Snow devastates Atlanta in 2011

legalmania

Verified Paralegal
Reaction score
Website
www.websleuths.com
How about this first a White Christmas now the New Year comes in with a bang. Atlanta has received another devastating snow storm up to 5" and counting. Roads already are backing up and it is advised that everybody stay home tomorrow (Monday). Check to see if your classes or work will be open. Of course when you have bills to pay this is not an option. Read story below. Please submit your story or pictures. I'm in Douglas County and already have 6 inches.

http://straightfromthea.com/2011/01/10/all-white-everything-atlanta-snow-2011-in-pictures/

Very pretty pictures of the snow. Better tell the city they should buy plenty of snow removal equipment because I was listening to a meterologist who predicted the heavy snow in the states this year and says it will keep coming for the rest of the decade. Not a global warming fan he says he bases his predictions on the sun positions.

Very pretty pictures of the snow. Better tell the city they should buy plenty of snow removal equipment because I was listening to a meterologist who predicted the heavy snow in the states this year and says it will keep coming for the rest of the decade. Not a global warming fan he says he bases his predictions on the sun positions.

I'm glad you brought that up "Global Warming is temporarily on hold".

Has anyone ever done this before?

[video=youtube;iudRPyX4934]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iudRPyX4934[/video]

We broke out the kayak!

[video=youtube;WuY0yq7nj5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuY0yq7nj5Y[/video]

What a great off season use for a kayak... looks fun...kids are having a ball! Slushy snow looks wet & cold... hope there was hot cocoa waiting indoors to thaw ya'll out.

Once we took the fins off water skis, hooked the ropes to the jeep & "snow skied" across a pasture. Ya gotta be creative with sports equipment.

What is not so fun are my friends in Marietta that need to get into their office to run credit card payments from clients so that they can make payroll!!! They may not get paid this week unless they can get through the ice and snow, ugh.

What is not so fun are my friends in Marietta that need to get into their office to run credit card payments from clients so that they can make payroll!!! They may not get paid this week unless they can get through the ice and snow, ugh.

We are in Marietta too, and we are completely snowed/iced in. School won't start back up until Tuesday. I'm loving our snowcation, but sorry your friend is sweating business stuff!

Greetings from Ball Ground, Ga! We got nearly 9 inches here.

NE, GA here...got about 3-4 inches. My hubs went back to work today for the 1st time..
Still lots of snow and ice here though.

I lived in the Atlanta area for a few years -- I believe it was 1980 to 1983. One year we had a bad snowstorm, at least bad for the southern U.S. It was only 6 inches or so, but it paralyzed the city. I worked at Davison's Dept. store (now Macy's) in downtown Atlanta and lived just past the Perimeter Highway in Marietta and it took my friends and I approx. 8 hours to drive home. Some employees walked miles to get home, others slept in the furniture and bedding departments of the store.

Snowstorms can be very dangerous in areas that don't see a lot of snow. People may not know how to drive in the snow (as we drove through the city to get to the interstate, there was an accident at every intersection) and their cars are not equipped for ice and snow (no snow tires). I vividly remember seeing trucks and cars pulled off on the side of the interstate, some having slid into ditches, and hearing many ambulance and police sirens in the distance. It was pretty scary!

Hope everyone stays safe and warm!

School cancelled until next Tuesday (MLK Monday was already a holiday) here in Cobb and all other central and north metro counties. The kids got a 10 day break!

Roads are still scary and it's going down into the teens tonight...but up to 40 and sunny tomorrow, so a big melt is expected! As a Southern girl, I adore a big winter storm that shuts every thing down, but I am sure ready to get the kids back to school and DH back to work! ;)

School cancelled until next Tuesday (MLK Monday was already a holiday) here in Cobb and all other central and north metro counties. The kids got a 10 day break!

Roads are still scary and it's going down into the teens tonight...but up to 40 and sunny tomorrow, so a big melt is expected! As a Southern girl, I adore a big winter storm that shuts every thing down, but I am sure ready to get the kids back to school and DH back to work! ;)

Same here in Cherokee.

School canceled until next Tuesday (MLK Monday was already a holiday) here in Cobb and all other central and north metro counties. The kids got a 10 day break!

One of our daughters and her family lives NW of Atlanta in Paulding County.

They always come down the day after Christmas.

Didn't get to come because of the snow.:banghead: They were coming the following Wednesday and then we had a death of a loved one on Christmas Day and funeral was held on Wednesday so they didn't get to come.

Then they made plans to come this past weekend. Didn't get to come because of all the snow and ice.:banghead:

Hopefully (fingers crossed)........the snow will hold off this time and they will be coming this coming weekend.:great:

LOL We will still be celebrating Christmas on January 15th.

IMO

Hey neighbors!!! :seeya: I am here on the Georgia/South Carolina border near Augusta, GA. We only had about 3 inches at my house, but that is AMAZING for us!!! :great: We are still on a 2-hour delay for the start of school tomorrow because the snow/ice that has managed to melt during the day is now freezing again tonight. Going down to about 18 degrees or so. My back yard looks like a skating rink and I want SO bad to be outside in shorts and a tank top grilling burgers and planning on laying on the trampoline at midnight, sipping whiskey and looking for shooting stars! That dream is not coming true for a while!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back