1132 users online (236 members and 896 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,319

    200 cows found dead in Wisconson

    Wow, first birds, then fish, now cows. It's being blamed on a possible virus, but note the comment under the story...
    In comments section: 'As a beef farmer for 35 years I'm not buying this garbage...........period! It is almost 100% impossible!!! This is definitly a "cover up" and it probably has something to do with the thousands of birds that dropped out of the sky all at once in Arkansas a week or so ago!!"

    I have to agree...seems pretty improbable

    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/chi-a...,6706697.story

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    954
    OK, I'm starting to get a wee bit freaked out.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,859
    http://www.northplattebulletin.com/i...0133&pageID=29

    The official word is that the cows died from "IBR/BVD" (Infectious bovine rhinotracheitis/bovine viral diarrhea) virus. I find several aspects of this interesting:

    1. Most of the articles I have found state that "samples from the cows have been sent to Madison, WI for testing" - then how do they already know what caused the deaths?

    2. Most of the articles I have found also state "Authorities say there is no threat to humans or other animals" - When did the farmer last see his cows? If a virus is powerful enough to kill 100 cows all at the same time, then of course, it seems logical to think it is a threat to other animals! It is obviously a highly contagious and lethal virus.

    The information below is from this scientific article (I have tried to summarize it):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2491/

    Apparently, there are three clinical conditions that can occur from this virus in cattle.

    1. congenital persistent infection - The cows are born with it. They generally demonstrate a "failure to thrive" type of situation, and often die before they are 1 year old. Those that do not appear sick at birth, may survive for several years.

    2. mucosal disease - This condition also follows cows that are born with the virus and remain infected. The disease was first reported in 1953 and is "a highly fatal disease of cattle". There is an acute (rapid) and chronic (slower) version of the disease. The acute form results in animals that may have "pyrexia, anorexia, lethargy, hypersalivation, mucopurulent nasal discharge, profuse watery diarrhea containing mucus and fresh or clotted blood, dehydration, erosive lesions of the nares and oral cavity, mucosal erosions and ulcerations of the gastrointestinal tract, and death within days of onset of clinical disease." The chronic (slower) form of the disease results in cattle that are obviously unhealthy, possibly lame, and have hair loss and thickening of the skin (hyperkeratinization). Quote from linked article: "Acute or chronic mucosal disease usually occurs in cattle younger than 3 years of age". So..... were all these cows under 3 years of age and obviously not doing well prior to their death?

    3. acute bovine viral diarrhea - This is where it gets interesting. Most infections with the diarrhea version of this virus (BVDV) are rather mild and happen when a cow is exposed to the virus AFTER it is born - so it can happen in older cows. Most of these infections are pretty mild. From the linked artilce the symptoms "are limited to slight elevation in body temperature, transient inappetence, leukopenia, transient decrease in milk production, and increased incidence of reproductive failure." There IS, however, a more virulent situation with this virus and this situation can "cause clinically severe disease manifested by high fever, depression, inappetence, diarrhea, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, hemorrhaging, dehydration, and death". MOO - this is why they are saying this virus caused the cattle deaths. This statement from the article summarizes why they are saying the "IBR/BVD" virus caused the deaths:

    "Few cattle are affected in an outbreak of mucosal disease and those cattle often are within 2 to 3 months of each other in age. In an outbreak of severe acute BVDV, numerous cattle may be affected, and those cattle may range in age from a few days to several years."

    Apparently, there is a way to vaccinate the animals against this disease and I would have thought the farmer would have done this. After my research thus far, I guess there is a possibility that the cows died from this virus, but it seems pretty odd for 100 of them to die all at once, and it seems odd that the public is told what the disease is before test results could possibly be back. All of this is purely my speculation based on the scientific article I linked. I intend to continue monitoring this situation as well as future possible similar occurrences.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36,313
    yuh huh!
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Reannan View Post
    http://www.northplattebulletin.com/i...0133&pageID=29

    The official word is that the cows died from "IBR/BVD" (Infectious bovine rhinotracheitis/bovine viral diarrhea) virus. I find several aspects of this interesting:

    1. Most of the articles I have found state that "samples from the cows have been sent to Madison, WI for testing" - then how do they already know what caused the deaths?

    2. Most of the articles I have found also state "Authorities say there is no threat to humans or other animals" - When did the farmer last see his cows? If a virus is powerful enough to kill 100 cows all at the same time, then of course, it seems logical to think it is a threat to other animals! It is obviously a highly contagious and lethal virus.

    The information below is from this scientific article (I have tried to summarize it):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2491/

    Apparently, there are three clinical conditions that can occur from this virus in cattle.

    1. congenital persistent infection - The cows are born with it. They generally demonstrate a "failure to thrive" type of situation, and often die before they are 1 year old. Those that do not appear sick at birth, may survive for several years.

    2. mucosal disease - This condition also follows cows that are born with the virus and remain infected. The disease was first reported in 1953 and is "a highly fatal disease of cattle". There is an acute (rapid) and chronic (slower) version of the disease. The acute form results in animals that may have "pyrexia, anorexia, lethargy, hypersalivation, mucopurulent nasal discharge, profuse watery diarrhea containing mucus and fresh or clotted blood, dehydration, erosive lesions of the nares and oral cavity, mucosal erosions and ulcerations of the gastrointestinal tract, and death within days of onset of clinical disease." The chronic (slower) form of the disease results in cattle that are obviously unhealthy, possibly lame, and have hair loss and thickening of the skin (hyperkeratinization). Quote from linked article: "Acute or chronic mucosal disease usually occurs in cattle younger than 3 years of age". So..... were all these cows under 3 years of age and obviously not doing well prior to their death?

    3. acute bovine viral diarrhea - This is where it gets interesting. Most infections with the diarrhea version of this virus (BVDV) are rather mild and happen when a cow is exposed to the virus AFTER it is born - so it can happen in older cows. Most of these infections are pretty mild. From the linked artilce the symptoms "are limited to slight elevation in body temperature, transient inappetence, leukopenia, transient decrease in milk production, and increased incidence of reproductive failure." There IS, however, a more virulent situation with this virus and this situation can "cause clinically severe disease manifested by high fever, depression, inappetence, diarrhea, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, hemorrhaging, dehydration, and death". MOO - this is why they are saying this virus caused the cattle deaths. This statement from the article summarizes why they are saying the "IBR/BVD" virus caused the deaths:

    "Few cattle are affected in an outbreak of mucosal disease and those cattle often are within 2 to 3 months of each other in age. In an outbreak of severe acute BVDV, numerous cattle may be affected, and those cattle may range in age from a few days to several years."

    Apparently, there is a way to vaccinate the animals against this disease and I would have thought the farmer would have done this. After my research thus far, I guess there is a possibility that the cows died from this virus, but it seems pretty odd for 100 of them to die all at once, and it seems odd that the public is told what the disease is before test results could possibly be back. All of this is purely my speculation based on the scientific article I linked. I intend to continue monitoring this situation as well as future possible similar occurrences.
    Excellent followup info...thanks. Although I often think my husband is a bit "out there" with some of his observations, he still thinks the HAARP testing is a contender for all we're seeing. He thinks the coincidence of that mystery rocket launch on the west coast about a month or so ago... that no agency will claim...and all the wildlife deaths is just too much to not speculate on. His thought is that the U.S. is concerned with all the conflict worldwide and is working to develop its missile defense. I'm not sure about that, but I do agree with him that whatever is happening seems unnatural.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Fr...search_Program
    Last edited by KateB; 06-09-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    Excellent followup info...thanks. Although I often think my husband is a bit "out there" with some of his observations, he still thinks the HAARP testing is a contender for all we're seeing. He thinks the coincidence of that mystery rocket launch on the west coast about a month or so ago... that no agency will claim...and all the wildlife deaths is just too much to not speculate on. His thought is that the U.S. is concerned with all the conflict worldwide and is working to develop its missile defense. I'm not sure about that, but I do agree with him that whatever is happening is unnatural.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Fr...search_Program
    BBM: I had forgotten about that!!! HAARP has worried me for a long, long time. You compare all of this with the other thread about the ability to make it rain in the dessert, and you have a science fiction novel on your hands - except we are not living in a fiction novel! Something is REALLY strange in our real-life world!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,319
    Yeah, I know...really strange. And, you're right. The weather changing falls right in line with HAARP.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a place called Vertigo
    Posts
    17,676
    Scary stuff to me. First birds, then fish, now Cows.
    I don't want to even suggest What or Who might be next?????


    Goz

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,725
    http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.co...-Stockton-farm
    200 dead cows found on town of Stockton farm
    By Cara Spoto • For the Daily Tribune • January 15, 2011

    According to a Portage County Sheriff's Department news release, deputies were dispatched to the town just after 1 p.m. Friday after they were notified of numerous dead cows lying in a field in the 8000 block of Fourth Avenue.
    Neither the sheriff's department sergeant who wrote the news release nor the humane society officer who took the farmer's statement could be reached for comment Friday evening when information about the incident was released to the media.
    http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/2...113829069.html
    Updated: 11:10 PM Jan 15, 2011

    200 Cows Die in Portage County
    Investigators are working to determine what caused the death of 200 cows in Portage County.
    Posted: 9:57 PM Jan 15, 2011
    Reporter: Jennifer Kliese

    The 200 dead cattle were discovered on a farm field on 4th street in Amherst. Today, the bodies were taken out in semi-loads to be disposed of.

    The Portage County Sheriff's Department says the animals died of a virus that causes respiratory and reproductive problems.

    The owner has been working with a veterinarian, who couldn't be reached for comment today. Samples from the dead animals have been sent to Madison for testing.
    ~video at link

    How do you determine cause of death before the samples are back
    They only found them Friday but they already decided it was a virus, but waited two days to haul them away and no one has any comment.....hmmmmmm.

    4th st, Amherst, Wisconsin - Google Maps

    Lots of lakes.
    Last edited by KateB; 06-09-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    My posts and their content are MY OPINION unless I have provided a link
    and are not to be copied and pasted to other sites or pages without my permission.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,725

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Reannan View Post
    http://www.northplattebulletin.com/i...0133&pageID=29

    The official word is that the cows died from "IBR/BVD" (Infectious bovine rhinotracheitis/bovine viral diarrhea) virus. I find several aspects of this interesting:

    1. Most of the articles I have found state that "samples from the cows have been sent to Madison, WI for testing" - then how do they already know what caused the deaths?

    2. Most of the articles I have found also state "Authorities say there is no threat to humans or other animals" - When did the farmer last see his cows? If a virus is powerful enough to kill 100 cows all at the same time, then of course, it seems logical to think it is a threat to other animals! It is obviously a highly contagious and lethal virus.

    The information below is from this scientific article (I have tried to summarize it):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2491/

    Apparently, there are three clinical conditions that can occur from this virus in cattle.

    1. congenital persistent infection - The cows are born with it. They generally demonstrate a "failure to thrive" type of situation, and often die before they are 1 year old. Those that do not appear sick at birth, may survive for several years.

    2. mucosal disease - This condition also follows cows that are born with the virus and remain infected. The disease was first reported in 1953 and is "a highly fatal disease of cattle". There is an acute (rapid) and chronic (slower) version of the disease. The acute form results in animals that may have "pyrexia, anorexia, lethargy, hypersalivation, mucopurulent nasal discharge, profuse watery diarrhea containing mucus and fresh or clotted blood, dehydration, erosive lesions of the nares and oral cavity, mucosal erosions and ulcerations of the gastrointestinal tract, and death within days of onset of clinical disease." The chronic (slower) form of the disease results in cattle that are obviously unhealthy, possibly lame, and have hair loss and thickening of the skin (hyperkeratinization). Quote from linked article: "Acute or chronic mucosal disease usually occurs in cattle younger than 3 years of age". So..... were all these cows under 3 years of age and obviously not doing well prior to their death?

    3. acute bovine viral diarrhea - This is where it gets interesting. Most infections with the diarrhea version of this virus (BVDV) are rather mild and happen when a cow is exposed to the virus AFTER it is born - so it can happen in older cows. Most of these infections are pretty mild. From the linked artilce the symptoms "are limited to slight elevation in body temperature, transient inappetence, leukopenia, transient decrease in milk production, and increased incidence of reproductive failure." There IS, however, a more virulent situation with this virus and this situation can "cause clinically severe disease manifested by high fever, depression, inappetence, diarrhea, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, hemorrhaging, dehydration, and death". MOO - this is why they are saying this virus caused the cattle deaths. This statement from the article summarizes why they are saying the "IBR/BVD" virus caused the deaths:

    "Few cattle are affected in an outbreak of mucosal disease and those cattle often are within 2 to 3 months of each other in age. In an outbreak of severe acute BVDV, numerous cattle may be affected, and those cattle may range in age from a few days to several years."

    Apparently, there is a way to vaccinate the animals against this disease and I would have thought the farmer would have done this. After my research thus far, I guess there is a possibility that the cows died from this virus, but it seems pretty odd for 100 of them to die all at once, and it seems odd that the public is told what the disease is before test results could possibly be back. All of this is purely my speculation based on the scientific article I linked. I intend to continue monitoring this situation as well as future possible similar occurrences.
    Wow, thanks for that Reannan. Great analysis. I wonder if they found a lot of blood and/or diarrhea and some ulcers and simply concluded that yep it's the virus.....the birds were having clotting disorders. More information is needed.
    Last edited by IWannaKnow; 01-17-2011 at 02:44 AM.
    My posts and their content are MY OPINION unless I have provided a link
    and are not to be copied and pasted to other sites or pages without my permission.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,859
    As part of my job, I work with Infectious Diseases (mainly sexually transmitted ones - HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis, etc. ) and I subscribe to an emerging infectious disease listserv. Here is the first comment I have seen on the listserv about the cattle deaths (BBM):

    [Infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR) is a highly contagious, infectious
    disease that is caused by bovine herpesvirus-1 (BHV-1). In addition to
    causing respiratory disease, this virus can cause conjunctivitis,
    abortions, encephalitis, and generalized systemic infections. IBR was
    originally recognized during the early 1950s in feeder cattle in the
    western United States. The IBR virus can persist in clinically recovered
    animals for years. The virus remains inactive until the animal is placed
    under stress. The virus is shed in secretions from the eye nose and
    reproductive organs. The clinical diseases caused by the virus can be
    grouped into: 1) respiratory tract infections 2) eye infections 3)
    abortions 4) genital infections 5) brain infections 6) generalized
    infections of newborn calves.

    Bovine viral diarrhea (BVD) is a viral disease of cattle and other
    ruminants that is caused by the bovine viral diarrhea virus (BVDV). BVDV is
    a member of the pestivirus genus. There are 4 recognized species within the
    pestivirus genus.

    The clinical signs of BVDV are highly variable, including a spectrum from
    few to no signs to very severe signs that kill the animal. The signs can be
    determined by the genotype of the virus, whether the infection was recently
    acquired (that is, acute) or has been acquired for months (that is,
    chronic), whether the animal is pregnant, as well as other factors. Some of
    the signs of acute infection are fever, lethargy, loss of appetite, ocular
    discharge, nasal discharge, oral lesions, diarrhea, and decreasing milk
    production. Chronic infection may lead to signs of mucosal disease.

    These 2 diseases are often in a complex called mucosal diseases. These
    diseases seem to have more impact in cold weather.

    There is not enough information in this article to speculate beyond this.
    We hope a definitive report will be available soon.


    Portions of this comment have been extracted from
    <http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/emergingissues/downloads/bvdinfosheet.pdf>
    and
    <http://www.ansci.wisc.edu/jjp1/ansci_repro/lab/diseases_2002/IBR.html>

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In the cooooold!
    Posts
    4,633
    Quote Originally Posted by IWannaKnow View Post
    http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.co...-Stockton-farm
    200 dead cows found on town of Stockton farm
    By Cara Spoto • For the Daily Tribune • January 15, 2011





    http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/2...113829069.html
    Updated: 11:10 PM Jan 15, 2011

    200 Cows Die in Portage County
    Investigators are working to determine what caused the death of 200 cows in Portage County.
    Posted: 9:57 PM Jan 15, 2011
    Reporter: Jennifer Kliese



    ~video at link

    How do you determine cause of death before the samples are back
    They only found them Friday but they already decided it was a virus, but waited two days to haul them away and no one has any comment.....hmmmmmm.

    4th st, Amherst, Wisconsin - Google Maps

    Lots of lakes.
    Yes, lot's of water out this way.
    Gotta say tho, it's not "normal" for 200 cows to die at the same time at the same farm.
    Something is happening and it's not,imo, good.

    Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36,313
    what disturbs me is that we have no reports of others falling ill or dropping dead at this farm. It seems very unusual to me that cows who are infected with this disease would all drop dead the same day with none prior, and none reported since.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    507
    I would like to believe some of these explainations but I just cant get my mind to go there. Really freaking me out about now...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,317
    You guys are going to think I have lost my mind, but lets see if this goes back to this farmer intentionally making these cows sick. I honestly believe someone did!

    Does this farmer have insurance that would benefit him? I know there is such a thing as crop insurance, so could there have been some sort of insurance on these cows??

    Here I am - the nonbeliever!!! LOL!
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Found Alive TX - Christine Woo (fnd dec'd), 39, & 3 kids, Frisco, 28 March 2016
    By SCHMAE in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 607
    Last Post: 04-27-2016, 08:00 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 04:50 PM
  3. WI Man has sex with COWS!
    By golfmom in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 06:29 PM
  4. Sex with Cows
    By BldWhtRose in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:41 AM