Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow devastates Atlanta in 2011

Snow devastates Atlanta in 2011

How about this first a White Christmas now the New Year comes in with a bang. Atlanta has received another devastating snow storm up to 5" and counting. Roads already are backing up and it is advised that everybody stay home tomorrow (Monday). Check to see if your classes or work will be open. Of course when you have bills to pay this is not an option. Read story below. Please submit your story or pictures. I'm in Douglas County and already have 6 inches.

http://straightfromthea.com/2011/01/...1-in-pictures/
    Last edited by legalmania; 01-10-2011 at 03:40 AM.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to legalmania For This Useful Post:

Very pretty pictures of the snow. Better tell the city they should buy plenty of snow removal equipment because I was listening to a meterologist who predicted the heavy snow in the states this year and says it will keep coming for the rest of the decade. Not a global warming fan he says he bases his predictions on the sun positions.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WmHersey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WmHersey View Post
    Very pretty pictures of the snow. Better tell the city they should buy plenty of snow removal equipment because I was listening to a meterologist who predicted the heavy snow in the states this year and says it will keep coming for the rest of the decade. Not a global warming fan he says he bases his predictions on the sun positions.
    I'm glad you brought that up "Global Warming is temporarily on hold".
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to legalmania For This Useful Post:

Has anyone ever done this before?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iudRPyX4934[/ame]

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iudRPyX4934?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iudRPyX4934?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to noZme For This Useful Post:

We broke out the kayak!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuY0yq7nj5Y[/ame]
    "Life's splendor forever lies in wait about each one of us in all its fullness, but veiled from view, deep down, invisible, far off. It is there, though, not hostile, not reluctant, not deaf. If you summon it by the right word, by its right name, it will come."
    - Kafka
    "Know the right moment."

What I type here is mostly my opinion.
    I really don't care if my opinions offend.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Evan's Mom For This Useful Post:

What a great off season use for a kayak... looks fun...kids are having a ball! Slushy snow looks wet & cold... hope there was hot cocoa waiting indoors to thaw ya'll out.

Once we took the fins off water skis, hooked the ropes to the jeep & "snow skied" across a pasture. Ya gotta be creative with sports equipment.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to noZme For This Useful Post:

What is not so fun are my friends in Marietta that need to get into their office to run credit card payments from clients so that they can make payroll!!! They may not get paid this week unless they can get through the ice and snow, ugh.
    Disclaimer: while I have graduated law school and hold a JD, I am not yet licensed to practice. Therefore, if I say anything which could possibly be considered legal advice, or if I explain anything related to legal matters, rules of evidence, legal procedures, or anything related to law, please be aware that I do not yet hold a bar card and we have no attorney/client relationship. Please always, always talk to a personal attorney, and follow their directions. Please also follow the TOS in regards to all unverified posters. Thank you!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ziggy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    What is not so fun are my friends in Marietta that need to get into their office to run credit card payments from clients so that they can make payroll!!! They may not get paid this week unless they can get through the ice and snow, ugh.

We are in Marietta too, and we are completely snowed/iced in. School won't start back up until Tuesday. I'm loving our snowcation, but sorry your friend is sweating business stuff!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:

Greetings from Ball Ground, Ga! We got nearly 9 inches here.
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to georgiagirl For This Useful Post:

NE, GA here...got about 3-4 inches. My hubs went back to work today for the 1st time..
    Still lots of snow and ice here though.

I lived in the Atlanta area for a few years -- I believe it was 1980 to 1983. One year we had a bad snowstorm, at least bad for the southern U.S. It was only 6 inches or so, but it paralyzed the city. I worked at Davison's Dept. store (now Macy's) in downtown Atlanta and lived just past the Perimeter Highway in Marietta and it took my friends and I approx. 8 hours to drive home. Some employees walked miles to get home, others slept in the furniture and bedding departments of the store.

Snowstorms can be very dangerous in areas that don't see a lot of snow. People may not know how to drive in the snow (as we drove through the city to get to the interstate, there was an accident at every intersection) and their cars are not equipped for ice and snow (no snow tires). I vividly remember seeing trucks and cars pulled off on the side of the interstate, some having slid into ditches, and hearing many ambulance and police sirens in the distance. It was pretty scary!

Hope everyone stays safe and warm!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Penelope For This Useful Post:

Here is a good article explaining the weather patterns

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/13...eather/?hpt=C2

School cancelled until next Tuesday (MLK Monday was already a holiday) here in Cobb and all other central and north metro counties. The kids got a 10 day break!

Roads are still scary and it's going down into the teens tonight...but up to 40 and sunny tomorrow, so a big melt is expected! As a Southern girl, I adore a big winter storm that shuts every thing down, but I am sure ready to get the kids back to school and DH back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    School cancelled until next Tuesday (MLK Monday was already a holiday) here in Cobb and all other central and north metro counties. The kids got a 10 day break!

Roads are still scary and it's going down into the teens tonight...but up to 40 and sunny tomorrow, so a big melt is expected! As a Southern girl, I adore a big winter storm that shuts every thing down, but I am sure ready to get the kids back to school and DH back to work!
    Same here in Cherokee.

School canceled until next Tuesday (MLK Monday was already a holiday) here in Cobb and all other central and north metro counties. The kids got a 10 day break!

One of our daughters and her family lives NW of Atlanta in Paulding County.

They always come down the day after Christmas.

Didn't get to come because of the snow. They were coming the following Wednesday and then we had a death of a loved one on Christmas Day and funeral was held on Wednesday so they didn't get to come.

Then they made plans to come this past weekend. Didn't get to come because of all the snow and ice.

Hopefully (fingers crossed)........the snow will hold off this time and they will be coming this coming weekend.

LOL We will still be celebrating Christmas on January 15th.

IMO
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

Hey neighbors!!! I am here on the Georgia/South Carolina border near Augusta, GA. We only had about 3 inches at my house, but that is AMAZING for us!!! We are still on a 2-hour delay for the start of school tomorrow because the snow/ice that has managed to melt during the day is now freezing again tonight. Going down to about 18 degrees or so. My back yard looks like a skating rink and I want SO bad to be outside in shorts and a tank top grilling burgers and planning on laying on the trampoline at midnight, sipping whiskey and looking for shooting stars! That dream is not coming true for a while!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reannan For This Useful Post:

Hi ho - it's starting to melt!!!! Praise the Lord!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:

Hi ho - it's starting to melt!!!! Praise the Lord!
    Hang in there southcitymom! Yes, Praise the Lord the temps are moderating here in NC this weekend. High temps in the 50's

wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

32. The Following User Says Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by waltzingmatilda View Post
    Hang in there southcitymom! Yes, Praise the Lord the temps are moderating here in NC this weekend. High temps in the 50's

wm
    Not in the mountains
    About the time we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. Herbert Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by tiredblondy View Post
    Not in the mountains

I know!!!

Same up here in the mountains in White County....just got out today and drove to Helen. Nice drive..anything in the shade is still covered in 6 inches of snow and an inch of ice...finally got the driveway shoveled today and the neighbor plowed the road..Woohoo

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stilettos For This Useful Post:

Another Snow Advisory for GA, Atlanta

There is a snow advisory out for the people of Atlanta. Stay Home!!

http://www.weather.com/weather/alert...ite=wx.com-bar

38. The Following User Says Thank You to legalmania For This Useful Post:

byo

Quote Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
    There is a snow advisory out for the people of Atlanta. Stay Home!!

http://www.weather.com/weather/alert...ite=wx.com-bar
    Whaaat?? Again?? Really? But I live in the South!!

LOL, georgiagirl! I live in Northeast Louisiana and anywhere from 2 to 6 inches of snow is in the forecast! People down here just simply cannot drive in the snow or ice. Even our schools are closing at noon. This little bit of snow would never even cause a ripple anywhere else!
    **May God Watch Over All Missing and Abused Children**

Quote Originally Posted by LaLaw2000 View Post
    LOL, georgiagirl! I live in Northeast Louisiana and anywhere from 2 to 6 inches of snow is in the forecast! People down here just simply cannot drive in the snow or ice. Even our schools are closing at noon. This little bit of snow would never even cause a ripple anywhere else!
    Agreed! That is how it is here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast