NM NM - James Anthony Sullivan, 35, Santa Rosa, 6 Mar 1975

rosierider

Reaction score
Tags
I recently ran across this fascinating article:
http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2010...llivans-u-f-o/

"In March 1975, Jim mysteriously disappeared outside Santa Rosa, New Mexico. His VW bug was found abandoned, his motel room untouched. Some think he got lost in the desert. Some think he fell foul of a local family with alleged mafia ties. Some think he was abducted by aliens. "

This case is not listed at The Charley Project or The Doe Network and I wonder why?????

What UFO related activity was taking place in March of 1975 that would lead someone to think that Jim Sullivan was abducted by Aliens? Were there any other similar disappearances around that time?

I was unable to open the links provided. Obviously a case of the men in black blocking those sites.

Jim Sullivan's Album (and a GOOD song) was titled UFO. I believe that's the source of the UFO reference.

The link just above your post works for me. If it still doesn't for you, you can Google Jim Sullivan and the article comes up about the 7th link down.

From Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Sullivan_(singer-songwriter)

James Anthony Sullivan (August 13, 1940 – disappeared March 6, 1975) was an American singer-songwriter and guitarist who released two albums before he disappeared without a trace in New Mexico.

Sullivan left Los Angeles on March 4, 1975, to drive to Nashville alone in his Volkswagen Beetle. The next day, after being cautioned by a highway patrol over his driving, he checked into the La Mesa Motel in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. Later reports suggest he did not sleep there, and left his key inside the room, but bought vodka at the town store. He was seen the following day about 26 miles away, at a remote ranch owned by the Gennetti family. His car was later found abandoned at the ranch, and he was reportedly last seen walking away from it. The car contained Sullivan's money, papers, guitar, clothes, and a box of his unsold records.

He was never seen again, and reports have variously attributed his disappearance to being murdered, becoming disoriented and lost, or, particularly in the light of the title of his first album, alien abduction. Search parties failed to find any trace of him. A decomposed body resembling Sullivan was later found in a remote area several miles away, but was determined not to be his.

Links case

http://weekinweird.com/2013/01/27/ufo-case-musician-space/

https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2010/11/10/the-strange-tale-of-jim-sullivans-u-f-o/

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/missing-ufo-singer-songwriter/

Jim Sullivan (singer songwriter)- Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia
Jim Sullivan
jim-sullivan-singer-songwriter-36b524bc-884c-4cdb-9e32-1ed8ab4c090-resize-750.jpeg

Born August 13, 1940 (1940-08-13)
Origin San Diego, California, United States
Died March 6, 1975(1975-03-06) (aged 34) (disappeared) Santa Rosa, New Mexico, U.S.
Occupation(s) Singer, songwriter, guitarist

It is March .. Bumping it's now 44 years and no sign of him!

Last edited:
It appears that no law enforcement agencies are actively investigating this case. You would think nearly 45 years later, someone would want to reopen it. If you Google Earth the region of his disappearance, it is quite the deserted / rural area. Plenty of desert land also if one wanted to bury a body.

Jim went missing in March 1975 after spending a night at a Santa Rosa motel. Last seen on ranch south of Puerto de Luna. What is the name of the motel? Did police investigate his room for any evidence or foul play?

The search efforts at the time seemed pretty extensive . The New Mexico State Police, Mounted Patrol, Guadalupe County Sherrif's Dept, city and state law enforcement officers, and several Boy Scout Troops including local Troop 601, The Alburquerque Volunteer Search and Rescue Team and several local volunteers all assisted. I am curious if any of those agencies still have files pertaining to the search efforts. I expect not though. Police agencies love to "lose" and throw out files of value often.

The Andy Michael and Joseph Gennilti Ranches near Puerto de Luna were also searched. I am curious why police choose this area specifically? Also police said several witnesses saw Jim enroute so I would like to know more about the witnesses and their statements.

Used up my freebies..
Nov 14 2019
Jim Sullivan, a Rock ’n’ Roll Mystery That Remains Stubbornly Unsolved
Jim Sullivan, a Rock ’n’ Roll Mystery That Remains Stubbornly Unsolved

In 1975, the psych-folk musician vanished in Santa Rosa, N.M. A new reissue of his self-titled album only deepens the puzzle of his life and career.

March 10 2017
I used up my freebies too so also can't read it but this article came out around the same time and even quotes the NYT article.

What happened to musician Jim Sullivan near Santa Rosa nearly 45 years ago?

November 21, 2019

Jim-Sullivan-min.jpg

It sounds like something from an enigmatic novel — a praised but obscure singer-songwriter who sang about UFOs vanishes without a trace near the Route 66 town of Santa Rosa, New Mexico, leading to speculation he was picked up by one of those flying saucers he mentioned.

Decades after his disappearance, a record company reissues his albums, and he becomes a cult favorite.

But the story isn’t fiction. It’s real. It’s about music artist Jim Sullivan, whose car and belongings were found south of Santa Rosa in 1975.

Sullivan and his mysterious disappearance recently were featured in the New York Times. The report begins with these two paragraphs:

Jim Sullivan was the kind of California character who seemed to have stepped straight out of a Pynchon or DeLillo novel — a 6-foot-2 singer and songwriter known as Sully with a magnetic personality and a handlebar mustache. His dramatic psych-folk songs were spacious, cinematic and edged with mystic, lonesome brooding. His social circle included actors and Hollywood hangers-on, and he’d had brushes with fame, including an uncredited part in “Easy Rider” with his friend Dennis Hopper.

On his 1969 debut album, “U.F.O.,” he sang of beckoning highways, of aliens, of an Arizona ghost town, of a man who looked “so natural” in death it was clearly his time to go. Six years later, the 35-year-old Sullivan disappeared in Santa Rosa, N.M. On the front seat of his recovered gray VW bug were his ID, his beloved 12-string Guild guitar, and a box of his two albums, “U.F.O.” and the 1972 LP “Jim Sullivan.”

However unique they were, Sullivan’s albums didn’t sell. After a few years in Los Angeles, Sullivan decided he’d try his luck as a songwriter in Nashville. He took off in his VW Bug and told his wife he’d send for her later after he got to Music City.

On March 5, 1975, Barbara Sullivan got a call from Jim, telling her he was all right. She’d had no reason to think otherwise — he’d only left the day before. The conversation continued cryptically. When she pressed for details, he responded, “You wouldn’t believe if I told you,” she wrote. “I said, ‘Jim, what’s the matter, is anything wrong?’ And he said, ‘Forget it. Just forget I said anything. I’ll call you from Nashville.’”

After days went by with no check-in, Sullivan’s family began calling hospitals and the police. An officer told Barbara’s sister that Sullivan wasn’t in jail, “but if you ask me, that’s where he belongs.” They learned that after 15 hours on the road, Sullivan had been pulled over on suspicion of driving under the influence. He passed a sobriety test and checked into the La Mesa Motel in Santa Rosa. Police told Barbara that the bed had never been slept in. On March 8, Sullivan’s car was towed away from rough, mesa-studded country about 24 miles south of town. The 12-string in the front seat was a sign something was very amiss.
“When I heard that, I knew he wasn’t coming back,” Dobbs said. “No matter what, Jim would never have left his guitar.”

No trace of Sullivan ever was found. The remains of a body were found later near Santa Rosa, but they weren’t Sullivan’s. The musician’s wife, who died in 2016, speculated he was abducted by the extraterrestrial aliens he’d written about in his songs.

Light In The Attic Records, which reissued Sullivan’s albums many years later, produced this short documentary about his life:

People who knew Sullivan insist he wasn’t suicidal. Some speculate he was murdered, maybe in some sort of drug deal gone bad. Others think he simply wandered off into the remote New Mexico desert during a fugue state and died there.

The latter scenario isn’t pleasant to think about, but the desert contains enough scavenger animals such as coyotes and buzzards that little trace of his remains would be easily found.

People occasionally ask for Sullivan’s old room at the La Mesa Motel along Route 66 in Santa Rosa, but it’s now used only for storage.

The only things that survive of Sullivan are a son and his music.

What happened to musician Jim Sullivan near Santa Rosa 45 years ago?

Bumping.

So, according to John Lordan's video Jim cannot be entered into NamUs and such beacuse there is no missing persons record and police say there never has been.
Without NamUs there is no DNA and with no DNA there is no way of finding out if he might be a John Doe in the database.

So, according to John Lordan's video Jim cannot be entered into NamUs and such beacuse there is no missing persons record and police say there never has been.

So what did they call the searching of 2 different ranches, a motel, towing his car which contained his most prized possessions, etc, if not looking for a missing person?

So what did they call the searching of 2 different ranches, a motel, towing his car which contained his most prized possessions, etc, if not looking for a missing person?
No idea. The person inquiring about the MP case was a NamUs representative, so i don't know if they would lie to them but maybe the case was lost/destroyed and now they think there never was one.

Added to NamUs 9/20/23.

Thank you!
1695676803173.png
''NamUs #MP108617James "Jim" Sullivan, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactMarch 6, 1975
Missing FromSanta Rosa, New Mexico
Missing Age34 Years
Current Age83 Years

SexMale
Height6' 3" (75 Inches)
Weight180 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian''