OR - David Durham sought in shooting of Lincoln City PD officer, 2011

Missizzy

Reaction score
My heart goes out to Officer Dodds and his family. The Oregon coast towns are all quite small and close knit. I edited the owner of the SUV's name as he is not a POI or a suspect at this time.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2011/01/lincoln_city_police_shooting.html

Lincoln City [OR] police outline how traffic stop officer was shot

"A massive manhunt continues for a man who shot a Lincoln City police officer late last night during a traffic stop on Highway 101 on the south end of Lincoln City.

Officer Steven B. Dodds, 45, continues in critical condition at Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland after undergoing emergency surgery. Dodds, the city's officer of the year last year, is the single father of an 18-year-old daughter.

Police have set up roadblocks and are searching cars, checking trunks and talking to drivers who are going in and out of what appears to be the main search area in Waldport -- a beachfront area of homes known as Sandpiper Village on the north and Bayshore Estates at the south...."

and

"....Police are looking for the registered owner of the Army green SUV, DD, 43, of Portland. They say he is neither a suspect nor a person of interest, but because they've been unable to reach him to ask him about who might be driving his car, authorities are concerned for his safety...."

more at link

Just fwiw, I used to live in Sandpiper Village in Waldport. Scary situation.

fran

Police name suspect in shooting of Ore. officer

Police were searching a waterfront neighborhood along the Oregon coast Monday for the owner of a truck suspected of shooting a police officer who pulled him over for speeding.

David Anthony Durham, 43, of Portland was under investigation in connection with the Sunday night shooting of Lincoln City police Officer Steven Dodds, who remained in critical condition, Newport police Chief Mark Miranda said.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...ficershot10thldwritethru.html?syndication=rss

OMG with what we had in St Pete today and the other threads ... It is open season on Our Law Enforcement Officers.. It is breaking my heart for these families...

I figured that it had to be the man who owned the vehicle. If he didn't have emotional problems before, he surely does now. I know ever our county is on the alert as we're the gateway over the Siskiyous. He is a scary scary man. He's shooting indiscriminately and it's only by the grace of God he hasn't killed anyone.

Oh, I hope and pray that Officer Dodds pulls through. Fran, I'm so sorry this happened in a place you called home. The Oregon coast is breathtakingly beautiful but has been plagued by so many traumatic events in recent years.

I just read that Officer Dodds (officer of the year, two years running) is surrounded by his family. Prayers and family is the most we can ask for. Legacy Emanuel in Portland is an excellent trauma hospital.

Just a reminder that another officer, Ranier Police Chief, Ralph Painter, was killed in Oregon just two weeks ago by a mentally unstable young man. Dark dark days.

Now it's creepy to see from this article, the perp may be holed up somewhere in Bayshore. There are many vacation homes there, that are most likely vacant now. He could be anywhere.

OTOH, if he went to the east side of 101, he could get lost in the forest. There are so many people there that live in desolate areas. It's scary to think he may have hostages and no one would know. Some of those people only come to town once a week or even further in between. Some don't even have phones......well, maybe now they have cell phones, but they may not work all the time in the more desolate areas.

Hope they catch him before he harms anyone else, or even himself.

fran

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...b_waldport_neighborhoods_for_cop-shooter.html

They are sure he stayed in the area? He's lived on Sauvie Island up by where Kyron went missing and there are many places to hide there as well.

I pray they catch him before he harms anyone else! :praying:

It is an absolute miracle that he didn't kill others with all his shooting. The crab fisherman was hit in the head by a bullet fragment. Bless that man. I know the area you're speaking of Fran and it is rugged. Wasn't that near where the little girl went missing last year and was only a short distance from her home? If not there, it's exactly the same terrain. It's hard for most people to believe that cell service is unavailable but I don't have it either and I'm on top of a mountain in Oregon. Oregon is full of "dead air" spaces.

I'm so concerned that he's got a hostage/s somewhere and no one knows. He might be holing up with them and then planning to force them to help him get out. I'm very concerned about an ambush of some sort for all those brave men and women in LE. Today must be a horrid one for their families. I pray they stay safe.

ETA: The child went missing down the coast in Brookings but the terrain on the east side of the highway is equally rugged.

I wonder what they mean when they say that they are not searching homes that are "secure"? Does this mean inhabited and when they can speak face to face with the resident or does it mean locked up securely? Isn't it entirely possible that Durham could be hiding in a locked house? The dog might be helpful as I would think he would bark if LEOs got too close.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...y_shooting_press_conference_in_wald_port.html

Lincoln City shooting: Press conference in Waldport

"The search continues along the central Oregon coast for a man suspected of critically wounding a Lincoln City police officer Sunday night during a traffic stop on U.S. 101. In Waldport today, Oregon State Police are holding a press conference.

The officer, Officer Steven B. Dodds, 45, remains in critical condition at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland with multiple wounds. Lt. Gregg Hastings of The Oregon State Police and Newport Police Chief Mark Miranda are speaking...."

and

"....Durham is believe to be traveling with his dog, Huckleberry, a 2-year-old Australian blue heeler who accompanied him everywhere.

Residents are asked to be vigilant. Police have been receiving a lot of calls, Miranda says. Police believe Durham is still in the area. There are 25 state police SWAT officers working on the manhunt. Miranda says he is not aware of any credible sightings of the suspect. If houses are secure, police are not searching those homes...."

and

"....Miranda said he thinks Durham's actions don't indicate he's suicidal...."

more at link (new photos of Durham)

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...cts_dog_east_of_us_101_north_of_waldport.html

Searchers find David Durham's dog east of U.S. 101, north of Waldport

"Searchers found suspect David Durham's 2-year-old Australian cattle dog about 11:15 a.m. Wednesday in Alsea Highlands subdivision east of U.S. 101 just north of Waldport.

A massive manhunt is under way for Durham, who is suspected of shooting a Lincoln City officer Sunday night during a traffic stop on U.S. 101.

Newport Police Chief Mark Miranda said it appears that the dog and his owner split up after Durham&#8217;s vehicle was stopped with spike strips. Miranda said the dog headed east and Durham ran west. He said he didn&#8217;t think the two have been together...."

more at link (some interesting comments about the breed of dog and their traits and how that might relate to Durham)

New photo. I wonder if Durham had his long hair tucked up under his beret? This was taken just before the shooting:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...ity_police_shooting_suspect_david_durham.html

Police release new photo of Lincoln City police shooting suspect David Durham

"Police today released a photo of suspect David Durham of Portland taken about a half-hour before he's accused of shooting a Lincoln City police officer during a traffic stop Sunday. It shows Durham dressed in camouflage and wearing a beret. He so far has escaped an intense manhunt centered in and around Waldport...."

more at link

And:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...coln_city_shooting_spotted_near_waldport.html

Reports: Suspect in Lincoln City shooting spotted near Waldport

"....Newport Police Chief Mark Miranda said searchers still believe he's hiding in an empty vacation home along the beach in Waldport.

SWAT officers searched another area east of Highway 101 where Durham's dog was discovered in a resident's backyard earlier today, but didn't find him. They believe he is on the other side of the highway, police said...."

more at link

This would mean that he's thought to be on the west side (ocean side) of the highway in one of the beach houses.

Hmmm...not sure if this is anything as I can't watch it but it seems creepy. Look up "David Durham Patriot" on Youtube. Looks like there's a short clip describing the shooter as an avid landscaper, volunteer firefighter, and hero to women and children.

On a still shot, I can see Durham's photo and the words, "Patriot and Hero". It was posted several hours ago and there's a comment by this group:

"AmericanPatriotism | January 26, 2011

Thank God for this brave hero Colonel David "The Man" Durham, Hope you keep up the good work of protecting women and children from the pig creeps!"

I was going to open a scanner thread for the manhunt but they only have Lincoln City police and not Lincoln County, which is who presides over Waldport.

Here's the Google link for anyone who wants to look over the area: [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=waldport,+or&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.701751,86.572266&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Waldport,+Lincoln,+Oregon&z=13"]waldport, or - Google Maps[/ame]

David Durham's family might not have seen him as a survivalist or as anti-goverment but that doesn't mean that groups that do assume that stance are not embracing him. IMO, this does not bode well for the LEOs searching for this guy:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20029625-504083.html

"...she [a neighbor] heard him discuss delusions about aliens and Armageddon. "He's convinced the police are going to come and get him," NM told the TV station. "He's packed his bags, and he's ready to go in case Armageddon happens."

and some great news:

"....[Officer] Dodds remained in critical condition late Tuesday, but friends told Oregon State Patrol Lt. Gregg Hastings that he was alert and improving...."

more at link

And:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/26/2612228/police-find-dog-of-oregon-shooting.html#ixzz1CCiFILrf

Suspect who fled into Ore. woods avid outdoorsman

"....Durham's brother, M, said his brother liked to camp but wasn't a survivalist. He had no military background. "He wasn't some anti-government nut expecting a collapse," said his brother Michael Durham. "He had the outdoorsman skills like anybody who spends time outdoors should have."

MD says his brother lost touch with reality several months ago after taking pain medication for an injured shoulder. David Durham seemed especially struck by a recently released movie about aliens invading a remote Alaskan town, making its resident disappear.

"David, my brother, had thought it was a documentary," MD said. "It made us do a double-take....."

more at link

I realize that it is critical to find this man...and fast. First line of business. However, I'm really hoping that we get some sort of follow-up concerning the sudden major behavioral changes of a typically kind hearted and trusted man, following a shoulder injury. It is stated that he had a recent break-up. That's not surprising if he was worried about the aliens. I just did some research and several pain meds can bring on or exacerbate paranoia. But can this honestly happen to an otherwise mentally healthy man? Is so, that's terrifying.

Hmmm...not sure if this is anything as I can't watch it but it seems creepy. Look up "David Durham Patriot" on Youtube. Looks like there's a short clip describing the shooter as an avid landscaper, volunteer firefighter, and hero to women and children.

On a still shot, I can see Durham's photo and the words, "Patriot and Hero". It was posted several hours ago and there's a comment by this group:

"AmericanPatriotism | January 26, 2011

Thank God for this brave hero Colonel David "The Man" Durham, Hope you keep up the good work of protecting women and children from the pig creeps!"

I think in Kyron scanner thread is his record too!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pandamom76
Back