1348 users online (248 members and 1100 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Where will the jury come from?

What city or area of Florida do you think the jury will be selected from?

I think Judge Perry will look to the West Coast of Florida. I do not think he will go anywhere on the East Coast - Jacksonville down to the Keys.
    My best guess would be Clearwater, Naples, that area.

I'd like to know what everyone else thinks, especially my fellow Florida Tax payers!
    Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.
    Euripides

I'm betting the Panhandle.

Good question!

I'm wondering if he might mix it up. Get jurors from one county one day and another county another day. I don't think he will go to Miami as the defense wants nor will they go into Daytona Beach, where GA went for his sympathetic suicide mission...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

My guess is Florida West Coast as well. Lots of small rural communities in that area which to me would be the best chance to pull an impartial jury.

I'm really hoping South Florida, like Miami, since Baez thinks they all love him down there and will set Casey free (remember that whole highest ranked Hispanic lawyer thing he was so proud of at one time?). I would LOVE that! Probably won't happen, but a girl can dream...

Snaz is offline "Heavens to Habeas Corpus" ~ Legal Eagle Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by faefrost View Post
    I'm betting the Panhandle.
    I think they will be selected from the Panhandle area, as well..... maybe Tallahassee.
    "Judge, Mr, Ashton is laughing at me..... " ~ Jose Baez, Closing Argument 7/3/11 (Paraphrased, of course!)

I would say the Panhandle or the SouthWest Florida
    Certain areas of South Florida and North East Florida are a possibility

IMO OUT would included
    Central Florida is Out
    Central East such as Volusia and Brevard is Out
    Central West-Tampa area is Out
    ----------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

--Niccolo Machiavelli"

I'd say all areas that receive Orlando's tv stations out.(Marion, Volusia, Brevard, Lake, Orange, Seminole) I think North Florida is good.

I'm thinking panhandle, specifically to include Tallahassee (I HOPE!!) Oh how I would love to be one of those jurors.

I think the panhandle, too. DH chatted with one of the Orange Co judges when he was in court a couple of years ago and that judge, when he discovered where we lived, opined about what a good, solid, community-based area this is ~ of course we think he's right. I'm hoping that might be a wide-held opinion amongst the judges in Orange Co. I think our Destin area is too small but maybe Pensacola would be in the running since it is a larger city and would compare to the Orlando demographics better.

What's a good prize for the poster who guesses right? Could we get a season-ticket, reserved seat at the trial?
    The heart of the pure can see, but my eyes have never seen the unicorn . . .

Red face

I also believe that a jury will be chosen from a Gulf Coast county. I also believe that they will go to a County with a population of over 200,000 people.

These population estimates are from the 2009 census estimate.

Monroe County - estimated 70,000 - 80,000 population. Besides the Florida Keys, it is smack-dab in the middle of the Everglades. A big NO!

Collier County - 350,000 plus population. Naples, Immokalee area. Diverse nationalities. Diverse age groups. Good possibility.

Lee County - high 500,000 to low 600,000 population. Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Bonita Springs, Lehigh area. I do not believe they will pick a jury from this location because George has family here. If George did not have family here, I believe Judge Perry would have chosen this location... and maybe he still will?

Charlotte County - 150,000 -170,000 population. Charlotte County may be an exception to the over 200,000 population? I would still keep them in the running.

Sarasota County - 350,000 plus population. A good chance.

Manatee County - estimated 320,000 population. This is my guess. It's the closest to Orange County without getting too close.

I do not believe that they will go to Hillsborough, Pasco, Hernando, Citrus, or Marion. Too close to Orange County.

The only counties to the North of Orange County that are on the Gulf Coast that I believe could be chosen is Escambia County.

Of course this is all just my opinion.

I'm from California and have never been to Florida, so I can't even begin to make an educated guess about which county the jury will be selected from. But, I think this is an interesting aspect of the case.

I agree with Sparky that it won't be a county that receives Orange County television coverage.

No matter what county the judge selects, it will be almost impossible to find a prospective juror who doesn't know something about this case. Just about everyone has access to CNN and Fox News who've had coverage. Nancy Grace, Larry King, and Greta Van Susteran have large viewing audiences and have covered this case. ABC News has had coverage and interviews with the Anthonys. There's been newspaper coverage, but probably limited outside of the Orange County area. Of course, anyone who wanted to know more.......the Internet has had wide coverage through various forums.

I'm sure there will be jurors who do have knowledge of this case, and the relevant question will be if they can sit on the jury and fairly judge this case on the evidence presented without any bias.
    My posts are my opinion..........

Quote Originally Posted by JDzWife View Post
    I'm thinking panhandle, specifically to include Tallahassee (I HOPE!!) Oh how I would love to be one of those jurors.
    Hey, you need to keep that info quiet, on the downlow ~ shhhhh.......

Pensacola to Orlando = about 6 hr. drive, right? Too far.

During the hearing where jury selection was discussed, Judge Perry used the term "bring the jurors OVER". I live near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We go OVER to Harrisburg and we go UP TO Erie. We go DOWN TO Uniontown (located south of Pittsburgh). These "phrases" are all based on North, South, East, West looking at a map.

The only exceptions I can think of around here is that we may talk about going UP TO the Laurel Mountain area - which is east of here, but it is up in the mountains.

So, my question is where would you come from to be brought OVER to Orlando? Do you go OVER to Ft. Meyers or DOWN TO Ft. Meyers?

I agree with Lola on her one location of Sarasota/Venice area.

Though it is a highly retired age area, this would give the first needed requirement of "no hardship", a pass and a go.

Also, there is a good size of younger, family people that are self employeed, etc, that could possibly get away, since they are involved in working from home via the internet, though, would not have kept up with the happenings of the case.
    Our ex-daughter in law is an example of a work at home business woman, conducting all her work on line ~
    And they would have diverse, since many have retired in this area from all over the country.

So, we'll see........
    Last edited by Purple Iris; 01-21-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast