1034 users online (236 members and 798 guests)  

Websleuths News

Question Wow! This is one mystery I'm dying to find out about!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/28/...ex.html?hpt=T2

Police: Officer made up story about shooting near high school
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    January 28, 2011 7:13 a.m. EST

..."The current state of the investigation refutes Stenroos' initial account of the incident and we are now certain that there is no outstanding suspect in this shooting," he said in a statement.

Beck said detectives followed up on more than 350 clues, carried out several neighborhood canvasses and distributed "countless" fliers seeking information.

After the shooting, a Good Samaritan used Stenroos' radio to call for help and tended to him until medics arrived. The officer's protective vest had prevented the bullet from entering his body.

Beck's statement Thursday night did not elaborate on how Stenroos may have acquired his wound....

I know, me too. It was broad daylight. And witnesses supposedly saw him fall. So how did it happen? Did he shoot himself?

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    I know, me too. It was broad daylight. And witnesses supposedly saw him fall. So how did it happen? Did he shoot himself?
    I'm sure that a vest would protect a cop at point blank range. If it does it would seem the wound would be obvious.

Why would he do it?

My niece goes to this school and we are outraged over this new development.

Quote Originally Posted by branwynbreeze View Post
    My niece goes to this school and we are outraged over this new development.
    I don't blame you. In this day and age when they lock down a school it terrifies everyone in the community, especially parents and relatives of children.

What the...?? It seems he was wounded, but the bullet didn't enter his body. Would the vest deflect the bullet so it grazed another part of his body? I agree with Steely. If he shot himself it would be from close range, and I think it would be obvious. I'm sure they checked his weapon to see if it had been fired. If it was, and witnesses reported hearing only one shot, then obviously there was no exchange of gunfire, and he shot himself. The question is why? The first thing that comes to mind is that he was looking for paid leave? Workers comp? Or, he wanted sympathy from a gf/wife? Maybe he really wanted to quit the force, but felt like he needed justification. I dunno. That's just crazy.

Breezy, you have every reason to be outraged. It's a really stupid thing to do in the first place, but to cause fear and panic near a school full of children?
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Respectfully snipped:
    Breezy, you have every reason to be outraged. It's a really stupid thing to do in the first place, but to cause fear and panic near a school full of children?

One thing is they didn't put just one school on lock down, it was ALL schools in rather large radius. Off top of my head 7-9 schools or so. Between that and homes, 10s of thousands of people where affected. Then there's resources used that broke California state doesn't have to waste.

Worst part is when second lock down happened a good number of students where not taking it very serious. If real danger happened, they, the students, would not be prepared for outcome. When I spoke to my niece during 2nd she was laughing and trying to get her photo taken with officers.

I think I was more frightened than my kids during the lockdown. The only good news is that there is not a crazy cop killer running around the neighborhood. I hope the city is able to recoup the cost from this guy.

My goodness. I was thinking it was just one school and a small, isolated area that was affected. If a legitimate danger forces another lockdown in the future, even more kids will laugh it off. I hope he's proud of himself. Of course, we have to consider the possibility that the man has serious mental problems. Have any more details been reported in the news? Please keep us posted.

Ya know, life is hard enough. I don't suffer with anxiety problems, but even so, I often find myself waiting for the next shoe to drop, and I know I'm not alone. When a shocking situation arises, not everyone can just shake it off and walk away. The panic and fear will cause lasting effects for some folks, and that's just a da*n shame. I'm really sorry for the community who was terrorized by this foolish act.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

What the...what?!?

OK, I was super curious and found another article where LE does, indeed, speculate that he shot himself. Who knows why. But stranger yet is another quote by the police chief. Read the last paragraph! (Caution: self-starting video is embedded).

http://abcnews.go.com/US/la-school-p...ry?id=12783520

Yet another LE officer who says Stenroos was mishandling a firearm (simplest explanation. Just goofing around). This one has a photo:

http://www.dailynews.com/crime/ci_17262606

He's been fired, and the LA City Council wants the city to sue Stenroos - both with good reason if his story wasn't true!

Has anyone heard anymore about this?

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...118499754.html

Wed, Mar 23, 2011

Robbery-Homicide Division determined there had been no shooting at the school as Stenroos had first described and that he had created false evidence when he claimed he was shot,
    More at link but couldn't cut and paste more because of TOS.

Has anyone heard any more about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    Has anyone heard any more about this?
    http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep...-hoax-20110912
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...ase-from-jail/

He was convicted to 5 years in Dec. 2011, and has paid over 300,000 early last year. I heard he was supposed to be re-sentenced, but never heard what happened with that.
    Every murderer is someone's old friend ... Agatha Christie