1360 users online (269 members and 1091 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    The short story doesn't have couples, just individual men. I wonder if any of the couples in the movie were similar to the couples he murdered?
    The Most Dangerous Game is an adaptation of the 1924 short story of the same name by Richard Connell, the first film version of that story.

The plot concerns a big game hunter on an island who chooses to hunt humans for sport. You do not see all of the hunts, but it is implied in the movie that the Hunter, Count Zarnoff hunts one man at a time. In the end, he hunts a couple after releasing them from the captivity of his castle on an island into the woods.

The film stars Joel McCrea, Leslie Banks, and King Kong leads Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong, and was made by the co-directors of King Kong (1933).

Because it was so inexpensive to make, costing only $200,000, The Most Dangerous Game made more profit for RKO than the very expensive King Kong did.

At the link below, is a photo of both the hunter, Count Zarnoff and the hunted "couple".

There is a good plot summary as well.

Source:

The Most Dangerous Game (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LINK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mos...ous_Game_(film)

Yes, I'm familiar with the short story, but not the movie. That's why I wondered about the couple, who aren't in the sort story. It sounds like they put the couple in just to have Fay Wray's name on it
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Mule View Post
    The "Director's Cut" of Zodiac has an exacting account from the responding officer who through comparison of weight and depth of bootprints with his partner determined that Zodiac weighed approximately 230 pounds.

I'm unaware where Hartnell ever eliminated Allen; certainly not in the Director's Cut.
    This is information you got from a movie?
    TAPU'S BLOG
    Murder in the Hills

The 2 disc "Director's Cut" of the David Fincher film "Zodiac" also has several excellent documentaries on the case. In the one on Arthur Leigh Allen, SFPD Officer Fouke says that Allen weighed "100 pounds more" than the man he saw that night who may have been the Zodiac. Allen's driver license listed him at 250 pounds.

In the movie "Most Dangerous Game" Count Zaroff dresses in black, had a gun, knife and rope and hunts couples. I think Zodiac is likley to have seen the film - Count Z also uses a Luger - and Zodiac used a Luger on 7/4/68.

The cryptographical work is impressive. I always find it interesting when Unabomber is tied to other crimes and this tie seems quite plausible.

For you all trying to line up lines of numbers and text, just change the font to courier new.

A B C D E F G H I
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

becomes

A B C D E F G H I
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Zodiac Unmasked... Victim identifications

In response to questions regarding possible identification of Arthur Leigh Allen as Zodiac...

Robert Graysmith wrote the origional book about Zodiac and in it he describes in great detail the crimes of and the hunt for Zodiac. He mentiones several possible suspects, but changes their real names in his origional book.

In 2002, Graysmith wrote a sequel titled Zodiac Unmasked. In this book, he constructs a case against his favorite suspect, Arthur Leigh Allen - who by the writing of the second book had died. Graysmith cites a lot of circumstantial evidence in the case which matches with Allen. The movie Zodiac mentioned above was based on much of his later research.

Zodiac is known to have attatcked three couples and one individual cab driver. He is strongly suspected of having murdered Cherri Jo Bates in Riverside in 1966. Of the three couples, two young men survived with serious wounds: Michael Mageau, shot in Vallejo on 5 July 1969, and Bryan Hartnell, stabbed at Lake Berryessa on 27 Sept 1969.

Although Graysmith and many other Zodiac researchers suspect Zodiac of other attempted abductions and murders - and certainly Zodiac boasted of others - it is those eight victims that are most strongly believed to have been attatcked by Zodiac.

The two victims, Mageau and Hartnell assisted police investigators as best they could in describing Zodiac. Hartnell could never identify anyone as Zodiac, because he had never seen Zodiac's face. It was covered by a mask. Mageau did see Zodiac's face, but only briefly.

Years later, Hartnell was brought to a hardware store where Arthur Leigh Allen worked and was told to buy something from him. Hartnell stated that Allen was of similar size to Zodiac and his voice sounded like what he recalled of Zodiac.

Mageau was shown a photo line-up many years after his encounter with Zodiac. He immediately picked a photo of Arthur Leigh Allen as the man who had attatcked him.

Richard - I think everything you state above is true, and worth considering.

But also consider:

* Handwriting experts ruled out Allen as the writer of the Zodiac letters. No matches could be found in the writing.

* Fingerprints and DNA did not match Allen.

* It is true years later Mageau later picked out a picture of Allen, but it is not clear he was shown a picture of anyone other than Allen.

* At the time of the shooting, Mageau said his attacker was 160 pounds. Allen weighed 230 pounds then, according to both his drivers license and friends.

* Kathleen Johns also said Zodiac weighed 160 pounds.

* Graysmith tries to make the case against Allen, for the flipside see:

http://www.zodiackillerfacts.com/allen.htm

* And for the Kaczynski - Zodiac connection see www.unazod.com

Inventory of Ted Kaczynsky's personal effects

The link at the below site contains a 12 page inventory of what was removed from Ted Kaczynski's cabin after his capture in 1996.

