Found Deceased CA - Juliani Cardenas, 4, Patterson, 18 January 2011 - #2

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
AMBER ALERT: Juliani Cardenas, age 4, Patterson, Stanislaus County

genthumb.ashx
genthumb.ashx

Juliani Cardenas was abducted from Patterson, California, by Jose Esteban Rodriguez. The suspect was last seen driving a yellow [note: radio said amber-colored, some networks saying silver-colored as of 7:15 pm] Toyota Corolla with a CA license plate of 6HBW445. May be en-route from Patterson to San Jose.

http://www.ncmec.org/missingkids/servlet/AmberExternalFCServlet?act=retAmberCase&amberId=7971

Name: Juliani Cardenas
Alias:
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Skin Color: Hispanic
Height: 3' 6"
Weight: 40 lb
Description: The child was last seen wearing dark pants and a light blue shirt.

Suspect
Name: Jose Esteban Rodriguez
Alias:
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Skin Color: Hispanic
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 180 lb
Description: The suspect was last seen wearing a white and black shirt, checkered shorts, and a beanie.

Vehicle Information
Make: Toyota
Model: Corolla
Color: Yellow [Note: radio said amber-colored, some networks saying silver-colored as of 7:15 pm]
Interior Color:
License State: CA
License Text: 6HBW445
Vehicle Description: The vehicle has oversize aluminum wheels. The left rear wheel is the spare wheel (smaller).

Circumstances
Missing From: Patterson, CA
Missing Date: 1/18/2011 4:12 PM
Issued for: California: Statewide
Contact: If you have information, please contact Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department, (209) 380-6015, or dial 911
Circumstances: Juliani Cardenas was abducted from Patterson, California, by Jose Esteban Rodriguez. The suspect was last seen driving a yellow [note: radio said amber-colored, some networks saying silver-colored as of 7:15 pm] Toyota Corolla with a CA license plate of 6HBW445. May be en-route from Patterson to San Jose.

http://www.ncmec.org/missingkids/servlet/AmberExternalFCServlet?act=retAmberCase&amberId=7971

Previous Thread

Thread #1

I brought my last post over since it closed right after I posted.

I am thinking that is the case. What human being would watch or see a car with a child in it go into the canal and not try to help or call 911. I am hoping he was paid to wait 3 days and then call. This is a perfect get away for that piece of crap. Everyone will assume the worst and quit looking for them. Just my hope.

Could be, but I understand undocumented immigrants enough to understand how such a person would not call. If he's a farm worker 99.9% chance he is not here legally. And they come from a place of extreme, daily fear that their means of survival and supporting their kids could be taken at any moment. Someone could trace their number, question them and then find out they are here illegally and bam. They don't understand the process, that witnesses are protected, etc.

Also, they also come from cultures, at least those from south of the border, where LE is simply horrendously corrupt and calling them for assistance is a bad thing to do. Not only will they often not get help, they may get harmed instead. Also, reporting crimes could not only get them hurt by LE, but also by other criminals. It's a mess in Mexico right now, for example. Retribution killings all over the place, decapitations, bodies hung on fences, etc. It's just a different culture from ours where we are raised to ask LE for assistance and assume we will get it and be protected for coming forward.

It's hard for us to understand but I believe he likely freaked when he saw what he saw and had no idea what to do or if it was what he thought it was. After the amber alert was broadcast, he apparently had a talk with his son who likely knows more about the system and urged him to call.

Thanks for the new thread. I had to step away, this was way more than I could handle. After watching all week when I saw that car come up I just lost it. I couldn't even breathe there for a minute.

This group of LE will find Juliani of that I am sure. They won't give up until he is found. You could see shear determination on the sheriff's face.

~jmo~

Could be, but I understand undocumented immigrants enough to understand how such a person would not call. If he's a farm worker 99.9% chance he is not here legally. And they come from a place of extreme, daily fear that their means of survival and supporting their kids could be taken at any moment. Someone could trace their number, question them and then find out they are here illegally and bam. They don't understand the process, that witnesses are protected, etc.

Also, they also come from cultures, at least those from south of the border, where LE is simply horrendously corrupt and calling them for assistance is a bad thing to do. Not only will they often not get help, they may get harmed instead. Also, reporting crimes could not only get them hurt by LE, but also by other criminals. It's a mess in Mexico right now, for example. Retribution killings all over the place, decapitations, bodies hung on fences, etc. It's just a different culture from ours where we are raised to ask LE for assistance and assume we will get it and be protected for coming forward.

It's hard for us to understand but I believe he likely freaked when he saw what he saw and had no idea what to do or if it was what he thought it was. After the amber alert was broadcast, he apparently had a talk with his son who likely knows more about the system and urged him to call.

Thank you .... I've said that a few times. Many of these folks - even if here legally - gave everything they could to jump through hoops and finally get their green card. They are terrified of LE and the gov't. As I mentioned on the other thread, a friend of mine is an immigration attorney, and she said that they really are afraid of almost anyone associated with law enforcement.

We don't know why this person didn't call 911 right away. Maybe he didn't have a cell phone and had to get to a phone.

Bottom line is - I don't think it would have made a difference in this case anyway... :(

Having a thought. Need to talk to someone that has more experience with Water SAR dogs than I do. Will be back to fill in my thoughts if I'm on to something.

belimom, thank you for clarifying about the cameras catching the license plate being the surveillance cams sent underwater--it didn't seem likely there would be security cameras along the canal. Maybe the article I read was written wrong? (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

belimom, thank you for clarifying about the cameras catching the license plate being the surveillance cams sent underwater--it didn't seem likely there would be security cameras along the canal. Maybe the article I read was written wrong? (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

No problem. I wish real life were like '24' - and they could pull the satellite feed and track someone. I wouldn't be surprised if the technology probably exists but it will be years before it can be utilized routinely for matters other than national security. Okay, now I'm sounding like I watched too much '24'... which is true.

can dogs be brought on to the scene and search the car for decomp?

My brother in law was an illegal. He isnt now but half the time I known him he was. He would never allow a child or a woman to suffer and if help was not in his ability he would call for it. He is a family guy even extended and will help no matter if it is his last dollar or getting sent back.

I think the actions of the farm worker speak more of character than anything else.

Thanks so much Gitana,

The sheriff addressed that earlier today. I have no idea where the link is but the sheriff stated emphatically that even if he had called 911 then nothing could have been done except what they had done today.

If I remember right the sheriff actually took up for the farmer and said he was truly suffering from what he saw but had been scared about reporting it. Remember he did eventually report it. If not no one would know about the canal at all.

Bellimom or anyone else, do you remember what link it was?

I respect the sheriff greatly and his handling of this case. If he can show the farmer empathy then that is the least I can do.

Gosh. LE seems so confident he was in the car. So very confident. "Unfortunately" they were not in the car. they are convinced they floated out the windows? :(

Oh please let him not be in there.

Having a thought. Need to talk to someone that has more experience with Water SAR dogs than I do. Will be back to fill in my thoughts if I'm on to something.

I'll have to go back and find the link...IIRC they had some dogs out there once, that they vaguely indicated were HRD water dogs.

ETA:

The original link I had appears to have had the story changed. http://www.modbee.com/2011/01/25/1525957/mother-of-kidnapped-patterson.html#ixzz1C20Pr7e3

I found a cached version of what it said the first time around...

Search dogs were used Monday afternoon to comb the area of a canal near Patterson where authorities believe the car of a kidnap suspect and his 4-year-old victim rolled into the water.

Deputy Royjindar Singh, spokesman for the Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department, cautioned that the use of the dogs from the Calaveras County Sheriff’s Department was not based on any new leads or any belief there were bodies in the orchards bordering the canal off Zacharias Road.

They were simply there to pick up a scent from the canal, he said.

“The focus of the dogs is in the water,” Singh said. “That is the area they’re searching. … This is just another tool to search the initial location where a witness and the evidence shows the car went into the water.” In other developments Monday:

I think it is almost worse, in a way, that he was not found in the car. I believe they were in the vehicle, and now he may never be found. Of course it is far preferable if he is found alive, but it seems so unlikely.

I cannot imagine the pain and heartbreak this mother was going through sitting there on camera while they were working to bring that car up, hoping and praying her baby would not be in it!! Thank God he was not!
I did not know that the mom was almost 9 mos. pregnant. Wow! You would think this guy would want to be around for his daughter's birth. I think I heard her refer to the baby as a girl, am I right?

I looked up information on that canal and it's 117 miles in length! :eek: I'm not sure at which point they were looking though, but it still seems daunting whether it's 10 or 100 miles.

Delta–Mendota Canal

The links don't post correctly (adds a picture), so you'll have to look it up yourselves.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back