TN TN - Bethany Markowski, 11, Jackson, 4 March 2001

emma l

Reaction score
http://www.find-missing-children.org/Posters/poster87.htm Bethanys missing page with SUSPECT COMPOSITE.

I thought I'd post this case because first and foremost there is a child missing. But for all you "websleuths" out there I thought it might attract your attention because there is a twist.

Bethany, (then 11) went missing from a mall (according to her father) was positively identified by SEVERAL witnesses, 4 months after she went missing. She was with an unidentified woman who tried to enrol her in school under a DIFFERENT NAME. Then Bethany was sighted again with the same woman in a restaurant.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/special_reports/crimestopper.cfm?DID=4465 An article detailing the sighting of Bethany with the mystery woman.

I wondered how often this happens and people don't notice? If only the school administrator had been a little quicker or had seen Bethany's photo, she might be home now. Apparently I read that the woman with Bethany acted suspicious when asked for Bethanys papers and said "her dad has them" and that she'd come back. She never did.

This is such an unusual case. Why would someone abduct an 11 year old, only to keep her and enrol her in school? And its so unusual for it to be a woman............

Prayers for Bethany and her family. Please read her story and look at her photo VERY closely. This happened in 2001 and police believe Bethany is still alive. She could go to your children's school! Does anyone who lives in that area have any more info on her?

http://www.ticic.state.tn.us/Missing_Children/miss_child_markowski.htm Heres a slightly different photo of Bethany.

http://www.jacksoncrimestoppers.com/bethany_l_markowski.htm Another photo of this child.

So, is it thought that the father is involved?

I found it curious that the woman said "her father has (the papers)"

Also, that the child hasn't runaway.

And that dad was last to see her.

I am not familiar with the case, but, that was my first thought.

Are mom and dad together? Or divorced/seperated?

Hey Fran,

Thanks for taking an interest! Mum and dad are seperated-Bethany was on visitation with her dad when she vanished. I read an article (which i now can't find) where Bethanys mum said "He has not hepled to find Bethany. He has moved away and remarried" I distinctly remember those words because she stopped short of accusing the father.

I found this about Bethanys dad:
snip.........."Although police have not named a suspect in this case, authorities told News 2 Markowski's story just didn't add up.

And it starts from the beginning - his claim that Bethany was at the mall.

Investigators said there's no evidence she ever stepped foot inside the place.

Bethany does not show up on mall surveillance. :( Markowski told News 2 he loves his daughter and had nothing to do with her disappearance. Bethany's mom won't discuss his flimsy story. She just wants Bethany.

"I just want my daughter back. I want her home. I want her safe. If him or anybody has information, it's time. This has gone on too long. This is not a game." snip.............:http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=689331&nav=1ugB7exf

And also this...........
snip.......''I feel confident this is not a runaway situation,'' said Jack VanHooser Jr., assistant special agent in charge with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

Bethany and her father, Larry, had been in Little Rock, Ark., and were on their way back to meet the mother, Johnnie Jo, at the Waverly exit off Interstate 40. On the way, they stopped at the Old Hickory Mall in Jackson.

''He went to sleep in the parking lot for about an hour while she went into the mall,'' VanHooser said.

When he awoke, the father went into the mall to meet Bethany. He called Jackson police when he couldn't find her.

VanHooser said both parents are being investigated, along with others, but declined to name suspects" snip...........

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/01/04/04839135.shtml?Element_ID=4839135[/url]

And also this (although I am VERY sceptical of psychics)

"Missing Girl's Mom Seeks Help From Famed Psychic, Carla Baron

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/9/prweb80585.htm

Its a weird situation. Also for anyone reading this, who might know something (and I'm sure people do) theres an $18,500 reward.

I really believe Bethany is alive and well somewhere. People don't bother to enroll children in school and take them to restaurants for no reason.This person is obviously intending keeping the child. Lets TRY and stop them!!

Is the lady who was with Bethany in the restaurant and at the school the lady that Bethany's father is supposed to have married? Has anyone been shown a photo? This sounds very easy to me....show a photo of the lady the father married to those who saw her. Was it the father's wife?

Lady Sleuth
JMHO

I don't know- I can't find any new information -its very frustrating. I guess as Bethanys fathers story was always suspicious they would have kept an eye on him. I did think that initially.

I mean I GUESS so, but I'm not sure. Surely the police would have met his new partner?? I HOPE they met all her friends as well................

This case just bugs me. I feel like it can be solved. But the longer it goes on..............

The woman attempted to enroll Bethany in school. That means she would probably try again. SOMEBODY IS TEACHING BETHANY. I hope they have sent her poster to every school in the state. And if that doesnt work, every school within 100 miles of the state. And if that doesnt work..........

Bethany sat in a restaurant with this woman, she went to a school and never spoke up- never screamed or yelled her real name. Either- she is very scared OR SHE KNOWS THE WOMAN.

Its SO annoying. This case can be solved. :banghead:

Bethany looks so incredibly familiar to me and I don't know why.

Very strange story. Reminds me of Steven Stayner, who lived with his captor for 7 years without telling anyone who he really was.

Arielle said:
Bethany looks so incredibly familiar to me and I don't know why.

Very strange story. Reminds me of Steven Stayner, who lived with his captor for 7 years without telling anyone who he really was.

Sad story....both of them.
Steven's thread, one of them, can be viewed here
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4642
He was brainwashed and lived in fear, and after some time could not remember his last name *sigh*
Hence the book "I Know My First Name Is Steven"

Prayers for Bethany, and for answers and soon.
With HOPE, Lanie

Of course, I would hope that not only the new wife was investigated, but also any aunts, grandmothers, or other female relatives (sister, cousin, etc.) of the father. An extended family can often be quite a support system, even for the crooked.

Schools, at least in the 80s did not pay any attention to children being enrolled under wrong names. When I was 5, my mom married a guy with the last name of Smith (changed for obvious reasons). My name had been Jane Jones (again, changed). I went to kindergarten under the name Jane Jones. Then, my mom told me my new name was Jane Smith. I remember learning how to spell it and everything. My stepdad never adopted me.

So, the next year, 1981, I went to a new school and enrolled under Jane Smith. My social security card still said Jane Jones, but no one asked any questions. Then, I moved again the next year, 1982, and again enrolled under Jane Smith. No one asked any questions. I moved again in 1983 and once again, no one said a word. Finally, I told a boy behind me that my real name was Jane Jones. He didn't believe me and told me that if it were true I would write it on my homework. So I did. My mother ended up getting called into a conference to ask why I was using a different name. I got in trouble at home AND at school for using my REAL name!!!

When I think of this story now it is very scary to me. What if a child was out there that was using his/her real name to draw attention and they end up calling the parent/abductor only to get the child into trouble! How crazy! Why wasn't a counselor called in before my parents were notified? This should have raised red flags.

I know it is a lot of pressure, but certain occupations have a responsibility to the community to watch for these types of situations. Teachers, doctors, nurses, even neighbors!

When I saw Bethany's photo, my heart almost stopped b/c she looks very much like one of my daughter's friends. It's NOT her, not at ALL, but at first glance, she looked like her. That's how easy it could be, though...someone knows this little girl and has no idea she is missing from her mother's arms. I pray someone will speak up and get this little girl home.

jat said:
When I think of this story now it is very scary to me. What if a child was out there that was using his/her real name to draw attention and they end up calling the parent/abductor only to get the child into trouble! How crazy! Why wasn't a counselor called in before my parents were notified? This should have raised red flags.

I know it is a lot of pressure, but certain occupations have a responsibility to the community to watch for these types of situations. Teachers, doctors, nurses, even neighbors!

Back in the 80's things were a lot different. No one realized the extent of kidnappings then. And it was generally felf that most were done by parents, and the school did not want to get involved in custody issues. After all the parent of the child must be caring for the child if they are enrolling them in school right? Now things are different. Schools are a lot different and they are a lot stricter.
But you do have a good point. When a child goes missing, they send out posters to police depts. Why aren't they sending them to schools, groceries, and doctors. Places that the child is possibly going to be?

jat said:
Schools, at least in the 80s did not pay any attention to children being enrolled under wrong names. When I was 5, my mom married a guy with the last name of Smith (changed for obvious reasons). My name had been Jane Jones (again, changed). I went to kindergarten under the name Jane Jones. Then, my mom told me my new name was Jane Smith. I remember learning how to spell it and everything. My stepdad never adopted me.....

Something similar happened to me, only with more name changes. My father died. When my Mom remarried, I was 3 and my sister 5. My mom decided we should all have the same name and we simply took our stepdads name, Lewis.They divorced 5 years later and we went back to our birth name -- for one year. Then she remarried and we took the new stepdads name -- there were never any adoptions or legal changes. During elementary school I went by three different names and no one even blinked! In High School she divorced and I went back to my dad's name. I will NEVER change it again.

Things ARE different now. I doubt (hope!) that people couldn't get away with such name changes now.

Project Jason announces that Bethany Markowski is the current 18 Wheel Angels campaign.

Anyone can participate in placing this poster by going to our website at http://www.projectjason.org/18wheel.html You may download and print the poster and place at local businesses or accessible public places.

Bethany has been missing since March 4, 2001. She was on a visitation with her father at the time. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children recently completed an age-progression photo of what Bethany may look like now. This photo is included on her 18 Wheel Angel campaign poster.

Bethany is also featured in our publisher partner, JB Scott's April issue of Through the Gears, which can be found at truck stops nationwide.

You can see her on their website http://www.truckjobseekers.com/ Click on the 18 Wheel Angels link.

Thank you for helping us to help Bethany be reunitied with her family!

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

I get the feeling that LE isn't doing enough to find this child. If they are suspicious that the father took her or knows where she is, why aren't they keeping tabs on him? Have they circulated a picture of his new wife to people who supposedly saw the woman and child together to see if it's the same person? More should be done until Bethany is reunited with her mother, and if it's proven the dad had anything to do with her disappearance, he should lose visitation rights.

I totally agree. This case really bothers me more than others for some reason. Its probably a mixture of things- not least that she really resembles my sister.........But its also the fact that Bethany was seen in the company of a caucasian female months after she went missing who was TRYING TO ENROL HER IN SCHOOL. I have such a gut feeling that Bethany is still alive............... Why would someone who was intending on "disposing" of her enrol her in school? it doesnt make any sense. I hope for Bethanys sake she is found safe and well soon. Please don't let her end up another "sharon marshall/tanya hughes/Suzanne Davies" case...................................

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/markowski_bethany.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washingtonsupersleuth
Back