The Homeless Man with the Golden Voice: things are looking up!

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Meet the homeless man with the golden radio voice... and now he is set to make a million

He's the penniless man with the golden voice... and now he's finally found the Midas touch.

For years, homeless Ted Williams has been forced to eke out a living begging on the roadside in Columbus, Ohio.

But now the recovering alcoholic is set to transform his life after a passing camera crew captured his priceless asset - his voice.

The unlikely star was today besieged with job offers after the recording of his impossibly smooth tones spread like wildfire across the web.

Mr Williams, dressed in a shabby camouflage jacked and with weather-beaten hair, obliges with a series of mellifluous radio voiceover style jingles delivered through crooked teeth, before chatting about his 'gift'.

'When I was 14 I listened to one of our local area radio announcers and I went on a field trip to meet the guy, and he looked nothing like what he sounded like,' said Williams, who was born in Brooklyn, New York.

'So I said to him about that and he said, "Listen, radio is defined as theatre of mind".
---
'And then alcohol and drugs and a few other things became part of my life.

'But I'm two years clean and I'm trying hard to get it back and hopefully, one of these TV or radio stations will say "Hey, I need a voiceover" or something.'

Ken Andrews, a volunteer for Mount Carmel Outreach who knows Williams, said, 'He's a good guy. But we never knew he had "the voice".'

Williams has already appeared as a guest on local radio station WNCI (97.9 FM) and the station's director, Tony Florentino, said they have already fielded queries from ESPN and MTV.

'We're on pins and needles,' said Florentino.

'I think he really has no idea how big this is going to be.'
---

much more, with video clip, at

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...illionaire-internet-video-catapults-work.html

Poor guy is sitting in Ohio right now not able to board his flight to NYC because he doesn't have proper ID to fly. He was suppose to be on his way to be on NBC's Today Show, tomorrow morning, and to see his 92 yr old mom, of whom he has not seen in years.

I hope that this time, his voice brings him all the joy and happiness he can handle. Stay clean, stay sober, and stay employed...what a glorious 'come back' story that would be, you know?

I hope he makes it to NY...

Best-
Herding Cats

Herding Cats,he made it to NY!He was on the Today Show with Matt Lauer.People magazine has the link.

I am not sure if this will show up as link but it is here http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20455292,00.html

I have never been good with html lol

But this story has warmed my heart.I am at work and I keep thinking about what he has had to overcome and how thankful he is.He could not contain his enthusiasm and joy while being interviewed.I wish Ted Williams the best.I would love for him to do the movie trailers because his voice is phenomenal!I am hoping this time around that he will put his best foot forward and not repeat his mistakes.Ted Williams would also be an awesome inspirational speaker.Helping other recovering addicts overcome their struggles.

I just feel so touched by his story :)

I saw this man on the TV. Wow.

He has my prayers.

I am so happy for this man. I hope he takes the offer by the Cavs..They do many generous things for Cleveland.I felt so sorry for him when I first saw the video, it has been soooooo cold in Cleveland.That is where the tape was made ~ 480 and Ridge Rd..not far from where I am.He certainnly does has a voice fit for broadcasting.God Bless him.

God gives in incriments and Mr. Williams has been Blessed a bajillion fold.

Mr. Williams was so humble while talking to Anne Curry or whatever her name is. Her and Al Roker. I was a nervous wreck watching that. Mr. Williams said he couldn't even go outside to have a ciggie as people were gathering around him. They also read a statement from his mom to him on the air.

This poor guy. He outright said he thought he needed a nerve pill. He had a woman help him who deals with meditation. He was put up in a lovely hotel. He was so gracious. He's saying hi to his kids and grandkids. Meeting famous people. Imagine the whirlwind. I thought he was gonna jump out of his seat and I know I was.

Imagine being homeless and the next thing you're on National TV. That's enough let alone seeing your mom after 20 years. Sleeping in nice digs and eating what you want when yesterday a dollar was all you hoped for.

May the Lord keep him and help him stay clean and sober. He has such a gift. All those emotions and changes though can effect his clean time if he doesn't learn how to deal with them in a positive way.

Let's root for Mr. Willams, and send positive vibes and prayers.

God gives in incriments and Mr. Williams has been Blessed a bajillion fold.

Mr. Williams was so humble while talking to Anne Curry or whatever her name is. Her and Al Roker. I was a nervous wreck watching that. Mr. Williams said he couldn't even go outside to have a ciggie as people were gathering around him. They also read a statement from his mom to him on the air.

This poor guy. He outright said he thought he needed a nerve pill. He had a woman help him who deals with meditation. He was put up in a lovely hotel. He was so gracious. He's saying hi to his kids and grandkids. Meeting famous people. Imagine the whirlwind. I thought he was gonna jump out of his seat and I know I was.

Imagine being homeless and the next thing you're on National TV. That's enough let alone seeing your mom after 20 years. Sleeping in nice digs and eating what you want when yesterday a dollar was all you hoped for.

May the Lord keep him and help him stay clean and sober. He has such a gift. All those emotions and changes though can effect his clean time if he doesn't learn how to deal with them in a positive way.

Let's root for Mr. Willams, and send positive vibes and prayers.

Hi Philly, ITA with you and have had the same thought, that it might be a challenging road he is heading out on now and I hope he gets some help in learning to deal with the changes he will have. Going from nothing to probably almost everything I think it is his humble way that will carry him forward. And if he takes that sports broadcasting job maybe they will assign a 'Frasier' type psychologist to him. Gosh, next to Frasier {Kelsey Grammer} I think he has the most mellow and resonant voice I've almost ever heard.

I'm a rootin' for him too ;}

xox

I don't have a lot of hope that Mr. Williams will clean up his act.

Frankly, his 20-year history of being a thief (starting in 1990 and lasting up to May of this year) make him a poor example of the plight of the homeless. Would love to see a more deserving person who really did "fall on hard times" get this wonderful second chance.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/06/ted-williams-mug-shots-released-photos/

I am hopeful that this man can finally get it right. I saw him on GMA this morning with his mom. I know he has a checkered past, but many down and out folk do. Quite a few of the homeless are homeless because of addiction, bad decisions, etc. That is not to say that there aren't many who also have simply slipped from living paycheck to paycheck to the streets because of one big catasrophic event. But many are there because of actions that in hindsight, contributed to their current state.

Despite his own bad choices that have put him on the street, I think everyone deserves an opportunity to better themselves. I am really rooting for this man, that this time, his sobriety sticks. It sounds as if he is getting a good support system together.

Godspeed sir.

Daughter claims he is not sober. Ted claims he is. Ted claims it does feel like too much too soon sometimes.

Publicly apologizes to his daughter for not having addressed some of the emotional issues with his daughter regarding his abandonment of her. She is justifiably angry about that, per Ted, that was the basis for the argument they had.

Per interview on Extra which aired this evening.

Never fear. Doc Phil is on it.

Actually I watched that interview prior to the DD calling him out. Well it's pre taped so who knows? I'm pretty guillable. I believed the man. Just a few times he wasn't so humble and I noticed he caught it and backed up. Pretty good for a 20 year history with addiction.

Now if he robbed me or stole something from me I probably wouldn't be that forgiving. He didn't though. There's a plan in this somewhere. Bigger than us probably.

Just hoping Mr. Williams and his family can heal.

Not sure what to make of this guy, yet. He does seem truly down and out. And while I do think people can change, sometimes whatever bad behavior we learned or engaged in to cope or get by is hard to let go of.

Wouldn't it be great if this were a true story, and this guy had really turned his life around and reconcilled with his family?

I just hope in another few months we don't all learn that it was a set up.

Was hoome with sick son today and caught Dr. Phil show. I have concerns about this GF of his that he says he can't let go. Sounds like she was part of his addict life and his family does not like her. He says it would be wrong to just cut her loose now that life is improving for him.

This gives me great concern. You cannot make a fresh start of thing if you drag your old, unhealthy associations along with you to the new life. All that happens is that the new live becomes the old life.

Mr. Williams, I will be praying for you sir.

Was hoome with sick son today and caught Dr. Phil show. I have concerns about this GF of his that he says he can't let go. Sounds like she was part of his addict life and his family does not like her. He says it would be wrong to just cut her loose now that life is improving for him.

This gives me great concern. You cannot make a fresh start of thing if you drag your old, unhealthy associations along with you to the new life. All that happens is that the new live becomes the old life.

Mr. Williams, I will be praying for you sir.
Yeah, she needs to go unless she is interested in rehab herself. Hopefully he will realize this.

I really hope he's getting the help he needs and that he stays clean. As others have said, he's got a rough road ahead of him because not a lot of people can handle a famous life. And if he gets a lot of money coming his way, that will make it even harder, imo.

I worry about the fragility of his mind and his sobriety. It's such a fine line and so few people really understand how precarious that issue of sobriety is. I hope he remains happy, healthy, and sober.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back