While it lists three different typewriters, there is no description as to make, model, type face, pitch, etc. So, no way to compare with the one Zodiac used in some of his writings.

Included in the inventory, however, is a complete list of the books from Ted's library. Unfortunately no books on Zodiac were included.

----------------------------------------
    AUGUST 11 2006

Items belonging to Theodore Kaczynski, the convicted Unabomber, will be sold in an Internet auction, the proceeds from which will go to those injured during the madman's killing spree, a federal judge has ruled. In an order filed yesterday, U.S. District Court Judge Garland Burrell directed the U.S. Marshals Service to sell off the imprisoned Kaczynski's property, which includes 'original writings,' though not those containing 'diagrams and 'recipes' for making bombs.'

Burrell's order, a copy of which you'll find below, includes a creepy 12-page inventory of items to be auctioned. Along with hundreds of books, bidders will be able to vie for the killer's hatchet, welding mask, blue scarf, three typewriters, and several hooded jackets.

A separate court filing estimates that Kaczynski's writings--which include several versions of his demented 'Manifesto'--cover 40,000 handwritten notebook pages. The material details his urges to kill, acts of vandalism, and includes a meticulous recitation of his 17-year bombing campaign.

Five firearms seized from the lunatic's Montana cabin during a 1996 FBI raid will not be auctioned. Instead, the weapons will be given to Kaczynski's victims and the imprisoned murderer will get a $300 credit toward his $15 million restitution debt...

Source:

Unabomber's Belongings To Be Auctioned | The Smoking Gun

LINK:

http://aolsearcht5.search.aol.com/ao...yword_rollover

OVERVIEW OF BASIC FACTS SUGGESTING CONNECTION BETWEEN KACZYNSKI AND THE ZODIAC KILLER

* Kacsynski lived in the SF Bay area during the time of most of the confirmed Zodiac murders.

* Kaczynski's attorney said he could not provide any alibi dates for Zodiac murder and mailing dates, starting with Bates in 1966 and going to the 1974 letters, and also including the Santa Barbara murders in 1963 and the Swindle murders in 1964.

* Both Zodiac and Kaczynski were ruthless killers, highly intelligent and interested in and expert at bombs and codes.

* Both made references to opera, literature and Norse myths.

* Both demanded their words be published on the front pages of newspapers on penalty of death for innocents if not done.

* Both threatened to bomb mass transit.

* Both left drawings of crossed lines inside circles at crime scenes.

* Both used crossed lines inside circles as signatures.

* Both sent taunting messages to police and victims.

* Both usually used excessive postage, often double postage.

* Both wrote checkmark "r" 's, three stroke "k" 's, five stroke "m" 's and had many other handwriting matches.

* Both commented on the bounty put on their head.

* Both were filled with hatred and a desire for revenge against society.

* Both owned and used Winchester Western .22 Super X ammo.

* Both had guns with flashlights attached to the barrel.

* Kaczynski shot a miner with a rifle - Zodiac threatened to shoot school kids on a bus with a rifle

* Both had an unusual walk - Officer Fouke said the man he saw at the Stine crime scene walked with a "lumbering gait...a semi-limp", a girl at Lake Berryessa observed that a man watching them who may have been the Zodiac "favored one leg over the other", and David Kaczynski said his brother Ted was "noticably pigeon-toed" and that it "affected the way he walked".

* Both had knowledge of Deer Lodge, Montana.

* Zodiac taunted police, hinted he shot SFPD Officer Radetich and most importantly attacked and killed couples in known love making spots; Kaczynski recorded a desire in his journal to kill "police", "rowdy college students", "promiscuous" women and men and "noisy" love making "couples" in September of 1966.

A detective on the EAR/ONS case has determined that Ted Kaczynski has never had his DNA entered into CODIS, and indeed has never even had DNA drawn from his body, despite two seperate federal laws mandating it.

THE POSSIBLE CONNECTION BETWEEN ZODIAC AND EAR/ONS

The Zodiac has long been mentioned by writers and investigators of the Original Night Stalker (ONS) as a possible suspect.

* Both sometimes attacked lone females, but both usually killed male/female couples.

* Both used a flashlight to blind their victims, had gun/knife/pre-cut lengths of rope, ordered the female to tie the male, sometimes wore a hood, targeted mostly middle class suburban areas

* In many of the probable Zodiac crimes in Sonoma County and Northern California, complex nautical knots were used to bind victims, similar to those used by the EAR/ONS.

* Both wore military clothes/boots/shoes, were never caught, exhibited high intelligence and planning, played games with the police and media, wrote letters to the media and wrote cryptic poems.

THE POSSIBLE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE 1963 SANTA BARBARA BEACH MURDERS OF DOMINGOS AND EDWARDS AND THE ZODIAC KILLER

There are many similarities between the Santa Barbara beach murders of Domingos and Edwards in June 1963 and the Zodiac Killer attack at Lake Berryessa in September 1969.

* In both murders we have as victims a male - female couple on a blanket by the water

* In both the attacker has a gun, knife and pre-cut rope.

* In both the attacker orders female to tie male, then binds them both.

* And like the Zodiac Killer attack on 12/20/68 at Lake Herman Road, a victim is shot in the back while running away.

* Also the exact same type of ammo was used at Santa Barbara 1963 and Zodiac attack on Lake Herman Road on 12/20/68 - .22 Winchester Western Super X, six right hand twists and grooves, indicating the same model of gun was used, and perhaps even the exact same weapon.

* There was an attempt to start an arson fire at Santa Barbara - in probable Zodiac victim Kathleen Johns her car was burned, and there are several other arsons close in time and space to suspected Zodiac crimes.

THE POSSIBLE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE 1963 SANTA BARBARA BEACH MURDERS OF DOMINGOS AND EDWARDS AND THE ORIGINAL NIGHT STALKER

Similarities between the Santa Barbara beach attack in 1963 and many of the crimes of the Original Night Stalker include:

* Attacker ordering the female to tie the male

* The killer used complex nautical knots

* The killer put blanket over the bodies or faces of the victims

* The killer leaves burnt wood matches at the scene.

Below are sketches of the 1963 Santa Barbara beach murders suspect "Sandy" and pictures of the young Ted Kaczynski, followed by a picture of Ted Kaczynski 1968 and Zodiac sketch 1969, Ted Kaczynski 1960's and 1970's and Maggiore Killer/EAR/ONS 1978 sketch, and Ted Kaczynski 1980's and EAR/ONS 1986

THE CASE FOR TED KACZYNSKI AS THE ZODIAC

Could the known code expert, bomb designer and cold blooded murderer Theodore Kaczynski have been the Zodiac, who shared all those same qualities and traits? Kaczynski taught at U Cal Berkeley from 1967 to 1969, a position for which he interviewed in the Fall/Winter of 1966. So he was in the SF Bay area for all the key dates of Zodiac activity. In all the public records, there are no conflicts between Kaczynski and known Zodiac murder and mailing dates. An attorney for Kaczynski said that no ailibi's could be presented for any of the Zodiac murder and mailing dates between 1966 and 1974. A witness has placed Kaczynski at the scene of the East Coast Zodiac type knife murder of fellow U of M grad Betsy Aardsma in the Penn State University library on November 28, 1969.

KACZYNSKI AND ZODIAC CONNECTION TO DEER LODGE, MONTANA

One very interesting fact: Zodiac said on 9/27/69 to Bryan Hartnell that he had escaped from "Deer Lodge, Montana", an obscure but beautiful small town that has a state prison. How many people in California would have heard of that town, and why would it be on their minds that they would mention it? I think the number would be very small. But Ted had just driven through or by this tiny town in the middle of nowhere with his brother weeks earlier, and he remarked how beautiful an area it was. It made such an impression that it was within an hour of where Ted would buy the cabin he would live in the rest of his life.

A COMPARISON OF SHARED WORD USAGE, PHRASES AND STYLES BY THE ZODIAC AND KACZYNSKI (MOSTLY BY DOUG OSWELL AND A FEW BY AK WILKS)

Z = Zodiac K = Kaczynski/Unabomber

Z = I hope you enjoy your selves when I have my Blast. Jolly Roger Card.

K = For these reasons, I want to get my revenge in one big blast. GX18-2003F, p. 11.

Z = At the moment the children are safe from the bomb because it is so massive to dig in & the triger mech requires much work to get it adjusted just right. Belli Letter, 1969.

K = Its no fun having to spend all your evenings and weekends preparing dangerous mixtures, filing trigger mechanisms out of scraps of metal .... New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = I gave the cops som bussy work to do to keep them happy. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = This seems to us a thoroughly contemptible way for the human race to end up, and we doubt that many people would find fulfilling lives in such pointless busy-work. Unabomber Manifesto, 1995.

Z = This is the murderer of the 2 teenagers last Christmass at Lake Herman & the girl on the 4th of July near the golf course in Vallejo. To prove I killed them I shall state some facts which only I & the police know. Three-Part Cipher, 1969.

K = To prove that we are the ones who planted the bomb at U. Of Cal. last May we will mention a few details that could be known only to us and the FBI who investigated the incident. S.F. Examiner Letter, 1985.

Z = The police shall never catch me, because I have been too clever for them. Seven-Page letter, 1969.

K = And it doesn't appear that the FBI is going to catch us any time soon. New York Times letter, 1995.

Z = 2 cops pulled a goof. Seven-Page letter, 1969.

K = The FBI is a joke. New York Times letter, 1995.

Z = As of yet I have left no fingerprints behind me contrary to what the police say. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = Contrary to what the FBI has suggested, our bombing at the California Forestry Association was in no way inspired by the Oklahoma City bombing. New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = This is the murderer of the 2 teenagers last Christmass ... July 31, 1969 Letter (Chronicle).
    This is the Zodiac speaking. Numerous correspondences, 1969 through 1971.

K = This is a message from the terrorist group FC. New York Times Letter, April 24, 1995.
    This is a message from FC. Tom Tyler Letter, June 30, 1995.

Z = I promised to punish them if they did not comply, by anilating a full School Buss. But now school is out for the summer, so I punished them in another way. Mt. Diablo Letter, 1970.

K = The people who are pushing all this growth and progress garbage deserve to be severely punished. New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = By the way it could be rather messy if you try to bluff me. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = A special case of Theorem (b) was proved (in effect) in [6, proof of Theorem 6] by means of a rather messy lemma. T.J. Kaczynski. Boundary Functions and Sets of Curvilinear Convergence for Continuous Functions. Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 141 (Jul., 1969), 107-125, p. 124.

Z = [Called violent movie]"deplorable".

K = [Called bombing in OKC]"deplorable".

A HANDWRITING COMPARISON - ZODIAC AND KACZYNSKI

Typewriters

I would like to see a comparison of typewritten messages from both Zodiac and Kaczynski. There could be common typographic errors, similar spacings, etc.

Graysmith in his book Zodiac states that Zodiac used a "portable Royal typewriter with elite type, Canterbury shaded." Whatever that means.

The Royal typewriter company existed from about 1906 to the mid 1970's. Starting in about 1936, they produced a model called the Royal Portable, but later they made a number of different "portable" typewriters with different model names.

Elite type means simply that it was a "12 pitch" typewriter. That is, there would be 12 letters per linear inch and six lines per inch vertically (single space setting). Other typewriters are mostly "10 pitch" models, which have slightly larger print, sometimes referred to as "Pica".

Older typewriters had one kind of type or another, but what they started life with is what they stayed, with slight imperfections. It was not until the advent of the electrical IBM selectrics that interchangable type balls came into being. But even then, a machine was either "12 pitch" or "10 pitch". Very late in the typewriter era, the Selectric III came along on which you could choose either 10 or 12 pitch. Shortly after that, computers made typewriters all but extinct.

I could find no explanation of "Canterbury shaded" in regard to typewriters. Perhaps it refers to the fact that the letters produced looked like a printer's type set by that name.

When the suspect in the Cheri Jo Bates case wrote police, he used all capital letters. I have seen the text of that message, but not the actual document or a photo of it. It is said that he used a number of papers and carbons to come up with a poor quality last copy which he sent to police. Does anyone know of other Zodiac correspondance in which he used a typewriter?

Kaczynski supposedly mailed two typewritten carbon copies of his Manifesto to the Washington Post and the New York Times. Rumor has it that the FBI found the origional document and the typewriter which produced it in Kaczynski's cabin.

Certainly, FBI agents made such statements during their 1996 victory dances and hi fives while taking two weeks to search the cabin. Presumably they found them "with both hands and a flash light". But for some strange reason neither the typewriter nor the origional manifesto was ever shown to the public or put into evidence during Ted's trial.

Getting away from the FBI, there should be photos or copies of what Unibom sent to those newspapers - and that could be compared with the Zodiac type written examples.
    Last edited by Richard; 02-05-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spacing

Assuming Z and Unibomber are one and the same, any theories on why Zodiac would string authorities along for so many years with his letters and then just drop the identity when taking up residence in a cabin in Montana?

I have looked into the typewriter issue. Ted did in fact own a typewriter of the kind that Zodiac was thought to have used. But so did Arthur Leigh Allen. I don't know if the FBI has made a detailed comparison.

Zodiac said after the Stine murder that he would no longer "announce" his murders or take credit for them.

If Ted was the Zodiac, why doesn't he know admit it now and take credit?

Doug Oswell wrote him a letter asking him to provide an alibi for Zodiac crimes and mailings and Ted did not respond. Ted has never denied being the Zodiac, never admitted either, he has refused comment.

Who can fully understand the mind of a serial killer? And a genius serial killer at that?

My thought is that a small part of Ted would like recognition as Zodiac, America's Jack the Ripper, the man who made the codes the FBI couldn't break.

But a much larger part of Ted does not want to be revealed as Zodiac.

First of all, Ted is serving a life sentence in federal max security, solitary confinement, in a new prison. A confession to the Zodiac and related crimes could expose Ted to a death penalty and/or time in noisy, dirty, crowded state prison. I think Ted likes being alive and where he is.

Most of all, Ted is regarded as a hero by some and a serious thinker by others. He has had books published here and in France. There are those in the radical environmental and primitivist anarchist movements who think the Unabomber crimes of blowing up forestry industry lobbyists and Exxon PR execs were justifiable acts of political violence to "save the Earth."

Ted gets letters from students and professors. He is talked about in certain academic and political journals.

IF TED IS EXPOSED AS THE ZODIAC ALL THAT GOES AWAY.

The majority of those who admire him, his Manifesto, his philosophy and his political/social terrorism would NOT understand or admire sneaking up on teenagers in lovers lanes and brutally murdering them. They would not approve of stabbing a bound woman with a knife. They would not approve of threatening to blow up a school bus. The Zodiac crimes have no obvious political nature and the targets were not political. They are likely the crimes of a sexually frustrated psychopath and that is how they would be viewed.

Thus you can see why Ted does not admit the Zodiac crimes.

Ted had what he called the "Queer System", in which he ranked diary passages and physical evidence on a "Queer Scale." It was 1 to 14, I think, and had "slightly queer", "moderately queer", etc., going up to "totally queer", "Major Queer". The scale determined if things were to be coded, buried or burned.

All of the 16 known Unabomber crimes were detailed in Ted's journals. But Ted wrote that accounts and evidence of unspecified other crimes were, under his queer system, buried or burned, because their exposure would be "dangerous", "embarassing" or "just very bad public relations".

I think these probably are the Zodiac crimes.

KACZYNSKI INTEREST IN CROSSED LINES INSIDE CIRCLES

Just like the zodiac, Kaczynski used crossed lines inside circles as a signature and drew crossed lines inside a circle at a crime scene.

Kaczynski had a life long interest in, almost obsession with, crossed lines inside circles.

1. He signed a yearbook with his "mark" - crossed lines inside a circle.

2. He spent several years of graduate study and his PHD dissertation on the boundary functions of circles, in particular dealing with the unit circle, which looks like the Zodiac symbol.

3. At the campus of a Unabomber target, he spraypainted the Yggdrasil symbol, also known as the Algiz Rune, along with the letters "FC" and "Anarchy". The Anglo-Saxon translation of the Algiz Rune is "Z"! It consists of, once again, crossed lines inside a circle. The Yggdrasil is the World Tree, but it also stands for "tree of terror; gallows", and the Algiz Rune also means to "wound severely; to mark with blood."

And a close up on his signature with the crossed lines inside a circle.

Close up on Unit Circle, Zodiac Symbol and Unabomber Symbols

NOTE: Special thanks to AweShucks for graphics and image work, Ricardo for research on and images of Santa Barbara suspect "Sandy", Doug Oswell for all of his great research in particular on shared words and symbols, Morf for research on Aardsma and other cases, Cimm for info on the Percy case, Linda, Drew and others for reseach and information. Thank you all. Having said that, the ideas and theories here are my own, and it should not be considered that those listed agree with all or any of them.

THE BIRTH OF THE ZODIAC?

In the summer of 1966, most likely late August/early September 1966, Ted Kaczynski records a break through moment in his life. He is a genius, yet socially alienated and isolated. He decribes hearing the sound of couples having sex in the apartment next door to his, and he says it fills him with frustration and anger. Out of despair and self described "acute sexual starvation", he records in his journal that instead of killing himself he will "really kill everyone I hate."

The people he says he hates and wants to kill are many, but they include two distinct groups. One group is what he calls "bigshots" or "government officials", and these include "scientists", "big businessmen", "politicians" and "police".

The other group of people he hated and wanted to kill included love making "couples", "rowdy college students" and those college men and women he deems "promiscuous". Look at the government psychiatric report on Kaczynski done after he was arrested for the Unabomber crimes:

In the summer after his fourth year [of graduate school, the summer of 1966], he describes experiencing a period of several weeks where he was sexually excited nearly all the time and was fantasizing himself as a woman and being unable to obtain any sexual relief. He decided to make an effort to have a sex change operation. When he returned to the University of Michigan [most likely in late August or early September 1966] he made an appointment to see a psychiatrist to be examined to determine if the sex change would be good for him. He claimed that by putting on an act he could con the psychiatrist into thinking him suitable for a feminine role even though his motive was exclusively erotic. As he was sitting in the waiting room, he turned completely against the idea of the operation and thus, when he saw the doctor, instead claimed he was depressed about the possibility of being drafted. He describes the following:

"As I walked away from the building afterwards, I felt disgusted about what my uncontrolled sexual cravings had almost led me to do and I felt humiliated, and I violently hated the psychiatrist. Just then there came a major turning point in my life. Like a Phoenix, I burst from the ashes of my despair to a glorious new hope. I thought I wanted to kill that psychiatrist because the future looked utterly empty to me. I felt I wouldn't care if I died. And so I said to myself why not really kill the psychiatrist and anyone else whom I hate. What is important is not the words that ran through my mind but the way I felt about them. What was entirely new was the fact that I really felt I could kill someone. My very hopelessness had liberated me because I no longer cared about death. I no longer cared about consequences and I said to myself that I really could break out of my rut in life an do things that were daring, irresponsible or criminal." [Psych Report] {Emphasis added}

That happened sometime in the summer of 1966, most likely in late August/early September 1966. Probably mere days later, on or around September 3, 1966, bombs go off at the suburban Chicago house of Elmwood Park Mayor Elmer Conti and at a glass company on Paulina St. in Chicago. Within weeks there is another attack on a home of an Illinois politician Republican Senate nominee and Bell & Howell CEO Charles Percy, this one far more brutal and lethal, and his daughter Valerie Percy is murdered on September 18. One week later Monsanto chemical engineer Jerry Bricca, his wife Linda and daughter Debbie in suburban Cincinnati are bound and killed. On October 30, 1966, when evidence shows Ted Kaczynski is in California, the first probable Zodiac crime, the murder of college student Cheri Jo Bates occurs.

His first confirmed Unabomber crime was in 1978, when he was 36 years old. Yet we know from research that the most active and violent period for the majority of serial killers is from their late teens to late twenties. And we see that Kaczynski reports the motivation, desire and ability to kill at least as early as the summer of 1966.

In 1966 he was a sexually frustrated and confused young man who resolved to kill those he hated, which included "bigshots" but also college students and young women. He later recorded a fantasy of mutiliating a woman's face with a knife. He also wanted to - and did - kill "bigshots" like "big businessmen" and "politicians", and Bell & Howell CEO and soon to be Senator Charles Percy would represent those things to him, as well being a man associated with high technology through his company. And Mr. Bricca was a scientist working for a major corporation. The fathers of Valerie Percy, Linda Bricca and Cheri Jo Bates all worked for companies or facilities involved in technology that had government defense contracts.

In September 1966, of course, Ted was officially enrolled at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. But his TA duties and course work were done, and his thesis almost finished. There was nothing to require him to be physically present at the campus. We know that sometime in the later Fall and/or Winter of 1966 evidence shows he went to California for job interviews at the University of California, Berkeley. Where Percy was killed in Kenilworth, Illinois is ony 30 mintues from the Kaczynski family home in Evergreen Park, Illinois. Ann Arbor is only a three to four hour trip by car or train to Chicago, and a four hour trip by car to Cincinnati, Ohio.

SECOND SKETCH OF SUSPECT IN PERCY MURDER AND PICTURE OF TED KACZYNSKI

COULD KACZYNSKI KILL UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH A KNIFE, BLUNT OBJECT OR GUN?

One of the main objections some people will make to the evidence about Kaczynski being the killer of Valerie Percy, the Zodiac or the EAR/ONS - and I admit it is at first glance a reasonable objection - is that Ted was mainly known to kill with bombs, not up close and personal with a gun, blunt object or knife.

If at some point you talk to an FBI Agent, criminal psychologist or serial killer profiler, they will no doubt tell you that the majority of "distance killers", those who kill by bomb or poison, do not typically also commit "up close and personal" crimes with a gun, knife or blunt object.

First, even if studies of known cases show that majority did not also do personal crimes, there is a minority who did. Kaczynski had a unique pathology - a specific hatred of technology, business leaders and politicians (which shows up in his Unabomber crimes from 1978 to 1996 and also may have played in a role in the selection of the Percy and Bricca homes as a target), but also the general rage expressed in 1966, in which he wanted to kill "college students" and women. So Kaczynski may well be in the minority of distance killers who also kill up close and personal. For example, Joseph Paul Franklin did racially motivated bombings, but also killed a lone female jogger driven by lust and rage.

Second, there is evidence Kaczynski actually thought about and even did kill up close and personal.

The FBI states he actually did shoot and wound a miner with a rifle. In his journal that recorded in detail all of his bombing crimes, he also wrote of unspecified other crimes whose evidence he had destroyed and accounts of had burned or buried, because their revelation (in light of his growing reputation as a political terrorist and anti-technology activist) could prove "dangerous, embarassing or just very bad public relations." Certainly the brutal murder of a young college girl like Valerie Percy or the lovers lane killings of young couples by the Zodiac would not be something he would want publicly known, when some on the fringes of the radical environmental and anarchist movements now touted him as a hero of sorts.

He recorded a desire to kill people by "bomb or other means". He wrote fantasies about mutilating a women's face with a knife and raping a woman in front of her husband. He spent a year and made a one shot .22 pistol from wood and junk parts that he wrote he intended to use as a "homicide weapon". As a one shot untraceable weapon, it would best be used in situations were the victim was immobile, such as being bound or asleep.

He created a shoe device to leave false sole prints of sizes other than his own. That would not help for the known Unabomber crimes, but would for up close and personal crimes. The FBI records he had black and green canvas and denim HOODS and MASKS in his cabin - again, only suitable for personal crimes, and both the Zodiac and the EAR/ONS wore hoods and masks. He was a known peeper on love making couples, armed burglar, house trasher and arsonist.

One item I find interesting was that in reading about the EAR/ONS case it was mentioned that his shoe size was thought to be in the 9 to 9 1/2 area, and that matches Kaczynski. But I also read about some smaller shoe prints - an 8 or 8 1/2 - found at one or more scenes. If true that is interesting in light of something found in the Kaczynski cabin. He created a shoe with a smaller size sole attached to the bottom.

Apparently it was invented as a rather clever way to fool police about his own size 9 to 10 shoes, by putting a smaller shoe underneath. See it below.

The strange thing is he did most of his KNOWN crimes by mail, or a few by placing bombs in parking lots or on cement. So why did he create this shoe device? He also had maps of the LA area, yet he was never KNOWN to have done a crime there. Both the shoe device and the LA maps are generally inconsistent or not relevant to his Unabomber crimes, but may match the Zodiac and EAR/ONS crimes.

COLLEGE GIRL MURDERS 1966 - 1969: CASES THAT MAY BE RELATED - PERCY, BATES, SHEPARD,AARDSMA

Sharon Bubes, Evanston, IL - Attacked in her bedroom with a hammer, 6/30/66

Valerie Percy, Kenilworth, IL - Murdered in her bedroom by hammer like object and knife, 9/18/66

Bricca Family, Cincinnati, OH - Found bound and murdered in bedrooms by knife, 9/27/66

Cheri Jo Bates, Riverside, CA - Murdered at campus library by knife, 10/30/66

Confession letter in Cheri Jo Bates murder, Riverside, CA - mailed on 11/28/66

Cecelia Shepard, Lake Berryessa, CA - Bound and murdered by knife, 9/27/69

Betsy Aardsma, State College, PA - Murdered in campus library by knife, 11/28/69

PICTURES

Left: Valerie Percy
    Middle: Cheri Jo Bates
    Right: Betsy Aardsma

THE VICTIMS

We know that it is most likely around late August/early September of 1966 when Kaczynski states he was "born again" and decided to "really kill everyone I hate." He states he was suffering from "acute sexual starvation" and that some of the people he wants to kill are love making couples, "college students" and young men and women. Looking at these cases we see possible links between them.

Note also that the Zodiac Killer is a prime suspect in the death of Ms. Bates, and that the interest in Kaczynski as a suspect for the Zodiac has been renewed and is ongoing. Kaczynski was in the SF Bay area at the time of the Zodiac murders, and like the Zodiac, wrote to newspapers demanding his words on the front page and was an expert in codes and bombs.

The Zodiac was known to do mailings and crimes on the anniversary dates of other crimes. On the three year anniversary of the discovery of the Bricca murders, September 27, 1969, the Zodiac attacked a couple at Lake Berryessa, CA, and bound them with rope before stabbing them. The woman, Cecelia Shepard, was stabbed 10 times and was killed. (Note: On or around September 26/27 1982, the 16th anniversary of the Bricca slaying and the 13th anniversary of the Zodiac murder of Shepard, someone put Cyanide tainted Tylenol on store shelves in the Chicago area. All the tampering sites were within a 20 minute radius of the Kaczynski family home in Lombard, Illinois).

Looking at the pictures of Valerie Percy, Cheri Jo Bates and Betsy Aardsma, there are clear similarities (and I think Linda Bricca and Cecelia Shepard would fit in here as well). All the girls are beautiful, with fresh faces and mid length hair. If perhaps not looking quite like sisters, they certainly look like they could be cousins, all from the same family.

All these women were in the same age range and all were college students. All were intelligent, charming, independent and assertive. All were "good girls" to use the language of the times. All lead clean lives with no clear suspects in their murders.

Percy and Aardsma were both graduate students. Percy had graduated from Cornell and was to start graduate school at John Hopkins; Aardsma had graduated from the University of Michigan and had just started grad school at Penn State.

It seems Ted Kaczynski had either actually or potentially crossed paths with each of these women, had a tie to the area they were in and was actually in each of the three different states they were in when they were killed.

* Percy's Kenilworth home was within 30 minutes of where Kaczynski's family home in Evergreen Park was located, and four hours from Ann Arbor, Michigan.

* Before enrolling at the University of Michigan, Aardsma visited and spent extensive time in Ann Arbor in 1966-1967, Ted's last year there, they both shared an interest Native American Indian cultures and in politics, Aardsma was researching a mathematician when killed and most importantly a witness has placed Ted at the murder scene, in the Penn State library the day before the murder.

* Bates was killed in Riverside, California during the time that evidence shows Ted went out there in the late Fall/early Winter of 1966 to interview with the University of California, Berkeley, which also has campuses in LA and Riverside.

* Percy was stabbed multiple times and bludgeoned in the head; Bates was stabbed multiple times and kicked in the head; Aardsma was killed by a single brutal knife thrust to the heart.

MO MATCHES AND OTHER SIMILARITIES IN THE MURDERS

In particular, there are very notable similarities between the murder of Ms. Bates in California on October 30, 1966 (when evidence shows Kaczynski was in that state), and the murder of Ms. Aardsma on November 28, 1969 at the Penn State library (when evidence shows Kaczynski was there, at that library). In some instances there are also similarities to the Percy murder. University of Michigan graduate Betsy Aardsma, attending Penn State graduate school, was brutally murdered. Like the murder of Ms. Bates:

* The murder took place within one day of a major Fall Holiday (Bates Halloween, Aardsma Thanksgiving). (Percy near the Autumnal Equinox and Harvest Moon, Bricca and Shepard on the Norse Harvest Festival).

* The murder took place at or in a campus library (Bates at the library, Aardsma actually in the library).

* The weapon was a short knife, approximately 1 inch wide and 3 1/2 to 4 inches long. (I don't know the length of knife used on Percy but a bayonet was found in the lake nearby, Bricca was killed by a 6 1/2 inch knife, perhaps a bayonet, and Shepard may have also been killed with a bayonet or bayonet sized weapon).

* The attack was brutal and the victims led clean lives with no obvious suspects. (Also true of Percy, Bricca and Shepard).

* In both cases taunting letters were sent after the crime. (A threat letter was sent to Charles Percy in May 1966, Zodiac letter sent after Shepard murder).

* A poem found written/etched onto a wood surface at the Riverside college talked about killing a girl in a red dress, and Aardsma was wearing a red dress when killed. Also a morbid and cryptic statement about death was written/etched onto a wood surface, perhaps by the Aardsma killer, and signed "RSK". (Zodiac wrote a message on the car door where Shepard was killed). (The Riverside poem had the initials "RH"; Penn State writing was signed "RSK"; to throw police off track, Kaczynski later put a message in a bomb signed "RV")

After the Zodiac murder of cab driver Paul Stine in October 1969, and the release of the Zodiac composite sketch in early November 1969, the SF area would have been very hot for the Zodiac. It would be prudent for him to leave, and in fact, Ted's brother David says Ted did leave California at that time and came home to Illinois. That puts him in the eastern half of the US and a days drive from PA when Aardsma is killed. Ted's father was from PA. Prior to the murder of Aardsma, Zodiac claimed 7 victims - but in his Christmas letter to Melvin Belli he says he may take a ninth and tenth victim. Who was number 8? Could it have been Aardsma?

Most importantly, a witness recently picked out a picture of Ted Kaczynski as being present in the Penn State library the day before Aardsma was killed, acting strangely and perhaps wearing a wig.

THE SUSPECT SKETCHES AND PHOTOGRAPHS OF KACZYNSKI

You can see there is a similarity between Ted and a suspect sketch in the Aardsma case. And there are similarities between the Percy suspect sketch and the Aardsma suspect sketch, including the general face structure, prominent jaw, jutting chin, nose, as well as the same type of glasses.

Given that the attacker of Ms. Bubes and the killer of Ms. Percy were only seen briefly, in very poor light and at an unknown angle, certain aspects may not have been observed correctly. It is possible the narrowness of the face was slightly overstated. In addition, the murder of Aardsma was three years and two months after the murder of Percy. In that time frame, it is reasonable to speculate that as the suspect grew older he may have put on a little bit of weight in the face.

Given those two factors, as an experiment, I took the first and second suspect sketches in the murder of Valerie Percy and MODIFIED THEM BY WIDENING 18%. You can see them below and compare it to the Aardsma suspect sketch and the pictures of Ted Kaczynski in between them.

-----------------------------

SUSPECT SKETCHES

PICTURE OF TED KACZYNSKI
    SANTA BARBARA COUPLES MURDERER SUSPECT "SANDY" 1963
    PERCY AND BRICCA MODIFIED SUSPECT SKETCH 1966
    ZODIAC KILLER SAN FRANCISCO 1969
    PICTURE OF TED KACZYNSKI

SECOND SKETCH OF "SANDY" SANTA BARBARA COUPLES MURDERER SUSPECT 1963
    SONOMA COUNTY ZODIAC SKETCH 1975
    TED KACZYNSKI 1978
    ORIGINAL NIGHT STALKER SKETCH 1978

You can see that on the basis of the suspect sketches it cannot be ruled out that they are all one man. For Santa Barbara, Percy/Bricca, Zodiac and EAR/ONS, the basic physical description of the suspects in all of these cases MATCHES AND GENERALLY MATCH KACZYNSKI - 5'8' - 5'10" tall, 150 to 170 pounds, dirty sandy blonde to light brown hair (slight reddish tinge), thin but wiry and athletic build, size 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 shoe print, blue eyes, large hawk like nose, almond shaped eyes, elongated upper lip and prissy lower lip, large forehead, prominent jaw, jutting chin, wears sneakers/military shoes/military boots, often wears plaid or checkered pattern shirts, wears military jacket, ties nautical knots, ties victims with pre cut rope or shoelaces, sometimes wears black reading glasses as a disguise.

The ages generally fit as well - with the Santa Barbara killer described as 18 to 25 in 1963, the Percy murder suspect as 18 to 25 in 1966, the Zodiac as 25 to 35 in 1969 and the Original Night Stalker as 28 to 35 in the late seventies.
    Last edited by AKWILKS; 02-09-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast