1268 users online (235 members and 1033 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Australia - Andrew, 45, Rose, 44, & Chantelle Rowe, 16, slain, Kapunda, 8 Nov 2010 #6

PLEASE READ AND THANK THIS POST BEFORE POSTING IN THE THREAD.

Please continue here.

Salem

Social Networks & Rumors
    (original post from Mod Imamaze)

Regarding social networks

Regarding facebook,twitter, and myspace you can link but do not cut and paste. But the goal is to really only link to those that are directly linked to a case. WE ARE LIMITED IN THIS CASE BY THE SUPPRESSION ORDER.

IOW, we don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman , or postal carrier just because they know the main player. It just gets too invasive and half the time we are not even sure it is the right person. When a post starts out with: "I found 5 people with this name do you you think any of these are [insert person here]?" that is not a good thing.

It will often be up to mod discretion as to who can and cannot be linked, but the general rule of thumb is if they are named in the media specifically as having some role or are being questioned or have information then you are probably safe to link. No screen caps and no cutting and pasting. If a social media is set to private and you get in the back way and post what you see, that is not a good thing! Private means private. Just imagine if is you if you cannot decide and you shoulod be able to figure out if it is ok.

You are free to discuss what you may come upon, but if it is just a lot of gossip and rumor it won't fly. People open facebook accounts and post whatever they want and to carry that as some sort of inside info is careless. But, sometimes there is really valuable information that may even come into evidence as in the Caylee Anthony case. So, if you know for a fact it is the right person and they are named outright in the msm as someone linked to the case it should be fine. IF IT IS A MINOR DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!

If something was posted as public and then removed you might be able to post it, it is up to the mod of the forum and it depends on who, what, when and where.

The mods are listed at the bottom right of the forum under the index, they can generally help. If not, they will ask admin for guidance and we will all decide what is best.

Generally we try not to invade everyone's privacy and if the linked information has no bearing on anything, then leave it out.

We moderate here. Some people love it and some people hate it. Up to you to stay or go, choice is yours. Complaining about our rules doesn't help. if you have a suggestion or think of a better way, bring it on by pm'ing one of the mods! We are far from perfect and welcome your input as long as it is civil and basically polite.

Rumors are not allowed! If you have questions please PM a Mod, we will be happy to help. Lets keep the threads dedicated to Chantelle and her parents. Thank you.

Important links to read if new to Websleuths or if you haven't read lately:

Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Terms of Service Terms of Service - Short, Plain Language Version - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Terms of Service Terms of Service - Short, Plain Language Version - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Terms of Service Terms of Service - Long, Detailed Version - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Terms of Service Terms of Service - Long, Detailed Version - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Forum Finesse - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Forum Finesse - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thread 5

Thread 4

Thread 3

Thread 2

Thread 1

Thanks,

Salem

Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    We have some special rules for this particular case based on the laws in Australia. If the article names the accused and the suppression order has not been lifted, then you may not post the link. However, if the accused is not named OR if the suppression order has been lifted (you need to link to this information) then you can post the link.

Questions about moderating and/or rules should be sent to any moderator via pm and not posted in the main threads as it disrupts the flow of discussion.

ALSO - we have lots of new posters here. Please make yourselves familiar with our Terms of Services, Rules and threadequitte here: The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Let any of the mods know if you need assistance with the rules or if you have other questions, by sending them a pm.

Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    We ask that you refrain from using the alleged suspects name and please do not post any of his pictures.

It has come to our attention that the judge has suppressed parts of the evidence, including the alleged suspect's name. Although we are not in Australia and not obligated to their jursidiction, we are a crime forum and our mission is to help bring justice to victims. Therefore, we feel we should go by the judge's orders.

ALSO - do not link to social networking sites AT ALL
    -do not link to ANY site where the alleged suspect's name might be used.
    - No Screen caps.
    More: Please supply links to any media reports you are posting. Remember, we can only post 10% of the article and MUST link.
    Pictures from other sites ( except for the alleged suspect) may be copied here, but you MUST supply a link to the original source of the picture.
    Last edited by KateB; 05-16-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Originally posted by Kelpie
    wonder if any SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) came into play. That could explain a lot.
    Just out of interest, how could SSRI's "come into play"?

Quote Originally Posted by EveD View Post
    Just out of interest, how could SSRI's "come into play"?
    There have been many reports of homicide and suicide, as well as extremely violent acts which have been linked to the use of SSRI medications. People have told of being in a dream like state and acting out their most violent nightmares. I'm not saying the accused was on any of these medications, but it may be something the defense could use if he were. If you Google "homicides SSRI" you can read about some of the cases. Not an answer as such, just something else to put in the hat of possibilities.

Still nothing new in this case??? Thats weird

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    There have been many reports of homicide and suicide, as well as extremely violent acts which have been linked to the use of SSRI medications. People have told of being in a dream like state and acting out their most violent nightmares. I'm not saying the accused was on any of these medications, but it may be something the defense could use if he were. If you Google "homicides SSRI" you can read about some of the cases. Not an answer as such, just something else to put in the hat of possibilities.
    Has there ever been a case won by using that defense?

I dont have time to google right now so thought you may know.

I know they hinted at that in the Sarah Johnson case and used it in the Chris Pittman case but the defense could never prove it caused them to murder. Both of them calculated and planned their murders out carefully and with aforethought.

Sarah got LWOP and Chris Pittman got 30 years.

IMO
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
    Has there ever been a case won by using that defense?

I dont have time to google right now so thought you may know.

I know they hinted at that in the Sarah Johnson case and used it in the Chris Pittman case but the defense could never prove it caused them to murder. Both of them calculated and planned their murders out carefully and with aforethought.

Sarah got LWOP and Chris Pittman got 30 years.

IMO
    Tobin v SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals - Donald Schell shot and killed his wife, daughter, nine month old granddaughter and then himself. A jury ruled that taking Paxil was the proximate cause of the deaths and that SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals were 80% responsible for the deaths and Schell was 20% responsible. The company were ordered to pay $6.4 million to relatives of Mr Schell. Not a "total" win as such, the accused may have gotten some sort of sentence had he survived. There are many more similar ongoing cases and I suspect the argument for SSRI medications playing a part in such cases will be around for some time. IMO.

If you wish to read some more about SSRI stories there are LOTS to choose from at : http://www.ssristories.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Laddsy View Post
    Still nothing new in this case??? Thats weird
    I don't think there is any court action until early February. I can't remember the exact at the moment. We probably won't hear anything until the Court does something.

Salem

Is it February yet?

Two weeks until February.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuskier View Post
    Two weeks until February.

A sentence from 'The Australian' newspaper of 17th November 2010 - the day the accused was charged and remanded -
    "The man will next appear before the court on February 2 next year via videolink".

nothing until february 4th when the court date is

Quote Originally Posted by Benny08 View Post
    Is it February yet?
    I have been thinking the EXACT same thing :-)!!

I need to know what happened!! But it's going to be a long long time before we know anything close to the full story
    I just don't feel I was born to walk in line..

Hi everyone just thought i would post here so i can keep a trrack of things and find this thread again. Not long to go now Feb 2 or 4?

Anyone able to go to the court?

I am so curious about his case, can't wait to hear the motive... why did this happen?

Do things in the courts move more quickly in Australia than here in the U.S.? Because if it's anything like here it may be a long time before a trial even happens.

Here's a case I've been following for nearly FIVE years.. Three family members found dead in Northridge - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Hasn't even gone to trial yet.
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 05-19-2015 at 12:36 AM. Reason: broken link

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast