1193 users online (193 members and 1000 guests)  

Websleuths News

MI - Roger Stockham of CA arrested for plotting to blow up mosque

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110131/...FycmVzdGVkdw--

Man arrested with explosives at Michigan mosque

"A 63-year-old Southern California man who was traveling with explosives in his vehicle with the intention of blowing up one of the nation's largest mosques where mourners had gathered for a funeral was arrested in the Detroit suburb of Dearborn, Michigan authorities said Sunday.

Dearborn police said Roger Stockham was arraigned Wednesday on one count of making a false report or threat of terrorism and one count of possessing explosives with an unlawful intent. Stockham had a large but undisclosed quantity of class-C fireworks including M-80s, which are outlawed in Michigan..."

more at link
    Last edited by Salem; 01-31-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Stockham shows up here:

http://www.bradleymanning.org/forum/...c.php?f=2&t=98

"Identifying "Crazyhorse 18"
    by roger stockham 11 Dec 2010 12:11 am

I NEED HELP FINDING THIS LYING MURDERER ON THE COL. MRDR. VID. Naming this guy is essential to getting justice for the victims and B. He MUST be prosecuted in, I believe, the World Court.

and

Come on folks...."

It's easy to prove I was an assault helicopter pilot leading top secret special ops into Laos in '68. And if I want this guy hung, you should too.
    Thanks, Roger Stockham, luminaXX@hotmail.com, fone 619/628-05XX [EBM].
    roger stockham

The same phone number as connected with Stockham in Imperial Beach, CA. It seems that he's referring to one of the people named in the recent "Wikileaks".

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem...enter.php#more

Michigan Cops: Army Vet Threatened Mosques At Bar, Found With Explosives Outside Islamic Center

".....the suspect was drinking in a Detroit bar on Monday and threatened to do harm to a mosque in Dearborn. An employee at the bar followed the man outside and wrote down his license plate, which he reported to police....."

and

"....On an apparent profile of Stockham on a social media website for the Veterans of Foreign Wars, he writes he was born in Pasadena,CA and raised in Palos Verdes at a little community called Portuguese Bend Club.

He describes himself as a "typical surfer, did a lot of snow and water skiing, sailing, go cart racing." He says his dad was an architect and his mom was a decorator, and writes that he joined the army in December 1965. He went to helicopter flight school and got married at 19. He says he was deployed to Vietnam in March of 1968 where he "saw a lot of action, got a lot of air medals, but not much else." He says he "gave the army seven years then spent a couple of years flying as a commercial bush pilot in Indonesia." He writes that he has "two beautiful kids, one granddaughter...."

more at link

His Veterans of Foreign Wars profile, with photo:

http://www.vfwpost5477.com/apps/profile/45851773/

His MS page:

http://www.myspace.com/448665457

Looks just like any other older California surfer guy......
    Last edited by Missizzy; 01-30-2011 at 11:01 PM.

This man is outrageously dangerous!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...h-death-threat

"The decorated Army veteran who authorities say wanted to blow up a Dearborn, Michigan mosque has served time in federal prison for death threats against George W. Bush and a Vermont veterans' center.

Sixty-three year-old Roger Stockham pleaded insanity after he threatened to blow up a veterans' center in Vermont in 2002 and threatened then-President Bush, The Detroit News reports. He claimed to be a local terrorist named "Hem Ahadin" in threatening calls...."

and

"....Stockham is a Vietnam Army veteran with a long history of mental illness, according to newspaper clippings gathered by Current Events Inquiry. In 1979, Stockham was accused of kidnapping his son from a foster home and then crash-landing a stolen plane in Los Angeles. In 1981, authorities were on a man hunt for him when he escaped a mental hospital after sending threatening letters to President Jimmy Carter. In 1985, he was suspected of planting a bomb at the Reno, Nevada airport. The Associated Press reported in 1981 that Stockham was a convert to Islam...."

more at link
    Last edited by Missizzy; 01-31-2011 at 05:56 PM.

I'm glad that he was stopped, and that the bar employee had the presence of mind to realize that he wasn't just drunk rambling. Most people would have dismissed his threats.

We do have a decent sized Muslim population around here. Most of them are very peaceful, and most of the rest of the community is very peaceful with them. Not to say that there aren't problems, but they are usually caused by intolerant people, on either side of the fence. I am so glad that this guy didn't get to go through with his plan. Even if there had been little or no loss of life, it would have been a terrible tragedy. Most of the mosques here are absolutely beautiful, and this likely would have made things worse in an area where there are already tensions, albeit, not all that strong, but still present.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Thanks Missizzy for finding all that additional information on him. I had looked early on and only found that he was possibly living most recently in Chula Vista.

I had wondered, and still do, if he had any association with that kookie guy who had filled his house with explosives. I think he lived in San Diego and authorities burned the house down to destroy the explosives.

Came to Santa Fe

I work at a hostel in Santa Fe.
    Around the 10th of January Roger came to us and wanted to spend a few nights. A few days after he checked out, he received an envelope from Bank of America and a box that obviously contained pills.

tgh745--Welcome!! Glad to have you here. That's awfully strange. I wonder what the pills were. Have you called this in as a tip? I would, just to be on the safe side. The guy seems seriously off his rocker.

Here's an update:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110212/...rror_threat_10

"A California man accused of plotting to attack a popular Detroit-area mosque was ordered to stand trial Friday after police testified that he had 96 fireworks in his car, including M-80 firecrackers and smoke bombs.

Roger Stockham was arrested Jan. 24 during a traffic stop near the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn. Witnesses said the 63-year-old Vietnam War veteran spoke hours earlier at a bar about setting off an explosion at the mosque.

Dearborn Officer John Kostiuk said the fireworks were found in a paper bag on the front passenger seat of Stockham's Chrysler PT Cruiser. Officer Stanley Chiles, a bomb technician, testified that Stockham's cache included fireworks that are illegal in Michigan and potentially dangerous. Chiles said the fireworks could have hurt someone, especially if combined with the alcohol and spray paint that officers found in the car and gasoline in the tank...."

More at link (plus his defense attorney assures us that nothing was dangerous)