NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ten Minutes To Nowhere" - that's what comes to mind after reading all on the web and seeing the Discovery ID show....

It wasn’t like I’ve seen on so many other Discovery shows where there were days or even hours - here it was only ten minutes in which something happened in which events cannot be figured out. Add to this the paradoxes - Witnesses so close, yet so distance far in terms of catching her; LE so quick to arrive, but so unable to find anything or catch her….

"Ten Minutes To Nowhere" - that's what comes to mind after reading all on the web and seeing the Discovery ID show....

It wasn’t like I’ve seen on so many other Discovery shows where there were days or even hours - here it was only ten minutes in which something happened in which events cannot be figured out. Add to this the paradoxes - Witnesses so close, yet so distance far in terms of catching her; LE so quick to arrive, but so unable to find anything or catch her….

You have that right. She disappeared in ten minutes--very heart breaking.
I hope she is found. Her family needs to know what happened.

If anyone saw the Stolen Voices show the other night about Denise Huber in CA – the scene in which search dogs were brought in to where here car was found disabled along the highway, and the way the dogs tracked her scent a short distance along the highway to were the scent simply ended – Wow! it seemed like a replay of what we all have heard in this case about Maura!

I didn't know the Denise Huber case.

I can only surmise that someone either picked Maura up (she left voluntarily, perhaps to avoid police) or she was abducted as Kristi Cornwell was. The third possibility was that she thought she was getting a ride FROM police.

If anyone saw the Stolen Voices show the other night about Denise Huber in CA – the scene in which search dogs were brought in to where here car was found disabled along the highway, and the way the dogs tracked her scent a short distance along the highway to were the scent simply ended – Wow! it seemed like a replay of what we all have heard in this case about Maura!

It does sound like she got into a car. One of the confusing aspects of the Maura Murray case, is the dogs stopping 100 yards (it maybe 300 yds.) up the street. Yet, there was supposedly a witness, who claims he may have seen her running 4 or 5 miles east of the accident. Also, the item (gloves) they used to track her scent was not the best choice. Her father said that the gloves were new and she rarely wore them. It would have been better, if the dogs had the scent of her running clothes. So, in a sense, this throws a little doubt that Maura got into a car. Although, she may have.

It does sound like she got into a car. One of the confusing aspects of the Maura Murray case, is the dogs stopping 100 yards (it maybe 300 yds.) up the street. Yet, there was supposedly a witness, who claims he may have seen her running 4 or 5 miles east of the accident. Also, the item (gloves) they used to track her scent was not the best choice. Her father said that the gloves were new and she rarely wore them. It would have been better, if the dogs had the scent of her running clothes. So, in a sense, this throws a little doubt that Maura got into a car. Although, she may have.

You're spot on McSpy - I feel the exact same way!
Here's a question, if you know, and has been bugging me :waitasec:
Were there any snowfalls between the time of the accident and the time LE or anyone searched the area in the light of day?
I imagine by the time they did an aerial search, there might have been some snowfalls that covered tracks?

I'm thinking that she accepted a ride from someone or a group of people.
I'm thinking this is the most likely case.

I still can't believe they have found no trace of her in the last 7 years.

I REALLY want this case to be eventually solved.

This one and the Brianna Maitland one as well.

I'm thinking that she accepted a ride from someone or a group of people.
I'm thinking this is the most likely case.

I still can't believe they have found no trace of her in the last 7 years.

I REALLY want this case to be eventually solved.

This one and the Brianna Maitland one as well.

My feelings - probably just one person since the more people involved the greater the chance one will say something...
Considering Maura didn't accept help from the SBD (he was older, bigger, threathing looking to her) the person would likely be someone near her age, college looking or wearing a military uniform (since Maura attended West Point). Considering the remoteness of the area - a local man. May not have a criminal record, instead he took advantage of the situation...

Long long shot - she might have accepted a ride from a woman who then drops her off someplace else, an then she runs into someone who is bad.

You're spot on McSpy - I feel the exact same way!
Here's a question, if you know, and has been bugging me :waitasec:
Were there any snowfalls between the time of the accident and the time LE or anyone searched the area in the light of day?
I imagine by the time they did an aerial search, there might have been some snowfalls that covered tracks?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so, because in an article I read it said that helicopters were looking for foot prints from the road through the snow and it was pretty fresh. The area did have a couple of feet of fresh snow right before the night of her accident, so they had a clean slate to work with on possible tracks. To me, I would think that wouldn't be too thorough, because the area is so wooded. I imagine there are a lot of branches hanging over the road, which would block their
view of tracks from the air. I think there was a ground search too, with the dogs, but I don't know how much ground they covered. She could have made it pretty far, because she was young and a champion runner.

I'm not sure, but I don't think so, because in an article I read it said that helicopters were looking for foot prints from the road through the snow and it was pretty fresh. The area did have a couple of feet of fresh snow right before the night of her accident, so they had a clean slate to work with on possible tracks. To me, I would think that wouldn't be too thorough, because the area is so wooded. I imagine there are a lot of branches hanging over the road, which would block their
view of tracks from the air. I think there was a ground search too, with the dogs, but I don't know how much ground they covered. She could have made it pretty far, because she was young and a champion runner.

Thanks for info!

I know she was a good runner but correct me if I'm wrong, it was very cold that night, either 12 or minus 12 (can't remember what I've read) and don't think there would be many street lights (not sure if moon was out) so running would be tricky on an icy road with loose stones?, holes?, etc as happens after snow plowing.......(thinking back to the nights wife and I would jogg at night and nearly breaking an ankle a few times even in good weather)... wonder how many cars drive through that area... should have been seen and remembered by more than just the CP who came forward...

Thanks for info!

I know she was a good runner but correct me if I'm wrong, it was very cold that night, either 12 or minus 12 (can't remember what I've read) and don't think there would be many street lights (not sure if moon was out) so running would be tricky on an icy road with loose stones?, holes?, etc as happens after snow plowing.......(thinking back to the nights wife and I would jogg at night and nearly breaking an ankle a few times even in good weather)... wonder how many cars drive through that area... should have been seen and remembered by more than just the CP who came forward...

There is hardly any lighting on those roads. I think the only street lights are at the intersections. I
would think she would have had a hard time seeing her way up the road. It would have been pitch black. I know your eyes can adjust, but there is hardly any ambient light at all. She was heading into a National Forrest. Both sides of the road would have had snow banks from the plows and I think there was a very light snow fall. I did read that the 12 degree temps were wrong and that the actual temp was around 33 degrees, which is considered mild at that time of year, especially during the night.

I am also surprised no one other the contractor had seen her running down the road. I know the area is sparsely populated, but they were main roads, which connect to several towns. I would think she would be hard to miss, because she was pinned in by the snow banks and probably most people drive at night with their high beams on. She could duck down a dirt road or driveway to hide when a vehicle drives by, but I still feel someone else should have seen her. To get to another town, she would have been on the road for 10-15 miles. There is also a possibility that she went to someone's door too, and met with trouble there.

Thanks for info!

You made another good point here. She could have hurt herself running and possibly succumbed to the elements. If she ran 10 miles into the forrest on RT. 112 then broke an ankle, she would have been in big trouble. She may not have been dressed warm enough for the situation. She could have kept reasonably warm, while running, but I think the cold would have got to her at a snails pace. She would have been in terrible pain too.

There is hardly any lighting on those roads. I think the only street lights are at the intersections. I
would think she would have had a hard time seeing her way up the road. It would have been pitch black. I know your eyes can adjust, but there is hardly any ambient light at all. She was heading into a National Forrest. Both sides of the road would have had snow banks from the plows and I think there was a very light snow fall. I did read that the 12 degree temps were wrong and that the actual temp was around 33 degrees, which is considered mild at that time of year, especially during the night.

I am also surprised no one other the contractor had seen her running down the road. I know the area is sparsely populated, but they were main roads, which connect to several towns. I would think she would be hard to miss, because she was pinned in by the snow banks and probably most people drive at night with their high beams on. She could duck down a dirt road or driveway to hide when a vehicle drives by, but I still feel someone else should have seen her. To get to another town, she would have been on the road for 10-15 miles. There is also a possibility that she went to someone's door too, and met with trouble there.

Thanks for infor about the actual temp being around 33 degrees... a big difference and now I wonder if she did make a run for it...

With 7-year anniversary days away, I wonder if Fred will make his pilgrimage to the crash site this year. So much snow and ice this year..

Will something eventually turn up? Having followed a case closer to home, and a bit more personal, Joan Webster's disappearance, I do think something will eventually turn up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV2Si5jfceg

Thanks for infor about the actual temp being around 33 degrees... a big difference and now I wonder if she did make a run for it...

With 7-year anniversary days away, I wonder if Fred will make his pilgrimage to the crash site this year. So much snow and ice this year..

Will something eventually turn up? Having followed a case closer to home, and a bit more personal, Joan Webster's disappearance, I do think something will eventually turn up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV2Si5jfceg

This is terrible that they haven't solved this crime. She was only a kid and it has gone unsolved too long!
Is it possible to do any DNA tests on the remains? Maybe new forensic technology can help solve it?

I was reading about the Joan Webster case and I noticed that there were items found in a safety deposit box belonging to a long time suspect. Some people theorize that some of those items may have belonged to Joan. Perhaps, LE could have those looked at again. If they could find any of Joan's DNA on them, then it would implicate Paradiso for sure. It's probably a long shot, but worth a try for justice.

Enjoy reading your thoughts McSpy on this and other cases!

I had mixed feeling about bringing up the Joan Webster case here.. since her case was closer to home, I remember feeling - how could she simply have vanished from a busy airport and as time went by I felt she would never be found. If she could be found, then there is hope for those close to Maura that one day she will be found.

Regarding, "Perhaps, LE could have those looked at again. If they could find any of Joan's DNA on them, then it would implicate Paradiso for sure. It's probably a long shot, but worth a try for justice." from what I've read Joan's parents do now want her case reopened.

One other thought - it has always been assumed that if Maura went running from the scene, she ran in the direction toward the SBD's house and toward the forest.

Is it possible that she might have first gone in that direction, but seeing the SBD's house had second thoughts, and then turned around an ran the other way - away from the forest and towards civilization?

I know the dogs tracked her to the SBD's driveway, and the questionable sighting by the contractor.... also she would have to have hidden from LE going to the scene...
but I cannot imagine her running into the forest..

To me the simplest solution, placing myself in her situation, I would try to go back to something I might have passed along the way to get help in fixing/towing my car - gas station, etc...

One other thought - it has always been assumed that if Maura went running from the scene, she ran in the direction toward the SBD's house and toward the forest.

Is it possible that she might have first gone in that direction, but seeing the SBD's house had second thoughts, and then turned around an ran the other way - away from the forest and towards civilization?

I know the dogs tracked her to the SBD's driveway, and the questionable sighting by the contractor.... also she would have to have hidden from LE going to the scene...
but I cannot imagine her running into the forest..

To me the simplest solution, placing myself in her situation, I would try to go back to something I might have passed along the way to get help in fixing/towing my car - gas station, etc...

That is possible. The doubling back would have made her scent stronger in that direction too, so the dogs picked it up as heading east.

I also thought that she may have got into a car heading west. Someone in the west bound lane, may have stopped right where the dogs lost her scent and asked her if she needed a ride. He probably seemed clean cut, friendly and nonthreatening, so she took a chance and took the ride.

If she took a ride from someone--then why not accept help from the SBD? If she had been drinking, even a bit, she might have feared being caught and given a breathalyzer, probably thinking that would be the last straw after the previous wreck. So her decision to bolt might have been the equivalent of teenagers running away from a minor wreck to avoid a DUI. The issue then become how to get away in the dark before the police show up. Hiding in the woods wouldn't make sense because it is very hard to sit still when it is cold and she likely wasn't dressed for prolonged exposure if she was driving. Maybe the fear of being caught overcame her fear of getting in the car with a stranger. And if the person picking her up was young, and she asked him or her not to tell--well, maybe Maura is still alive. That is the kind of decision making that might result from fatigue, drinking, and much stress. And once she was gone, she was out from under whatever else had been bothering her and she could just start a new life somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46