1337 users online (247 members and 1090 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IN - Jasmine Abbott, 14, Katelynn, 9, & Ryan Bennett, 4, slain, Austin, 21 Jan 2011

Three children and their mother who were found dead inside their partially burned house in southern Indiana had all been shot in the head, police said Saturday, with an internet rant tied to the woman drawing investigators' attention.

Results of a preliminary autopsy, conducted by the Kentucky Medical Examiner's Office, released Saturday revealed that Amanda Bennett, 30, had died from a gunshot wound to her head and smoke inhalation.
    The same causes of death were listed for her 9-year-old daughter, Katelynn Bennett. Jasmine Abbott -- 14 and also Amanda's biological daughter -- was killed by a gunshot wound to the head, as was the woman's 4-year-old son, Ryan Bennett.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/22/...ex.html?hpt=T1

From the same article:

Police are looking at an internet posting on the "Crothersville Forum," referring to a town near Austin, that mentions the late Amanda Bennett's husband by name. Two posts, both under the heading "Gone Forever," were published online Friday and contained urgent, heated language.
    One of the posts reads, in part: "it's time to take the pain away ... you got what u wanted no wife an no kids."

So this sounds more like a murder suicide. So very sad for these kids.

Why set the house on fire if it was a suicide? I wonder if the husband (or whoever) could have killed them, typed the message online pretending to be her, then set the house on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownRice View Post
    Why set the house on fire if it was a suicide? I wonder if the husband (or whoever) could have killed them, typed the message online pretending to be her, then set the house on fire.
    The fire part is throwing me off on the murder/suicide thing too. Very odd. imo

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy2441 View Post
    From the same article:

Police are looking at an internet posting on the "Crothersville Forum," referring to a town near Austin, that mentions the late Amanda Bennett's husband by name. Two posts, both under the heading "Gone Forever," were published online Friday and contained urgent, heated language.
    One of the posts reads, in part: "it's time to take the pain away ... you got what u wanted no wife an no kids."

So this sounds more like a murder suicide. So very sad for these kids.
    I read posts from the past two weeks from said forum. Employees of the same company bickering about each other regarding work ethic, home wrecking, affairs etc. Some very disturbing posts. A poster named "his wife" writes as though they are Amanda Bennett, though not confirmed.

I did place signifigance to the fact that the mother died of the gunshot wound and smoke inhalation, as did the younger daughter. It didn't mention this with the young boy or the older daughter. So this meant the 4 year old and 14 year old died first.

LE has not said whether there was a weapon found at the scene.

It should be very easy to verify whether Amanda Bennett posted those messages or someone else did.

Last night I did think about my post where I said it appeared to be a murder suicide. I was going to edit it out. But I couldn't because WS only lets you edit for a short time, I think it's an hour.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/brief...Indiana%20home

State Police have not released specific facts relating to the case, but neighbors told local reporters that the mother, Amanda Bennett, 30, killed her children before setting the house on fire and shooting herself.

They said Bennett was going through a messy divorce with her husband.
    “The truth is rarely pure and never simple.”~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenile View Post
    I read posts from the past two weeks from said forum. Employees of the same company bickering about each other regarding work ethic, home wrecking, affairs etc. Some very disturbing posts. A poster named "his wife" writes as though they are Amanda Bennett, though not confirmed.
    Do you have a link to this forum?

Never mind. I found the link to the posts:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/crot...UQ0OFFVSHQ/p23

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy2441 View Post
    I did place signifigance to the fact that the mother died of the gunshot wound and smoke inhalation, as did the younger daughter. It didn't mention this with the young boy or the older daughter. So this meant the 4 year old and 14 year old died first.

LE has not said whether there was a weapon found at the scene.

It should be very easy to verify whether Amanda Bennett posted those messages or someone else did.

Last night I did think about my post where I said it appeared to be a murder suicide. I was going to edit it out. But I couldn't because WS only lets you edit for a short time, I think it's an hour.
    But remember, died first does not necessarily mean shot first.

From the link:

"Sgt. Goodin won’t comment on whether a weapon was found at the home, but said the investigation starts and ends there, at 310 New York Street. Goodin said police are also checking into internet posts made hours before the four were found dead."

This statement stands out that LE isn't looking for a suspect, therefore a murder/suicide?
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

May these children rest in peace .

As it looks right now to me is that mom did this all herself, what a horrible and selfish thing to do.......
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Quote Originally Posted by BrownRice View Post
    Why set the house on fire if it was a suicide?
    To make sure her ex doesn't get a dime out of selling the house?

Very sad story.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    After reading some of those posts at Topix, all I can think is how pathetic. Those people sound like they're 12 and yet they're all working adults and many are parents. How sad.

As far as the mother, I don't feel sorry for her one bit. She's a selfish murderer. Those poor children. RIP kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast