Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 862

Thread: NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #7

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where I hang my hat.
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish F View Post
    I had thought it was in the opposite direct? Look at Google maps at the crash site, the dogs tracked her to right in front of Bradley Hill Road... is that where his house is? I thought it was the opposite way? It's hard to see the SBD as a suspect because he called police ASAP and had a wife, etc. My gut reaction to seeing his interview on Disappeared was that he was not involved other than talking to her.
    I believe he lived right near the corner of Rt. 112 and Bradley Hill Road. I also don't think he had anything to do with her disappearance. He didn't have enough time to do anything. IIRC, the contractor, who said he saw Maura running several miles up Rt. 112, lived across the street from the bus driver. I'm a little more suspicious of him.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:


  3. #152
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    -Metro NYC
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by McSpy View Post
    The neighbors, who were looking out their window, saw the bus leave and saw Maura still with the car.
    It's interesting that at the most critical time after the accident, no one was looking out their window or from their bus to see what was going on. That point seems very strange to me.

    We've had similiar accidents/crashes occur in front and near our house - after calling the police, the wife and I, and all the other neighbors are outside, looking out windows... and we are in a city.... One would think out in the sticks, people would even be more concerned, or simply curious enough to watch until LE arrived... another point, when we call the police we will tell them the condition of the person(s), and things like - the person appears dazed, or is in danger of be struck by another car.... also, when it's just a woman involved, my wife seems to instinctively want to help all the more... so while I can understand the men staying back, it's strange again that no women came to Maura's aid...

    The scenario is - I mean, can you picture it..... Oh, there's a car that crashed into a snow bank and there's a woman inside the car.... she appears dazed.... honey, call the police..... now let's see what on TV...
    Speaking of mysteries - billions of people past/present, how on earth did I get be on earth and self-aware?

    Rule-of-Three (click to visit blog)

    Red Flags When Spouse Goes Missing (click to visit blog)

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OldSteve For This Useful Post:


  5. #153
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    191

    Not Without Peril

    Okay, I'm almost finished reading the book that Maura had with her. It's fascinating even though I'm not a hiker (think I want to try it), have never seen the White Mountains. But I just don't see how one could think the book was an indication she wanted to commit suicide. Given that she and her Dad often hiked in those mountains, I can see when she did many of those trails using the book for a reference "this is where so and so happened." Many of us here when crimes happen around us, we go and check it out for ourselves....it's just some sort of personality trait we share. The book makes very clear that winter is a treacherous time there and one has to be careful but winter hiking can be done with prudence. If one loves the lore of the land, one would appreciate this book. It certainly would fall in the reference category...I find myself flipping back and forth between chapters at times.

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justathought For This Useful Post:


  7. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    It's interesting that at the most critical time after the accident, no one was looking out their window or from their bus to see what was going on. That point seems very strange to me.

    We've had similiar accidents/crashes occur in front and near our house - after calling the police, the wife and I, and all the other neighbors are outside, looking out windows... and we are in a city.... One would think out in the sticks, people would even be more concerned, or simply curious enough to watch until LE arrived... another point, when we call the police we will tell them the condition of the person(s), and things like - the person appears dazed, or is in danger of be struck by another car.... also, when it's just a woman involved, my wife seems to instinctively want to help all the more... so while I can understand the men staying back, it's strange again that no women came to Maura's aid...

    The scenario is - I mean, can you picture it..... Oh, there's a car that crashed into a snow bank and there's a woman inside the car.... she appears dazed.... honey, call the police..... now let's see what on TV...
    If you go to Google street view of the area, and then watch the Disappeared episode and listen to where Fred Murray said the car was, you'll see that it's in an awkward spot and not really within easy viewing from the house.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Weird Tolkienish F For This Useful Post:


  9. #155
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest, United States
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    It's interesting that at the most critical time after the accident, no one was looking out their window or from their bus to see what was going on. That point seems very strange to me.
    This leads me to something I've always wondered about this case. Does anyone know what the people are like in that part of the world? Just as OldSteve mentions, no one seemed to be paying much attention despite the fact a young woman was stuck on the side of the road. And besides that, there is the LE response to Maura's disappearance, which seems to be a general reluctance to investigate starting from day one.

    Is that a place where everyone minds their own business? Do they have a particularly strong strain of individualism in NH? Are outsiders frowned upon?
    There are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
    There are known unknowns; there are things we know we don't know.
    There are unknown unknowns; there are things we don't know we don't know.
    And there are unknown knowns; there are things we don't know we know.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Copper For This Useful Post:


  11. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    This leads me to something I've always wondered about this case. Does anyone know what the people are like in that part of the world? Just as OldSteve mentions, no one seemed to be paying much attention despite the fact a young woman was stuck on the side of the road. And besides that, there is the LE response to Maura's disappearance, which seems to be a general reluctance to investigate starting from day one.

    Is that a place where everyone minds their own business? Do they have a particularly strong strain of individualism in NH? Are outsiders frowned upon?
    I am not going to speak for everyone in NH and I live about an hour away from where Maura crashed, however, when accidents happen, people get pulled over, (mind you, police are already there)... I may look out my window, stand on my step, but I go back in my home and leave it to them.
    If I saw an accident and police had not come... I would go out and see if there was anything I could do.
    I have been to the site of Maura's accident, met her family, posted fliers... It is isolated, yet I have wondered the same thing... why did NO one go out to help and STAY with her...
    FindLorne
    www.findlorne.faithweb.com

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to findlorne For This Useful Post:


  13. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    -Metro NYC
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by findlorne View Post
    I am not going to speak for everyone in NH and I live about an hour away from where Maura crashed, however, when accidents happen, people get pulled over, (mind you, police are already there)... I may look out my window, stand on my step, but I go back in my home and leave it to them.
    If I saw an accident and police had not come... I would go out and see if there was anything I could do.
    I have been to the site of Maura's accident, met her family, posted fliers... It is isolated, yet I have wondered the same thing... why did NO one go out to help and STAY with her...
    BBM - thanks for your info on this, and that is the part that baffles me - leaving her alone like that....
    Speaking of mysteries - billions of people past/present, how on earth did I get be on earth and self-aware?

    Rule-of-Three (click to visit blog)

    Red Flags When Spouse Goes Missing (click to visit blog)

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to OldSteve For This Useful Post:


  15. #158
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where I hang my hat.
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by findlorne View Post
    I am not going to speak for everyone in NH and I live about an hour away from where Maura crashed, however, when accidents happen, people get pulled over, (mind you, police are already there)... I may look out my window, stand on my step, but I go back in my home and leave it to them.
    If I saw an accident and police had not come... I would go out and see if there was anything I could do.
    I have been to the site of Maura's accident, met her family, posted fliers... It is isolated, yet I have wondered the same thing... why did NO one go out to help and STAY with her...
    I think there were only 2 couples and the bus driver, who noticed the accident. I believe at least one of the couples were elderly. They were probably reluctant to go outside and help, because they live in a very dark and isolated area. They also witnessed the bus driver conversing with Maura, so they may have thought he was handling it. The other couple (the Westmans), who lived the closest to the accident scene disagreed amongst each other on whether the driver was male or female. They also noticed the bus driver talk to the driver. Mrs. Westman did call police. Since the area is very dark (no street lights) and isolated, in my opinion, there was a reluctance to run outdoors to check out the scene. I can see more action from neighbors in a suburban setting, not so much in rural isolated areas.
    Just a thought.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:


  17. #159
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    339
    I've lived in similar areas in northern New England. A car in the snowbank is a very common thing. If I knew that the bus driver had checked on the driver and that LE was on the way, I probably would go on about my business.
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." -- Nietzsche

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gnomony For This Useful Post:


  19. #160
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5
    I feel bad for the bus driver. I really think he attempted to do the right thing, and it has just caused him grief. I'm 2 years younger than Maura Murray and I've done some stupid things while drunk and even sober. When I read her story, I feel lucky to be alive. I once freaked out by the Phillies stadium after a cop told me I needed to find my friends. I was so drunk I couldn't even work a phone. I ended up leaving my friends phone and mine on the curb while I ran from the cop - I was scared he would arrest me. I jumped into the back of a random persons van and ended up in another state. Some how I got home alive that night, but it was basically a miracle. If Maura was drinking and driving (which it sounds like) she was probably freaked out. She may have hopped in the wrong car in an attempt to keep her DUI a secret.
    I had a 1993 Saturn - it was an odd car. I literally hit a car while I was rolling forward at a red light (I didn't have my foot completely on the brake). The car in front of me had a metal hitch. It caught the hood of my car which folded up like an accordion. The sides of my Saturn were really stable and built for safety. It was hit while I was in the passenger side of the car by a van. There wasn't a dent in my car - and my door some how survived. Saturn's can be weird when they're in an accident.

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cherrymeg For This Useful Post:


  21. #161
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,233
    The only problem with Maura possibly getting into a car with someone right away or being abducted was that her boyfriend got a whimpering phone call the next morning. I wonder if LE questions how likely it would be that she'd be able to get to the phone and why she didn't ask for help instead of whimper, if it were her. Of course, she could have been out in the cold, and almost to hypothermia. Even with that, she'd have had to been in some shelter overnight or she might have already been affected and unconscious.

  22. #162
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    The only problem with Maura possibly getting into a car with someone right away or being abducted was that her boyfriend got a whimpering phone call the next morning. I wonder if LE questions how likely it would be that she'd be able to get to the phone and why she didn't ask for help instead of whimper, if it were her. Of course, she could have been out in the cold, and almost to hypothermia. Even with that, she'd have had to been in some shelter overnight or she might have already been affected and unconscious.
    IIRC it was said that there was a problem with the boyfriend's phone and that the caller sometimes didn't know it had gone to voice mail. So there was a theory that Maura may not have said anything because she was unaware that she was being recorded.I believe this was posted on the now closed MMM forum, but I cannot reference it because it's closed. It is unfortunate as it (the MMM forum) was a wealth of information from early on in the investigation as well as postings from people who knew Maura and has firsthand info. It would be nice if it could at least be made available for reading/searching even if it was not open to posting. JMO

  23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amy74 For This Useful Post:


  24. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where I hang my hat.
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    The only problem with Maura possibly getting into a car with someone right away or being abducted was that her boyfriend got a whimpering phone call the next morning. I wonder if LE questions how likely it would be that she'd be able to get to the phone and why she didn't ask for help instead of whimper, if it were her. Of course, she could have been out in the cold, and almost to hypothermia. Even with that, she'd have had to been in some shelter overnight or she might have already been affected and unconscious.
    There is that possibility the call was not from Maura. LE seems to have disregarded it after they found out it was from a Red Cross calling card.

    I think she could have survived the night, if she kept on moving. If she stopped and remained outdoors, I don't think she would have made it, especially if she fell asleep. She didn't sleep much the night before, so that was a big danger if she remained outdoors.
    Last edited by McSpy; 04-05-2011 at 10:27 PM.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:


  26. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where I hang my hat.
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrymeg View Post
    I feel bad for the bus driver. I really think he attempted to do the right thing, and it has just caused him grief. I'm 2 years younger than Maura Murray and I've done some stupid things while drunk and even sober. When I read her story, I feel lucky to be alive. I once freaked out by the Phillies stadium after a cop told me I needed to find my friends. I was so drunk I couldn't even work a phone. I ended up leaving my friends phone and mine on the curb while I ran from the cop - I was scared he would arrest me. I jumped into the back of a random persons van and ended up in another state. Some how I got home alive that night, but it was basically a miracle. If Maura was drinking and driving (which it sounds like) she was probably freaked out. She may have hopped in the wrong car in an attempt to keep her DUI a secret.
    I had a 1993 Saturn - it was an odd car. I literally hit a car while I was rolling forward at a red light (I didn't have my foot completely on the brake). The car in front of me had a metal hitch. It caught the hood of my car which
    folded up like an accordion. The sides of my Saturn were really stable and built for safety. It was hit while I was in the passenger side of the car by a van. There wasn't a dent in my car - and my door some how survived. Saturn's can be weird when they're in an accident.
    I had a few miracles in my youth too, which is why I think Maura wasn't trying to commit suicide or take off forever. I think she knew she messed up and reacted on impulse.

    You are right on the money about the Saturn. I had one too. You could take a hammer to the door or fenders and it wouldn't dent. If you hit it hard enough, it might split, but that's about it.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:


  28. #165
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where I hang my hat.
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy74 View Post
    IIRC it was said that there was a problem with the boyfriend's phone and that the caller sometimes didn't know it had gone to voice mail. So there was a theory that Maura may not have said anything because she was unaware that she was being recorded.I believe this was posted on the now closed MMM forum, but I cannot reference it because it's closed. It is unfortunate as it (the MMM forum) was a wealth of information from early on in the investigation as well as postings from people who knew Maura and has firsthand info. It would be nice if it could at least be made available for reading/searching even if it was not open to posting. JMO
    Wasn't that forum getting nasty? Maybe the family thought it was getting out of hand? Too bad, we can't at least read the posts for the info.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:


  30. #166
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    25
    There are several things that deeply concern me about this entire investigation. The police report is erroneous for one. That I have on good faith. IMO - The construction worker may be the key to this entirely. I don't have the documents but I'm almost certain somewhere along the lines the police or investigators were denied access to search certain areas. I've been attempting to verify this information. Then there is this, which has been bothering me for quite some time.

    As written on May 1, 2009 in the Eagle Tribune by James A Kimble

    John Healy, a former state trooper, said he and several other private investigators have been working to solve the 2004 disappearance of Maura Murray, a case now believed to be a homicide.
    After two searches of a wooded area in Haverhill, N.H., where Murray's car went off the road, searchers found two pieces of possible evidence, he said. That evidence, which Healy wouldn't describe, is now in the hands of the state attorney general's office.


    Something is rotten somewhere in this case. One witness is now deceased and the initial officer at the scene has since become the Chief and retired. The construction worker? Who knows? There is very little information available.

    One would think at the very least based on the Tribune article and statements made that if the investigation is in fact being treated as a homocide, that good detective work would definitely include requesting the searching of the personal property of the construction worker and possibly any subsequent working sites he had access to. He would need to be eliminated as a potential suspect based soley on the grounds he freely admitted he may have seen Maura.

  31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to search For This Useful Post:


  32. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by search View Post
    There are several things that deeply concern me about this entire investigation. The police report is erroneous for one. That I have on good faith. IMO - The construction worker may be the key to this entirely. I don't have the documents but I'm almost certain somewhere along the lines the police or investigators were denied access to search certain areas. I've been attempting to verify this information. Then there is this, which has been bothering me for quite some time.

    As written on May 1, 2009 in the Eagle Tribune by James A Kimble

    John Healy, a former state trooper, said he and several other private investigators have been working to solve the 2004 disappearance of Maura Murray, a case now believed to be a homicide.
    After two searches of a wooded area in Haverhill, N.H., where Murray's car went off the road, searchers found two pieces of possible evidence, he said. That evidence, which Healy wouldn't describe, is now in the hands of the state attorney general's office.


    Something is rotten somewhere in this case. One witness is now deceased and the initial officer at the scene has since become the Chief and retired. The construction worker? Who knows? There is very little information available.

    One would think at the very least based on the Tribune article and statements made that if the investigation is in fact being treated as a homocide, that good detective work would definitely include requesting the searching of the personal property of the construction worker and possibly any subsequent working sites he had access to. He would need to be eliminated as a potential suspect based soley on the grounds he freely admitted he may have seen Maura.
    Wow! Is that the underwear?

  33. #168
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where I hang my hat.
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by search View Post
    There are several things that deeply concern me about this entire investigation. The police report is erroneous for one. That I have on good faith. IMO - The construction worker may be the key to this entirely. I don't have the documents but I'm almost certain somewhere along the lines the police or investigators were denied access to search certain areas. I've been attempting to verify this information. Then there is this, which has been bothering me for quite some time.

    As written on May 1, 2009 in the Eagle Tribune by James A Kimble

    John Healy, a former state trooper, said he and several other private investigators have been working to solve the 2004 disappearance of Maura Murray, a case now believed to be a homicide.
    After two searches of a wooded area in Haverhill, N.H., where Murray's car went off the road, searchers found two pieces of possible evidence, he said. That evidence, which Healy wouldn't describe, is now in the hands of the state attorney general's office.


    Something is rotten somewhere in this case. One witness is now deceased and the initial officer at the scene has since become the Chief and retired. The construction worker? Who knows? There is very little information available.

    One would think at the very least based on the Tribune article and statements made that if the investigation is in fact being treated as a homocide, that good detective work would definitely include requesting the searching of the personal property of the construction worker and possibly any subsequent working sites he had access to. He would need to be eliminated as a potential suspect based soley on the grounds he freely admitted he may have seen Maura.
    Were the search areas the police were denied access the property of the contractor? He pretty much lived across the street from the bus driver, if I remember correctly, which was on the corner of Bradley Hill Rd. and Rt. 112. The very place Maura's scent stopped when the dogs did their search.

    Do you have a link to the article about the 2 pieces of evidence?

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:


  35. #169
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,028
    I am, and always have been, on the same page as "Search."

  36. #170
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where I hang my hat.
    Posts
    8,180
    When I come to think of it, the construction contractor said he worked until 7pm in Franconia, if I remember correctly. I have limited knowledge on the hours construction contractors work, but it does seem late to me. Maybe he was caught up with the work, but 7pm at night seems much later in the winter time. Possibly, he had a deadline or he was almost finished with a project and just wanted to complete it, so he put in a couple of hours to do that. However, in my limited experience, those guys usually head home around 5pm. I could be wrong, but I have always been suspicious of the time he gave to LE.

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:


  38. #171
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    25

  39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to search For This Useful Post:


  40. #172
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    25
    He states the case needs special attention.

    10 Private investigators working pro bono.

    New Hampshire Police investigators on the case too.

    All this time has passed. Kind of makes you lose all confidence in the direction and competency of those leading the investigation in the past and present.

  41. The Following User Says Thank You to search For This Useful Post:


  42. #173
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    -Metro NYC
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by search View Post
    He states the case needs special attention.

    10 Private investigators working pro bono.

    New Hampshire Police investigators on the case too.

    All this time has passed. Kind of makes you lose all confidence in the direction and competency of those leading the investigation in the past and present.
    BBM - Not much seemed to have come out of their investigation, at least what they will let the public know. Would make for an interesting ID show to learn what the found out, what they think - if it would not comprise the investigation. Then tricky too, lawsuits if anyone is accused...
    Speaking of mysteries - billions of people past/present, how on earth did I get be on earth and self-aware?

    Rule-of-Three (click to visit blog)

    Red Flags When Spouse Goes Missing (click to visit blog)

  43. The Following User Says Thank You to OldSteve For This Useful Post:


  44. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by McSpy View Post
    When I come to think of it, the construction contractor said he worked until 7pm in Franconia, if I remember correctly. I have limited knowledge on the hours construction contractors work, but it does seem late to me. Maybe he was caught up with the work, but 7pm at night seems much later in the winter time. Possibly, he had a deadline or he was almost finished with a project and just wanted to complete it, so he put in a couple of hours to do that. However, in my limited experience, those guys usually head home around 5pm. I could be wrong, but I have always been suspicious of the time he gave to LE.
    Wow, if I have evidence possibly related to a case remind me never to come forward, lest someone on the internet be "suspicious" of some detail. This is why the bus driver was so close lipped after a while and I don't blame him, all he tried to do was help and he "followed all the rules" and ended up a suspect by people on the internet.

  45. #175
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,028
    Search, I've been down this road before in another case -- so much manpower, effort, energy -- but no result. Could it be there is a proverbial elephant in the room about which no one will speak? What do you think?

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #9
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 1132
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 10:37 PM
  2. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #8
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 1227
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 02:49 PM
  3. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #5
    By Timex in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 1025
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 12:17 AM
  4. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #4
    By CW in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 12:08 AM
  5. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #2
    By CW in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 276
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:23 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •