TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, Colorado City, 27 Dec 2010 - #42

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Hailey20Dunn-120lr.gif

Hailey is 13 years old. She was heading to stay with a friend on Monday Dec. 27th but never made it. She is 5'1" with hazel eyes and brown hair. She also has pierced ears. She was last seen at 1804 Chestnut, wearing navy blue sweat pants, a light colored T-shirt and pink and white shoes.
Anyone who has seen Hailey contact the Colorado City Police Dept. at 325-728-5294

Thread #1 Thread #2
Thread #3 Thread #4
Thread #5 Thread #6
Thread #7 Thread #8
Thread #9 Thread #10
Thread #11 Thread #12
Thread #13 Thread #14
Thread #15 Thread #16
Thread #17 Thread #18
Thread #19 Thread #20
Thread #21 Thread #22
Thread #23 Thread #24
Thread #25 Thread #26
Thread #27 Thread #28
Thread #29 Thread #30
Thread #31 Thread #32
Thread #33 Thread #34
Thread #35 Thread #36
Thread #37 Thread #38
Thread #39 Thread #40
Thread #41

Media Links
Sar information for Hailey Dunn
Hailey Dunn Facebook/You Tube/MM site

You must read this post and hit the 'thanks' button before you post in this thread.

We do not allow rumors to be posted or perpetuated at WS.
Do not post a rumor or respond to a rumor.

No bashing Law Enforcement.

Direct quotes and screenshots from social networking sites are not allowed at WS.
You may discuss what is on a social networking site but must include the link. However, do not discuss or link to sites that are private.
Please do not post about other posters. That is a TOS violation because it is rude. It’s like talking behind someone’s back.
The only appropriate way to respond to problematic posts is to hit the alert button. We will then look at the post and handle it asap. Do not respond to a problematic post. That compounds the problem and delays the solution.
We do not allow the posting of personal information about people who have not been named as a POI or suspect by LE or MSM.
You must include a link to where you found the information in your post.
Just because a person is connected to a case doesn't mean we can immediately start using his/her name, even if it is an adult. There is no need to drag innocent people through the mud.
If people start talking to the media about the case then yes, they have decided they want their identity known. Then you can use their names in posts here at WS.
If suspects and family members are talked about in the major media outlets, you can use their names in posts here at WS.

We don't allow name posting of minors’ names, except for Hailey's, of course.

The full WS TOS and "rules" can be found here: The Rules

'Insiders' or "Locals"
Before you post ANY inside information that could help this case PLEASE report it to the police first. Here at Websleuths, we don't care about having "scoops" or "bombshells." We care about the cases, the people involved, and making sure Websleuths is not hindering the investigation by allowing people to post inside information that the police do not have yet.
If you know Hailey or her family and want to post about her, then WS admin needs to talk to you. Please email wsverify@xmission.com
Include:
The case
Your Websleuths name
Your phone number and a good time to call
Your real name.
In the subject line please put which case you are asking to be verified on.
It will all be kept strictly confidential.
Unless what you are saying can be verified by law enforcement and/or the media, it is not considered a "fact" here. You may personally know for 100% certainty that it is true, but unless you are verified and/or can back it up with a link, we do have to consider it to be a rumor. This is not to single anyone out or to ignore information, but to maintain the integrity of a case and keep the best interests of the victims at the forefront.
Please do what is right by the case first before you post anything on Websleuths.
Do not post about private conversations with case players unless the case player is aware that the conversation is going public.
If you are a local or insider and your posts do not include any "inside" information, you do not need to be verified. Please remember, however, that information as simple as what Mom does for a living or where BF works are considered inside information.

Check for professional and locals here...
Professional Posters & Verified Locals/Insiders

Please Continue here...

So when does a case warrant their own forum? What are the parameters? IIRC Gabriel Johnson had a forum by now.

Law Enforcement Investigating New Out-Of-State Lead In The Search For Hailey Dunn

Pete Kampfer told KTXS Sunday, they are following a lead in Memphis, Tennessee. Kampfer said he wasn not able to tell us anymore, except that they are looking into the lead.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/26590286/detail.html

Posters need to be put out if they have any faith in this lead. Memphis is a long way from CC and unless they are big NG fans or sleuthers they probably have not even heard about this.

Posters need to be put out if they have any faith in this lead. Memphis is a long way from CC and unless they are big NG fans or sleuthers they probably have not even heard about this.

I know. I never hear about anything until after nancy gets ahold of it. But if she doesnt then some cases dont even get attention. (Samantha Clark 4example)

why would they mention the tip to the media if it didnt have any merit? I would think it would have been checked out already, do they mention it the leads to show tips are coming in ?

I would think they would call for the public to keep their eyes and ears open and encourge the public to hand of flyers and pass nformation along in social media and remind the public of the reward.

Answer some questions about any changes that may have affected their efforts this far. ect..

So when does a case warrant their own forum? What are the parameters? IIRC Gabriel Johnson had a forum by now.

Here's Kimster's response to a forum request (from thread #36)

No forum at this time.

Forums require even more mod support. That isn't going to happen until we see more responsible posting in this case. The same problems happened with the Somer Thompson threads and it took a long time before we could prepare a forum.

RE: The Cell Pings.

@CALIGRAM- You bring up one excellent point as I was just thinking about this afternoon. Is LE positive that SA had his cell phone with him for the entire day that Monday?

Jim lives just South of Birmingham, Alabama. Say @ 6am Jim drives with his cell to
Tuscaloosa (about an hour away) going to his friend Chad's place to feed his dog (Chad's in Tokyo on vacation) hang out for an hour even ordering a Pay-per-view movie just before leaving. He also leaves his cell there and he goes back to Birmingham. Jim's back in B'ham @ 9:00 am he decides to i dunno, commit a crime. So he does his deed which takes about two hours that's 11am. He goes back to T-town and picks up his cell and turn off Chad's TV. He go to a very popular BBQ joint there for a rib sammich for lunch the place is packed. It's 1pm when he heads back to B'ham arriving back @ 2pm.

So when the police search Jim's cell records and pings, where is his cell pinging @10:02am the time of the actual crime? Jim has left a neat little paper trail. Witnesses at the rib joint, etc. So on that evidence alone Jim is released and is no longer a person of interest.

Ok I see but what does she mean by responsible posts?

TBH, there's too many posts violating forum rules: sleuthing folks that shouldn't be sleuthed, posting links to minors, posting minors' names, bickering, baiting, bashing LE, going OT, name-calling, posting w/o links, discussing rumors that were "put to rest", etc.

Mods spend their time cleaning up the thread - many (hopefully most all) posts in violation are removed so it may not seem as problematic as it is.

That said, responsible posting means following the rules while discussing the case.

HTH.

Memphis and Colorado City are a lot closer to each other than Roanoke and San Fransisco were. You can't get much further away from Virginia than California without leaving the country.

If a woman in California recognizes a missing girl from Virginia...(44 hour drive, 2700 miles) from seeing her once on Nancy Grace, then I'm not going to discount a tip from Memphis about a missing girl in Texas (12 hour drive, 700 miles). Hailey has also gotten more national coverage as well.

Not to mention, we do not know for sure what this tip is. It may be a tip about SHAWN having a history in this area. Tips in other cases have been about previous assaults and their locations.

Either way, whether it is a sighting, a possible body location, or a tip about a suspect I see NO reason to discount it because it's 700 miles away. Elizabeth Smart was taken 700 miles away too. It only takes watching Nancy one time. Or stumbling on the story online.

Taken from Virginia, found in California. 44 hours, 2700 miles away by a Nancy Grace viewer.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1012/13/ng.01.html

SHANLEY: So I went in and asked the clerk to call their local police department, which would be the Richmond station, and she did. She dialed it for me. And I spoke to them and said, you know, there's a young girl out here with a white male from 25 to 35, and she looks to be between the ages of -- I think I said 15 to 18, but she`s young. And it doesn't look right.

And last night, I'd seen a show on CNN, and there was a woman crying to -- her aunt, asking for him to bring her home for her mother's funeral and for Christmas. And that was first time I had seen her face. And her brown eyes is what got me. So I said -- as I'm talking with the police officer, I says, I was watching CNN, Nancy Grace, I think it was your show. I just know it was CNN, and that it may be this child from Virginia.

And the cop even said, Virginia? And I said, yes, there was a murder in Virginia, and the man killed the woman and took the child, and this might be them. I wasn't sure, but my intuition was telling me something's not right here. And sure enough, it was her and him. My intuition was right.

TBH, there's too many posts violating forum rules: sleuthing folks that shouldn't be sleuthed, posting links to minors, posting minors' names, bickering, baiting, bashing LE, going OT, name-calling, posting w/o links, discussing rumors that were "put to rest", etc.

Mods spend their time cleaning up the thread - many (hopefully most all) posts in violation are removed so it may not seem as problematic as it is.

That said, responsible posting means following the rules while discussing the case.

HTH.

I totally understand the reasons, and agree with your assessment, but IMO, if there was a thread for "pings" a thread for "the earrings" a thread for "what the hairdresser saw", etc., it might reduce the amount of "rehashing" of things that have been cleared up time after time, in thread after thread.:twocents:

My job is 30% clerical, 20% technical, and 50% waiting around until someone requires one of the aforementioned services. Our internet connection is slow, and we are strongly discouraged from watching video or streaming music, but there's nothing preventing me from reading MOST news stories during the down-time. Some subjects are blocked, although sometimes the blocker is "wrong" and blocks content that is not objectionable (ex. you can go to hotmail and yahoo, but not AOL). Sometimes it will display an article, but "block" most of the ads on the page. I'm sure it DOES block all the stuff that really IS bad too.

One site that is blocked is the TruTV Crime Library. I think that is a "mistake" since there's no block on news of the same sorts of crimes, but there's no way around it. I can read and post here from work, which is nice. At the rate I read, and with my workload, It can take me all day to read a thread, using very little bandwidth.

Maybe when I get a "smartphone" with 3g/4g internet I can read there from work, but there isn't even a wifi connection for my netbook now. There's a point to this...

In Thread 39 there was some comparing/contrasting of this case to Polly Klaas. I am sure I know the Polly Klaas case, but ATM only remember the basics. I opened the TruTV article in a tab in my browser yesterday but never got back to it. I know I can't read it from work, so I went to the Crime Library site this morning and used "copy & paste" to quickly transfer the content on Polly to a Word document so I could save it and email it to myself to read at work, in spite of EVERYTHING I HAVE READ IN THIS CASE!

While I have no intention of printing it out at work, in essence, what I did isn't that different from what Billie did. I went to the site where I have access, and made a copy (in her case a hard copy) to read at my leisure when I do not have access. It didn't even occur to me that I was doing virtually the same thing she did, and, in a sense, for similar reasons.

I can't say what her interest in the articles was, as I do not know her. I do know that Nancy's mention of sulfuric acid, and discussion of marauding feral pigs and their dining habits sent many of us to the TruTV Crime Library and like sites to look for cases with similar disposal methods, and read some pretty horrible stuff. There are posters here who reviewed every article listed in the affidavit when it came out. At one point, I had more than 200 true crime books in my home. My reason for reading true crime was to "learn how those people think" so I could better protect myself and my family. It's how I learned NOT to park next to a white van in the dark part of a parking lot, to be skeptical of men in casts moving furniture, and not to jump to conclusions too quickly about "whodunnit".

Until and unless it is proven that there is a connection to the case, I don't think Billie should be condemned so quickly for this. It may not have been the most constructive use of her time at work, nor mine for that matter, but it isn't necessarily as sinister as it's been made out to be.

There, but for the grace of God, go I... and all that.

I also wish we had a forum for Hailey, however, I totally understand WHY we don't have one.

I know that after reading some of the posts, it's pretty obvious that there was an agenda at work in some of them. I love insider information, when it verified and true. However, I don't like to feel manipulated into believing a totally unbelievable story.

BD hasn't been honest about key aspects of this case. She has totally contradicted herself numerous times. The last straw for me was the Nancy Grace ratings comment. A lot of parents would give everything they had to see their missing child highlighted on Nancy Grace, just once. I totally understand there are things that BD doesn't want to talk about. She can say she doesn't want to talk about them and to keep the focus on Hailey. But, she doesn't. She deflects questions about SA to make both of them look better.

I'm so confused about this case. Upset too, because the one person who should want to find her daughter, is too busy worrying about her b/f and her own reputation. I just know that Hailey is missing and needs to be found, and if BD and SA's reputations are somehow tarnished in the meantime, they have no one to blame but themselves. JMO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.

Has there been any more information concerning the sunglasses and knife sheath that were found by searchers on Jan 7th about a mile from SA's GM house in Dunn, TX ? Where there pictures taken? Could someone identify the sunglasses as his? Wish we had more info, it sure could explain why it's been stated that he sits on the porch watching the searchers.

http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=23252

In this article they are called "oil field glasses"

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=329356

Has there been any more information concerning the sunglasses and knife sheath that were found by searchers on Jan 7th about a mile from SA's GM house in Dunn, TX ? Where there pictures taken? Could someone identify the sunglasses as his? Wish we had more info, it sure could explain why it's been stated that he sits on the porch watching the searchers.

http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=23252

In this article they are called "oil field glasses"

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=329356
Yes, a number of threads back we posted pictures, descriptions and explanations of oil field glasses and whether or not SA would wear them in his line of work. People with experience in the oil industry assured us that these oil field glasses are quite common. To date, I don't believe we've seen anything definitive connecting the oil field glasses or the knife sheath to SA.

Yes, a number of threads back we posted pictures, descriptions and explanations of oil field glasses and whether or not SA would wear them in his line of work. People with experience in the oil industry assured us that these oil field glasses are quite common. To date, I don't believe we've seen anything definitive connecting the oil field glasses or the knife sheath to SA.

I think txcoast is asking if there are pictures of the actual items that were found... to see if anyone recognizes either as belonging to Shawn. I do not believe those photos have been released.

Yea Lisa, I would like to know if there are pictures of the items found and also if there are any pictrures of Shawn wearing these type glasses. I just think that those items being found so close to where SA is ( was) staying is very hinky.

I think txcoast is asking if there are pictures of the actual items that were found... to see if anyone recognizes either as belonging to Shawn. I do not believe those photos have been released.

HTH.

Thank you for helping us to understand the delay in getting a forum for Hailey!

I don't want to sound argumentative or disrespectful, but I do agree that part of the problem with re-hashing old leads which have been discounted is that day after day, we have people coming to the forum who may not have been able to read every single post on every thread. They may mention an old lead or ask about it, someone else sees their post and repeats the lead as fact, then regulars attempt to answer the first poster's question. Bickering inevitably ensues. It really is no one poster's fault, just a lack of an organized way to access information.

There are facts about sensitive issues such as BD's parenting and lifestyle around the kids and CCPD's handling of Hailey's case which could be discussed more responsibly on both sides of each issue. The line between discussing these facts as they affect the case and bashing simply to complain or harshly condemn is sometimes blurry. The alternative would be not to discuss these issues at all. I think it would be helpful if mods could help us understand how "bashing" would be defined so that we could still acknowledge the issues without all of the drama.

I know that it would be very helpful if we could all remember to be very clear when posting an opinion so that it can't be confused with stating a fact. The easiest way for me is to always put "My Opinion Only" or "Just Speculating" unless I am stating a proven fact. I know we all really want a new forum, and I am willing to do whatever I can to help anyone new to learn the ropes!

I am very, very glad that we have our wonderful moderators and Tricia to help keep Websleuth's a civilized place to go for intelligent discussion.
There are plenty of other forums to go to for bickering, petty gossip and pointless bashing. I am happy to be here, even when I have to use the "edit" button to stay out of trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy