Identified! CA - North Hollywood, WhtFem 783UFCA, 22-32, webbed toes, Jun'78 Rebecca J Wilenius

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The LA County Coroner has posted to NamUs a Facial reconstruction for this 1978 Jane Doe Case.

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 1423
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/783ufca.html
NamUs UP Case 4426 https://identifyus.org/cases/4426

2488058890045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on June 23, 1978 in Los Angeles County, California
* Estimated Date of Death: 1978

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 22-32 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"; 115 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Red/Auburn hair; hazel/green eyes. The second and third toes on each foot are webbed together to the last joint. Decedent has given birth in the past.
* Clothing: 1 silver band with orange color trim, 1 yellow metal floral design ring. Navy blue jacket with red linning, medium size. Light blue jeans with red, white and blue horizontal stripes on rear pockets. Medium brown leather boots, size 6 or 7. Black short sleeve pullover blouse with pink floral design.
* Fingerprints: Available
* Dentals: Available

Case History
The victim was located on a remote hillside in the north Hollywood are of Los Angeles County, California on June 23, 1978.
The victim died of strangulation and suffocation.

I was thinking of the hillside stranglers (Kenneth Bianchi and Angelo Buono). But Alcala's M.O. was strangulation also.

Both Alcala and Bianchi/Buono operated in the San Fernando Valley (Where North Hollywood is located) during 1978.

However, they typically left their victims naked.
That was the right timeframe for the Hillside Stranglers, but there was also a photographer William Bradford, who was also operating in the Valley/L.A. at the time and killing women too...

You are right, Alcala left his victims nude and severely beaten, also.
Could there be details about this Jane Doe that they haven't released to the public?

I was thinking of the hillside stranglers (Kenneth Bianchi and Angelo Buono). But Alcala's M.O. was strangulation also.

Both Alcala and Bianchi/Buono operated in the San Fernando Valley (Where North Hollywood is located) during 1978.

However, they typically left their victims naked.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2844dfca.html

Marilyn Denise Waltz
waltz_marilyn.jpg

What do you think about this one? Never posted a link before so I hope this works!! :floorlaugh:

Or this girl?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/350dfon.html

Mary Francis Gregory
gregory_mary.jpg

For the doe On the listing it states Green/Hazel Eyes yet on the sketch it states blue eyes! I wonder which one is correct?

I saw Marilyn Waltz on my screen earlier, and thought she looked like a fairly decent possible. I hadn't considered Mary Gregory, but she also fits reasonably close to the description.

I also was looking at Mary Stuart.
stuart_mary.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/images/s/stuart_mary.jpg

I decided against Mary Stuart because the circumstances of her disappearing in Northern California with her car abandoned in the woods and groceries on the seat didn't seem to jibe with her being dumped on a hillside in the San Fernando Valley.

None of the three have a close enough resemblance to Jane Doe though IMO, and I don't see any indication that Mary Gregory or Marilyn Waltz had children (although they might have neglected to mention it).

I thought Mary Gregory looked most like the reconstruction - cheeks and chin as well as nose looked quite similar to me BUT i'm very, very new at this and on a steep learning curve!!

Feel free to correct me, disagree with me, advise me, assist me etc; - it's all appreciated! I've had a keen interest in missing persons since I was a teenager. I have only very recently discovered websleuths and become a member so I'm not very "clued in" just yet. :waitasec:

JMHO

I agree re Connie. I had her & Elizabeth up yesterday flicking between the 3 screens & the only reason why i didn't add her was because of the hair & eye colour. Now they are both up Connie does look more likely but there is still something about Elizabeth i can't put my finger on. I found this thread yesterday looking for matches to CAve Junction Annie Doe.

I hope this doesn't sound silly asking but do eyes return to blue in death like they can change from when we are babies?

Being relatively new, should we submit either of these women to see if we have identified this woman & help her family? Its mothers day here today in Oz. Just makes me think of their families.

Elizabeth is not listed in NamUs.

Connie is in NamUs, and she has a DNA profile.

The UID has a DNA profile, but it is insufficient for profiling, so it wouldn't appear that either of them can be ruled out by virtue of the absence of a CODIS hit.

You are awesome Carl! It says that fingerprints were run but no match in 1978 & this decedent had had a pregnancy at some point. Been sitting here on a sunday afternoon in Oz googling locations, reading about Codis, DNA etc. Just learn so much being on here. My teenage son thinks i am loopy wanting to help but i just cannot image how hard it must be for families to go through life not knowing what has happened to someone they love or for someone to think that no-one cares.

I just created a NamUs casefile for Elizabeth Byron. When it is published, it will be MP Case 20248.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/20248/0

I feel sort of mean bringing this up, but I created a NamUs case file for Elizabeth Byron last year (and it still isn't published). https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17693/60/

I don't know if it is ok to quote from it because it is not yet published, but they don't have a DNA sample for Ms. Byron. They don't have dentals or fingerprints. Hopefully, if you had information about her disappearance that I didn't (I really didn't have much info at all) they will combine the two? Maybe now that you entered her, too, her file will get published?

I have only entered two cases from Ventura County into NamUs, and, although its been since last year, neither of them (Elizabeth Byron and Peter Laan) have been published. Actually, someone marked Mr. Laan's case
***case is NOT to be published at this time***
Since he is still missing, I don't know why they would do this.

There aren't very many UIDs for Ventura County on NamUs, either, which makes me wonder if they either just started using NamUs or aren't enthusiastic about using it?

Sorry. I feel really mean. :couch:

Don't feel mean! Nothing came up in a search so it was created. If there is a reason for not publishing then hopefully they will see what we have all suggested & if they have dna etc then they can do what they need to do. At the end of the day, if someone has closure thats all that matters :)

Don't feel mean! Nothing came up in a search so it was created. If there is a reason for not publishing then hopefully they will see what we have all suggested & if they have dna etc then they can do what they need to do. At the end of the day, if someone has closure thats all that matters :)

Thanks. I couldn't figure out why they didn't want Peter Laan's case published, but that makes sense (that they are already working on a possible match).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McKeith
Back