976 users online (169 members and 807 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557

    OR - Police Chief Ralph Painter, 55, shot to death, Rainier, 5 Jan 2011

    Breaking News:

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40930697...me_and_courts/

    Officer shot to death during struggle in Oregon

    Victim reportedly town's police chief; suspect wounded in ensuing shootout

    "A police officer was shot to death Wednesday in a shopping complex just before noon, and the suspect was wounded and taken to a hospital, law enforcement authorities said.

    The Columbia County Sheriff's office confirmed that an officer from the Rainier Police Department had been killed. One witness said the officer was the town's police chief.

    The shooting occurred in a small shopping complex in Rainier after the report of a disturbance at a car audio shop. The officer responded, a struggle ensued at the store and he was shot to death....."

    and

    "....the officer was Police Chief Ralph Painter, 55...."

    more at link


    More information:

    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...eing_shot.html


    NOTE: The name of the dead officer is still unconfirmed.
    Last edited by Missizzy; 01-05-2011 at 07:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    Ranier is a small town north of Portland right on the Columbia River.

    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...ereo_shop.html

    Bullets, sadness tear through Rainier as police chief killed in confrontation at stereo shop


    "....Rainier's well-liked police chief, Ralph Painter, 55, had just been shot at the stereo shop while responding to a call about a man acting suspiciously. He was pronounced dead a short time later at a Longview [WA] hospital...."

    and

    "...According to various witness reports, the incident began when the suspect, later identified as 21-year-old Daniel Armaugh Butts of Kalama, Wash., was looking at a Chevrolet that was parked inside the bay. Workers at the shop became suspicious and called police at 10:47 a.m...."

    and

    "...When the shooting ended, Butts had been wounded and was flown to Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland by LifeFlight helicopter. Columbia County Sheriff Jeff Dickerson said he is expected to survive...."

    more at link



    more at link

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,581
    Prayers offered up for Chief Painter's family, friends and community.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,268
    Horrible, sad news. Seems like we have had quite a few law enforcement deaths recently.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    Ranier is a very small and close-knit community. This will hit them so hard. By all accounts Chief Painter was very well liked and respected. And he left behind such a large family. My prayers are with all of them. My husband said that the flag was at half-mast in front of the Ashland Police Dept.


    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...h_painter.html

    21-year-old charged with aggravated murder in fatal shooting of Rainier Police Chief Ralph Painter


    "A 21-year-old Kalama, Wash., man faces aggravated murder charges today in the death of Rainier Police Chief Ralph Painter and is expected to be booked today into the Columbia County Jail in the shooting, authorities said.

    A new account of Wednesday's fatal encounter indicates the suspect shot Painter after wrestling the chief's gun away from him. Police so far haven't confirmed that detail.

    A Facebook memorial page set up for Painter, 55, gives this account of what happened:

    “Chief Ralph Painter was shot and killed after responding to a local car stereo shop in which a man was attempting to take a car that did not belong to him. When Chief Painter made contact with the man a struggle ensued. The subject was able to disarm him and then fatally shot him."

    and

    "...Chief Painter is survived by his wife and seven children....”

    and

    "... Daniel Armaugh Butts is accused of shooting the police chief at Rainier Sound Authority..."


    More at link (including a sweet photo of the chief helping out at a donut fundraiser)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    Oh, this is breaking my heart. Here in Oregon, we revere our police chiefs. I have so many friends in LE and this hits so close. Rest in peace, Chief Painter. You were a brave brave man...an honor to your community and to your family. God be with you.

    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...rned_home.html

    After a somber procession, Rainier police chief's body returned home

    "To the sound of muffled cries and sobbing, the body of fallen Police Chief Ralph Painter came back home this afternoon after a procession of vehicles that stretched from Clackamas to Rainier.

    At least 60 to 70 patrol cars, fire trucks and other vehicles escorted the SUV carrying Painter's body, which was being returned from the state medical examiner's office, where his autopsy had been performed...."

    More at link


    The officers lining the bridges through Portland just bring me to my knees.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    I am becoming more and more alarmed at the number of seemingly mentally healthy and bright young men in their early 20s who snap and commit violence. Are they off their meds, experiencing an onset of illness or are they responding violently because of a medication? Is it somehow connected to the fact that marijuana is far more potent than it once was. Oregon is known for extremely high THC pot--medical grade--as medical pot is legal. Daniel's father said he'd stopped smoking pot in August and then began a descent into mental illness. Had the pot been helping in some way?

    I've been deeply involved with child welfare and teen and young adult issues for 30 odd years now, and I swear there's an uptick of this particular profile. Notice that Butts was in a seemingly well known and "safe" place, with his sister, and helped by a man who had known him since infancy. And yet he fought with the Police Chief, a man he knew, and shot him in the head.

    Warning: Butts mug shot is downright scary. He's just not there at all.

    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...tml#incart_mce

    Accused killer of Rainier police chief had become increasingly erratic before fatal encounter


    "The young man accused of killing Rainier Police Chief Ralph Painter had slid into wild mood swings in recent weeks, becoming increasingly erratic before the fatal confrontation at a car stereo store. Friends and family were worried about Daniel Armaugh Butts.

    Last week, the 21-year-old from Kalama, Wash., was in Rainier at the Exhaust Shop and Tire Center. It's right next door to the Sound Authority, where Wednesday's shooting took place. Butts was with his sister Susan, looking for tires. At one point, he went to the back of the tire shop where the owner, DF, had several vehicles parked. Something was strange about his behavior, and DF, who has known Butts since he was an infant, was cautious....."

    and

    "....The shooting has shattered the small community, leaving friends and family grappling with one question: Why?"

    more at link

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...ut_people.html

    Slain Rainier police chief Ralph Painter: "He always cared about people"


    "Hundreds of men, women and children lined the sidewalks of Rainier on Thursday in a cold evening rain to watch the long, silent procession bring home the body of their beloved police chief.

    Some sobbed. Some hugged. Some stood in silent sentry as dozens of patrol cars rolled into town with their lights flashing, escorting a sport-utility vehicle carrying Ralph Painter's body to a Rainier mortuary. He was a father, son, brother and grandfather. A marathon runner and musician. But most of all he was the town's police chief whose generous, easy-going spirit uplifted many lives...."

    and

    "....Painter, a 25-year veteran of the Rainier Police Department, led the force for five years...."

    more at link

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    5,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    I am becoming more and more alarmed at the number of seemingly mentally healthy and bright young men in their early 20s who snap and commit violence. Are they off their meds, experiencing an onset of illness or are they responding violently because of a medication? Is it somehow connected to the fact that marijuana is far more potent than it once was. Oregon is known for extremely high THC pot--medical grade--as medical pot is legal. Daniel's father said he'd stopped smoking pot in August and then began a descent into mental illness. Had the pot been helping in some way?

    I've been deeply involved with child welfare and teen and young adult issues for 30 odd years now, and I swear there's an uptick of this particular profile. Notice that Butts was in a seemingly well known and "safe" place, with his sister, and helped by a man who had known him since infancy. And yet he fought with the Police Chief, a man he knew, and shot him in the head.

    Warning: Butts mug shot is downright scary. He's just not there at all.

    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...tml#incart_mce

    Accused killer of Rainier police chief had become increasingly erratic before fatal encounter


    "The young man accused of killing Rainier Police Chief Ralph Painter had slid into wild mood swings in recent weeks, becoming increasingly erratic before the fatal confrontation at a car stereo store. Friends and family were worried about Daniel Armaugh Butts.

    Last week, the 21-year-old from Kalama, Wash., was in Rainier at the Exhaust Shop and Tire Center. It's right next door to the Sound Authority, where Wednesday's shooting took place. Butts was with his sister Susan, looking for tires. At one point, he went to the back of the tire shop where the owner, DF, had several vehicles parked. Something was strange about his behavior, and DF, who has known Butts since he was an infant, was cautious....."

    and

    "....The shooting has shattered the small community, leaving friends and family grappling with one question: Why?"

    more at link
    The police chief looked like such a nice man too.

    I really think it's all the cuts in Mental health care. They've cut it again in my area. just my opinion
    About the time we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. Herbert Hoover

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,228
    Quote Originally Posted by tiredblondy View Post
    The police chief looked like such a nice man too.

    I really think it's all the cuts in Mental health care. They've cut it again in my area. just my opinion
    Hi TiredBlondy, I think you're right about the cuts in medicine for Mental health care, especially in Oregon.

    I was bartending in the middle of downtown Portland {3rd and Burnside} in the late 90's when the State cut funds for medicine to these people, many of whom were homeless and bi-polar.

    It took a few months to appear, but we started noticing how these people had changed emotionally. It was a bit scary as they often were on edge and hostile. So sad as these people had little to fight with to get what they needed. And it changed the feeling in the streets, on the busses, etc for everyone.


    About the Chief, I read that they think every person in Ranier knew him. God Bless his family.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    I'm in Oregon too and one of our special needs sons (who is 25) has been in the lottery for a medical card for 4 years. He has a number of mental health diagnoses, two separate year long stays at the old State Hospital, brittle Type 1 Diabetes, and liver/kidney failure. Anyone would think he'd be a shoe in but so far, no luck.

    He's been turned down time and time and time again and I'm a darned good advocate. That tells me that many are slipping through the cracks. The irony is that our son uses the ER as his medical resource and is a frequent guest of the ICU. He pumps gas and works his ever-loving bunnies off and is proud to do it. He's 25 and already has no feeling in his fingers and feet. But when are taxpayers going to realize that a penny saved is a penny earned? Our son not only skips his psychotropics (which can cost upwards to $500 month), he'll skip his insulin when he can't pull together $400/month. We all help him (and he sleeps in our garage) but he's proud and sometimes will just skip eating when he has no money for insulin. There are patient assistance programs but they typically require you to have a regular physician. People without money, just don't. Plus there's a massive amount of paperwork, documentation, and oversight.

    It's really heartbreaking to me.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    282
    Well for a start here's a problem in the oregonlive article, staring them in the face:

    Mikel Butts, who raised Daniel and Susan alone, said their mother is the former wife of his brother. He said she called him at his Rainier home one day years ago and said she was desperate and needed a place to park her trailer. They ended up having a relationship, leading to the births of the two children.

    Mikel Butts said he hoped to keep the family together by moving to a new home in Kalama, Wash. But it didn't work out and the children's mother took off, he said.
    More parents who think they can behave any old how and then are surprised when their kids act out...this child (yes child) was conceived out of a relationship with his father's brother's wife, which I assume they have been told, and that can't possibly feel good, then they were abandoned by their mother. What's wrong with this picture?

    Devastating for the Police Chief's family, condolences to them.
    This is going to be very sophisticated . . . consumer sleuthing, ... The degree of intelligence that you can compile this way is really mind-boggling.
    -Marian Salzman

    ____________________
    Never Forget: Zahra Clare Baker

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    I'm in Oregon too and one of our special needs sons (who is 25) has been in the lottery for a medical card for 4 years. He has a number of mental health diagnoses, two separate year long stays at the old State Hospital, brittle Type 1 Diabetes, and liver/kidney failure. Anyone would think he'd be a shoe in but so far, no luck.

    He's been turned down time and time and time again and I'm a darned good advocate. That tells me that many are slipping through the cracks. The irony is that our son uses the ER as his medical resource and is a frequent guest of the ICU. He pumps gas and works his ever-loving bunnies off and is proud to do it. He's 25 and already has no feeling in his fingers and feet. But when are taxpayers going to realize that a penny saved is a penny earned? Our son not only skips his psychotropics (which can cost upwards to $500 month), he'll skip his insulin when he can't pull together $400/month. We all help him (and he sleeps in our garage) but he's proud and sometimes will just skip eating when he has no money for insulin. There are patient assistance programs but they typically require you to have a regular physician. People without money, just don't. Plus there's a massive amount of paperwork, documentation, and oversight.

    It's really heartbreaking to me.
    Heartbreaking to me too Missizzy just hearing about your son. I am so glad he has you as his advocate and his own room, even if it is a garage. I hope something good happens for him. In this day and age no one should ever suffer with loss of medicine. xox

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    If you read further, though, you'll find that this man has stood by those kids since they were very young and they've been raised in a very small and close-knit town. The owner of the tire shop and the police chief had both known the young man his entire life. I'm not negating the children's beginnings but they have had a good deal of consistency.

    Eleven of my fourteen children were born to prostitutes or were the outcome of incestuous rapes and I'm the very first to vote for NATURE (hands down) but it does seem that this young man was struggling and services were not made available. Many say that they were worried about him. Well......

    I was recently floored when I advised a homeless son in Portland to seek out the County Mental Health Agency for his paralyzing symptoms of PTSD from his rape years ago. I was shocked when he was turned away because he didn't have $56 for a visit. No, far more than shocked. When I called them to try to pay by credit card, they refused. They'd already referred him to a church for help. It was too late. He disappeared again. I haven't heard from him in 11 months.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    Scandi--If you were here in the 90s, you surely remember the people who literally died because of lack of medicine. People were deprived of their anti-seizure meds, heart meds and insulin. It was beyond belief.

    FWIW, our garage is well heated, he has his dog (with vet care paid for by us), and he surely has kitchen privileges. It's not what I expected, though. He's run up over $50,000 at our local hospital. They stopped billing. Another son recently had a mild heart attack related to his Marfan's Syndrome. The hospital didn't even bother to bill. They know there's no funds. Does this make sense?

    My guess is that, even if Butts had sought mental health care in Ranier, it would have simply been a band-aid. And all because of this, we lost a fine fine police officer. And seven children lost their father.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-28-2016, 01:55 PM
  2. GUILTY KY - Police Chief Randy Lacy, 55, shot to death, Clay City, 13 June 2007
    By kygal in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2015, 03:11 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2015, 05:18 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 10:10 AM

Tags for this Thread