Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: UK - Joanna Yeates, Clifton, Bristol, 17 December 2010 - #2

Quote Originally Posted by MMENJBRIT View Post
    So C/J is getting a High Profile Barrister.... to either file big damages as reported or .... to defend him?
    I can't see how he can sue the police for damages. If they allowed that it would set a dangerous precedent for anyone who is arrested and then not charged or convicted.

Colin Stagg was different as the police set a honeytrap and deliberately set out to let him incriminate himself.

Unless the police didn't follow protocol, CJ can't sue.

He may be able to sue the press though.
    Surely it's better to let a guilty man live then to let an innocent man die?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Jones View Post
    Ewwwwwww! yuk! It's bad enough going near my own b/f's socks!

Did the old boy take it home? If he did, that's weird.

I thought maybe he's seen it in the street a few days or so ago and then when he saw the news he realised it's significance. But yes I'd call the cops and let them pick it up.

I hope the police realise that not everyone wears matching socks.
    You make an excellent point about the matching socks thing.

The provenance of the sock could be, well, anything and from anywhere. Even I, a notorious squirreller-away of odd bits and pieces, have never picked up a sock on the street (though one could come in handy for, say, checking the oil in the car, come to think of it).

I do believe, from their refusal to rule out the possibility, that police have fiber evidence from the matching, missing sock and that that evidence proves it was the weapon with which she was strangled.

Maybe.

I have to agree with the comments about not wearing match socks, i find myself doing it quite a lot myself these days, not because is fashionable, but sometimes you get a hole in a decent pair of socks & find you always throw away a good one - so i keep the good ones now & match them back up again - not trying to sound like a skinflint btw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Destroyer For This Useful Post:

Paragraph from the Mail article about ITV's being banned from the recent press conference because of its reporting the night before:

During the contentious report, a former murder squad detective suggested that 'certain routine inquiries' such as a new painstaking search of the scene where the body was found had not been carried out.
    the article, at
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...onference.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

I came across a report which has a little more information on the forensic aspect of the investigation

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...forensic-teams

EXPERTS at one of Britain’s top forensic laboratories last night shed light on the vital work of crime scene investigators in the hunt for clues in Joanna’s murder.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by squid View Post
    I came across a report which has a little more information on the forensic aspect of the investigation

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...forensic-teams
    That Express article has an absolutely odd comment posted below it in the "Have Your Say" section.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

No Shoes, a potential contract killing?

Its been quite an interesting day. The police have revealed two things that they have known for a while.

Why? I am presuming this is to weed out false admissions.

The lack of boots tends to corroberate the theory in my previous post about opening the door and leaving it on the latch.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5959140&postcount=294"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased UK - Architect: Jo Yeates, 27, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 - #1[/ame].

It seems to me she has answered the door to let someone in she knew or was faintly acquainted with.

I know this sounds gruesome, but if you are dragging a body and its feet are dragging the ground, the sock is bound to come off.

I thought that the police had rulled out the use of a ligature. However, if this is wrong and she was killed with her climbing socks, its starting to sound like a contract killing. You don't kill somone by accident with a sock round the neck. That would rule out a fumbled sexual assault. The sock could have then fallen out of the killer's pocket.

A contract killer doesn't have a motive other than payment.

Place of death would have been the car.

I have great confidence in the police. The murder clear up rate is very high. They would have used the cadaver dogs and would have had access to all phone records, GPS, motorway CCTV etc etc.

They're getting close.

I know this is controversial, but the paymaster have been Greg? or Greg's lover? (male or female)
    Last edited by scottybail; 01-05-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: update

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottybail For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    That Express article has an absolutely odd comment posted below it in the "Have Your Say" section.
    WFgodot

Yes that is odd. He says he is a medium. i don't know if you from the UK but the Daily Express is a funny paper that carries immigration hate stories and stories saying Princess Diana was killed by MI6!. Every other day, there is a cure for cancer etc etc..... It attracts odd-balls.

I think he is saying he has contacted the police to say he wants some sort of 'psychic medium' role and they have ignored him. Probably a good thing - its attention seeking.

The reference to Luz is to MAddie - the little girl who was taken from a portuguese holiday resort.
    Last edited by scottybail; 01-05-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: update, spelling

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottybail For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by scottybail View Post
    WFgodot

YEs that is odd. He says he is a medium. i don't know if you from the UK but the Daily Express is a funny paper that carries immigration hate stories and stories daying princess dianna was killed. Every other day, there is a cure for cancer etc etc.....

It attracts odd-balls. I think he is saying he has contacted the police to say soemthing and they have ignored him.

The reference to Luz is to MAddie - the little girl who was taken from a portuguese holiday resort.
    Though I'm a Yank, yes, I do know the Daily Express's reputation. Thanks for the Luz = Maddie explanation, I'd forgotten that when I read the comment and wondered what he was getting at there.

Express Odd Comment

Yes it is very strange - so is the name Dahlia - there was a famous murder in America called The Black Dahlia.

Wind up?

Yes it is very strange - so is the name Dahlia - there was a famous murder in America called The Black Dahlia.

Wind up?
    Probably. The Dahlia's is perhaps America's most famous unsolved case. (Or at least the most famous involving a body severed in half and left in a public area!)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Police lift ITV ban in Joanna Yeates case

Avon & Somerset constabulary permit ITV News to attend news conferences after 'accurate and counterbalanced' report at lunchtime

20. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Police lift ITV ban in Joanna Yeates case

Avon & Somerset constabulary permit ITV News to attend news conferences after 'accurate and counterbalanced' report at lunchtime
    Oooh, touchy aren't they, the LE. They don't wanna play ball with meanies.

All this is detracting from the seriousness of the case, imo. To hell with banning ITV News, then un-banning them - just get on with your jobs you LE folks.

jmo

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jigzy For This Useful Post:

Probably. The Dahlia's is perhaps America's most famous unsolved case. (Or at least the most famous involving a body severed in half and left in a public area!)
    I know it's off topic but:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-18-2003-39261.asp

an ex cop reckons the killer was his dad.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt Jones For This Useful Post:

Yes, I've read Hodel's book, and it's quite convincing. (He's recently written another, implicating his father in all sorts of other famous crimes - Zodiac Killer, etc. etc. - which isn't nearly so.) Another fine book on the Dahlia case is "Exquisite Corpse: Surrealism and the Black Dahlia Murder," which includes some of the Hodel theory and is lavishly illustrated (stuff by Duchamp, Man Ray, etc. - the thesis is the Dahlia's posed staging in death was done by the murderer to imitate certain Surrealist artworks and themes).

Here's the WS Black Dahlia thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...t=black+dahlia

----

Agreed, jigzy, that whole ITV nonsense is the sign of a flustered investigation.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

I read the book by the guy who claims his father was the Black Dahlia killer, a murder which took place here in my town, my home town, Los Angeles.

IMO, it was based on little or no evidence. A reviewer even suggested Hodel had "issues" with his father.

Read it, but not if you are looking for the story of the Black Dahlia, or finding her killer.

Just a few thoughts:

Perhaps the act of dragging her body in haste to the verge in Longwood Lane made the sock come off on the road. I wonder if a gritter/snow plough cleared that road and dragged it some distance away - or if people allow dogs to roam freely - an animal could have moved it.

Perhaps the body was moved from an initial panicked dumping site in Clifton where the missing sock might have come off unnoticed. Her body might have been moved to Longwood Lane later, minus sock, in a bid to conceal it more effectively, but that didn't work out due to another vehicle coming, therefore another panicked deposit.

I would veeery much like to see the press reporting on sniffer dogs being involved in this case.

jmo

jmo

29. The Following User Says Thank You to jigzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jigzy View Post
    Just a few thoughts:

Perhaps the act of dragging her body in haste to the verge in Longwood Lane made the sock come off on the road. I wonder if a gritter/snow plough cleared that road and dragged it some distance away - or if people allow dogs to roam freely - an animal could have moved it.

Perhaps the body was moved from an initial panicked dumping site in Clifton where the missing sock might have come off unnoticed. Her body might have been moved to Longwood Lane later, minus sock, in a bid to conceal it more effectively, but that didn't work out due to another vehicle coming, therefore another panicked deposit.

I would veeery much like to see the press reporting on sniffer dogs being involved in this case.

jmo

jmo
    Agreed, both on the sock gone missing on Longwood Lane and possibly being taken away by the plow, and on the dogs.

Guardian continues the national media introspection with

Yeates murder: There is no excuse for the wholly unbalanced media reporting

Media lynching of an 'ideal suspect' is not unusual but attacks on Chris Jefferies' reputation are defamatory and break PCC code

The Enemies of Reason blog summarises the coverage as follows:

"His photograph has appeared on the front page of national newspapers 11 times. He was described as "weird", "lewd", "strange", "creepy", "angry", "odd", "disturbing", "eccentric", "a loner" and "unusual" in the course of just one article.

That the former English teacher should have liked the classic Oscar Wilde poem The Ballad of Reading Gaol was described by one article as "Chris Jefferies' favourite poem was about killing wife". That the teacher should have taught pupils about the horror of the Holocaust and a classic novel by Wilkie Collins was described as him being "obsessed with death".

He was accused of being a 'peeping tom' by people who never made a complaint to police about his activities. One front-page headline asked of the landlord "Could this man hold the key to Joanna's death?" and the next day asked "Was Jo's body hidden next to her flat?" next to a picture of him".

32. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

"Could this man hold the key to Joanna's death?"

Hold the key - dear God, how long did it take for the reporter/editor to come up with that one

34. The Following User Says Thank You to jigzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jigzy View Post
    "Could this man hold the key to Joanna's death?"

Hold the key - dear God, how long did it take for the reporter/editor to come up with that one
    LOL. Crisp and inventive use of the language, certainly. Chaucer weeps.

How could I have missed this one, referred to in the Guardian piece and published in the Mirror?

Joanna Yeates murder investigation: Chris Jefferies' 'favourite' poem was about killing wife

I'm not sure if I "stared vacantly into space" when I used to teach that one; at least I didn't have blue hair.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

[COLOR="Plum"][COLOR="rgb(221, 160, 221)"][COLOR="rgb(221, 160, 221)"]But detectives had been keeping a close eye on retired public school teacher Jefferies even before his claims surfaced in public, sources with knowledge of the investigation said.
    I don't think it was ever divulged why detectives had been watching him and what evidence they had connecting him with suspicion of murder

Who knows.... L/E may have been watching him prior to Joanna's disappearance/murder.
    Just a thought.

re. CJ

I should be very surprised (and in disbelief of the incompetency of it) if the LE were NOT interested in him before he allegedly claimed he saw some people that night. The fact that he is JY's landlord and has access via key would certainly mean that he should have been one of considerable interest to the LE given that they could see no obvious signs of forced entry.

jmo.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jigzy For This Useful Post:

Agreed. CJ had the means and opportunity to do it; as for motive, that's an amorphous thing best left to the courts - police working the case in real time can't concern themselves with it, overly. It can consist of many things, but not so the means and opportunity.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

I simply do not 'get' the delay in reporting to the LE if what GR's mother says is correct in this article:

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/news/Fa...l/article.html

Earlier Mrs Reardon had spoken of when Greg called her when he arrived home.

She said: "He phoned me on Sunday and said 'I've just got home and Jo's not here'.

"At the time, I told him not to worry as she must have just nipped out. Then he said all her stuff was still there and later reported her missing."

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jigzy For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast