967 users online (211 members and 756 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Divorce So Bad it Made the Family Judge Flip Out

The Divorce So Bad it Made the Family Judge Flip Out

Spending days ringside to other people's parents bickering and arguing and general dysfunction takes a soul strong of stomach and long on patience, which is why only a hardy few to be a family court judge. But it doesn't mean they're not funny. Either that, or one Canadian justice found an unusual way to vent. Sick of the shenanigans of a couple from, ironically, the honeymoon capital of Niagara, he ruled that the wife should have full custody of their 13-year-old daughter but that the father should only pay $1 (and that's a Canadian dollar) a month in child support. But it was the way he ruled that has everyone talking.

Ontario Superior Court Judge Joseph Quinn's 31-page December decision—which made the local papers and is still doing the rounds of legal circles on the internet—is filled with the kind of black humor and derision one would imagine is usually kept for close be-robed colleagues only. He chided the couple for "marinating in a mutual hatred so intense as to surely amount to a personality disorder," and said the chances of amicable resolution were "laughable." The wife had poisoned their daughter "irreparably" against the father who, the judge admitted, had "a near-empty parenting tool box."

Quinn mocked the couple's habit of sending abusive, vulgarity-laced texts to each other and their inability to be civil at their children's sporting events. On one occasion apparently, Catherine, the wife, had tried to run Larry over with her car — "always a telltale sign that a husband and wife are drifting apart," the judge noted.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Poor Little Girl.

Failed by her Parents. Then failed by this Judge. I guess everyone has to have the last say at her expense?

Ugh. I read through the entire decision (I won't post a link here, since full names are named, including kids--but if you really want to read it, it's not hard to find with a quick google search). I practiced family law, as an attorney and Guardian ad Litem, for over 6 years, and left because it was too stressful...cases like this one are the exception and not the rule, but when they happen, They. Are. Horrid.

I feel for the poor judge: it would be great if you could issue orders like, "Don't be a jerk, put your bad feelings for your ex aside, be the adult and behave in a manner that's best for your kids," and then enforce it...but sometimes, it's just not possible. I don't blame the judge for his tone one bit. It's extremely frustrating to have grown parents acting like kindergartners and to not be able to reach them; sometimes you have to give snark a try, as a last resort. Thanks for the reminder of why I'm glad to have left family law behind!

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    psst ... the U.S.& Cdn. dollars have been at par for quite some time

I'm glad the judge let loose

there's far too many emotionally stunted people in the world getting married & worse, having kids

now, what are the chances those kids will have a successful marriage when they grow up? slim to none IMO because their parents modelled such immature behaviour for them

LOL!!! I am SO putting this in my siggy line. I like this judge.

“A finger is worth a thousand words and therefore, is particularly useful should one have a vocabulary of less than a thousand words,” Judge Quinn added.

Ok, this decision is a MUST read. I wish they had case-studies like this in the textbooks when I was in school.

"In recent years, the evidence in family trials typically includes reams of text messages between the parties, helpfully laying bare their true characters. Assessing credibility is not nearly as difficult as it was before the use of e-mails and text messages became prolific. Parties are not shy about splattering their spleens throughout cyberspace."

Judge Quinn, you are my hero.

I love his ruling, I love his vent. He is my new hero. I wonder if we can clone him?

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post

I love his ruling, I love his vent. He is my new hero. I wonder if we can clone him?
    I wonder if we can persuade him to start posting here?

Betcha those two had to have some of the judge's sarcasm explained to them before they caught all the insults.

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

I personally don't care what the judge thinks of this couple.

I want to know why he thought that this child only deserved to have 1.00 in support from one of the parents?

I don't understand that. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post

I want to know why he thought that this child only deserved to have 1.00 in support from one of the parents?

From my interpretation of the article, the wife has so alienated the daughter from her father that he wouldn't even get visitation rights.

From another article I found, it says the judge "stayed proceedings for four months hoping a resolution may be possible." So perhaps he was trying to open some eyes (and hearts) with his acerbic words.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...=feeds-newsxml

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Thank you MR.

I do hope there is a resolution in this divorce for this young girl.

She deserves to have both parents attention, love and support.

IMHO visitation and financial support are mutally exclusive (and are legally in most areas). Meaning even if child support isn't paid or is in arrears that should be no reason for a child not to see and have a relationship with the financially non-supportive parent.

A child should never be informed or have to concerned with the status of child support, the payment or lack of payment of...

I do understand that this divorce is as acrimonious and caustic as they get, but the bottom line is always the best for the child. The best for any child, unless there is abuse (of any sort) by a parent of that child, is for that child to have a relationship with both parents. To have opportunites that are opened because of having the financial support of 2 parents. JMHO.

Just as aside (and sorry but this story really set me off LOL) I agree that maternal care givers are very important in any child's life but too often IMHO the relationship between a child and a paternal care giver is marginalized and deemed insignificant at times.

Every child, deserves to have the love, support and a relationship with two loving parents. (2 maternal, 2 paternal, or one of each...).

I just had to explain my reaction because I think this child is getting the short end of the stick. JMHO.

Again, sorry for the rant and I hope this child is put first eventually. By all parties, the Mom---the Dad and the peeved Judge. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post

I want to know why this "mother" was given custody after she told her child(ren) they would go to jail for calling their father?

I think the children should be placed with some responsible adults.

Oh... I do agree, $1.00 is not enough to support a child. Maybe the dad didn't have a job? Or maybe the judge thought the mom just wanted custody for the support? (that's a stretch.. I don't know )

More than likely, the judge saw the honest truth of the situation...Dad only wanted her to get at Mom, Mom only wanted her to get at Dad. So, he gave the mother what she wanted, but also gave the father what he wanted... (low support).

He may also have decided that there were no grounds to sever the parental rights of either, but that it was in the interest of the child that they be allowed to seperate fully. If they are getting into it publicly in front of her, then it probably would be better if the parents could completely live seperate lives.

What the judge seems to be showing is the he knows the father will never pay support or ask to see his child anyway, so what's the point? Not a bad outlook if you ask me.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Have read the motion in its entirety and got the following from it (aside from the huge belly laugh that is, I love and adore this Judge, he has a way with the poison pen I envy)

1)mom had affair with dad's best friend and coworker. After discovery of affair and moving out Dad subsequently lost his job (perhaps due to some of the supposed harrasment of coworker/cuckolder) Much he said she said BF said and much harrassment went down by all involved parties.

2)Mom and dad behaved badly. Mom very bad at alienating childrens affections from dad. Daughter now hates him as he is a "d*ckhead" and a "loser". Son wants to see dad but is frustrated with mom and dad's behavior around visitation.

3)Judge basically severed dad from daughter and vice cersa saying that the alienation is too great and best to just let daughter have her way re not having to see/speak with dad. Dad given visitation with son.

4) dad signed a seperation agreement without aid of counsel and lost his butt. signed away his rights to fair division of assets. At the time dumb dad signed this agreement he was unemployed. how anyone thought this man was going to be able to pay $600.00 per month in child support I will never understand.

Judge ruled while dad was dumb to have signed this seperation agreement, he should have known better and would not throw it out.

MOO As far as the dad only having to pay 1 dollar - the wife got everything in that seperation agreement, house (no division of assets, no buying him out, nada), the whole nine went to mom. Add to that mom's campaign to totally alienate dad from his children and I think the judge was spot on. You can't get blood from a turnip and dad, turnip time, hes got nothing.

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast