VA - James Edward Reid executed for murder of Annie Lester, 87

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
JARRATT, Va. (AP) — A man who killed an elderly woman with a metal can and a pair of scissors in a drunken attack eight years ago was executed Thursday by injection. James Edward Reid, 58, was pronounced dead at Greensville Correctional Center at 9:12 p.m.

The intravenous line carrying the lethal dose of drugs was placed in Reid's upper groin because veins in his arms, where IV lines are usually placed, apparently had deteriorated from years of drinking.

It took medical technicians 12 minutes, three times longer than usual, to place the IV lines.

"I forgive you for what you are doing, but I don't forgive you for what you think or what you feel or what you say or what you do," Reid said when asked if he had a final statement. "I forgive you because God has forgiven me."

Reid killed Annie Lester, 87, in her home on Oct. 12, 1996. She was stabbed 22 times with the scissors and struck in the head with a can of condensed milk, according to court documents.

Reid, an alcoholic, was seen leaving the area of Lester's home with blood on his jacket. A witness said he smelled like a "brewery." He was convicted in 1997 of capital murder, attempted rape and attempted robbery.

Earlier Thursday, the Supreme Court rejected Reid's final appeal.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2004/0910/drunkenattack_ap.html

Too bad they can't all go that quickly. I certainly hope that he did indeed make his peace with God.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefdartz
Back