Mexico - 27 killed/14 decapitated in less than a day in Acapulco

Missizzy

Reaction score
I guess the supposed truce only holds for Ciudad Juarez. This frightens me as I just read of yet another local couple headed to Acapulco for their honeymoon. My daughter even has tickets to the city next month, to visit college friends who own a house there. I can't wrap my mind around the terror experienced on a daily basis by the law-abiding citizens. How do you go to the store, to church, send your children to school? It must be constant unmitigated fear.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110109...jA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawMyN2RlYXRoc2luY2w-

27 deaths, including 14 decapitated, rock Acapulco

"The image of this beach mecca has taken a new hit from Mexico's drug violence, with 27 people killed in less than a day, including 14 men whose bodies were found with their heads chopped off at a shopping center.

Acapulco has seen fierce turf wars between drug gangs, and the bloodshed is scaring some vacationers away even though little of the violence happens in tourist areas.

The decapitation slayings and most of the other killings that occurred in a stretch of just a few hours from Friday night into Saturday also occurred in non-tourism areas. But two police officers were shot to death on a major bayside avenue in front of visitors and locals...."

more at link

I wish Mexico didn't have to be so dangerous to visit...I used to love going there, and always found the people friendly & fun to talk to.

I can't imagine what it's like to live there - so many people being murdered or 'disappeared'.

I was on this earlier today. Sorry but the shootings took over. This needs to be followed. Thanks. xoxoxoxox

I'm originally from San Diego and used to go to Mexico all the time for the day or weekend (obviously Acapulco is much further south) and it was relatively safe (you had to use common sense and still do). However, you couldn't pay me to go there now (any part of Mexico). Even when we went south to the resorts (like Puerto Vallarta) we'd stay at an all-inclusive but would still go out to the town to experience a little of the local life. I wouldn't even go to a resort now, even though I think most of the deaths have been attributed to gov't officials and drug cartels.

To the poster who has a friend who is going to Acapulco to stay at a friend's house - there's NO way I would do that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back