The Best Justice Money Can Buy

BBB167893

Former Member
Reaction score
I guess the title pretty much says it all, doesn't it? I mean, it's nothing we don't already know, right? We know that if this had been some working-class family, no one would have wasted time with kid gloves. They'd be clapped into prison and likely given a death sentence, provided their public defender couldn't get a plea deal.

But this WASN'T a working-class family with a public defender. This was a wealthy, important couple who could afford the most powerful lawyer in the state: Hal Haddon, a personal friend of then-president Bill Clinton and a man who exemplifies the fact that a defense lawyer's duty is to his client, not the truth. THIS is what the DA's office had to contend with. A DA's office that hadn't taken a case to trial in TEN YEARS AND was business partners with Haddon, to boot. Who would you bet on?

There are some people here and there who are brazen enough to say that money had nothing to do with what happened to this case. Quite frankly, that's a JOKE, and a BAD one. So, on the off-chance that said people are reading this, there's something I think you should know about Mr. Haddon that might take some of his "hero" glow off.

Do you know what the motto of Haddon's law firm is? "Reasonable doubt for a reasonable fee".

And they are quite open about this! It is posted in the conference room and on the flag by the backyard pool at the office. (I'll let the notion of a law office with a freaking SWIMMING POOL in the backyard sink in a minute!)

Classy motto.

If this is the case, it's no wonder there's no more money left in the kitty.
I have a friend with leukemia who is on a drug which doesn't actually cure his cancer, it just keeps it within manageable levels. The drug isn't on our Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (whereby the Govt subsidises it), so a fair chunk of his salary goes to keeping him alive.

I guess JR is suffering from the legal version of my friend's leukemia.

Opinion starts here -->> If we are all going to be honest about this case, I think you're absolutely correct. They should've been charged.

If it was a family who was less wealthy and/or had less connections, they would've been charged.

The handwriting evidence + fiber evidence + vague and ever changing stories + no real alibi should've been enough to charge these two.

People have been tried, convicted and executed on less.

That being said, the world is not fair. That's the reality.

People get away with stuff all the time because of who they are and who they know.

So what if the R's gamed the system and won? They might have escaped prison, but in the eyes of most, they remain killers.

Not really the best reputation to carry around forever, don't you think?

I guess the title pretty much says it all, doesn't it? I mean, it's nothing we don't already know, right? We know that if this had been some working-class family, no one would have wasted time with kid gloves. They'd be clapped into prison and likely given a death sentence, provided their public defender couldn't get a plea deal.

But this WASN'T a working-class family with a public defender. This was a wealthy, important couple who could afford the most powerful lawyer in the state: Hal Haddon, a personal friend of then-president Bill Clinton and a man who exemplifies the fact that a defense lawyer's duty is to his client, not the truth. THIS is what the DA's office had to contend with. A DA's office that hadn't taken a case to trial in TEN YEARS AND was business partners with Haddon, to boot. Who would you bet on?

There are some people here and there who are brazen enough to say that money had nothing to do with what happened to this case. Quite frankly, that's a JOKE, and a BAD one. So, on the off-chance that said people are reading this, there's something I think you should know about Mr. Haddon that might take some of his "hero" glow off.

Do you know what the motto of Haddon's law firm is? "Reasonable doubt for a reasonable fee".

And they are quite open about this! It is posted in the conference room and on the flag by the backyard pool at the office. (I'll let the notion of a law office with a freaking SWIMMING POOL in the backyard sink in a minute!)

Opinion starts here -->> If we are all going to be honest about this case, I think you're absolutely correct. They should've been charged.

If it was a family who was less wealthy and/or had less connections, they would've been charged.

The handwriting evidence + fiber evidence + vague and ever changing stories + no real alibi should've been enough to charge these two.

People have been tried, convicted and executed on less.

That being said, the world is not fair. That's the reality.

Agreed with EVERYTHING, 100%

People get away with stuff all the time because of who they are and who they know.

Yeah. "And justice for all." What a joke.

So what if the R's gamed the system and won? They might have escaped prison, but in the eyes of most, they remain killers.

Not really the best reputation to carry around forever, don't you think?

Nope. They knew they got away with nothing, especially if there's any truth to what they taught me in Sunday School.

It's interesting. Alex Hunter all but said that the reason he didn't prosecute was because he believed that Patsy had suffered enough. Well, that's a very nice sentiment--one which I am not altogether opposed to--but that's not his call to make. Last I checked, only GOD can make that call.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back