790 users online (130 members and 660 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Level 5 Cyclone Yasi to hit north Queensland, Australia, 2 Feb 2011

Australia is preparing for another barrage of destruction today with the upgrade of Cyclone Yasi from High Level 4 to Level 5. The expected time for the cyclone to hit the coast of Queensland is 10pm (Queensland Time), which coincides with high tide. This combination will increase the impact severely. Winds are expected to reach 320km/hr (approx 200mph), and owing to the high tide there is an anticipated surge of water to 7m (approx 23 feet). Weather bureau has warned that the storm will be devastating to the region between Port Douglas and Townsville. Cairns has had large evacuations, with people being urged to flee to safe locations without their belongings.

Full Coverage:
    http://www.theage.com.au/environment/cyclone-yasi

Live Blog:
    http://www.theage.com.au/environment...202-1acsz.html

What is a "Cyclone"?
    From the Weatherzone website:
    In the southern hemisphere the name “tropical cyclones” is used and in the Northern Hemisphere, they are called “hurricanes”.

Both hurricanes and typhoons are tropical cyclones. A hurricane is a severe tropical cyclone originating in the equatorial regions of the Atlantic Ocean or Caribbean Sea, traveling north, northwest, or northeast from its point of origin, and usually involving heavy rains.

Typhoon is applied to intense tropical cyclones, which occur in the western Pacific Ocean. In Australia the terms "Tropical Cyclone" and "Severe Tropical Cyclone" are used.
    http://www.weatherzone.com.au/help/article.jsp?id=71
    Last edited by Flakes; 02-01-2011 at 08:54 PM.

HOLY COW! Duck and cover!
    The weather is totally outta control. It's crazy here and Lake Michigan is supposed to get to 18 feet. That's basically unheard of in the winter...much less any other time.

Run for high grounds and stay safe there!!

Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.

Major evacuation centres in Cairns are full, and authorities have announced if people have not left their homes already, then they are too late to do so at this stage. Trees along the coastline are already starting to succumb to the winds. It is predicted damage from the water front caused by the high tide + winds will be greater than the wind damage itself. The cyclone is expected to continue through as far inland as Mt Isa, and into the Northern Territory (the state to the west of Queensland).

I have friends on the coastline of Cairns who have sent us emails saying they're staying put at their property (they operate a popular tourist bar). It makes all of us very nervous to read that! They plan to congregate in the guest-room bathroom covered in mattresses. Nervous times!

Cyclone Yasi occupies position #6 on twitter at this stage, I expect it to rise as the disaster progresses. The hash tag appears to be #TCYasi – meaning Tropical Cyclone Yasi.

Yellow diagonal line at left marks the Queensland coast at the time of my posting:

Just so you can see the sense of humour that prevails amongst Australians, even in moments of imminent disaster, here is a snapshot:

Good Lord- stay safe, Aussies! Lots of strong weather this winter!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

[from the link]This timelapse uses false colour infrared imagery from JMA's MTSAT geostationary satellite & radar data from the Australia BoM to track the path of the Tropical Cyclone Yasi as it forms and heads towards the Queensland Coast. It has passed directly over the Willis Island radar which allows the Eye to be clearly seen by the radar and satellite imagery, and has now formed into a category 5 storm. It is expected to make landfall around 10pm tonight AEST.

For the latest satellite imagery please visit For the most current versions of this satellite imagery see http://www.theweatherchaser.com/

Follow @weatherchaser on twitter for updates.

Last edited by KateB; 06-10-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

wow...this weather....pretty soon up will be down and wet will be dry....
    This is all my opinion, which is subject to change with more information, if the wind changes direction, or if I wake up in a different mood...

To all our Aussie WSer's, stay safe and check in when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepThinker View Post
    wow...this weather....pretty soon up will be down and wet will be dry....
    That's so true. This is normally the time of year that Australia is dry, and burning out of control – especially the south-eastern-most states. You may remember Black Saturday, 7th February 2009? Bushfire burned over 4,500 km² (450,000 hectares, 1.1 million acres) in the state of Victoria, with 173 dead, 414 injured, 3500+ structures damaged, over 2000 houses lost. The fires broke out after a long, torturous heat wave, where temperatures were in the mid to high 40°C (approx. 110–120°F) and wind speeds in excess of 100 kilometres per hour (62 mph). At the same time, there were horrific fires in New South Wales, the state that sits between Victoria and Queensland.

This year it is the opposite. We have seen widespread flooding. Queensland and Victoria have both been hit with disasters in the last weeks. Queensland has seen damage above $3.5 billion and Victoria over $2.5 billion (in Australian dollars which are running pretty much neck-and-neck with the US and Canadian dollars atm). Flooding is still occurring in Victoria. A few days ago there was a cyclone threat to Perth (Western Australia) which proved to be less of a drama. But now the Severe Tropical Cyclone hitting Queensland, which will once again cause flooding in Queensland. It may well do so down the east coast of the continent as there is likely to be tremendous rain. Here in Melbourne (Victoria) we have just had another heat wave of unbearably hot days, and it is ready to start raining tonight.

We seem to go from one extreme to another. There are predictions that we are in for a ten year spell of high rainfall, which will be a welcome for most Australians given the alternative scenario is bushfires! The farmers are completely beside themselves though, as crops have been destroyed. This is going to play havoc with our usually plentiful supply of premium quality fresh produce. There is so much truth in the famous poem:

I love a sunburnt country,
    A land of sweeping plains,
    Of ragged mountain ranges,
    Of droughts and flooding rains.
    I love her far horizons,
    I love her jewel-sea,
    Her beauty and her terror –
    The wide brown land for me!

verse 2 of "My Country" by Dorethea Mackellar, 1904

In contrast this is what we are usually facing at this time of year:

And this is what we are seeing now:

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes ... Life goes on And we'd never want to live anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    To all our Aussie WSer's, stay safe and check in when you can.
    I'm in Victoria so well and truly safe. I'll try and keep you all up to date on the goings on in Queensland over the next few days! We are all sitting here holding our breath right now. The suspense is torture.

For anyone interested in the Zahra Baker case – Giru, the town where she lived, is smack bang in the middle of the path of the cyclone!

Important message to all Americans considering travel in Queensland, from the US Embassy in Australia:

The U.S. Consulate General in Sydney encourages all Americans in Queensland to keep aware of their situation and to follow the directions of Australian emergency authorities. We urge Americans planning to visit the affected regions to review carefully their travel plans. For emergency help during storms or floods, please call 132-500. The Queensland Government’s Department of Community Safety provides helpful information at: http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/

If you have urgent concerns or critical information about conditions in your area that you wish to bring to the Consulate’s immediate attention, please contact us at SydneyACS@state.gov, or telephone the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney during business hours at (02) 9373-9200 or (02) 4422-2201 for after hours emergencies.

Anna Bligh, Premier of Queensland has just warned the state that it should be prepared for "catastrophic devastation" in the next 24 hours. Very stressful times!

ETA is midnight (Eastern Standard Time) ie just over three hours from this post.

The central focus of the cyclone will hit the town of Innisfail, which was hammered by Cyclone Larry in 2006.

A live cam is broadcasting from Cairns with the support of national communications bodies (owing to the incredible number of hits to the page) at:

Cyclone Yasi - Cairns (#bigyasi) on Justin.tv

Not sure how long the visibility will continue with the cam as it's already dark and visibility is owing to street lights directly opposite the house. Cairns has already begun to lose power. At the moment it is showing huge winds in the palm trees around the house.

It is not safe for anyone to travel now.
    Last edited by KateB; 06-10-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Prayers for all of you in Oz - what terrifying times these are right now...........

This storm concerns me very much because my daughter is on the Gold Coast for the semester. Does anyone know if this cyclone will affect the Gold Coast? Between the flooding and now this... The weather is nuts. Stay safe everyone!

Powerful Cyclone Strikes Australia's Northeast

Witnesses reported roofs being ripped off, buildings shaking and trees flattened under the power of the winds. Officials said the storm surge would flood some places to roof level.

"This is a cyclone of savagery and intensity," Prime Minister Julia Gillard said in a nationally televised news conference as the storm moved toward the coast. "People are facing some really dreadful hours in front of them."

bbm the surge can be potentially as dangerous as the storm itself.

I truly can't imagine, alot of our members are there, praying for all of them

Quote Originally Posted by Searching101 View Post
    This storm concerns me very much because my daughter is on the Gold Coast for the semester. Does anyone know if this cyclone will affect the Gold Coast? Between the flooding and now this... The weather is nuts. Stay safe everyone!
    In looking at google maps the Gold Coast looks pretty far away. She should be ok, I've never been there but here is a link of the map. It looks like it is hundreds of miles away. Hope this helps a bit to ease your mind.

gold coast australia - Google Maps

To add Cairns is where it was supposed to make land fall just click on the up arrow to get to Cairns, you will see how far away it is
    Last edited by KateB; 06-10-2015 at 10:01 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast