State's Motion for Petition of Writ of Habeas Corpus Ad Testificadum

TotallyObsessed

Reaction score
Help...what is this??? Who are they talking about? Did I miss discussion on this? It's in the news thread for today.

If this is a dupe, please delete Mods.

ETA: I got beside myself when I saw this and thought it had to do with KC. Maybe is Robyn or Myra.

I think it's asking to have an incarcerated person released temporarily to testify??? Not sure.

"testificadum" is an awesome word, whatever this motion is. Oh Latin, how I wish I had learned you!

Wikipedia: Habeas corpus ad testificandum: a writ ordering return with the body of a prisoner for the purposes of “testifying”.

I'm thinking it must be the inmate she corresponded with. The one who said Casey admitted chloroforming Caylee frequently. Maybe the SA feels the jury will find her credible notwithstanding the fact she's in prison????

I have a feeling the State have begun sending out subpoenas for all their listed witnesses.
Likely this Writ of Habeas Corpus is for Robyn Adams. I dont think the State will or ever planned to use Mya Dercovitch. But Robyn would be needed to corroborate the Muffin letters. And there is some interesting and imo incriminating stuff in those.......... notably Casey Anthony's claim that she had asked Zenaida to take Caylee for a few days.......or version three of the Zanny BS

It wouldn't be the first time a criminal was called to testify in a case. And sometimes it is effective. As much as a defense attorney can tear that witness down, ultimately it comes to what they say and if it can be corroborated. Maybe this witness is just a corroboration to something else someone else might say.

That's the only thing I can think of!

krisskross, that's what I'm thinking (didn't see your post) about corroboration.

But they may be wanting Mya to testify. Maybe they feel it's worth the risk.

Has to be one of her 'pen pal prison buddys' cause the constitution covers self incrimination.

Sounds yummy - where is AZLawyer when we need her!

:waitasec: I did find this:
Writ of Habeas Corpus
A writ of habeas corpus orders the custodian of an individual in custody to produce the individual before the court to make an inquiry concerning his or her detention, to appear for prosecution (ad prosequendum) or to appear to testify (ad testificandum). State courts may issue such writs to prisoner custodians to produce federal prisoners.

http://www.justice.gov/marshals/process/habeas.htm

krisskross, that's what I'm thinking (didn't see your post) about corroboration.

But they may be wanting Mya to testify. Maybe they feel it's worth the risk.

Jenny, you might be right. But the State's case was always a strong one.
And I for one dont believe Casey Anthony admitted to chloroforming Caylee whilst vent talking. The letters on the other hand are in her own hand therefore 100 % self incriminating.

"Prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick made the request.

Perry granted the order, and also notified Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings of his action."

http://www.wesh.com/caseyanthony/26572682/detail.html

Very cool. I love the way he makes things so official and moves it forward.

Wonder why the name of the inmate isn't in the motion? Or is it? Maybe because it's an inmate there are special protections set in place not to reveal their names until the day they testify. Makes sense as there could be retribution (for some) in prison. Not in this case necessarily but I imagine it could get squirrely for some (like mob cases).

Very cool. I love the way he makes things so official and moves it forward.

Wonder why the name of the inmate isn't in the motion? Or is it? Maybe because it's an inmate there are special protections set in place not to reveal their names until the day they testify. Makes sense as there could be retribution (for some) in prison. Not in this case necessarily but I imagine it could get squirrely for some (like mob cases).

It's there. Along with her Federal Corrections ID number. :D

Yet another sign the SA is ready to rock and roll! I wonder if Baez has bothered to explain to Mason who Robyn is? (Weren't the crazy jailhouse letters before he came on to the case?)

Yet another sign the SA is ready to rock and roll! I wonder if Baez has bothered to explain to Mason who Robyn is? (Weren't the crazy jailhouse letters before he came on to the case?)

IIRC these letters were discussed at the end of her indigency hearing held March 18th, and right after Mason made his "trust me" debut and referred to the prosecutors as "ignorants".

J Strickland ruled they were not to be released until Baez had a chance to look them over. :floorlaugh: He gave Baez 15 days to file a motion. He never did.:waitasec:

So, the letters will come in! The defense will probably try to discredit Robyn with their own prisoner/witnesses... but they can't discredit Casey Anthony's own words in those letters.

Of course, if the defense wants to discredit information in the letters, they will have to show that Casey loves to tell big "whoppers" of lies.

I wouldn't be surprised if Robyn is only asked about how she and Casey came to exchange letters and introduce them into testimony.

Then, there would be nothing for the defense to cross her on. The prosecution doesn't need her to talk about what Casey told her, although it is pretty damning.

Does that make sense?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back