Scores missing in tsunami-like flood in Australia

Dark Knight

Reaction score
BRISBANE, Australia – Greg Kowald was driving through the center of Toowoomba when a terrifying, tsunami-like wall of water roared through the streets of the northeast Australian city.

Office windows exploded, cars careened into trees and bobbed in the churning brown water like corks. The deluge washed away bridges and sidewalks; people desperately clung to power poles to survive. Before it was over, the flash flood left at least 10 dead and 78 missing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110111/ap_on_re_as/as_australia_flooding

And to make it worse, from postings I was seeing on FB last night, the alert system was down in many areas at the time, leaving people with only the radio and television to alert them, which was already out in many areas....sort of a Catch-22.

Oh my Gosh this is so very sad and tragic. Are they reporting on why the tsunami's occurred? I will go look at the report now. I did know about the unusual and wide spread flooding they had been experiencing, but this is just terrible.

Okay, now I see from the article Dark Knight posted:

But nothing downstream was expected to be as fierce as the flash flood that struck Toowoomba on Monday. It was sparked by a freak storm — up to 6 inches (150 millimeters) fell in half an hour.

This is not a tsunami, it is a terrible flood, with periods of flash flooding in some areas. The word tsunami means "harbor wave" in Japanese and refers to ocean waves caused by earthquakes or volcanoes.

Local officials don't do the language any kindness by carelessly choosing what they think is the most dramatic word that refers to water. The flooding has been deadly and destructive enough in its own right.

(ETA I'm not picking on any poster here. I'm referring to use of the word by local officials in Australia. We get it: the flash flooding was so violent, it looked and felt LIKE a tsunami. But that doesn't make it one.)

Did they call it a tsunami or did they describe the wall of water as "tsunami like"?

Did they call it a tsunami or did they describe the wall of water as "tsunami like"?

Both, depending on which article you read. I certainly understand their use of the term "tsunami-like" (particularly given their relative proximity to the Indian Ocean and its deadly tsunami a few years ago). FWIW, that's also how Dark Knight used it--as a point of comparison--in the title of this thread. No argument there.

I'm no doubt making a mountain out of a molehill, but in some areas, it matters very much whether a warning is for a tsunami, flash flood or storm surge, and using the terms interchangeably could lead to dangerous confusion.

Not a perfect analogy, but imagine if public officials started calling tornados hurricanes or Nor'easters. Very different response times for each of those.

The flood's coming... flee for your lives: 40,000 homes in danger as deadly surge heads towards the centre of Brisbane

* 40,000 properties are at risk from floodwater expected to hit Brisbane

* Some areas lying 60 feet under water

* Women and children among 78 still missing

Tens of thousands of people have been told to flee Australia’s third largest city as catastrophic floods loom.

At least 40,000 homes are at risk from the waters expected to hit the centre of Brisbane today and tomorrow.

Floods raging down from the north combined with water released from a dam to prevent it bursting created a huge wave that was surging towards the city of two million people under sheets of drenching rain. Six inches fell in one half-hour period.
---
Much more, with scads of pics at
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...homes-danger-deadly-surge-heads-Brisbane.html

"tsunami-free" (either as adjective or noun) article! (unless I missed something) though the headline
does feature a degree of hyperbole

Both, depending on which article you read. I certainly understand their use of the term "tsunami-like" (particularly given their relative proximity to the Indian Ocean and its deadly tsunami a few years ago). FWIW, that's also how Dark Knight used it--as a point of comparison--in the title of this thread. No argument there.

I'm no doubt making a mountain out of a molehill, but in some areas, it matters very much whether a warning is for a tsunami, flash flood or storm surge, and using the terms interchangeably could lead to dangerous confusion.

Not a perfect analogy, but imagine if public officials started calling tornados hurricanes or Nor'easters. Very different response times for each of those.

Ok, I just thought it was a way it was described. I thought maybe I was reading something wrong.

I saw a bit of this story this morning, but hadn't taken time with it until now.

And WOW. All I have to say is WOW.

My prayers are with them all.

Best-
Herding Cats

Ok, I just thought it was a way it was described. I thought maybe I was reading something wrong.

I read a bunch of links, so I'm not even sure where I read it. I'm sure the speakers meant "tsunami-like." I just think it would be a shame to see that word come to mean any type of flood, because then they'll have to invent--and I'll have to learn!--a new word for tidal waves (there's a vague and inaccurate term) caused by earthquakes and volcanos. :)

What kind of warnings did they have??? This would have been horrifying, and from most things I have read is just unprecedented in terms of how quickly and viciously it happened.

[video=youtube;d8_CZRqqzf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8_CZRqqzf0[/video]

Prayers for those affected!
[video=youtube;cn_g3WMZb8g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn_g3WMZb8g[/video]

Hoping all of our QLD members are safe and sound.((((hugs)))

Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected.The next 48 hours are expected to get worse. At least another metre expected overnight.

Re: Tsunami... It wasn't a Tsunami warning, it was a flood warning (maybe flashflood)....They are just describing it as tsunami-like because the water level reportedly rose by 8 metres (26 ft) in just minutes. The words Inland Tsunami and Tidal wave have also been thrown about in the media.

Regardless of what it's called it's a horrific tragedy. 12 people confirmed dead already. Scores missing.
Yet in the midst of this disaster I am so proud to be an Aussie right now. The level of 'mateship' and selflessness I am seeing over and over on TV is so heartwarming and the epitome of Aussie-ness.

If anybody is thinking of donating to the flood appeal I can provide you with the names of the trusted charities accepting donations.Not sure if I'm allowed to post them here.
Many, many thanks to all those angels around the world who have already donated and who are sending out prayers and positive energy. :clap:

Thank you butwhatif? for explaining the use of the term "tsunami-like' in relation to the Australian flooding in Queensland. It hasn't been claimed that we have suffered a "tsunami", rather the term "tsunami-like" has been coined to describe the many-metres-high wall of flood water that initially hit Toowoomba. Australians are well aware of what a 'tsunami' is, owing to our close proximity and relationship with Indonesia. This is not a seismic event, it is a flood from excessive rain.

To keep the focus on the continuing disaster, here's an update (12.45am here).

Deaths – at this moment 12 confirmed.
Missing – approximately 50.
Estimate of damage – approx $2 billion.

Houses in Grantham have been smashed off their foundations and swept away by the water, some with people inside. The QLD premier, Anna Bligh, has used the word "gruesome" to describe the days ahead as search and rescue enter the devastated areas.

It is expected the peak of water in the QLD capital city of Brisbane will occur at 4am EST which is high tide (ie approx 3 hours from my posting this). The anticipated level of water is approximately 5.2 metres (ie over 17 feet). This is a downgrade from earlier today when they estimated 5.5m. An expected 20,000-30,000 people will be affected. Widespread evacuations of entire suburbs has taken place in Brisbane in preparation for the flood.

Black Hawk, Sea King and Kiowa observation helicopters are conducting aerial reconnaissance looking for survivors and the deceased in affected inland regions.

In addition to humans, the lives of wildlife and farm/domestic animals are in great peril. Some are lucky – such as these kangaroos and wallabies! Something to smile at!

wet-kangaroos-and-wallabys.jpg

(Photo: AP Photo/Lake Burrendong Sport and Recreation Centre, Tracy Woods)

To give you a really clear idea of the speed at which the water is rising as it moves coast-ward, look at this footage from Toowoomba, it is unbelievable. A river rises before your eyes, and in it's path gathers cars which flow downstream like children on boogie boards in the surf! All you can do is laugh ... it's how we're all reacting!

[BTW the guy is NOT letting down his tyres as the girl states, he is manually locking the diff on the 4x4's front wheels!]

[video=youtube;kYUpkPTcqPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY[/video]

To date the money raised by the Premier's Flood Relief Appeal is $35,868,270. If you are interested in donating to this fund (ie the official government-run fund!) then please visit the following Queensland government website page. It also has Emergency Hotline links and Alerts and Update links to the BOM website (Bureau of Meteorology) which are very informative!

http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

Take care QLD!

hoping all of our qld members are safe and sound.((((hugs)))

thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected.the next 48 hours are expected to get worse. At least another metre expected overnight.

Re: Tsunami... It wasn't a tsunami warning, it was a flood warning (maybe flashflood)....they are just describing it as tsunami-like because the water level reportedly rose by 8 metres (26 ft) in just minutes. The words inland tsunami and tidal wave have also been thrown about in the media.

Regardless of what it's called it's a horrific tragedy. 12 people confirmed dead already. Scores missing.
Yet in the midst of this disaster i am so proud to be an aussie right now. The level of 'mateship' and selflessness i am seeing over and over on tv is so heartwarming and the epitome of aussie-ness.

If anybody is thinking of donating to the flood appeal i can provide you with the names of the trusted charities accepting donations.not sure if i'm allowed to post them here.
Many, many thanks to all those angels around the world who have already donated and who are sending out prayers and positive energy. :clap:
stay safe!!!!!

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Australia. I saw some coverage of this disaster on TV yesterday and could see how devastating this flooding is. I do hope and pray that all of our Australian WS members are safe.

One of the many heartbreaking stories to come out of this disaster:

A TEENAGER killed in the Toowoomba flood has been hailed a hero after he told a Good Samaritan to save his younger brother first, minutes before he and his mother were swept away.
Jordan Rice, brother Blake and mother Donna were forced to climb on the roof of their car after they were caught in the flood about 2pm on Monday.

The tragic rescue saw a good Samaritan truck driver save Blake, while Donna tried to grab Jordan, 13, after he became separated from the tree the pair was clinging to.

Ms Rice's devastated partner of about 30 years and father to her four children, John Tyson, said Jordan couldn't swim and was terrified of water.

"(The truck driver) went to grab Jordan first, who said, 'Save me brother'. I can only imagine the fear coursing through his body,'' Mr Tyson, 46, said.

"He won't go down with any fanfare or anything like that - I don't think anyone will even wear a black armband for him - but he's just the champion of all champions, a family hero.''

More @ link:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sp...toowoomba-floods/story-fn7kabp3-1225986169850

You truly are a hero Jordan. Rest peacefully.

I live in a suburb of Brisbane and am only 1 kiolometre away from some of the worst flooding.
This was not able to be predicted as it was a flash flood because of all the heavy rain that fell in such a short time on a lot of Qld that morning. The majority of the state has experienced flooding over the last couple of weeks. It has only been described as 'Tsunami like' in the press here so people could grasp what had happened in Toowoomba. The water from Toowoomba flooded down the range and wiped out small towns. There was so much water that only today(thursday) can emergency services get into these places to see if they can find more survivors or retrieve the dead. Most of the survivors had to be rescued from the roof of their homes by helicopters. Our emergency services personnel are heroes as they have risked their lives every day for weeks moving from town to town as they were needed.
We have 11000 people in our suburbs who are completely flooded and another 15000 who are partially flooded and that is just our QLD Capital city of Brisbane and its suburbs....havent heard numbers for the rest of the state. 75 percent of our state is flood affected.
We are an independent and stubborn mob who learnt in the past that it took so long for anyone to get here that we had to band together and help each other. We appreciate the messages of love and support that have been coming in from all over the world.
Us Queenslanders might be down but we are not out....we will rebuild and life will go on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back