created. Like you said, it only rains there sometimes because that is the climate.
    When PEOPLE start trying to "perfect" God's work, I think we are in trouble.

JMO
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    I just don't believe in messing with what God created. Like you said, it only rains there sometimes because that is the climate.
    When PEOPLE start trying to "perfect" God's work, I think we are in trouble.

JMO
    So you're Amish? Even they aren't adverse to clearing the wilderness and tilling the soil.

Personally, I'm thankful for antibiotics, pasteurization and chlorinated water, not to mention dams (including the electricity they produce), seawalls, canals and flood channels.

Which isn't to say that all of these don't have unintended consequences. Or that we shouldn't be careful when we interfere with the weather.

I'm not a meteorologist but it seems that pulling moisture out of the air over the desert will make dryer air hit the oceans and could possibly lower the severity of hurricanes due to their being less moisture in the air. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    I'm not a meteorologist but it seems that pulling moisture out of the air over the desert will make dryer air hit the oceans and could possibly lower the severity of hurricanes due to their being less moisture in the air. JMO
    Perhaps. But despite my response to Kimberly above (I really do think it's too late to say we "shouldn't mess" with God's creation), I think one can tell from almost any weather report that weather systems are still poorly understood.

I certainly think scientists should proceed cautiously before moving rainfall from one place to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Perhaps. But despite my response to Kimberly above (I really do think it's too late to say we "shouldn't mess" with God's creation), I think one can tell from almost any weather report that weather systems are still poorly understood.

I certainly think scientists should proceed cautiously before moving rainfall from one place to another.
    I agree, I'm just saying there may actually be a benefit to it.

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    So you're Amish? Even they aren't adverse to clearing the wilderness and tilling the soil.

Personally, I'm thankful for antibiotics, pasteurization and chlorinated water, not to mention dams (including the electricity they produce), seawalls, canals and flood channels.

Which isn't to say that all of these don't have unintended consequences. Or that we shouldn't be careful when we interfere with the weather.
    No I'm not Amish. But, I believe trying to change weather is a lot different than the examples you gave. Tilling soil and changing weather patterns are very much a different thing. I'm sure you can understand that.

It's my opinion.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    I'm not sure that's a meteorologically sound notion since Atlantic hurricanes are spurned from the hot, dry air of the Sahara. Regardless, the main concern (when we start dk'ing around with the atmosphere) should always be the chain reaction that is sure to ensue.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Interesting.

Not sure what to make of it yet.

JMHO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast