How do pings work?

PMLsmom

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long a cell co. keeps ping records? I just found out today a co-worker's nephew is missing, and has been for almost a year...He is only listed on thecharleyproject (which I hope to change) and the only thing he had on him was his cell phone.​

Also, if the info. is still available - just who can request these records? How does one go about asking for the info? TIA for your help.

ETA - Will a cell still ping if it is on standby or is not on (given that everything else is in good working order)?​

Does anyone know how long a cell co. keeps ping records? I just found out today a co-worker's nephew is missing, and has been for almost a year...He is only listed on thecharleyproject (which I hope to change) and the only thing he had on him was his cell phone.​

Also, if the info. is still available - just who can request these records? How does one go about asking for the info? TIA for your help.​

ETA - Will a cell still ping if it is on standby or is not on (given that everything else is in good working order)?​

Hi PMLsmom :)

Good questions, we have some great members here, I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question on this or maybe you can contact the cell phone company about it too? Sorry I'm not more help. Have you started a thread on him in the Missing/Located board?

Also, if the info. is still available - just who can request these records? How does one go about asking for the info? TIA for your help.

As far as I know, it depends on the cell co as to how long they keep records. But there is a minimum amount of time maintained by all I believe (3 months?)
And I know you can request records if you are an account holder for most accounts. So it's likely your co-workers sister/brother/inlaws could request records- or whoever holds the account. LE, as far as I know, needs a subpoena.
They will ping if on standby (if I understand your reference) but not if they are off or the battery is dead or removed, unless they have additional capabilities such as an epirb gps. So it may depend on the phone.

Prayers for your coworkers nephew that he is found safe.

Thanks for responding...I am going to add him to the missing/located thread, but there is not much to go on and it is a VERY touchy subject with co-worker to try and get info. about the case. She did say that the det. "investigating" the disappearance is "lazy" and not doing much.

From what I have been told, the only way to TRY and start a search, is with his cell phone. But it has been so long, wish I had know about this a long time ago.

I did direct the co-worker to projectjason, namus, etc. He is ONLY listed as missing on thecharleyproject and no where else.

Again, thank you.

Robin

ETA - Just started a thread in the Missing/Located forum... CA CA - Nathan Trino Guerra, Missing 07/22/09 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Please post general ping information here as a reference for all cases. No general discussion of specific cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back