Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast
    Just an afterthought about the cloth in the tailpipe ..... I wonder if the emergency flashers were on when LE found her car. I say that because I can see using a red cloth as a warning instead of turning on the flashers if one thought they would be gone a long time an did not want to wear down the car's battery...

I still wonder about her having the where-with-all to place the warning cloth, but not trying to get rid of the alcohol in her car....
    "oldsteve" - no relation to anyone outside this forum. My posts not to be used/quoted outside of Websleuths.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Just an afterthought about the cloth in the tailpipe ..... I wonder if the emergency flashers were on when LE found her car. I say that because I can see using a red cloth as a warning instead of turning on the flashers if one thought they would be gone a long time an did not want to wear down the car's battery...

I still wonder about her having the where-with-all to place the warning cloth, but not trying to get rid of the alcohol in her car....
    You're right, that part about the alcohol makes no sense. You know, I had a thought. This sounds kind of far-fetched, but nothing else makes sense, either. Maybe a passerby put the cloth in the tailpipe? If someone came along and noticed the car sticking out in the road, he or she wouldn't have been able to turn on the flashers if the car was locked. Maybe that person put a rag in the tail pipe to mark it and hopefully prevent others from running into it? I think it was mentioned whether or not the car was locked, but I don't remember. If it was, then this probably isn't the case, but you never know. Maybe somebody didn't want to reach in to someone else's car and decided to use the rag instead. Just a thought.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to goldiegirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by goldiegirl View Post
    You're right, that part about the alcohol makes no sense. You know, I had a thought. This sounds kind of far-fetched, but nothing else makes sense, either. Maybe a passerby put the cloth in the tailpipe? If someone came along and noticed the car sticking out in the road, he or she wouldn't have been able to turn on the flashers if the car was locked. Maybe that person put a rag in the tail pipe to mark it and hopefully prevent others from running into it? I think it was mentioned whether or not the car was locked, but I don't remember. If it was, then this probably isn't the case, but you never know. Maybe somebody didn't want to reach in to someone else's car and decided to use the rag instead. Just a thought.
    The cloth in the tailpipe came from a emergency kit given to her by her father that she kept in her car, so either she or someone who access to the inside of her car did that, though it most likely her since she knew of the kit and where it was.
    "oldsteve" - no relation to anyone outside this forum. My posts not to be used/quoted outside of Websleuths.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OldSteve For This Useful Post:

The cloth was confirmed to be from Maura's emergency car kit, which was in her trunk. Her father had put the kit together.

I have read that the car was locked.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:

The bus driver advised her to turn them on, but I don't know if she complied.

She did grab the bottles, but left the busted up box of wine and soda bottle with wine in it. My theory is that she wanted to get away from the scene and didn't have time to clean up the mess (wine splashed in the interior). I don't believe she was thinking clearly.

JMO

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:

I think the very fact that the only thing that's really missing is the alcohol shows that the reason she fled was because she just didn't want to get caught driving with all that alcohol, some of it being opened. I don't even know that she was necessarily all that intoxicated. She may have been but either way she'd need to ditch the alcohol. I have always thought that she trusted the wrong person, or the wrong person got a hold of her. I do think she was still alive for the call to her bf's cell. But I think by 2 days later her cell would have been dead so she would have had to use a landline. Maybe a perp stopped at a truck stop and she told him she had to use the bathroom. Maybe she was able to get to a pay phone.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armywife210 For This Useful Post:

This is a perplexing case. I found out about this on her anniversary, someone on my facebook friends list wrote this:

Can not believe that Maura has been missing for 7 years today!
    And in response to:
    Who's Maura?
    was:

Its a girl that I grew up with living in Hanson.. we played sports together all growing up. Sad story because she disappeared up in NH and she was one of the nicest human being that you could have ever met!http://www.959watd.com/news.php?Hans...ince-2004-4917

Afterwards, I watched the disappeared show on Maura and have been perplexed by it ever since. I've scoured the web, read the threads here maybe 2 times all the way through, and I still have no idea what to think. Every time I go back to this case I think something different.

NHWoodsman had some good posts on this over the summer and he seemed to support the theory that she disappeared into the woods on her own accord and succumbed to the elements. I subscribed to this theory but... we just had a horrible winter here in MA, and on multiple occasions I had to walk through 2 1/2 feet of snow on the ground. Was she wearing sneakers? Because that would make it even less likely, they'd be uncomfortably soaked very quickly. I just can't see anyone doing this in nearly any state of mind... if she did disappear into the woods and "got lost", why didn't she follow her tracks back out? Another mystery.

Someone mentioned a while back the theory of someone driving around impersonating a police officer and really that theory would explain an awful lot

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Weird Tolkienish F For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE

NHWoodsman had some good posts on this over the summer and he seemed to support the theory that she disappeared into the woods on her own accord and succumbed to the elements. I subscribed to this theory but... we just had a horrible winter here in MA, and on multiple occasions I had to walk through 2 1/2 feet of snow on the ground. Was she wearing sneakers? Because that would make it even less likely, they'd be uncomfortably soaked very quickly. I just can't see anyone doing this in nearly any state of mind... if she did disappear into the woods and "got lost", why didn't she follow her tracks back out? Another mystery.

[/QUOTE]

Part of the reason this doesn't make sense to me is the call to the bf. Of course, there are those who don't believe the call was made by Maura, but to those who do this theory doesn't work. If she had a cell phone in the woods, she wouldn't need to use a calling card to call her bf within the US.

I also just don't see someone disappearing into the woods to die without having a specific method by which to kill him or herself. That would be a long, slow death. Also, now that it's been explained that the rag in the tailpipe came from Maura's own emergency kit, I do believe it was Maura who placed the rag there. I don't see her doing this if she planned to go off and die in the woods. Why would she care whether or not anyone noticed her car?
    Last edited by goldiegirl; 03-17-2011 at 03:59 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to goldiegirl For This Useful Post:

Part of the reason this doesn't make sense to me is the call to the bf. Of course, there are those who don't believe the call was made by Maura, but to those who do this theory doesn't work. If she had a cell phone in the woods, she wouldn't need to use a calling card to call her bf within the US.

I also just don't see someone disappearing into the woods to die without having a specific method by which to kill him or herself. That would be a long, slow death. Also, now that it's been explained that the rag in the tailpipe came from Maura's own emergency kit, I do believe it was Maura who placed the rag there. I don't see her doing this if she planned to go off and die in the woods. Why would she care whether or not anyone noticed her car?
    Maura couldn't get a signal on the cell. She was trying to contact AAA to tow her car. One theory is that she left the scene to look for a land line to make the call. By her conversation with the bus driver, it looks like she wanted her car towed before the police showed up.

She could have gone in the woods and drank herself to death, because she did have a few bottles of booze with her. Yet, I don't think she did that. I believe there was around 2 feet of snow on the ground at the time--not sure though (memory fail), but I do know there was snow on the ground. I think she only had shoes on--not boots, so it would have been very uncomfortable climbing around in the snowy, pitched black woods. I also think it could have been uncomfortable running down the road with bottles in her backpack clanging around too. Unless, she had something in her backpack such as clothes to dampen the movement. I believe she ran though, but how far is still a question.

In my opinion, the rag doesn't mean anything. I don't think it has anything to do with her disappearance. It is like the packed boxes in her dorm room. There is probably an innocent explanation. IMO, whatever happened to her happened after she left the scene of her car accident in NH. I believe she may have been hit by a car, succumbed to the elements, or had met with foul play. This is all my opinion---so far.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by armywife210 View Post
    I think the very fact that the only thing that's really missing is the alcohol shows that the reason she fled was because she just didn't want to get caught driving with all that alcohol, some of it being opened. I don't even know that she was necessarily all that intoxicated. She may have been but either way she'd need to ditch the alcohol. I have always thought that she trusted the wrong person, or the wrong person got a hold of her. I do think she was still alive for the call to her bf's cell. But I think by 2 days later her cell would have been dead so she would have had to use a landline. Maybe a perp stopped at a truck stop and she told him she had to use the bathroom. Maybe she was able to get to a pay phone.
    I wonder if she left her phone charger in the car. If I recall correctly, the call to the bf's phone was about 2 days after the car accident. Perhaps, she was staying with someone?

If I remember correctly, the charger was left in the car, along with a lot of personal items that meant a great deal to her (some jewelry given to her by her BF, and a stuffed monkey, also from her BF that she slept with. All she seems to have taken was the alcohol and whatever else happened to be in her backpack...such as her wallet. She used a backpack as a purse, so she probably just put the alcohol in it too. This further supports the theory that she was just trying to ditch the alcohol and MAYBE put some time between the accident and the conversation between her/police because she had alcohol on her breath and wine spilled in her car.
    In my opinion she didn't intend to stay gone. If she did, she wouldn't have left her belongings that meant enough to her to bring with her on the trip. She also wouldn't have taken the time to print off an accident report (that was found in her car), and brought her school books.
    I don't think she froze to death because I can't see her going that far into the woods to ditch the alcohol and perhaps wait a bit with all the snow.
    Last edited by armywife210; 03-18-2011 at 06:23 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armywife210 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McSpy View Post
    In my opinion, the rag doesn't mean anything. I don't think it has anything to do with her disappearance. It is like the packed boxes in her dorm room. There is probably an innocent explanation. IMO, whatever happened to her happened after she left the scene of her car accident in NH. I believe she may have been hit by a car, succumbed to the elements, or had met with foul play. This is all my opinion---so far.
    I agree. I don't think her plans beforehand have anything to do with what happened to her. The only reason I thought the rag was significant was in determining whether or not something happened to her right at the crash site or later on after she left. For example, if she put the rag in the tailpipe herself then she made it away from the car on her own, as opposed to someone abducting her from the scene. I guess the fact that she took the alcohol bottles was enough to indicate that. Either way, I guess it doesn't matter much.

Another way that the rag could have been a tad bit helpful would be in determining what her plans were. I had never heard of someone using a rag like this before, so what I was wondering was whether or not it was an indication that she planned to have the car towed, or whether it meant something else specific. My thought was that it might help to determine what Maura planned to do - walk to a place with a signal? Hitchhike? etc., so I thought it might have given us some indication about where she could have been walking and whether or not she did just go into the woods. That was the main theory I was trying to examine with that thought - if she went into the woods to die, she wouldn't have cared what happened to her car. It looks to me that she did walk away from the scene but did not plan to be gone for long, but regardless of what her exact plans were at this point, something else obviously happened to her instead.

My theory has always been that she was picked up by someone, either willingly or not, as opposed to being hit by a car or succumbing to the elements. It just seems like the most likely scenario.
    Last edited by goldiegirl; 03-18-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McSpy View Post
    I wonder if she left her phone charger in the car. If I recall correctly, the call to the bf's phone was about 2 days after the car accident. Perhaps, she was staying with someone?
    Yeah the whole "other person theory"... how was Maura communicating with this person? Obviously not cellphone. Probably not email although she could have had a "secret" account or something.

I just don't see it.

My theory has always been that she was picked up by someone, either willingly or not, as opposed to being hit by a car or succumbing to the elements. It just seems like the most likely scenario.
    They had a very similar case to Maura's on this thread, a young woman's car found by the side of the road with a flat tire, and she had just vanished. As it turns, there was a guy going around in a fake cop car and uniform and he abducted and murdered her... they found her body in a freezer he had rented and it was found just by chance.

The fact that it's so similar to Maura's case, coupled with what happened to Brianna Maitland (sp?), makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I honestly wonder if we'll ever know.

Someone even made a post of various people in the NH area caught driving around impersonating police.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Weird Tolkienish F For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast