GUILTY OR - David Woodworth for rape of 1yo boy, Eugene, 2006

Missizzy

Reaction score
I'm actually shocked that I'd never heard of this case as this is in my state. Note that the judge went beyond the prosecutor's recommended sentence. The man is a monster, no doubt about it. However, I'm brought to my knees by the very last sentence. It might not be true. But it might......

"Oh what evil is wrought....."

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...3-41/woodworth-child-judge-schwartz-david.csp

Child abuser’s sentence: 121 years

"A judge on Thursday sentenced a 37-year-old Eugene [OR] man to almost 121 years in prison for multiple incidents of child sexual abuse, including what the prosecutor called the “sexual torture” of a 1-year-old boy.

Lane County Circuit Judge Charles Zennaché ordered a sentence even longer than the 100 years sought by Lane County Deputy District Attorney David Schwartz, saying he wanted to be sure David James Woodworth never abuses another child.

Woodworth pleaded guilty last week to 20 counts that included three separate 2006 episodes in which he videotaped himself sodomizing the child in a series of ways as the boy screamed in pain. Woodworth also pleaded guilty to secretly videotaping a 4-year-old boy urinating in a bathroom stall at Valley River Center earlier this year....."

and

"....Woodworth, a slender man with dark, receding hair and a dark beard, sometimes swiveled in his chair and sometimes sat with his eyes tightly shut during the proceeding. A large tattoo of what appeared to be a grinning devil was visible on his right tricep beneath the sleeve of his jail clothing. He cried briefly when his defense attorney, Chris Hansen, said he would most likely die in prison..."

and

"....“I regret everything I did [said Woodworth]. I lived with that for four years. I don’t want that child to have to grow up the same way I grew up. I had a childhood of sexual, physical and mental abuse — not that I make any excuses....”

more at link (Note: Extremely disturbing)

That's disgusting and I am glad that he got the sentence he did. But the "regret" part is BS. He regrets it now because he's going to most likely die in jail and won't be able to rape any more children ever. He definitely didn't regret it when he was raping that baby. Sick.

Glad he won't ever see the light of day. As to his parting comments, the childhood abuse may well be true but I don't buy the regret part. I think he regrets getting caught. And if he hadn't been, you can beleive he would still be out there victimizing that child or another like him.

tlcox--The only reason I pointed it out is that I live the daily fear that one of my children who were raped could commit a crime due to their trauma, their early losses, and neglectful childhoods before coming to us. Not all my children are certain as to what is right or wrong, up or down. I vividly remember my husband and me taking each for their HIV/AIDS test. It was heart wrenching. Now I wish there was some way of testing to see if the "virus" of wanting to hurt others was passed on.

It has not gotten past me that studies are showing that some who are sexually abused seek out child *advertiser censored* with victims the same age of themselves at the time of their abuse. They're not sure if they are trying to "understand" better, are trying to desensitize the crime, or are somehow sexually stuck at that point in development.

Just a mother's ramble of worries.

tlcox--The only reason I pointed it out is that I live the daily fear that one of my children who were raped could commit a crime due to their trauma, their early losses, and neglectful childhoods before coming to us. Not all my children are certain as to what is right or wrong, up or down. I vividly remember my husband and me taking each for their HIV/AIDS test. It was heart wrenching. Now I wish there was some way of testing to see if the "virus" of wanting to hurt others was passed on.

It has not gotten past me that studies are showing that some who are sexually abused seek out child *advertiser censored* with victims the same age of themselves at the time of their abuse. They're not sure if they are trying to "understand" better, are trying to desensitize the crime, or are somehow sexually stuck at that point in development.

Missizzy you know I love you hun, my comment was not aimed in response to yours. I totally get where you are coming from and your concerns are not unfounded IMO. I was merely pointing out that in this perp's case while I think there may be some truth to his statement about what made him who he is, I believe he is no less a danger because of possible childhood abuse.

As a mother of adopted children with similar pasts...I have the same fears...so far they dont seem to remember anything, I hope that means they truly dont.....and intervention was timely.

I think I've finally learned my lesson than when the original post contains the word "disturbing" I had better steer clear. I struggle to suffer reading it if the victims had to suffer through the reality of it but some of this just is too much for me.

I know there are studies saying such and such but long as I live I will never understand how someone who was abused themselves can justify doing it to another person, I just cant. I know their thinking must be broken and disturbed but I just cant comprehend it.

tlcox--I fully realize that your post wasn't aimed at mine. There's a part of me that responds viscerally just as you did. And then I stop and think about what childhood sexual abuse does to the psyche. All day long, we post and read about "stolen innocence". Well, innocence doesn't grow back. No more than an arm blown off with a gunshot. We're putting this man away for the rest of his life. That's a hefty sentence. It validates the damage he's done. And that damage doesn't always heal. A sense of safety can be achieved but something, deep inside, will always be askew. Putting him away is only half the story. The other half is healing the hurt child.

As one who was blessed not to have been abused in any way, I really can only imagine the pain. I've seen it in my children's eyes but I can't fully know. Of course, I want the man put away. He should have known better. His own pain should have taught him that what he was doing was horribly wrong. But the fact is, it didn't. If his story is true, he was so damaged that he lashed out to hurt again. Many others commit suicide or drown their pain with a variety of vices.

As to why the abuse repeats, I think the same thing could be said for watching a parent die a horrible death due to drug use or alcoholism and then following the same path. I applaud the strong that choose the higher path. They give me hope and I pray to God that my children are among that group. But many who are damaged and hurt aren't strong. JMO

(((hugs)))

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back