793 users online (87 members and 706 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 108 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Legal Questions for Our VERIFIED Lawyers #2

Last edited by beach; 09-21-2015 at 04:49 PM.

What do our legal analysts think about the letter CM wrote to Mr. Ashton? Will it help, will it hurt? I am sure you will share your opinions with us as soon as you stop laughing and giggling.
    Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.
    Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by Macushla View Post
    What do our legal analysts think about the letter CM wrote to Mr. Ashton? Will it help, will it hurt? I am sure you will share your opinions with us as soon as you stop laughing and giggling.
    Along the same line---Is it really up to the SA to determine if to cash it or not?---Thanks
    jmo

Can the defense try to plea out at the last minutes after spending all that JAC money?

Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.

Are witnesses listed allowed to disclose they received their subpoena's to testify?
    My posts are my opinion only. Praying for Justice for Caylee Marie!
    The Florida Bar summed up the problem regarding Mr. Baez.
    "His overall behavior, they wrote, showed "a total lack of respect for the rights of others and a total lack of respect for the legal system, which is absolutely inconsistent with the character and fitness qualities required of those seeking to be afforded the highest position of trust and confidence recognized by our system of law." (Thank you to TWA) Read their opinion here: http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d...ps/sc95855.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Macushla View Post
    Help or hurt what? It certainly hurts JB's reputation, assuming there's anything left to hurt. Basically it says, "Please excuse JB for his behavior. He is an idiot, as you know, but I hope he will grow up one day."

Quote Originally Posted by zoey View Post
    Along the same line---Is it really up to the SA to determine if to cash it or not?---Thanks
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by drip~drop View Post
    Can the defense try to plea out at the last minutes after spending all that JAC money?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by nums24 View Post
    Are witnesses listed allowed to disclose they received their subpoena's to testify?
    Yes, unless the judge says no!

"It would seem to me that June 16, 2008 was the last time that the victim was viewed by her grandparents. It became quite evident that from the OS of the Defense that the 16th was a date of great importance and that a so called time line of activities dealing with CA, LA, GA and ICA on the 16th and what, if any, activities took place on the 15th, 16th and 17th of June on 24 hour cycles would have been, at least, of a minimal requirement of review. I take it at some point you had a computer expert look at that data?" HHJP, 6/21/11
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...139910&page=94

Hey AZ!

Can you explain in laymans term what a plea deal is? I don't understand what this means? What does it mean for a trial, for the future of the defendant, for justice? I'm a green newb. TIA!!
    and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts. - Emily Perl Kingsley

My Heart is always with you Caylee Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Ssejors View Post
    Hey AZ!

Can you explain in laymans term what a plea deal is? I don't understand what this means? What does it mean for a trial, for the future of the defendant, for justice? I'm a green newb. TIA!!
    A plea deal means that the defendant and the State agree on which charges the defendant will plead guilty to and what the appropriate sentence will be (subject to the approval of the judge). If there were a plea deal, there would be no trial; the defendant would get whatever sentence was agreed upon.

As for justice? Justice is in the eye of the beholder.

"It would seem to me that June 16, 2008 was the last time that the victim was viewed by her grandparents. It became quite evident that from the OS of the Defense that the 16th was a date of great importance and that a so called time line of activities dealing with CA, LA, GA and ICA on the 16th and what, if any, activities took place on the 15th, 16th and 17th of June on 24 hour cycles would have been, at least, of a minimal requirement of review. I take it at some point you had a computer expert look at that data?" HHJP, 6/21/11

I have a couple of questions about the Sanction. Is this something that is recorded with the Fla Bar and becomes part of his permanent record, as a disciplinary action taken, or is this simply between HHJP and JB? Will this impact his ability to renew his license? IS that why CM pleads his case with JA?
    Or,is the real reason CM wrote to JA asking him to reconsider cashing the check because this also goes on his record- I saw an answer to another questioner where you said the members of a team can be held collectively responsible for not correcting the person who is at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by ZsaZsa View Post
    I have a couple of questions about the Sanction. Is this something that is recorded with the Fla Bar and becomes part of his permanent record, as a disciplinary action taken, or is this simply between HHJP and JB? Will this impact his ability to renew his license? IS that why CM pleads his case with JA?
    Or,is the real reason CM wrote to JA asking him to reconsider cashing the check because this also goes on his record- I saw an answer to another questioner where you said the members of a team can be held collectively responsible for not correcting the person who is at fault.
    The sanction is not part of his record with the Bar, just part of the record of this one case. And unless Florida is different from most other states, he shouldn't ever have to renew his license.

CM has a "clean record" and, I think, sees sanctions as a bigger deal than JB does. JB is used to barely squeaking by.

CM was not sanctioned, so this sanction is not "on his record" even for this one case. HHJP certainly had the option of holding the entire team responsible, but he chose not to.

Bar Complaint by Judge SS

Will the bar complaint filed by Judge S.S come in during the trial? IIRC He was concerned DC not the call police if he found the body, but to call JB instead. I would think if DC's testimony comes in, the complaint will too. The judge stated, if true, that it was deeply disturbing. It makes me wonder WHY JB would insist on that....also, it is public record.

Many Thanks to AZ and all the legal minds that contribute on this case.
    Last edited by Sooner Fan#1; 01-16-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Founding Member of AFKBPOFPOPL

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Fan View Post
    Will the bar complaint filed by Judge S.S come in during the trial? IIRC He was concerned DC not the call police if he found the body, but to call JB instead. I would think if DC's testimony comes in, the complaint will too. The judge stated, if true, that it was deeply disturbing. It makes me wonder WHY JB would insist on that....also, it is public record.

Many Thanks to AZ and all the legal minds that contribute on this case.
    No, the bar complaint will not come in at trial. It is not relevant to whether or not Casey committed the murder. At most, it is relevant to whether or not Casey's lawyer thinks or knows she is guilty, which the jury is definitely not permitted to consider.

Also, although I know JS said he was concerned, my understanding from talking to criminal defense lawyers is that it is widely considered appropriate and ethical for a defense attorney to know where evidence is and view it without reporting it to police, as long as he does not alter it in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by AZlawyer View Post
    No, the bar complaint will not come in at trial. It is not relevant to whether or not Casey committed the murder. At most, it is relevant to whether or not Casey's lawyer thinks or knows she is guilty, which the jury is definitely not permitted to consider.

Also, although I know JS said he was concerned, my understanding from talking to criminal defense lawyers is that it is widely considered appropriate and ethical for a defense attorney to know where evidence is and view it without reporting it to police, as long as he does not alter it in any way.
    Thank you AZ, for your quick reply. Another question, Will DC's testimony come in stating he was told by JB to not call police? Seem's we haven't heard anything else from DC. This is just annoying to me...I wanna know!
    Founding Member of AFKBPOFPOPL

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Fan View Post
    Thank you AZ, for your quick reply. Another question, Will DC's testimony come in stating he was told by JB to not call police? Seem's we haven't heard anything else from DC. This is just annoying to me...I wanna know!
    No, I don't think the part about not calling police will come in, for the same reasons as I mentioned in my last answer.

What is the difference between contempt and civil contempt? Thanks AZ for all your time on the threads!
    Save the Earth! It is the only planet with chocolate.

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet.
    ~ Unknown

Page 1 of 108 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast