1156 users online (247 members and 909 guests)  

Websleuths News

El Segundo, California

IN - Morocco, 'Charlene Doe' 499UFIN, 25-45, in Willow Slough, Aug'88

This discussion comes from the Adam and Brad Doe thread, regarding a third Newton County UID, to whom they refer as "Charlene".

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    According to S. McCord, there are only three UID's in Newton County. All three are listed in NamUs, and if you run a NamUs screen based only on Newton County IN, these are the only cases that come up. As I understand it, Adam and Brad are Eyler victims and Charlene is not.

If there is a third male Eyler victim found in Newton County, he is not listed in NamUs.

ETA - I'll send an e-mail to S McCord to request clarification.

I had asked Scott McCord about the third victim, and he replied that it was a "a girl who was found in 1988", who he refers to as Charlene Doe. He says that she is in NamUs.

I don't think that she is related to the Eyler case.
    DoeNet opened a new casefile for "Charlene" Doe, so I will start a thread for her.

The Doe Network:
    Case File 499UFIN
    NamUs UP Case 6107 https://identifyus.org/cases/6107

Reconstruction of Victim by Betsy Cooper

Unidentified Black Female

* The victim was discovered on August 5, 1988 in Morocco, Newton County, Indiana
    * Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 25-45 years old
    * Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6".
    * Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair. Osteochondritis on rim of glenoid fossa of right scapula; spina bifida present in T11 and T12 (unlikely these conditions were clinically significant, but could be observed on x-rays). Unique frontal sinus pattern that may be comparable to available antemortem x-rays. Anomaly of C1-C2 joint, antemortem cervical spine films may show this.
    * Clothing: Jordache brand jeans.
    * Dentals: Available
    * DNA: Pending
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-02-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Northeast USA
    it is not clear when LE thought the UID died, although Namus says 1988. I think it's more common to see a range when dealing with a skeleton.

here is a possible match, Patricia Tigner, missing from Champaigne, IL in Sept 1981. she was 5'6" and would have been 42 in 1988, so we have race, gender, height and age all good. Patricia was last seen at a motel and her fingerprints were on file. (enough said)

Champaigne is about 90 miles from Morocco, IN so the distance is not bad either.

Found a February 24th 2011 article on "Charlene Doe". They mention here that Charlene's body was found underneath that of Selassie Sherrod who was only reported missing in July of 1988 so I think she did die in 1988 also. Sherrod was shot, car tires were piled on both of them and set on fire. Interestingly, they believe she is from suburban Chicago and that a forensic pathologist narrowed the age down to 20-30, according to the article here - http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...w.google.co.uk

(Apologies for the Google Cache version, but the original appears to have been moved)
    Last edited by ctaylor; 05-01-2011 at 08:44 PM.

I wonder if Jannette Johnson has been considered as a match? She's not on the rule out list.

Jannette was last seen in Kankakee, IL, which is less than an hour from Morocco, IN. The only thing is that Jannette went missing in 1985 and Charlene Doe has a probably year of death of 1988.

Attached Images Attached Images

I heard back from Amy Dobbs:

A review of the DNA indicates that both have STR and mito profiles available. So far CODIS has not reported back any association between the two samples.
    Between the location where Jeanette went missing, the similar hair length and ear size, and the matching height, I thought it made perfect sense. I read a Chicago Tribune article about how the male body was identified as Selassie Sherrod, Jr. Selassie was a trucker based out of Joliet but his mother and father lived in St. Anne, IL, 15 minutes from Kankakee, IL where Jeanette went missing, and Selassie's van was found abandoned in a rural area of Kankakee County.

There are even more articles about this Jane Doe here: http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/ar/t52587.htm

One of them talks about how even though Selassie was married, he still had a number of girlfriends and was known to be involved in criminal activities.