Unsolved 18 From The First Zodiac Code And Possible Kaczynski/Zodiac Connection

AKWILKS

Reaction score
In 1969, some 40 years ago, Don and Bettye Harden solved the first Zodiac code. Since that time, the three other codes Zodiac sent to the SF Chronicle have remained unsolved. In the Harden solution to the first Zodiac code is the famous message that 'hunting man is thrilling' and that 'man is the most dangerous animal'. But at the end of the Harden solution there are 18 letters, a string of letters with no apparent meaning:

E..B..E..O..R..I..E..T..E..M..E..T..H..H..P..I..T..I

It seems clear that there is at least one more "step" needed to solve strange 18 and the other codes. But what is it? And did Zodiac give us a clue as to what it might be?

If the next step involves a number, I thought it would be a number with meaning to the killer. The first probable Zodiac killing was of Cheri Jo Bates, in Riverside, California, on Devil's Night, 10/30/1966. One other killing had similar numbers — the murder of Cecilia Shepherd and wounding of Bryan Hartnell on 9/27/1969 at Lake Berryessa. In fact, Zodiac wrote a message on the victims' car door, the last part of which read:

"Sept 27 1969 6:30."

Why write the time? Looking at the common numbers, with the Bates murder date we have 30 (1)966 and with the door message we have (1)969 630. So we have possible numbers of 30 9 66 and 9 69 6 3 0. So we have common numbers of 0-3-6-9. And in Norse mythology, something we know Zodiac (and my main suspect) had knowledge of, the numbers 3, 6, 9 and 27 (which is 3 x 9 and also 2 + 7 = 9) have special meaning.

Using a clue on the cipher sent by Zodiac, the Phillips 66 Map Code, there is the Zodiac symbol and the numbers 0, 3, 6 and 9.

Once again, we have the numbers 0-3-6-9. In the context of the map, one would expect to see N, E, S and W, or perhaps 0, 90, 180, 270. Could the numbers 0-3-6-9 be a clue, a clue on how to break the unsolved 18 and all the Zodiac codes?

There is a famous code system that used shifts of 3 letters. It is called a Caesar Code, as it was first used by the Roman Emperor Julius Caesar.

For example, the message ATTACK would be encoded as DWWDFN. The person getting the message DWWDFN would then go backwards (or forwards) in the alphabet three spaces for each letter. Caesar used a shift value of three, but any shift value can be used. From Wiki:

In cryptography, a Caesar cipher, also known as a Caesar's cipher, the shift cipher, Caesar's code or Caesar shift, is one of the simplest and most widely known encryption techniques. It is a type of substitution cipher in which each letter in the plaintext is replaced by a letter some fixed number of positions down the alphabet. For example, with a shift of 3, A would be replaced by D, B would become E, and so on. The method is named after Julius Caesar, who used it to communicate with his generals.

For a quick 10 minute lesson on the Caesar Code, go to

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_code

A variation of a Caesar Code was also used by the Confederate Army — at wiki you can see a Confederate decoding wheel, showing "C" lined up with "F", for example, as "F" is three letters after "C". Kaczynski signed his Unabomber letters with "FC".

Since a classic Caesar Code is fairly easy to break, more complex versions were formed, some keyed to a book passage (Vigenere Cipher) or a sequence of numbers (Gronsfeld Cipher).

Zodiac time and time again gives us the numbers 0, 3, 6 and 9 - if these are clues to the decrypt sequence, then they reveal the name and message Zodiac encrypted. And that name revealed in the unsolved 18 is THEODORE J KACZYNSKI.

Using the 0-3-6-9 clue and the Caesar Code method, I reached a solution to the Map Code, and Kite reached a solution to the unsolved 18 from the first Zodiac Code.

when the number sequence of:

0 3 3 6 9 6 3 3 6 6 9 9 6 6 9 9 6 0

is applied, the name appears and I think you can see it better in RED - and note the geographic patterns here:

C...N...Q...R...V...R...X...Q...Y...N...A...C...C...N...N...K...N...R
Z...K...N...O...S...O...U...N...V...K...X....Z...Z...K...K...H...K...O
W..H...K.. L...P....L...R...K...S....H...U...W..W..H...H...E...H...L
T...E...H...I...M...I....O...H....P....E...R...T...T...E...E...B....E...I
Q...B...E...F...J...F....L...E....M....B...O...Q...Q..B...B...Y....B...F
N...Y...B...C...G..C....I....B...J....Y....L...N...N...Y...Y...V....Y...C
K...V...Y...Z...D...Z...F...Y...G....V....I....K...K...V...V...S...V...Z

0 . 3 - 3 . 6 . 9 . 6 - - 3 . 3 . 6 . .6 . .9 . 9 . 6 . .6 - 9 . 9 - 6 . 0

The above solution code to produce the name

THEODORE J KACZYNSKI is:

0 3 - 3 6 9 6 - 3 3 6 6 9 9 6 6 - 9 9 - 6 0

Compare the number sequence above with the numbers Zodiac wrote on the car door at Lake Berryessa on 9/27/69:

Sept 27 - 69 - 6:30

September is the 9th month, and 2 + 7 = 9

So we might have, reducing the message to NUMBERS and expressing it in terms of MATHEMATICS:

9 9 - 6 9 6 3 - 0

Reverse it and we have:

0 - 3 6 9 6 - 9 9

And in the code solution to get the TJK name we see this exact same sequence of 3-6-9-6, and then doubled as 33-66-99-66. The entire code sequence is:

0 3 3 6 9 6 - 3 3 6 6 9 9 6 6 - 9 9 - 6 0

There are a huge number of four digit combinations that can be made from 0,3,6 and 9. (Can anyone figure out how many?) Can we really say it is likely just a coincidence that the same sequence on the car door - 3696 - when used and then doubled produces the Kaczynski name?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of what follows is based on excellent discoveries made by Kite. I try here to amplify, expound, illustrate and build on them.

It is well known and obvious that dozens to hundreds of real 14 to 18 letter names can be created from an unsolved 18 Caesar chart. So why should we be interested in the TJK name anymore than the Zs production of the Penn name, or any of the other dozens of real names that could be produced?

If Zodiac did use this method, as I contend is probable, it is not just like hiding the needle of his name in a haystack. It is like hiding the needle of his name in a haystack with hundreds of other needles. (And in the Map Code, thousands). By doing so he realistically avoids any serious chance of legal jeopardy. But I speculate that Zodiac did want to be able to prove he was Zodiac if he was ever caught and/or his ego couldn't resist putting his name in there some how. So he put in some patterns and math formulas that only seem to tie in with his name, to the exclusion of all or almost all the other names that can be produced.

This is the shift value number sequence that produces the TJK name:

0 - 3 3 - 6 9 6 - 3 3 - 6 6 9 9 6 6 - 9 9 - 6 - 0

THAT IS NOT RANDOM!

First, there is the tie-in to the murder date and time car door message that I show above. If this solution is not valid, then it is just a coincidence that when you apply the car door sequence to the unsolved 18 you get the name of a major Z suspect, TJK. I doubt that is a coincidence!

Second, look at the mathematical pattern. Keep in mind Zodiac - whoever he was - had a mind for codes and numbers, and Kaczynski was a math professor and a genius with numbers. I have mentioned this briefly but never really explored how extraordinary it is. Let us look at the numbers and the name:

T H E O D O R E -J K A C Z Y N S K I
0 3 3 6 9 6 3 3 - 6 6 9 9 6 6 9 9 6 0

If you add all the shift values that make up "Theodore" they add up to 33.

0+3+3+6+9+6+3+3 = 33

After the opening "0", we see that "33" appears at the start of the name "Theodore", and appears again in the end of that name.

If you add up all the shift values that make up "J Kaczynski" they add up to 66.

6+6+9+9+6+6+9+9+6+0 = 66

"66" appears at the start of the name "J Kaczynski", and appears again in the middle of the name.

Add the values of both names together (i.e., add up all the values used in the 18 character name) and you have 33 + 66 = 99.

"99" appears in the middle and towards the end of the name, before the actual "60" ending.

Is all this yet another coincidence? Maybe. But I highly doubt it. It seems a way to validate this name as being different from all the other names that can be produced.

A zkf poster named Zsearcher did produce the name "Gareth Sewell Penn ZK". I don't think the eccentric researcher Penn is a serious suspect, and the "ZK" doesn't really make sense, but OK, let us look at it.

Kite and I have tried to get a similar math or other pattern out of the Penn name, and many other names, and we can't. The numbers in each part of the three part name add up to numbers that do not appear in the name:

Z K G A R E T H S E W E L L P E N N
9 9 -9 9 9 0 0 0 9 0 -3 3 3 3 3 0 9 9

ZK = 18 GARETH = 27 SEWELL = 21 PENN = 21 TOTAL = 87

The numbers "18, 27, 21, 87" do not appear in the name. So it appears that name is purely random.

Perhaps there is another name or two that by chance might have some math formulas in it. Maybe it is "Vern Eli Blandstone". But then you would have to ask if that person is as good a suspect as TJK. Is he a known code expert, bomb maker and letter writing killer who lived in the SF Bay area at the right time? In other words, the proposed code solutions are one strong element to consider of the total evidentiary package.

Also, in the Map Code "Theodore J" has shift value numbers of 51, and "Kaczynski" also adds up to 51. See http://unazod.com/Wilks_32.htm . I noted that a Unabomber alias "Enoch W Fischer" decodes as "Theo Kaczynski" using the Caesar Code 0-3-6-9 method. And as Kite also discovered, in the Unabomber alias "Enoch W Fischer", using not shift value but the number value of letters (i.e., "E" = 5, as it is the fifth letter), "Enoch W" adds up to 68, and "Fischer" adds up to 68. See http://unazod.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25 .

In other words, it seems Theodore Kaczynski used internal math formulas to distinguish his name and his name only that he hid in both Zodiac codes and Unabomber alias codes.

As Kite notes, the unsolved 18 from the first Zodiac code has all the letters to spell a math directive -

BOTH PRIME.

As BOTTTH PRIIIIMEEEEE

As if hinting at two prime numbers?

The general criticism of the Caesar Code method is that it produces a matrix from which one could create dozens, sometimes hundreds of names. Therefor the appearance of the Theodore J Kaczynski name is interesting but nothing really special, it is just random. Thus the code method is likely not valid.

But it not just the fact that the TJK name appears in all the codes, it is HOW it appears.

In the Unsolved 18, only the TJK name has shift values that mirror the car door numbers at LB, and only the TJK name has internal math numbers that add up.

In the Map Code, thousands of names could be created, but despite my efforts and efforts of a dozen critics (and, I think, the FBI code Unit and I know for a fact a state police code unit) ONLY the TJK name appears based on a clue Zodiac created on a map and is based on a perfect numerical palindrome -

66 9 66 66 0 6 6 0 66 66 9 66.

One objection to the proposed solution to the unsolved 18 from the first Zodiac Code offered by Kite and myself is that the order is re-arranged.

I present a proposed solution here to the unsolved 18 in the order as presented by Zodiac and solved by the Hardens.

This is the unsolved 18 in the original order by Zodiac, in a Caesar Code 0-3-6-9 matrix, virgin and unmarked:

N...K...N...X...A...R...N...C...N...V...N...C...Q...Q...Y...R...C...R
K...H...K...U...X...O...K...Z...K...S...K....Z...N...N...V...O...Z...O
H...E...H...R...U...L...H..W..H...P...H...W...K...K...S...L...W...L

E...B...E...O...R...I....E...T...E...M...E...T...H...H...P...I....T...I

B...Y...B...L...O...F....B...Q..B....J...B...Q...E...E...M...F...Q...F
Y...V...Y...I....L...C....Y...N..Y....G...Y...N...B...B...J...C...N...C
V...S...V...F...I....Z....V...K..V.....D..V....K...Y...Y...G...Z...K...Z

This is the original proposed solution by Kite, but in the order presented by Zodiac and solved by the Hardens.

N...K...N...X...A...R...N...C...N...V...N...C...Q...Q...Y...R...C...R
K...H...K...U...X...O...K...Z...K...S...K....Z...N...N...V...O...Z...O
H...E...H...R...U...L...H..W..H...P...H...W....K...K...S...L...W...L

E...B...E...O...R...I....E...T...E...M...E...T...H...H....P...I....T...I

B...Y...B...L...O...F....B...Q..B....J...B...Q...E...E...M...F...Q...F
Y...V...Y...I....L...C....Y...N..Y....G...Y...N...B...B...J...C...N...C
V...S...V...F...I....Z....V...K..V....D..V....K...Y...Y...G...Z...K...Z

H...S...K...R...A...O...Y...T...N...D...K...C...E...E...J...O...Z...I

T...H...E...O...D...O...R...E...J...K....A...C...Z...Y..N...S...K...I

The solution gives you the all the 18 letters for the 18 letter Theodore J Kaczynski name, and the 6th, 12th and 18th all match exactly to the letters in the same place in the TJK name. In other words, as the Kite solution is applied to the unsolved 18 in the order presented by Zodiac and as solved by the Hardens, every sixth letter matches exactly the letter in the same space in the name "THEODORE J KACZYNSKI".

H...S...K...R...A...O...Y...T...N...D...K...C...E...E...J...O...Z...I

T...H...E...O...D...O...R...E...J...K....A...C...Z...Y..N...S...K...I

And this is the solution above, re-arranged and put into order to spell the TJK name:

The Harden translation of the last 18 letters;

E..B..E..O..R..I..E..T..E..M..E..T..H..H..P..I..T..I is put in order:

T..E..H..I..M..I..O..H..P..E..R..T..T..E..E..B..E..I

and once again we see that the 6th, 12th and 18th charcacters are identical, and when the number sequence of:

is applied, the name appears and I think you can see it better in RED - and note the geographic patterns here:

THE CASE FOR TED KACZYNSKI AS THE ZODIAC

Could the known code expert, bomb designer and cold blooded murderer Theodore Kaczynski have been the Zodiac, who shared all those same qualities and traits? Kaczynski taught at U Cal Berkeley from 1967 to 1969, a position for which he interviewed in the Fall/Winter of 1966. So he was in the SF Bay area for all the key dates of Zodiac activity. In all the public records, there are no conflicts between Kaczynski and known Zodiac murder and mailing dates. An attorney for Kaczynski said that no ailibi's could be presented for any of the Zodiac murder and mailing dates between 1966 and 1974. A witness has placed Kaczynski at the scene of the East Coast Zodiac type knife murder of fellow U of M grad Betsy Aardsma in the Penn State University library on November 28, 1969.

KACZYNSKI AND ZODIAC CONNECTION TO DEER LODGE, MONTANA

One very interesting fact: Zodiac said on 9/27/69 to Bryan Hartnell that he had escaped from "Deer Lodge, Montana", an obscure but beautiful small town that has a state prison. How many people in California would have heard of that town, and why would it be on their minds that they would mention it? I think the number would be very small. But Ted had just driven through or by this tiny town in the middle of nowhere with his brother weeks earlier, and he remarked how beautiful an area it was. It made such an impression that it was within an hour of where Ted would buy the cabin he would live in the rest of his life.

OVERVIEW OF BASIC FACTS SUGGESTING CONNECTION BETWEEN KACZYNSKI AND THE ZODIAC KILLER

* Kacsynski lived in the SF Bay area during the time of most of the confirmed Zodiac murders.

* Kaczynski's attorney said he could not provide any alibi dates for Zodiac murder and mailing dates, starting with Bates in 1966 and going to the 1974 letters, and also including the Santa Barbara murders in 1963 and the Swindle murders in 1964.

* Both Zodiac and Kaczynski were ruthless killers, highly intelligent and interested in and expert at bombs and codes.

* Both made references to opera, literature and Norse myths.

* Both demanded their words be published on the front pages of newspapers on penalty of death for innocents if not done.

* Both threatened to bomb mass transit.

* Both left drawings of crossed lines inside circles at crime scenes.

* Both used crossed lines inside circles as signatures.

* Both sent taunting messages to police and victims.

* Both usually used excessive postage, often double postage.

* Both wrote checkmark "r" 's, three stroke "k" 's, five stroke "m" 's and had many other handwriting matches.

* Both commented on the bounty put on their head.

* Both were filled with hatred and a desire for revenge against society.

* Both owned and used Winchester Western .22 Super X ammo.

* Both had guns with flashlights attached to the barrel.

* Kaczynski shot a miner with a rifle - Zodiac threatened to shoot school kids on a bus with a rifle

* Both had an unusual walk - Officer Fouke said the man he saw at the Stine crime scene walked with a "lumbering gait...a semi-limp", a girl at Lake Berryessa observed that a man watching them who may have been the Zodiac "favored one leg over the other", and David Kaczynski said his brother Ted was "noticably pigeon-toed" and that it "affected the way he walked".

* Both had knowledge of Deer Lodge, Montana.

* Zodiac taunted police, hinted he shot SFPD Officer Radetich and most importantly attacked and killed couples in known love making spots; Kaczynski recorded a desire in his journal to kill "police", "rowdy college students", "promiscuous" women and men and "noisy" love making "couples" in September of 1966.

A detective on the EAR/ONS case has determined that Ted Kaczynski has never had his DNA entered into CODIS, and indeed has never even had DNA drawn from his body, despite two seperate federal laws mandating it. Law enforcement has now requested that FBOP follow the law and do the DNA draw on Kaczynski.

Attachments

• Zodiac Belli Letter & Kaczynski Resume Bio.jpg
    Zodiac Belli Letter & Kaczynski Resume Bio.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Kaczynski And Zodiac Crossed Lines Inside Circles.jpg
    Kaczynski And Zodiac Crossed Lines Inside Circles.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Ted Kaczynski Berkeley 1968 Versus Zodiac Sketch No Glasses San Francisco 1969.jpg
    Ted Kaczynski Berkeley 1968 Versus Zodiac Sketch No Glasses San Francisco 1969.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 78

A COMPARISON OF SHARED WORD USAGE, PHRASES AND STYLES BY THE ZODIAC AND KACZYNSKI (MOSTLY BY DOUG OSWELL AND A FEW BY AK WILKS)

Z = Zodiac K = Kaczynski/Unabomber

Z = I hope you enjoy your selves when I have my Blast. Jolly Roger Card.

K = For these reasons, I want to get my revenge in one big blast. GX18-2003F, p. 11.

Z = At the moment the children are safe from the bomb because it is so massive to dig in & the triger mech requires much work to get it adjusted just right. Belli Letter, 1969.

K = Its no fun having to spend all your evenings and weekends preparing dangerous mixtures, filing trigger mechanisms out of scraps of metal .... New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = I gave the cops som bussy work to do to keep them happy. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = This seems to us a thoroughly contemptible way for the human race to end up, and we doubt that many people would find fulfilling lives in such pointless busy-work. Unabomber Manifesto, 1995.

Z = This is the murderer of the 2 teenagers last Christmass at Lake Herman & the girl on the 4th of July near the golf course in Vallejo. To prove I killed them I shall state some facts which only I & the police know. Three-Part Cipher, 1969.

K = To prove that we are the ones who planted the bomb at U. Of Cal. last May we will mention a few details that could be known only to us and the FBI who investigated the incident. S.F. Examiner Letter, 1985.

Z = The police shall never catch me, because I have been too clever for them. Seven-Page letter, 1969.

K = And it doesn't appear that the FBI is going to catch us any time soon. New York Times letter, 1995.

Z = 2 cops pulled a goof. Seven-Page letter, 1969.

K = The FBI is a joke. New York Times letter, 1995.

Z = As of yet I have left no fingerprints behind me contrary to what the police say. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = Contrary to what the FBI has suggested, our bombing at the California Forestry Association was in no way inspired by the Oklahoma City bombing. New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = This is the murderer of the 2 teenagers last Christmass ... July 31, 1969 Letter (Chronicle).
This is the Zodiac speaking. Numerous correspondences, 1969 through 1971.

K = This is a message from the terrorist group FC. New York Times Letter, April 24, 1995.
This is a message from FC. Tom Tyler Letter, June 30, 1995.

Z = I promised to punish them if they did not comply, by anilating a full School Buss. But now school is out for the summer, so I punished them in another way. Mt. Diablo Letter, 1970.

K = The people who are pushing all this growth and progress garbage deserve to be severely punished. New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = By the way it could be rather messy if you try to bluff me. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = A special case of Theorem (b) was proved (in effect) in [6, proof of Theorem 6] by means of a rather messy lemma. T.J. Kaczynski. Boundary Functions and Sets of Curvilinear Convergence for Continuous Functions. Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 141 (Jul., 1969), 107-125, p. 124.

Z = [Called violent movie]"deplorable".

K = [Called bombing in OKC]"deplorable".

There are certainly a lot of similarities and coincidences between the Zodiac and Unibom cases.

One thing which I see as a very strong link are the fact that so many of the Unibom attacks and mailings - and the Zodiac attacks and mailings coincided with various phases of the moon and with seasons of the year.

Before Ted Kaczynski was captured, I wrote an analysis of the Unibomber and mailed it to the FBI. In it, I pointed out what I recognized as very seasonal and astrological trends. I also gave them my attempt at a profile of the then unidentified Unibomber. Most of it proved pretty accurate when Ted was caught.

My opinion of the FBI and their handling of the Unibomber case is not very high. They couldn't find him for 17 years, but wanted the New York Times and the Washington Post to NOT publish his "manifesto". Then when they did anyway, Ted's brother recognized it and told them where he was. His only request was that they NOT state where they got their information. Of course, the FBI promised confidentiality and immediately told the whole world as soon as they caught Ted.

If it had not been for the information Ted's brother gave them, the FBI would still be wondering where the Unibomber is today.

During all the "high-fiving" that the FBI was doing in Montana after Ted's capture, a Newsweek reporter asked an FBI agent if they had gotten any useful information from the public in response to their requests for same. The agent said that most of the information they got was just useless and a big waste of their time. In fact one person even thought that the Unibomber was affected by the phases of the Moon! (Ha! Ha!)

I would point out that about six months later a newly retired FBI agent wrote the first book on the capture of Ted and in it mentioned much of my analysis, including the "moon phase" stuff, passing it off as his own work.

The fact is, however, that both Unibom and Zodiac were very much interested and affected by such things as the seasonal Equinoxes and Solstices, as well as the phases of the moon and other astonomical events. Or if not actually affected by it, their crimes certainly seemed to be planned around such events.

Yes, in fact Ted Kaczynski as "FC" aka "The Unabomber" used some of the same DATES as the Zodiac to do mailings and crimes. Such as April 20 and July 4, and others.

So what happens if we apply a Caesar Code analysis to the unsolved 18 from the first Zodiac Code, using the 0-3-6-9 clues Zodiac kept giving us as shift values?

The Harden translation of the last 18 letters;

E..B..E..O..R..I..E..T..E..M..E..T..H..H..P..I..T..I is put in order:

and when the number sequence of:

is applied, these blue letters appear and spell the name:

...One B
...One O
.Three T 's
...Two H 's
....One P
...One R
.Three I 's
..One M
..Five E 's

These are the famous last 18 letters that appear at the end of the Harden solution. Coincidence or intended, they can spell the mathematical command "BOTH PRIME". Over the years there has been much speculation as to their possible meaning, from "Robert Emmit The Hippie" to spiritual to mystical to weird, with no theory very convincing. That has led others to say that these 18 letters are nothing but filler, pure gibberish. With no real evidence to back that up either.

Kite, myself and others have shown in the posts above that the 18 letter sequence begining "E B E..." can reveal the 18 letter name of Zodiac suspect "Theodore J Kaczynski" with a shift value sequence of patterned repeats that matches the car door sequence at Lake Berryessa and is internally consistent mathematically.

But another question posed to me was "OK, how do you contend that Zodiac, if he was Kaczynski, took his 18 letter name and encoded it in the E B E string? Can you show me how you think he did that? And is that process revealed to be more or less random, and thus not very convincing, or is there some type of pattern or plan evident, which would make it more convincing?"

Fair question. I will give it a shot.

So let us imagine that Theodore J Kaczynski was indeed the Zodiac, and he wished to encode his name using a Caesar Code with 0-3-6-9 shift values. How might he go about it?

The most likely first step is he would write out his name and then create a matrix of 0-3-6-9 letter shift values. That would give him a chart in which he could then pick his encoded letters. First I will show this matrix with a + axis and a - axis. Then I will show it as a chart with shift values used for their absolute value, i.e., distance from zero.

First a Caesar Code matrix with 0-3-6-9 values, + and -, for the name THEODORE J KACZYNSKI:

-...-...N...-...M...-...-...N...S...-...-...-...-...H...-...B...-...-
-...-...K...-...J....-...-...K...P...-...-...-...-...E...-...Y...-...-
-...-...H...-..G....-...-...H..M...-...-...-...-...B...-...V...-...-

T..H...E..O..D...O...R...E..J....K..A...C..Z...Y...N..S...K...I

-..E...-...L...-...L...O...-...-....H..X...Z..W..-....K...-...H..-
-..B...-...I...-...I....L...-...-....E...U..W..T...-...H...-...E...-
-..Y...-...F..-...F....I...-...-....B...R...T..Q...-...E...-....B..-

Then lets see how he might have SELECTED that E B E letter string (Five "E" 's, Three "I" 's, Three "T" 's, Two "H" 's, One "P", One "M", One "O", One "B", One "R") to encode his name, if that is even possible (it is) and if that process seems totally random or if we can detect patterns, plans or shapes in the selection.

-...-...N...-...M...-...-...N...S...-...-...-...-...H...-...B...-...-
-...-...K...-...J....-...-...K...P...-...-...-...-...E...-...Y...-...-
-...-...H...-..G....-...-...H..M...-...-...-...-...B...-...V...-...-

-..E...-...L...-...L...O...-...-.....H..X...Z..W..-....K...-...H..-
-..B...-...I...-...I....L...-...-.....E...U..W..T...-...H...-...E...-
-..Y...-...F..-...F....I...-...-.....B...R...T..Q...-...E...-....B..-

We can see that it is indeed possible to derive the letters in the E B E string from a Caesar Code chart of the TJK name. Some of it seems random (perhaps to increase difficulty of solution?) while parts of it seem to follow patterns or geometric shapes. And the entire shift number sequence to encode the name -

0 33 696 33 66 99 66 99 6 0

- has amazing mathematical qualities and shows a clear pattern, a pattern we even see on the car door at Lake Berryessa - the writing "69 6:30" reversed as:
0 3696.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

But what if we look at it as a chart with shift values used for their absolute value, i.e., distance from zero? In other words, both positive and negative number shifts are represented on the same axis? When we do that, the geometric pattern is amazing. It is very consistent with the E B E string being CHOSEN by someone looking at a Caesar Code matrix of shift values used for the absolute value as seen here, and creating the deliberate geometric and mathematical patrerns we see here. It seems very unlikely that such geometric and mathematical patterns just happened randomly, by chance.

-...-...N...-...M...-...-...N...S...-...R...T...-...H...E...B...-...-
-...-...K...I...J....I...-...K...P...E...-....-...T...E...-....Y..E...-
-...E...H...-..G....-..O..H..M...-...-.....-...-...B...-....V...-...-

T..H...E..O..D...O...R...E..J....K..A...C...Z...Y...N..S..K...I

And just looking at the E B E string highlighted, with all other letters removed:

-...-...-...-...M...-...-...-...-...-...R...T...-...-...E...B...-...-
-...-...-...I...-....I...-...-...P...E...-....-...T..E...-....-..E...-
-...E..H...-...-....-..O..H...-...-...-.....-...-..-...-....-...-...-

T..H...E.O..D...O..R...E...J...K..A...C...Z..Y...N...S..K...I

The most likely first step is he would write out his name and then create a matrix of 0-3-6-9 letter shift values. That would give him a chart in which he could then pick his encoded letters. First I will show this matrix with a + axis and a - axis. Then I will show it as a chart with shift values used for their absolute value, i.e., distance from zero.

First a Caesar Code matrix with 0-3-6-9 values, + and -, for the name THEODORE J KACZYNSKI:...
But what if we look at it as a chart with shift values used for their absolute value, i.e., distance from zero? In other words, both positive and negative number shifts are represented on the same axis? When we do that, the geometric pattern is amazing. It is very consistent with the E B E string being CHOSEN by someone looking at a Caesar Code matrix of shift values used for the absolute value as seen here, and creating the deliberate geometric and mathematical patrerns we see here. It seems very unlikely that such geometric and mathematical patterns just happened randomly, by chance....

---------------------------

I understand your theory, but I think that your explanation is a little complicated. And some of your illustrations do not line up exactly, so they are a little confusing. Not your fault, as computers and websites tend to do their own spacing sometimes.

Let me see if I can state your theory/solution explanation...

First, If Zodiac wanted to include his name in his message, rather than just using filler, he would have to very carefully plan out his message so that all figures came out perfectly - that is so that each of the three newspapers received a third of his message and that each part came to exactly eight rows of seventeen figures.

Secondly, he had already selected his encryption code. That is how the whole message was written out - INCLUDING his final 18 characters which the Hardens decoded to read: E...B...E...O...R...I....E...T...E...M...E...T...H...H...P...I....T...I

Third, he would have written out his name as you indicate and then had to apply his shift values from his chosen shift formula. This is how he would have gotten the line which reads: E...B...E...O...R...I....E...T...E...M...E...T...H...H...P...I....T...I

And FINALLY, he would have to encrypt the now codified name using the same encryption method he used for the rest of the message.

Applying Zodiac's shift sequence to the decoded last 18 characters allows one to decipher the final part of the message.

Again, this would require a very carefully constructed message in order for there to be exactly eight rows of seventeen characters in each of three parts of the message. Note that his later 340 Cryptogram also had seventeen characters per line, although in that message, there were 20 lines. So it was very likely that number sequences meant a lot to Zodiac.

The final 18 characters which appear as gibberish are exactly how filler would properly be used - at the very end of the message and used in such a manner to make each part of the message come out the same length. Again, if it IS filler, then the over all length of each portion of the message meant something important to Zodiac. So there may be some meaning or perhaps some number codes yet to be found.

These codes are complex and multi-stage. I am trying to explain them the best I can, perhaps I am not doing too good. Are others reading these posts? Do you understand what I am presenting? I am happy to answer any questions.

In the very FIRST post in this thread I explain what I Caesar Code is - it involves shifts of letters.

In the first Zodiac code solved by the Hardens, there were 18 letters at the end that did not make sense. Many have speculated that a "second stage" was needed to decode those 18 letters. I am saying here that when you use for a second stage decode a Caesar Code with 0 3 6 9 letter shifts, you get the 18 letters in the name THEODORE J KACZYNSKI.

Others than asked me to show it the other way - in theory, how did Kaczynski, if he was the Zodiac, encode his 18 letter name into the 18 letter string that begins with E B E. I show how he could have done it, creating an 18 letter string that has all the letters in the E B E string, just shuffled a bit.

------------------------------

What if we look at it as a chart with shift values used for their absolute value, i.e., distance from zero? In other words, both positive and negative number shifts are represented on the same axis? When we do that, the geometric pattern is amazing. It is very consistent with the E B E string being CHOSEN by someone looking at a Caesar Code matrix of shift values used for the absolute value as seen here, and creating the deliberate geometric and mathematical patrerns we see here. It seems very unlikely that such geometric and mathematical patterns just happened randomly, by chance.

And just looking at the E B E string highlighted, shown here in relation to the name it starts with T E H, with all other letters removed:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And the sequence above derived from the Theodore J Kaczynski name, that starts T E H, is indeed all the same letters as the E B E sequence, the letters are just shifted somewhat, but some are even in the same order like "E B E" and "H P", as can be seen when we add color:

can be put into the order seen at the end of the Harden solution to the first Zodiac code:

These codes are complex and multi-stage. I am trying to explain them the best I can, perhaps I am not doing too good. Are others reading these posts? Do you understand what I am presenting? I am happy to answer any questions. ...
What if we look at it as a chart with shift values used for their absolute value, i.e., distance from zero? In other words, both positive and negative number shifts are represented on the same axis? When we do that, the geometric pattern is amazing. It is very consistent with the E B E string being CHOSEN by someone looking at a Caesar Code matrix of shift values used for the absolute value as seen here, and creating the deliberate geometric and mathematical patrerns we see here. It seems very unlikely that such geometric and mathematical patterns just happened randomly, by chance....

can be put into the order seen at the end of the Harden solution to the first Zodiac code:

I follow your explanation, but again with the letters wrapping around in this thread, it is hard to see what letters stand for what.

I guess that in my attempt to re-state your theory above, I left out a couple of steps:

He comes up with a shift sequence based on a message left on a car door at Lake Berriessa. He then reverses that sequence.

After encoding his name using the reversed sequence formula, you say that he then jumbled up those letters before his final encryption using the code broken by the Hardens? Alternately, he could have jumbled his name in sections before he applied the reversed sequence formula, and then simply encrypted those jumbled sections (this, however, may not fit with the sequence formula you present).

Is there a mathematical solution or formula for this jumble?

If his encryption code, his messages, and format were so mathematically precise, there must have been some clue as to when to use a negative or positive shift in his Cesar sequence. As you point out it couldn't simply have been random - not for someone so mathematically oriented.

I think that you have a good insight into this guy's way of thinking regarding code writing. Do you see any other clues in some of the other Zodiac writings which might be encrypted or might be keys to his obvious encryptions?

"Is there a mathematical solution or formula for this jumble?"

The mathematical forumla is in the shift values that create the name.

If Zodiac did use this method, as I contend is probable, it is not just like hiding the needle of his name in a haystack. It is like hiding the needle of his name in a haystack with hundreds of other needles. By doing so he realistically avoids any serious chance of legal jeopardy. But I speculate that Zodiac did want to be able to prove he was Zodiac if he was ever caught and/or his ego couldn't resist putting his name in there some how. So he put in some patterns and math formulas that only seem to tie in with his name, to the exclusion of all or almost all the other names that can be produced.

This is the shift value number sequence that produces the TJK name:

0 - 3 3 - 6 9 6 - 3 3 - 6 6 9 9 6 6 - 9 9 - 6 - 0

THAT IS NOT RANDOM!

First, there is the tie-in to the murder date and time car door message that I show above. If this solution is not valid, then it is just a coincidence that when you apply the car door sequence to the unsolved 18 you get the name of a major Z suspect, TJK. I doubt that is a coincidence!

Second, look at the mathematical pattern. Keep in mind Zodiac - whoever he was - had a mind for codes and numbers, and Kaczynski was a math professor and a genius with numbers. I have mentioned this briefly but never really explored how extraordinary it is. Let us look at the numbers and the name:
[/SIZE]

T H E O D O R E -J K A C Z Y N S K I
0 3 3 - 6 9 6 3 3 - 6 6 9 9 6 6 9 9 6 0

If you add all the shift values that make up "Theodore" they add up to 33.

0+3+3+6+9+6+3+3 = 33

After the opening "0", we see that "33" appears at the start of the name "Theodore", and appears again in the end of that name.

If you add up all the shift values that make up "J Kaczynski" they add up to 66.

6+6+9+9+6+6+9+9+6+0 = 66

"66" appears at the start of the name "J Kaczynski", and appears again in the middle of the name.

Add the values of both names together (i.e., add up all the values used in the 18 character name) and you have 33 + 66 = 99.

"99" appears in the middle and towards the end of the name, before the actual "60" ending.

Is all this yet another coincidence? Maybe. But I highly doubt it. It seems a way to validate this name as being different from all the other names that can be produced.

A zkf poster named Zsearcher did produce the name "Gareth Sewell Penn ZK". I don't think the eccentric researcher Penn is a serious suspect, and the "ZK" doesn't really make sense, but OK, let us look at it.

Kite and I have tried to get a similar math or other pattern out of the Penn name, and many other names, and we can't. The numbers in each part of the three part name add up to numbers that do not appear in the name:

Z K G A R E T H S E W E L L P E N N
9 9 -9 9 9 0 0 0 9 0 -3 3 3 3 3 0 9 9

ZK = 18 GARETH = 27 SEWELL = 21 PENN = 21 TOTAL = 87

The numbers "18, 27, 21, 87" do not appear in the name. So it appears that name is purely random.

Perhaps there is another name or two that by chance might have some math formulas in it. Maybe it is "Vern Eli Blandstone". But then you would have to ask if that person is as good a suspect as TJK. Is he a known code expert, bomb maker and letter writing killer who lived in the SF Bay area at the right time? In other words, the proposed code solutions are one strong element to consider of the total evidentiary package.

Also, in the Map Code "Theodore J" has shift value numbers of 51, and "Kaczynski" also adds up to 51. See http://unazod.com/Wilks_32.htm . I noted that a Unabomber alias "Enoch W Fischer" decodes as "Theo Kaczynski" using the Caesar Code 0-3-6-9 method. And as Kite also discovered, in the Unabomber alias "Enoch W Fischer", using not shift value but the number value of letters (i.e., "E" = 5, as it is the fifth letter), "Enoch W" adds up to 68, and "Fischer" adds up to 68. See http://unazod.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25 .

In other words, it seems math genius Theodore Kaczynski used internal math formulas to distinguish his name and his name only that he hid in both Zodiac codes and Unabomber alias codes.

In fact, I think I can now outline in the simplest way possible how Theodore J Kaczynski used his name to come up with the puzzling 18 letter "E B E" string that finishes off the first decoded message from the Zodiac. And show that he did it in a logical, mathematical and compelling fashion.

He starts by writing out the 18 letters of his name and creating a Caesar Code matrix with 0-3-6-9 shift values. He uses numbers for their absolute value, i.e., distance from zero, thus positive and negative number shifts are represented on the same axis. He uses the number sequence:

0 33 696 33 669966 99 6 0

to create the letter string. Using this number sequence, the letters for "THEODORE" add up to 33, while those for "JKACZYNSKI" add up to 66. He will later take the time to write 0 3 6 9 6 on the car door at Lake Berryessa, a hint on how to solve the still unsolved part of the code.

So he applies these numbers as shift values to encode his name -

0 33 696 33 669966 99 6 0 - the selected letters are highlighted in RED below:

-...-...N...-...M...-...-...N...S...-...R...T...-...H...E...B...-...-
-...-...K...I...J....I...-...K...P...E...-....-...T...E...-...Y...E...-
-...E...H...-..G....-..O...H..M...-...-.....-...-...B...-...V...-...-

T..H...E..O..D...O...R...E..J....K..A...C...Z...Y...N..S..K...I

And just looking at the selected code string highlighted, with all other letters removed:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The name has thus created the following 18 letter string seen beneath it:

T..H..E..O.D..O..R..E..J..K..A..C..Z..Y..N..S..K..I

THEN HE REVERSES THE 18 LETTER STRING AS FOLLOWS - AND COMPARE IT TO THE ACTUAL STRING AT THE END OF THE ZODIAC CODE BELOW IT:

I..K..S..N..Y..Z..C..A..K..J..E..R..O..D..O..E..H..T
I..E..B..E..E..T...T..R..E..P..H..O..I..M..I..H..E..T

The use of color shows how similar much of the reverse string from the TJK name is to the actual string at the end of the first Zodiac code. It is the exact same 18 letters, some are shuffled, some are in the same sequence, like "E B E" and others:

I..E..B..E..E..T..T..R..E..P..H..O..I..M..I..H..E..T

And this shows how the 18 letter reverse string derived rom the Theodore J Kaczynski name actually encodes the name in the 18 letter string starting with "E B E" that is at the end of the first Zodiac Code. What we see here is:

1. The Theodore J Kaczynski name backwards.
2. The 18 letter string derived from the name backwards.
3. The actual 18 letter string seen at the end of the first Zodiac Code.
4. How that 18 letter string at the end of the Zodiac Code actually encodes the Theodore J Kaczynski name.

I..K..S..N..Y..Z..C..A..K..J..E..R..O..D.O..E..H.T

K..S..N..R..A.I..Y..Z..K..D..H..T..E..E..J..O..C.O

In fact, I think I can now outline in the simplest way possible how Theodore J Kaczynski used his name to come up with the puzzling 18 letter "E B E" string that finishes off the first decoded message from the Zodiac. And show that he did it in a logical, mathematical and compelling fashion.

He starts by writing out the 18 letters of his name and creating a Caesar Code matrix with 0-3-6-9 shift values. He uses numbers for their absolute value, i.e., distance from zero, thus positive and negative number shifts are represented on the same axis. ...

The use of color shows how similar much of the reverse string from the TJK name is to the actual string at the end of the first Zodiac code. It is the exact same 18 letters, some are shuffled, some are in the same sequence, like "E B E" and others:

Your solution makes a lot of sense mathematically. But there are two places where you allow for randomness.

The first is where you state that Zodiac uses the "absolute value" of a 3, 6 or 9 shift in encrypting the name Theodore J. Kaczynski. If this were the case, all shifts would be "up" or positive. In fact, some shifts are positive and some are negative. And those shifts occur in an interesting pattern:

T h e o d o r e J K a c z y n s k i
0 - + - + - - + + - - - - + - + - 0

Sorry if the letters, numbers, and shift directions don't line up exactly.

Note that direction (+ or -) of the first seven shifts are mirror immage to the shifts used for the last seven letters. In the middle of the name there are two positives and two negatives.

I refer to a positive (+) shift to mean that he would go forward in the alphabet to arrive at the encryption letter, and a negative (-) shift would mean that he went backward in the alphabet from the letter to arrive at it's encryption.

He clearly used a pattern in determining which direction to shift in his encryption.

The second place where you allow for randomness is in the jumble of the encrypted name to arrive at the order of the final 18 symbols.

With all the precision and patterns seen throughout this theory, I have to think that there is a pattern or an equation used to "jumble" those final 18 symbols.

Richard - Amazing observation! I don't know how I missed it. Keep in mind when you are trying to decipher the Zodiac codes you are most likely dealing with someone who was both mad and a genius. If I am right, and Kaczynski was the Zodiac, you are dealing with someone who had a 165 IQ - about the same as Einstein! Regular "genius" level is 140. So there are often codes within codes, hidden meanings, levels of encryption and peristent mathematical patterns, though often hard to detect.

You seem to have correctly identified a pattern in the use of positive and negative shift values. I will take the Caesar Code Shift Chart for the name Theodore J Kaczynski with 0-3-6-9 values and add your observation about positive shifts (going forward from the letter) and negative shifts (going backwards from the letter).

-...-...N...-...M...-...-...N...S...-...-...-...-....H...-...B...-...-
-...-...K...-...J....-...-...K...P...-...-...-...-.....E...-...Y...-...-
-...-...H...-..G....-...-...H..M...-...-...-...-.....B...-...V...-...-

-...E...-...L...-...L...O...-...-....H..X...Z..W..-....K...-...H...-
-...B...-...I...-...I....L...-...-....E...U..W..T...-...H...-...E....-
-...Y...-...F..-...F....I...-...-....B...R...T..Q...-...E...-...B...-

0..-...+...-..+...-...-....+...+..-...-....-...-....+..-...+...-...0

There does indeed appear to be a pattern - both the left and right start off going inward as 0-+-+--, with a ++-- in the middle.

I suspect you may also be a right about a pattern in the final shuffle of the 18 letter string, but beyond a reversal and certain shifts, I have yet to detect an overall pattern. He may have added some randomness to increase difficulty of solution.

By the way, "absolute value" is a math term, it means distance from zero, so that for example both +6 and -6 have the same absolute value, i.e., distance from zero. So I did do two charts showing shift value numbers for their absolute value, so that positive and negative shifts were represented on the same axis.

But there is no doubt both - and + shift values are used in the code, and some had criticized the work of Kite and myself for just that reason - in other words, yes we had a very remarkable and interesting solution, but if - and + shift numbers are used interchangeably in a random fashion, no pattern, then that weakens our claim to a true definitive solution.

But I think you have correctly discovered the true pattern.

There does indeed appear to be a pattern -

both the left and right start off going inward as 0 - + - + --, with a ++ -- in the middle.

Let me try to illustrate it better:

0..-...+...-..+...-...-....[+...+..-...-]....-...-....+...-...+...-....0

To put it into pure math-algebra terms, with 0="A", X= "-", Y= "+"this is the pattern:

A..X..Y..X..Y..XX [YYXX] XX..Y..X..Y..X..A

Let me try to illustrate it better:

0..-...+...-..+...-...-....[+...+..-...-]....-...-....+...-...+...-....0

To put it into pure math-algebra terms, with 0="A", X= "-", Y= "+"this is the pattern:

A..X..Y..X..Y..XX [YYXX] XX..Y..X..Y..X..A

I wonder if Zodiac indicated this pattern in any of his "clews" or writings. Perhaps in the way he put stamps on envelopes, or in some sort of drawing on a card or map or something.

If this pattern could be found - like the way you have pointed out the car door scratching - then it might be a way of authenticating the encryption of the name.

What was Kaczinski's weight? If memory serves me correctly, Zodiac was determined to have weighed about 230 pounds at the Lake killing. That would seem to rule him out.

Kaczynski matches the height descriptions of Zodiac, also hair cut and color. Like Zodiac he wore military shoes and a navy blue jacket. Ted weighed between 150 and 170 pounds. Weight descriptions on Zodiac are varied. As the Unabomber, Ted would wear multiple shirts and stuff a towel under them, put wax in his nostrils and cotton balls in his cheeks, all to make himself look heavier than he was.

Later Lake Berryessa victim Hartnell said he overstated the weight of the attacker, who he said was wearing a "puffed up" jacket. Mike Mageau said Zodiac was 160 pounds, Kathleen Johns said 160 pounds, the Hakari and Bennallack suspect descriptions were 160 pounds.

Zodiac suspect Arthur Leigh Allen was ruled out on the basis of DNA, fingerprints, handwriting and Officer Fouke said the 250 pound Allen was "100 pounds" more than the man he saw that night in San Francisco.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back