Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 518

Thread: UK - Joanna Yeates, Clifton, Bristol, 17 December 2010 - #3

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanic, sorta
    Posts
    22,677

    UK - Joanna Yeates, Clifton, Bristol, 17 December 2010 - #3

    And it's on to Round # 3, the unfortunate death of Joanna Yeates, her body found on Longwood Lane on 25 December.

    REMEMEBER, disagree, but don't bicker for the sake of it; attack the post if need be, but never the poster; maintain your sense of politesse; and PLEASE do not re-introduce into the equation things which currently have no bearing on the case, e.g., paedophiles, or the perceived presence of a gay community in Clifton, Bristol - the first of these is by law condemnable; the second in practice may be exemplary. But neither at this time appear to be at issue in this case.

    Absolutely terrific discussion and sleuthing so far, and welcome to those new to the case. Excellent links to information from media abound on Threads #1 and #2; familiarizing yourself with the case will enhance your understanding of the discussion on this, its third thread.

    MORE LINKS

    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159"]WebSleuths Terms of Service: The Rules[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123528"]Thread #1 here[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124449"]Thread #2 here[/ame]


    NOTE FROM MODS

    If you see a post that violates the TOS - you need to report it by hitting the little red triangle in the upper right corner of the post. If you respond to the post, you will be held accountable as having broken the TOS.

    Read the rules and know them. This is a moderated forum and we don't do ugly here.

    Salem
    Last edited by Salem; 01-08-2011 at 06:11 PM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wales, U.K.
    Posts
    281
    Totally agree with your entire post.
    "There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wales UK.
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    And it's on to Round # 3, the unfortunate death of Joanna Yeates, her body found on Longwood Lane on 25 December.

    REMEMEBER, disagree, but don't bicker for the sake of it; attack the post if need be, but never the poster; maintain your sense of politesse; and PLEASE do not re-introduce into the equation things which currently have no bearing on the case, e.g., paedophiles, or the perceived presence of a gay community in Clifton, Bristol - the first of these is by law condemnable; the second in practice may be exemplary. But neither at this time appear to be at issue in this case.

    Absolutely terrific discussion and sleuthing so far, and welcome to those new to the case. Excellent links to information from media abound on Threads #1 and #2; familiarizing yourself with the case will enhance your understanding of the discussion on this, its third thread.

    MORE LINKS

    WebSleuths Terms of Service: The Rules

    Thread #1 here

    Thread #2 here
    Thanks Wfgodot, lets hope third time lucky and we catch him, been a bit busy today, need to catch up, hope to get back later.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whitedove For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanic, sorta
    Posts
    22,677
    Not to repeat myself, but you all have made this a terrific thread.

  8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    335
    Several voices were raised towards the end of the last thread to demand that the police should publicly and unequivocally state their conviction of GR's total innocence. Call me a cynic if you wish, but if I were GR and innocent (as I think he is) I'd being asking them to do no such thing. I'd be too fraid that the announcement might have the opposite effect on public opinion.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nausicaa For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wales UK.
    Posts
    143
    Jo joined a Rowing Club, I don't think Greg was member, anyone know if this could be the one, lots of photo's of people.

    http://www.bristolrowing.co.uk/gallery.php

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wales, U.K.
    Posts
    281
    Teibreid last post:

    I cannot agree that that where the body was found is on the route from Clifton to Sheffield. In fact that route involves a lot of extra miles compared to picking up the M32 just north of the city centre.
    The police must have strong evidence from enforcement cameras, cctv, whatever, that he drove to Sheffield at the time he said he did. Otherwise he would have been arrested. And surely they carried out a full forensic examination of the car he drove to Sheffield in- has that ever been mentioned, though?
    So far his alibi is holding up. But I don't exclude the possibility that he got to Sheffield, then immediately drove back in another car to sort things out with Jo, and found a situation he couldn't handle.

    Sorry...lost this post when they decided to AGAIN change the thread address. I did a route map from Bristol to Sheffield and if taking the SECOND bridge crossing and passing through Longwood Lane...and out at Gordano Services...would probably add 20mins to his journey...which could easily be 'consumed' by bad weather road conditions.
    "There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    139
    i rather agree with the professor quoted in today's bristol evening post....to me cj displays the necessary traits for this murder....an overwhelming feeling of his guilt....just a personal response to his portrayal of himself compared with version he wd like society to believe....

    anyone agree.....

    think all the other things eg tesco, times, cider all extra items...


    but....how was the body taken out....

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to naturally suspicious For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wales, U.K.
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
    Several voices were raised towards the end of the last thread to demand that the police should publicly and unequivocally state their conviction of GR's total innocence. Call me a cynic if you wish, but if I were GR and innocent (as I think he is) I'd being asking them to do no such thing. I'd be too fraid that the announcement might have the opposite effect on public opinion.
    On the other hand...their statement that G/R was only a witness has raised, maybe unfair, suspicions about his guilt.
    "There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"

  17. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    132
    Re: wfgodot
    Not to repeat myself, but you all have made this a terrific thread.

    You too Godot... I am really enjoying the level of investigative sleuthing. I am heartbroken that this lovely young lady met such an awful death. This is pure evil in our society. I hope this perp is caught soon. By the way I think the cops are doing a great job.

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MMENJBRIT For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    132
    Re: Naturally Susp.

    i rather agree with the professor quoted in today's bristol evening post....to me cj displays the necessary traits for this murder....an overwhelming feeling of his guilt....just a personal response to his portrayal of himself compared with version he wd like society to believe....

    anyone agree.....

    think all the other things eg tesco, times, cider all extra items...


    but....how was the body taken out....

    We're on the same page Naturally Susp .... the cider is a non issue for me,( watch it will be the critical link!!)
    It strikes me that he feels he is above the law... it is ALL about him and his being high above the 'rabble', that he can tell L/E where it's at, and can sue them taboot.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to MMENJBRIT For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanic, sorta
    Posts
    22,677
    Here's the link again from the Daily Express article posted on Thread #2, for either those just coming upon the case, or those who missed it last time - it is, I think, quite informative in terms of how a murder case like Jo's is investigated; written by "one of our top retired detectives," it gives a sense of what law enforcement is up against in terms of specific evidence in this case:

    JOANNA YEATES: THE CRUCIAL QUESTIONS

    By the way, I do want to invite those reading as guests - I saw that there were 17 looking on a short time ago - to join WebSleuths. We do value input, and yours would be greatly appreciated!

  22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wales, U.K.
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by MMENJBRIT View Post
    Re: Naturally Susp.

    i rather agree with the professor quoted in today's bristol evening post....to me cj displays the necessary traits for this murder....an overwhelming feeling of his guilt....just a personal response to his portrayal of himself compared with version he wd like society to believe....

    anyone agree.....

    think all the other things eg tesco, times, cider all extra items...


    but....how was the body taken out....

    We're on the same page Naturally Susp .... the cider is a non issue for me,( watch it will be the critical link!!)
    It strikes me that he feels he is above the law... it is ALL about him and his being high above the 'rabble', that he can tell L/E where it's at, and can sue them taboot.
    Yeah, agree that CJ feels he is above the 'rabble'...but then..he is. This is a very intelligent, well educated individual. Okay...weird hair (but, in the 60s' weren't we all?)
    bit nosey...but part of the Neighbourhood Watch (and believe me,, they are very nosey).
    I do, however, think this man knows a little more...not necessarily because he was part of any crime...but more that he knows his neighbours a liitle more than us or the police. He, like many educated, retired professors, is solitary...but that does NOT make him a murderer...it just makes him...(a little like me) not want to mix with most of his neighbours/contemporaries. This is not strange behaviour...in my mind...it is very, very normal. Why mix with anyone you do not wish to?..nor those you share no empathy with?
    "There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:


  25. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Here's the link again from the Daily Express article posted on Thread #2, for either those just coming upon the case, or those who missed it last time - it is, I think, quite informative in terms of how a murder case like Jo's is investigated; written by "one of our top retired detectives," it gives a sense of what law enforcement is up against in terms of specific evidence in this case:

    JOANNA YEATES: THE CRUCIAL QUESTIONS

    By the way, I do want to invite those reading as guests - I saw that there were 17 looking on a short time ago - to join WebSleuths. We do value input, and yours would be greatly appreciated!
    Hi.

    I'm was one of those guests lurking for a few days. I must say this is a very puzzling and absorbing case. I have a few things that i can't get to grips with. Like why is there no mention of the Quarry at all? We know the body was left on the grass verge outside the quarry entrance. But when did the quarry close for Christmas. Was there no security, nightwatchmen on such a big site? Someone must have opened the gate only feet away from the body if it was left there weekend 17th. Snow cover or not, I think you would notice a body there.

    Also are the Police only considering the Clifton suspension bridge as the only route taken? Just because it's the quickest way, It doesn't mean it's the only way to Longwood Lane. Someone having just commited a murder doesn't act rationally. Some can think better under pressure than others I guess. But in all honesty anyone living in Bristol would know the Clifton suspension bridge is a notorious suicide spot. You have to stop the car infront of C.C.T.V to pay the toll. Even someone in a mass panic would give that route a very wide berth. We've all seen Crimewatch and the news, everyone is wise to C.C.T.V catching criminals these days.

    If the police are only counting on that route and discounting others. I think there making a big mistake myself. They want to look at the next bridge down, the Avon bridge route in my opinion.

  26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Phillb For This Useful Post:


  27. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanic, sorta
    Posts
    22,677
    Hello PhillB, and welcome to WebSleuths. Thank you for joining us.

  28. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillb View Post
    If the police are only counting on that route and discounting others. I think there making a big mistake myself. They want to look at the next bridge down, the Avon bridge route in my opinion.
    Welcome Phillb. Good point. How big a detour does the Avon Bridge route involve in terms of time and miles ?

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Nausicaa For This Useful Post:


  30. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Hello PhillB, and welcome to WebSleuths. Thank you for joining us.
    Thanks.

    And one more thing i forgot..

    The missing sock.
    We've heard everything it could have been used for, from a ligature to it was taken as a trophy. But how about it was used for a practical reason at the body deposit site? One i've not heard mentioned before. What if the sock was used as a glove in a panic situation. Wear it like a glove to avoid fingerprints. Or wipe your hands with, wouldn't there be dirt on your hands after placing the body of the wet ground/snow. Surely some attempt at covering the body with leaves or snow was made?

  31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Phillb For This Useful Post:


  32. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wales, U.K.
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillb View Post
    Hi.

    I'm was one of those guests lurking for a few days. I must say this is a very puzzling and absorbing case. I have a few things that i can't get to grips with. Like why is there no mention of the Quarry at all? We know the body was left on the grass verge outside the quarry entrance. But when did the quarry close for Christmas. Was there no security, nightwatchmen on such a big site? Someone must have opened the gate only feet away from the body if it was left there weekend 17th. Snow cover or not, I think you would notice a body there.

    Also are the Police only considering the Clifton suspension bridge as the only route taken? Just because it's the quickest way, It doesn't mean it's the only way to Longwood Lane. Someone having just commited a murder doesn't act rationally. Some can think better under pressure than others I guess. But in all honesty anyone living in Bristol would know the Clifton suspension bridge is a notorious suicide spot. You have to stop the car infront of C.C.T.V to pay the toll. Even someone in a mass panic would give that route a very wide berth. We've all seen Crimewatch and the news, everyone is wise to C.C.T.V catching criminals these days.

    If the police are only counting on that route and discounting others. I think there making a big mistake myself. They want to look at the next bridge down, the Avon bridge route in my opinion.
    Welcome Phillb....great points..there are two obvious other routes other than the Clifton bridge...but think the police have already discounted this as a route taken by the perp.
    "There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:


  34. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wales, U.K.
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymot View Post
    Welcome Phillb....great points..there are two obvious other routes other than the Clifton bridge...but think the police have already discounted this as a route taken by the perp.
    Hi again, if you google earth the flat and where the body was found...then put in Gordano services...you will see the easy route (exluding Clifton suspension bridge) from the flat to the M5 motorway.
    "There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:


  36. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
    Several voices were raised towards the end of the last thread to demand that the police should publicly and unequivocally state their conviction of GR's total innocence. Call me a cynic if you wish, but if I were GR and innocent (as I think he is) I'd being asking them to do no such thing. I'd be too fraid that the announcement might have the opposite effect on public opinion.
    Do the police ever make such statements? Isn't it a bit like HMRC ( = IRS) advertising the fact that something isn't taxable?

  37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slewth For This Useful Post:


  38. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London - UK
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillb View Post
    Thanks.

    And one more thing i forgot..

    The missing sock.
    We've heard everything it could have been used for, from a ligature to it was taken as a trophy. But how about it was used for a practical reason at the body deposit site? One i've not heard mentioned before. What if the sock was used as a glove in a panic situation. Wear it like a glove to avoid fingerprints. Or wipe your hands with, wouldn't there be dirt on your hands after placing the body of the wet ground/snow. Surely some attempt at covering the body with leaves or snow was made?
    The sock looked rather big & possibly stretchy, is it possible the murderer used the sock as a balaclava ??

    'IMO'



    Rest In Peace Alice Gross

  39. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    466


    This is the reason why I think anyone just commiting such a serious crime would avoid the suspension bridge like the plague. You can see the toll point with no less than 3 C.C.T.V cameras visible.



    I've marked the Clifton suspension bridge route to the Quarry in blue. The alternative Avon bridge route in orange, which is also the route most people in Bristol would be familiar with and know i should imagine. It certainly leads more to the centre of Bristol by the looks of things.

    All has gone quiet on the C.C.T.V front, and they've have had 14 days to go through it now.
    Last edited by Phillb; 01-08-2011 at 05:33 PM.

  40. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Phillb For This Useful Post:


  41. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wales, U.K.
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    The sock looked rather big & possibly stretchy, is it possible the murderer used the sock as a balaclava ??

    No way if it was my sock...they would have passed out and been caught immediately!
    "There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"

  42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:


  43. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillb View Post
    Hi.

    I'm was one of those guests lurking for a few days. I must say this is a very puzzling and absorbing case. I have a few things that i can't get to grips with. Like why is there no mention of the Quarry at all? We know the body was left on the grass verge outside the quarry entrance. But when did the quarry close for Christmas. Was there no security, nightwatchmen on such a big site? Someone must have opened the gate only feet away from the body if it was left there weekend 17th. Snow cover or not, I think you would notice a body there.

    Also are the Police only considering the Clifton suspension bridge as the only route taken? Just because it's the quickest way, It doesn't mean it's the only way to Longwood Lane. Someone having just commited a murder doesn't act rationally. Some can think better under pressure than others I guess. But in all honesty anyone living in Bristol would know the Clifton suspension bridge is a notorious suicide spot. You have to stop the car infront of C.C.T.V to pay the toll. Even someone in a mass panic would give that route a very wide berth. We've all seen Crimewatch and the news, everyone is wise to C.C.T.V catching criminals these days.

    If the police are only counting on that route and discounting others. I think there making a big mistake myself. They want to look at the next bridge down, the Avon bridge route in my opinion.
    The quarry may have packed up early for Xmas in view of the bad weather - I imagine snow interferes with the quarrying process.

  44. The Following User Says Thank You to Slewth For This Useful Post:


  45. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanic, sorta
    Posts
    22,677
    Total CCTV cameras on the Clifton Suspension Bridge:

    Police were today examining footage from Clifton Suspension Bridge's 32 CCTV cameras to trace the final journey of Miss Yeates who was found dead on Christmas Day.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-killer.html
    That certainly would convince me to consider an alternate route, based on the circumstances.

  46. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. UK - Joanna Yeates, Clifton, Bristol, 17 December 2010 - #2
    By wfgodot in forum Currently Awaiting Trial
    Replies: 508
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 03:26 PM
  2. UK - Architect: Jo Yeates, 27, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 - #1
    By wfgodot in forum Currently Awaiting Trial
    Replies: 541
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 10:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •