761 users online (104 members and 657 guests)  

Websleuths News

OK - Tulsa man insists hate-crime intent "misunderstood"

Man charged with hate crime says intent misunderstood

A Tulsa man who is charged with making threats against a local mosque and is being held in a mental health facility said he is not a violent person and that his message has been misinterpreted.

Jesse Quinn Harrison, 33, was charged Dec. 28 with transmitting a threatening letter and with malicious intimidation or harassment under Oklahoma’s hate-crimes statute. The charges allege that Harrison sent a letter to the Islamic Peace Academy “with the intent to intimidate.”

The charges also allege that a video showing Harrison “smearing pork on the Quran and (on a picture of) an Islamic religious figure and grilling those items” was posted online by Harrison with the intent of producing “violence directed to others because of their religious belief.”

But Harrison told the Tulsa World that although he recognizes that the video could be offensive to many, it was not his intent to harass Muslims. He said his goal was to “shine a light on the hypocrisy and fear that drives so much hate” and that the video is an exercise of his First Amendment right to free speech.
    ---
    Muneer Awad, executive director of the Oklahoma Chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said he has seen the video sent by Harrison and knew that authorities were keeping an eye on him before he was charged. But he said he acknowledges Harrison’s right to post such materials despite their offensive nature.

“We understand and believe it’s important to respect the First Amendment rights of every person,” Awad said. “The concern was the fact that there was a specific date that he was going to do a certain something.”
    ---

lengthy & interesting, the rest of the article is here:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/c...0_ATlamn701390

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Man charged with hate crime says intent misunderstood

A Tulsa man who is charged with making threats against a local mosque and is being held in a mental health facility said he is not a violent person and that his message has been misinterpreted.

Jesse Quinn Harrison, 33, was charged Dec. 28 with transmitting a threatening letter and with malicious intimidation or harassment under Oklahoma’s hate-crimes statute. The charges allege that Harrison sent a letter to the Islamic Peace Academy “with the intent to intimidate.”

The charges also allege that a video showing Harrison “smearing pork on the Quran and (on a picture of) an Islamic religious figure and grilling those items” was posted online by Harrison with the intent of producing “violence directed to others because of their religious belief.”

But Harrison told the Tulsa World that although he recognizes that the video could be offensive to many, it was not his intent to harass Muslims. He said his goal was to “shine a light on the hypocrisy and fear that drives so much hate” and that the video is an exercise of his First Amendment right to free speech.
    ---
    Muneer Awad, executive director of the Oklahoma Chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said he has seen the video sent by Harrison and knew that authorities were keeping an eye on him before he was charged. But he said he acknowledges Harrison’s right to post such materials despite their offensive nature.

“We understand and believe it’s important to respect the First Amendment rights of every person,” Awad said. “The concern was the fact that there was a specific date that he was going to do a certain something.”
    ---

lengthy & interesting, the rest of the article is here:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/c...0_ATlamn701390
    <SNIP>
    <SNIP>

That's a bit difficult to "Misunderstand".

I think Muneer Awad hits exactly the right tone in his statement about the incident.

IMO, he belongs exactly where he is. The involuntary stay at the mental health hospital/clinic place is just about right, if you ask me. His highly irrational explanation of why he says he did what he did to the Islamic Peace Society made absolutely no logical sense. If someone else can find the logic, please post!! I honestly cannot make sense of it. But then again, I'm very tired! LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by mssheila View Post
    IMO, he belongs exactly where he is. The involuntary stay at the mental health hospital/clinic place is just about right, if you ask me. His highly irrational explanation of why he says he did what he did to the Islamic Peace Society made absolutely no logical sense. If someone else can find the logic, please post!! I honestly cannot make sense of it. But then again, I'm very tired! LOL....
    In full agreement here, and I did have a good night's sleep. I read the Tulsa World article twice to try and figure out if Mr. Harrison was a.) either fully insane at this time, or b.) merely an ineffective liar. Conclusion: keep him locked down in the mental health place till this can be ascertained!

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    yeah ok

It really irks me how people like this think the rest of the world is stupid

hey jesse - we're not buying it and we're not stupid

you're not misunderstood - you're a racist criminal