Thread: New Jersey man seeking "portal to hell" stabs 2

New Jersey man seeking "portal to hell" stabs 2

NJ police: Man seeking 'portal to hell' stabs 2

UNION, N.J. – A man who claimed he was seeking the "portal to hell" repeatedly stabbed two women early Friday after they noticed misplaced items in their backyard and opened the door to a shed where he was staked out, law enforcement officials said.

A neighbor jumped a fence after hearing the women scream and hit their assailant, 25-year-old Morgan Mesz, in the head with a baseball bat, ending the attacks, authorities said. The two women were seriously hurt.
    ---
    The stabbings occurred at around 6 a.m. after the two women, ages 50 and 53, let their dog outside. They noticed contents of their shed strewn across the lawn, according to the Union County prosecutor's office. The shed door, though, was closed.

Mesz, armed with a knife and hatchet, pounced on the pair after one woman opened the shed door, authorities said. Union Township Police Director Dan Zieser told the Star-Ledger of Newark that Mesz said he told them that he cleared out the shed as he sought the "portal to hell."
    ---
    Both woman were in critical condition at University Hospital in Newark, the prosecutor's office said Friday night.

Mesz would be undergoing a psychological evaluation, authorities said.
    ---

the rest, at
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110108/...tabbing_attack

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

One of the victims is in extremely critical condition and it is unclear if she will survive.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...abs_two_w.html

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:

That is terrifying. My prayers are with both of the ladies and their family. Thank God they had a baseball bat or they'd both have killed, most likely, and he might have moved on the others.

Morgan's MS:

Not what I expected--likes Hank Williams and rodeo, works in construction, country boy from Bozeman, MT but lives in NJ, built, lots of friends, love guns (doesn't say knives). Not a word about the occult or religious fanaticism. What a tragedy. It really does look like a psychotic break.

Wait....I'll bet this is it. He's now really into boxing (tough man competitions). What'll you bet a combination of steroids and high THC pot (medical grade). We keep seeing this. The two used together seem to exacerbate symptoms for anyone teetering on the edge. JMO.

http://www.myspace.com/208023188

I know people have always "gone off their meds" but 20-somethings going without due to a lack of medical care and insurance is becoming a major problem. And that's also the age that this disorder rears its ugly head. Being in construction tells me he almost certainly had no access to care. I'd be shocked if he'd even worked recently. This is a priority if we aren't planning on housing the mentally ill. IMO, there needs to be a case manager overseeing the dispensing of the medication for those with severe psychosis and for periodic check-ins. It makes sense and would save money and lives. I'm still waiting on that implant (like birth control) that the doctors keep talking about.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

My prayers are with Congresswoman Gifford but I have to stay busy and distract myself. Please forgive me.

Looks like Mesz was a bull-rider for several years but says he lives and breathes boxing "six days a week". Not sure if that means that he is a churchgoer and thus doesn't box on Sunday or what. Anyway, he does seem to be winning some competitions in a category called COMBATT:

http://www.njboxinghof.org/cgi-bin/amatnews2a.pl

Does anyone know if all boxers who compete are drug tested for steroids or am I being really naive? The man is built and looks very much like the bull-riders I knew in Texas. I fail to see why he would have even needed steroids, if he was indeed using them. He also states that he likes to draw, read and snowboard. So, athletic but well-rounded.

Until he stabbed two poor women.

Hmmm...this is interesting. On his MS page, he states that he's 5'8" with "more to love". That photo of him shows a very lean and well built young man. There is nothing extra at all. I wonder if construction and boxing took away pounds or if something else did.

"....My style is authentic. There are no words to explain me ask anyone who has ever met me. Ive been there done that, twice. I'm addicted to the rush. I can ride the hair off of just about anything!! I love to rock out I don't do drugs....."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    My prayers are with Congresswoman Gifford but I have to stay busy and distract myself. Please forgive me.
    Exactly, Missizzy. Me too, me too.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

I didn't realize that it was Mr. Agudelo, the neighbor, who grabbed a souvenir baseball bat, hopped the fence and attacked Mesz, to protect the women. He was also stabbed. What an amazingly brave man. He's a hero, that's for sure.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

OK, not sure if this is of any importance but there's a well known boxer/kickboxer with the same last name as the neighbor, who has two listed addresses within 20 miles. Even though, I realize that Mesz could also be a neighbor, I wonder what brought him to be in that shed at 6 in the morning. Did he sleep there or wander over there from his own home or a friend's home? I also noticed that he has a shuriken (throwing star) tattooed on his back. That makes me wonder if he also participated in mixed martial arts. Out of my league here. I'm a knitter. I don't know sports.

Not sure if everyone remembers the absolutely horrifying murder in the far northern California town of Klamath last March. The suspect was a competing "mixed martial arts cagefighter" named Jarrod Wyatt. He was said to be under the influence of steroids and psychedelic mushrooms and used a "sharp bladed instrument" to kill his friend. He was so violent that he was housed (before being convicted) at Pelican Bay. That's almost unheard of. I don't want to even type out what he did but you can read the details here:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/cali...nclick_check=1

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/stor...-charge-052610

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Me, I've been wondering what exactly constitutes a "portal to hell."

And how do people get hooked on these devastatingly wrongheaded activities?

I know - many answers, mental illness being the chief culprit. I'm from Kansas and, near Lawrence (big university town), the very small town of Stull is alleged to contain a so-called "portal to hell." It's quite well-known actually, among those who dabble / get hooked on these sorts of things.

As near as anyone can figure, the tale's actual genesis was a paper written by a KU student, making it up as he went along.

It's interesting enough, I guess; I've been to Stull and have in fact looked at the graveyard near the abandoned church by the side of the road - a completely non-descript location, with barely the atmosphere such a place - an abandoned church and a cemetery - ought to have. Yet others see things so differently.

What exactly are they looking for? And why?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

My best friend is from Lawrence, Kansas and I know all about Stull. I've spent hundreds of hours researching the Randy Leach case and occult activity in the Kansas area in the late 80s. She's writing a book on the case and is a WS member.

I've come across many references to a purported portal or gate to Hell. It's also written about quite extensively in current fiction and pops up in film and video games.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Prayers the women recover.

I was not familiar with the "portal of hell" and this is just insane.

"Mesz would be undergoing a psychological evaluation, authorities said."

I think this is one case we can all agree on that we need to call the
    Drs. in on!!

Goz

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gozgals For This Useful Post:

Bail set at $1.5 million

Yes, Mr. Agudelo is one heck of an amazing hero!

http://www.nj.com/suburbannews/index...5_million.html

Agudelo suffered several non-life-threatening stab wounds as he fought with Mesz and later received treatment at a local hospital and was released.

"This act of selflessness and bravery is commendable," said Romankow. "Without Mr. Agudelo's brave actions this situation could have been much worse."
    “The truth is rarely pure and never simple.”~Oscar Wilde

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tinsamd For This Useful Post:

That is terrifying. My prayers are with both of the ladies and their family. Thank God they had a baseball bat or they'd both have killed, most likely, and he might have moved on the others.

Morgan's MS:

Not what I expected--likes Hank Williams and rodeo, works in construction, country boy from Bozeman, MT but lives in NJ, built, lots of friends, love guns (doesn't say knives). Not a word about the occult or religious fanaticism. What a tragedy. It really does look like a psychotic break.

Wait....I'll bet this is it. He's now really into boxing (tough man competitions). What'll you bet a combination of steroids and high THC pot (medical grade). We keep seeing this. The two used together seem to exacerbate symptoms for anyone teetering on the edge. JMO.

http://www.myspace.com/208023188

I know people have always "gone off their meds" but 20-somethings going without due to a lack of medical care and insurance is becoming a major problem. And that's also the age that this disorder rears its ugly head. Being in construction tells me he almost certainly had no access to care. I'd be shocked if he'd even worked recently. This is a priority if we aren't planning on housing the mentally ill. IMO, there needs to be a case manager overseeing the dispensing of the medication for those with severe psychosis and for periodic check-ins. It makes sense and would save money and lives. I'm still waiting on that implant (like birth control) that the doctors keep talking about.
    If we went by his Myspace I'd say this is a perfectly normal young person. However, there's no way in Holy Hell and excuse the spin on words that this guy got ripped like that without steroids or something similar.

The accupuncture makes me think he'd be against drugs as he said, but sometimes it's the "I am so anti-drug" people that finally do drugs and go bonkers.

Probably smoked wet.

My question is this................why would you need a knife to find the portal of hell? Do you need a hatchet to get there?

In the photos one of his girlfriends has on what looks like a rune on her necklace. He says he's originally from Lithuania on his Facebook.

I'm looking into this too much. Young person went out his mind and stabbed innocent people.

Sadly I can't find an update of how the victims are.

Portal Of Hell. Don't they get there's enough hell on this earth to be dealing with?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Portal Of Hell. Don't they get there's enough hell on this earth to be dealing with?
    Once again, you've summed it up exactly.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

She always does.

Concerning the Portal to Hell or the Gates to Hell, I remember reading some articles while researching the Mohler case concerning the Mormon beliefs about the Garden of Eden and Hell. IIRC, Hell was supposed to be somewhere to the north of the Garden. Being that the early Mormons believed that the Garden had existed in Jackson County, Missouri, thus why Joseph Smith stopped there, my guess is that is why there's so many supposed Gates to Hell around Stull and other little Missouri and Kansas towns. I am no theologian, however, and if I need to be corrected, please do so.

NJ's a far cry from Missouri, however.

In other news about this guy, it looks like he arrived in NJ a few years ago with a male relative who got a large construction project there. I thought it a bit odd for a bull-riding construction worker to show up in Union, NJ but that seems to be the link.

Any word on the condition of the two ladies? I know this shouldn't matter but it does to me. They saved their dog--with the help of the their Knight in Shining Armor. Bless their hearts. I can't even imagine the horror of opening your shed door to find a maniac wielding an axe. I'm afraid I would have died of heart failure before he even hit me. Maybe they put up a fight to save that puppy.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

While checking back on this case, I found an update and some promising news about the victims. So happy about that!!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...al_to_hel.html

Victims of Union 'portal to hell' attack are recovering from life-threatening wounds
    March 16, 2011

"The Union Township women who were repeatedly stabbed by a man searching for the "portal to hell" are doing markedly better, family and authorities said today...."

and

"...Their alleged attacker, 25-year-old Morgan Mesz of Union Township, remains at the Anne Klein Diagnostic Center in Trenton, police director Dan Zieser said. He’s charged with three counts of attempted murder...."

and

"....praise continues for neighbor Hernan Agudelo, who police credit with saving the friends’ lives. He hit the alleged attacker with a small baseball bat and held him until officers arrived. He was given $1,400 in awards on Tuesday night, and will be nominated for a hero award from the 200 Club of Union County..."

more at link

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Good find, Missizzy. Thanks for the follow-up and keeping this alive.

I was looking through New Posts just now and saw "New Jersey man seeking 'portal to hell' stabs 2."

"Wow," I thought, "that looks interesting!"

Then I noticed I'd actually started the thread; I'd forgotten it. Duh on me.

Again, thanks. It makes a difference when people who read threads you've started care enough to keep up with them.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Eight months to an indictment? I wonder why there has to be a "new" one? Thinking back on this case, you have to wonder if "bath salts" were sold in NJ back in January.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...l_to_hell.html

Man accused in Union [NJ] 'portal to hell' attack is indicted on attempted murder charges
    July 26, 2011

"The man accused of attacking two women with a hatchet in January has been indicted on three counts of attempted murder, Union County Prosecutor Theodore Romankow announced this morning. The women encountered 25-year-old Morgan Mesz after noticing things had been taken out of their shed and tossed into their yard..."

and

"...When the women — CB and BP, both in their 50s — opened the shed door, Mesz “pounced upon them,” township Police Director Dan Zieser said at the time. The man claimed to be searching for “the portal to hell...."

and

"....The gruesome attack went on until neighbor Hernan Agudelo intervened, hitting the man in the head with a small bat then tackling him to the ground until police arrived, authorities said. He was also injured during the incident, though not as seriously as the women, who were hospitalized in critical condition...."

and

"...The new indictment accuses him of trying to kill both women and Agudelo, who authorities hailed as a hero after the incident..."

more at link (plus mug shot)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Good find, Missizzy. Thanks for the follow-up and keeping this alive.

I was looking through New Posts just now and saw "New Jersey man seeking 'portal to hell' stabs 2."

"Wow," I thought, "that looks interesting!"
    You always start interesting threads.

Yep, love that Izzy woman for keeping us posted on the latest. Thankfully the victims are doing better. How much better can you get though after that attack?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

Eight months to an indictment? I wonder why there has to be a "new" one? Thinking back on this case, you have to wonder if "bath salts" were sold in NJ back in January.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...l_to_hell.html

Man accused in Union [NJ] 'portal to hell' attack is indicted on attempted murder charges
    July 26, 2011

"The man accused of attacking two women with a hatchet in January has been indicted on three counts of attempted murder, Union County Prosecutor Theodore Romankow announced this morning. The women encountered 25-year-old Morgan Mesz after noticing things had been taken out of their shed and tossed into their yard..."

and

"...When the women — CB and BP, both in their 50s — opened the shed door, Mesz “pounced upon them,” township Police Director Dan Zieser said at the time. The man claimed to be searching for “the portal to hell...."

and

"....The gruesome attack went on until neighbor Hernan Agudelo intervened, hitting the man in the head with a small bat then tackling him to the ground until police arrived, authorities said. He was also injured during the incident, though not as seriously as the women, who were hospitalized in critical condition...."

and

"...The new indictment accuses him of trying to kill both women and Agudelo, who authorities hailed as a hero after the incident..."

more at link (plus mug shot)
    Bath salts came to my mind as well. However it could have been good ol' Jack Daniels as listed as likes on this kids FB page.

This link someone posted he used to go to their gym. He won a Golden Glove novice title. I haven't seen anything on that, but will look it up.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ts-newest.html

Obviously he wasn't training when he went looking for the portal.

Here's the only boxing stats I could find. Hardly a Golden Glove novice, but hey maybe he was.

http://www.njboxinghof.org/cgi-bin/amatnews2a.pl

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    You always start interesting threads.
    Thanks!

There's just something about a headline indicating a man from New Jersey sought out a portal to hell. Ohio? Not so much.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Filly--We had some links early on about his "career". I'm not sure if they still exist. IIRC, he stated on his MS page that he didn't drink. Could be. He's a risk taker, though, as he rode bulls. I guess, being that bulls are few and far between in NJ, that he had to find some risk somehow.

I'm just confused as to why there's a "new" indictment. Where has he been? In treatment or in jail? Did they have to wait to see if the poor women survived? Strange, all around.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

From MS:

"....I'm addicted to the rush.....I am always up for anything...."

A risk taker. Could be bath salts. After all, that's not alcohol, right?

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Totally O/T, but in reading back over this thread, I realized that this was posted on the day Gabby Giffords was shot. I remember staying busy with this case as I was trying to keep my mind off a true "portal to hell" which was opening up in Tucson. How cool is it that Gabby walked out on the floor of the House this week and flashed that beautiful smile.

Could we have ever imagined, on that dark day?

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post: