GUILTY Australia - Andrew, 45, Rose, 44, & Chantelle Rowe, 16, slain, Kapunda, 8 Nov 2010 #6

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
PLEASE READ AND THANK THIS POST BEFORE POSTING IN THE THREAD.

Please continue here.

Salem

Social Networks & Rumors
(original post from Mod Imamaze)

Regarding social networks

Regarding facebook,twitter, and myspace you can link but do not cut and paste. But the goal is to really only link to those that are directly linked to a case. WE ARE LIMITED IN THIS CASE BY THE SUPPRESSION ORDER.

IOW, we don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman , or postal carrier just because they know the main player. It just gets too invasive and half the time we are not even sure it is the right person. When a post starts out with: "I found 5 people with this name do you you think any of these are [insert person here]?" that is not a good thing.

It will often be up to mod discretion as to who can and cannot be linked, but the general rule of thumb is if they are named in the media specifically as having some role or are being questioned or have information then you are probably safe to link. No screen caps and no cutting and pasting. If a social media is set to private and you get in the back way and post what you see, that is not a good thing! Private means private. Just imagine if is you if you cannot decide and you shoulod be able to figure out if it is ok.

You are free to discuss what you may come upon, but if it is just a lot of gossip and rumor it won't fly. People open facebook accounts and post whatever they want and to carry that as some sort of inside info is careless. But, sometimes there is really valuable information that may even come into evidence as in the Caylee Anthony case. So, if you know for a fact it is the right person and they are named outright in the msm as someone linked to the case it should be fine. IF IT IS A MINOR DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!

If something was posted as public and then removed you might be able to post it, it is up to the mod of the forum and it depends on who, what, when and where.

The mods are listed at the bottom right of the forum under the index, they can generally help. If not, they will ask admin for guidance and we will all decide what is best.

Generally we try not to invade everyone's privacy and if the linked information has no bearing on anything, then leave it out.

We moderate here. Some people love it and some people hate it. Up to you to stay or go, choice is yours. Complaining about our rules doesn't help. if you have a suggestion or think of a better way, bring it on by pm'ing one of the mods! We are far from perfect and welcome your input as long as it is civil and basically polite.

Rumors are not allowed! If you have questions please PM a Mod, we will be happy to help. Lets keep the threads dedicated to Chantelle and her parents. Thank you.

Important links to read if new to Websleuths or if you haven't read lately:

Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Terms of Service Terms of Service - Short, Plain Language Version - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Terms of Service Terms of Service - Short, Plain Language Version - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Terms of Service Terms of Service - Long, Detailed Version - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Terms of Service Terms of Service - Long, Detailed Version - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Forum Finesse - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Forum Finesse - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thread 5

Thread 4

Thread 3

Thread 2

Thread 1

Thanks,

Salem

We have some special rules for this particular case based on the laws in Australia. If the article names the accused and the suppression order has not been lifted, then you may not post the link. However, if the accused is not named OR if the suppression order has been lifted (you need to link to this information) then you can post the link.

Questions about moderating and/or rules should be sent to any moderator via pm and not posted in the main threads as it disrupts the flow of discussion.

ALSO - we have lots of new posters here. Please make yourselves familiar with our Terms of Services, Rules and threadequitte here: The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Let any of the mods know if you need assistance with the rules or if you have other questions, by sending them a pm.

Salem

We ask that you refrain from using the alleged suspects name and please do not post any of his pictures.

It has come to our attention that the judge has suppressed parts of the evidence, including the alleged suspect's name. Although we are not in Australia and not obligated to their jursidiction, we are a crime forum and our mission is to help bring justice to victims. Therefore, we feel we should go by the judge's orders.

ALSO - do not link to social networking sites AT ALL
-do not link to ANY site where the alleged suspect's name might be used.
- No Screen caps.
More: Please supply links to any media reports you are posting. Remember, we can only post 10% of the article and MUST link.
Pictures from other sites ( except for the alleged suspect) may be copied here, but you MUST supply a link to the original source of the picture.

Originally posted by Kelpie
wonder if any SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) came into play. That could explain a lot.

Just out of interest, how could SSRI's "come into play"?

Just out of interest, how could SSRI's "come into play"?

There have been many reports of homicide and suicide, as well as extremely violent acts which have been linked to the use of SSRI medications. People have told of being in a dream like state and acting out their most violent nightmares. I'm not saying the accused was on any of these medications, but it may be something the defense could use if he were. If you Google "homicides SSRI" you can read about some of the cases. Not an answer as such, just something else to put in the hat of possibilities.

Still nothing new in this case??? Thats weird

There have been many reports of homicide and suicide, as well as extremely violent acts which have been linked to the use of SSRI medications. People have told of being in a dream like state and acting out their most violent nightmares. I'm not saying the accused was on any of these medications, but it may be something the defense could use if he were. If you Google "homicides SSRI" you can read about some of the cases. Not an answer as such, just something else to put in the hat of possibilities.

Has there ever been a case won by using that defense?

I dont have time to google right now so thought you may know.

I know they hinted at that in the Sarah Johnson case and used it in the Chris Pittman case but the defense could never prove it caused them to murder. Both of them calculated and planned their murders out carefully and with aforethought.

Sarah got LWOP and Chris Pittman got 30 years.

IMO

Has there ever been a case won by using that defense?

I dont have time to google right now so thought you may know.

I know they hinted at that in the Sarah Johnson case and used it in the Chris Pittman case but the defense could never prove it caused them to murder. Both of them calculated and planned their murders out carefully and with aforethought.

Sarah got LWOP and Chris Pittman got 30 years.

IMO

Tobin v SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals - Donald Schell shot and killed his wife, daughter, nine month old granddaughter and then himself. A jury ruled that taking Paxil was the proximate cause of the deaths and that SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals were 80% responsible for the deaths and Schell was 20% responsible. The company were ordered to pay $6.4 million to relatives of Mr Schell. Not a "total" win as such, the accused may have gotten some sort of sentence had he survived. There are many more similar ongoing cases and I suspect the argument for SSRI medications playing a part in such cases will be around for some time. IMO.

If you wish to read some more about SSRI stories there are LOTS to choose from at : http://www.ssristories.com/index.php :coffeews:

Still nothing new in this case??? Thats weird

I don't think there is any court action until early February. I can't remember the exact at the moment. We probably won't hear anything until the Court does something.

Salem

Two weeks until February.

A sentence from 'The Australian' newspaper of 17th November 2010 - the day the accused was charged and remanded -
"The man will next appear before the court on February 2 next year via videolink".

Hi everyone just thought i would post here so i can keep a trrack of things and find this thread again. Not long to go now Feb 2 or 4?

Anyone able to go to the court?

I am so curious about his case, can't wait to hear the motive... why did this happen?

Tobin v SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals - Donald Schell shot and killed his wife, daughter, nine month old granddaughter and then himself. A jury ruled that taking Paxil was the proximate cause of the deaths and that SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals were 80% responsible for the deaths and Schell was 20% responsible. The company were ordered to pay $6.4 million to relatives of Mr Schell. Not a "total" win as such, the accused may have gotten some sort of sentence had he survived. There are many more similar ongoing cases and I suspect the argument for SSRI medications playing a part in such cases will be around for some time. IMO.

If you wish to read some more about SSRI stories there are LOTS to choose from at : http://www.ssristories.com/index.php :coffeews:

Thank you for the information.

While I had already thought possibly civil lawsuits had been won since the civil burden of proof is much lower than the criminal standard, when the civil jury only has to believe that by the preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not) the defendant(s) are guilty.

But I have never heard of this defense being a viable one in a criminal case. I know it has been tried but I am unaware that any were successful but I may have missed them.

Even people who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia and other mental disorders are held fully accountable in a criminal court.

IMO

I too don't believe the accused went there with the intention of murdering 3 people, I also don't believe he went there drugged (as there has been mention that this seems unlikely) or angry. Drunk perhaps, but could a drunk teen commit such brutal crimes?

Sniffer wrote : (in the last thread) I don't believe he went there angry, as the person who dropped him of would have sensed/known this and one would imagine have alerted police imediately. Some have suggested that maybe the police had him in their sights from early on, but I doubt that if the driver told them he had dropped him off their angry and he had cuts on his arms (as has been stated but only as rumour), they would simply let him go and wait for Dna evidence.

I just got confirmation from a friend of his that he DID have cuts on his arms and his arms were bandaged.

It is 2nd February tomorrow. The accused in this case is listed as 'suppressed' with initials only, for a Video Conference tomorrow at Elizabeth Magistrates Court.
He will be remanded to another date after the conference, presumably. It is really just a formality, however it will be interesting to see if the media follows this and if there is any mention of bail.

It is 2nd February tomorrow. The accused in this case is listed as 'suppressed' with initials only, for a Video Conference tomorrow at Elizabeth Magistrates Court.
He will be remanded to another date after the conference, presumably. It is really just a formality, however it will be interesting to see if the media follows this and if there is any mention of bail.

I really do hope the media gives us SOMETHING tomorrow, we have been waiting so long.
I walk past Mag. court in Melbourne everyday and you can tell when there's a big case on, media all over the place very early in the morning, I'd love to see even a little something in the paper tomorrow.. this case is intriguing indeed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back