748 users online (86 members and 662 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    KOOL LOOK is offline ~~~Sin is the Cause of all Sorrow~~~For this Gal, "Love" is my Vengence
    Somethings only the eternal Father can speak to. Saying that the mother needs help, moving towards uniting this family is no way condoning any choices this mother has made. What's it's saying is there is forgiveness, mercy and direction if one is willing to accept the help and responsibilites of correcting a wrong.

Jaimie doesn't need to lose a family, she needs a strengthened unified family with support from agencies and the community. Always remember, this could have been hidden for a lifetime. The evil has been brought out into the light so it can be dealt with.

Some people are compliant, some are self-strong willed. Raising compliant children is much easier than strong willed. We have to take all human kind and accept them, even with their faults. I sure am glad God doesn't throw me in the trash can when I'm broke or wrong.

I have been reading this thread and keeping up with the story since it began. Until this time, I have refrained from "speaking up" because the entire thing hits "too close to home" for me.
    Jami and her siblings MUST come first here. The mother, in my opinion, has proven herself unfit for the time being. I have no objection to supervised visitations--those are necessary for Jami--and I would recommend family counseling by a psychiatrist specializing in this area. However, reuniting the family at this time without considering the entire picture is damaging to the child (children). Children need to know that they are safe above all else. If Jami's mother was told what was going on and/or saw it and did nothing, those children cannot possibly feel safe. That is what is necessary to heal--if healing is possible--and sometimes it isn't.
    If Jami reads these posts in the future, some of you may be surprised to find that she might not be as upset by Deputy Linda's posts as you think. In fact, she may appreciate them, realizing that DL would have done ANYTHING to protect her.
    Keeping families together is important, but it cannot be the sole function of DFACS. Parental rights have to end where the children's rights begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora
    I have been reading this thread and keeping up with the story since it began. Until this time, I have refrained from "speaking up" because the entire thing hits "too close to home" for me.
    Jami and her siblings MUST come first here. The mother, in my opinion, has proven herself unfit for the time being. I have no objection to supervised visitations--those are necessary for Jami--and I would recommend family counseling by a psychiatrist specializing in this area. However, reuniting the family at this time without considering the entire picture is damaging to the child (children). Children need to know that they are safe above all else. If Jami's mother was told what was going on and/or saw it and did nothing, those children cannot possibly feel safe. That is what is necessary to heal--if healing is possible--and sometimes it isn't.
    If Jami reads these posts in the future, some of you may be surprised to find that she might not be as upset by Deputy Linda's posts as you think. In fact, she may appreciate them, realizing that DL would have done ANYTHING to protect her.
    Keeping families together is important, but it cannot be the sole function of DFACS. Parental rights have to end where the children's rights begin.
    Excellent post, Pandora. I agree 100%. Thanks for saying this!

My little sister was molested by our step father many years ago. She is now 30 and I am 36. This happened when she was 9. She did not tell me about it until she was 16 and swore me to confidence. I told mom about a year later because I couldn't take it. Mom thought she could do nothing after all these years. She said the statue was up by then and there was nothing anyone can do.

Even to this day I feel like I failed my little sister. When we were kids, I always watched out for my sister. She was so dedicated to missionettes. She had told me why, it was to get away from him.

I remember the first time I had intercourse with a man and it was for love. But my little sister was 9 yrs old and it was so wrong and NOBODY KNEW. There was a hunting rifle in our house and I assure you, had I know this was going on I would have figured out how to use it! My sister still hurts from what he did to her time and time again.
    Last edited by tybee204; 09-29-2004 at 05:58 PM. Reason: removed name and info
    This is just my opinion.

Just an update. I know a lot of you were following this case:

Mesquite girl's custody hearing reset

A 12-year-old Mesquite girl abducted by her stepfather last month will remain in foster care after a custody hearing for her and her twin 9-year-old brothers Thursday morning was rescheduled.

“I miss my kids very much and look forward to the time I have with them,” said the children’s mother, Angela Hudachek. “We are going through an ordeal in our life, but I know I’ll be with them again.”

A Child Protective Services employee assigned to conduct home studies on three households interested in custody had a medical emergency and could not testify or file the appropriate paperwork by Thursday.

Juvenile District Court Judge Cheryl Lee Shannon reset the hearing for Oct. 25 at the request of Hudachek’s attorney.

At a hearing last month, Judge Shannon ordered CPS to conduct home studies on the residences, which include those of a friend of the mother; the girl’s biological father, Sanford Hicks of Elk City, Okla.; and stepfather James Hudachek’s mother, Carol Keen of Akron, Ohio.

Neither Hicks nor Keen attended the custody hearing Thursday morning.

Hicks told DallasNews.com on Wednesday that he is doing everything he can to get custody of his daughter and will attend future custody hearings after the CPS study of his home is completed.

Hudachek’s attorney, Charles Rich, said resetting the hearing was in the best interest of the mother and children.

“Obviously this has been very hard on her and it’s upsetting,” he said. “It’s our hope that the children will be returned to her and, if not, then a family friend or family member.”

Mesquite pastor James Hudachek abducted his stepdaughter on Sept. 3 while his wife was out of town. According to a letter sent by the girl to her brothers, Hudachek took her through parts of the Northeast on what she thought was a vacation.

The search for them ended Sept. 15 at an Oklahoma City motel room when Hudachek fatally shot himself as officers approached his motel room.

Rich would not comment on a suicide note from James Hudachek to the girl’s mother found with the girl at the motel room, saying only that there is information from the letter that is relevant to the case.

The children have remained in foster care since CPS took custody of them the day James Hudachek killed himself.

In court documents, the agency contended that Angela Hudachek knew her husband had been molesting her daughter for years but did nothing to stop it.

Hudachek has denied any knowledge of sustained sexual abuse against the girl by her husband except for one incident she considered questionable when the girl was 6.

CPS spokeswoman Marissa Gonzales said Thursday that a home study conducted on the family friend has been completed.

“The other two have been initiated but interstate home studies take awhile,” Gonzales said, adding that the ultimate custody decision will be made by the judge.

Gonzales said the girl and her 9-year-old twin brothers are in separate foster homes but are able to visit each other and their mother during supervised visits.

The girl is attending an area Dallas school and continues to receive therapy. “She seems to be doing fine,” Gonzales said.

www.dallasnews.com

Update: Hearing held:

Mesquite girl will remain in foster care
    Judge: 12-year-old, twin half-brothers safer in state custody

A 12-year-old Mesquite girl abducted by her stepfather will remain in foster care after a judge decided she and her two half-brothers would be safer in state custody.

Juvenile District Court Judge Cheryl Lee Shannon said Monday the girl would remain in therapeutic foster care with parents trained to handle children who have been through traumatic experiences.

The boys, 9-year-old twin brothers, will remain in a separate foster home.

Marissa Gonzales, spokeswoman for Child Protective Services, said she was pleased with the ruling.

“We had many concerns as to (Hudachek’s) knowledge of the warning signs of abuse and we felt the children should remain in custody,” Gonzales said.

The children’s mother, Angela Hudachek, was grilled about how much she knew about alleged sexual abuse of her daughter, her own drug use and other matters that help decide custody issues.

Judge Shannon heard testimony from Hudachek, as well as the girl’s biological father, a Mesquite police detective, a Child Protective Services official, and others.

The girl and her two half brothers have been living in foster homes since September, when CPS took them into custody.

In taking custody of the children, CPS contended that Angela Hudachek knew her husband had been molesting her daughter for years but did nothing to stop it.

Hudachek has denied any knowledge of sustained sexual abuse except for one incident she considered questionable when the girl was 6.

On Monday, she testified that she wished she had investigated the incident further, but her daughter never said anything again. Had she known about sexual abuse, “I probably would have killed him,” she said of her husband. “Now I see what he was doing.”

She continued to reject suggestions that she knew of her husband’s interest in her daughter, even though she acknowledged referring to him as a “pedophile” on more than one occasion.

Under questioning from Michael Munden, a prosecutor for the Dallas County juvenile division, Hudachek admitted to marijuana use and said she would agree to drug counseling, but not parenting classes.

“I guess I could learn some stuff, but I’ve been a parent since I was 15 years old, for 19 years. It would be hard for me to say I need a parenting class,” she said.

Hudachek tearfully read aloud her husband’s suicide note, written over the course of a few days, in which he claims to have married her daughter two months earlier and apologizes for his actions.

“I can’t hide forever. You must be so disappointed. I’m just some stupid loser with two wives, both of which I’m abandoning,” he wrote.

CPS supervisor Stephanie Lopez testified that the girl told her that Angela Hudachek was aware of other incidents in which her stepfather had made sexual advances toward her.

Lopez testified that the girl should not be returned to her mother’s custody, arguing that Hudachek has “continued to show a pattern of domestic violence, choosing her own needs over her children.”

Mesquite police Detective Mark Bradford said a police investigation was pending, but it appeared that Hudachek had failed to protect her daughter, an accusation that could result in charges of injury to a child against her.

Also testifying was the girl’s biological father, Sanford Hicks of Elk City, Okla. Both he and his ex-wife testified that their relationship was volatile, involving domestic violence and periods in which he would disappear.

Both Hudachek and Hicks will be allowed hour-long weekly visits with the girl. Hudachek also has hour-long weekly visitation rights with her sons.

Hudachek and Hicks must undergo psychological evaluations, drug and alcohol testing and assessment and parenting classes.

A status hearing to review the case is scheduled for Nov. 10.

www.dallasnews.com

I'm from the area but haven't heard anything new. Does anyone have a new link regarding the Nov. 10th custody hearing?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9