636 users online (71 members and 565 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Ocala Natl Forest,WhtMale 281UMFL, 36-45, Australian coin, Dec'97

I stumbled across this dude while looking at a couple of other Florida cases.

Doe network case: 281UMFL
    NAMUS case: 2911 (https://identifyus.org/cases/2911 might work)
    Florida Department of Law Enforcement: known as John Doe 2, apparently

White male 36-45, about 5'6" (roughly 167cm.) and 144 lbs., who hanged himself in 1997.

Old gunshot wound on lower left leg.

From Doe: "He was wearing a green Nike cap, an Eddie Bauer jacket; blue Rustler jeans, size 33; a brown belt, brown hiking boots and thermal underwear. The golf logo on the man's shirt was traced to a country club in California. He had an Australian coin, leading investigators to think he may have been a foreign visitor to Florida, and three laminated four-leaf clovers. Experts will examine the plants to determine where they might have grown. He also had a white handkerchief, blankets, a pocket knife and a Swiss army knife attached to a chain around his neck. He wore Luxottica eyeglasses."

The photos in NAMUS show more possessions, including what appears to be a backpack that must have contained other clothing. Also a copy of The Celestine Prophecy: a Compact Guide to the Nine Insights. (I think I have that right.) I don't know whether that's a clue, but it's certainly unusual!
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-04-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Following the Australia idea, I came up with James Rothfield(http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1928dmnsw.html), who left New South Wales in July of 1996. Mr. Rothfield is or was schizophrenic. He's the right size, though at 31 when the UID was found, he'd be a bit younger than the age range.

Not sure about the resemblance. The chin is in the ballpark, though with Mr. Rothfield's head tilted, it's hard to be sure. The proportions of the face seem close. The cheekbones seem about right.

What do y'all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Following the Australia idea, I came up with James Rothfield(http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1928dmnsw.html), who left New South Wales in July of 1996. Mr. Rothfield is or was schizophrenic. He's the right size, though at 31 when the UID was found, he'd be a bit younger than the age range.

Not sure about the resemblance. The chin is in the ballpark, though with Mr. Rothfield's head tilted, it's hard to be sure. The proportions of the face seem close. The cheekbones seem about right.

What do y'all think?
    The resemblance is OK, and his height/weight and DLC are reasonably consistent. I'm just not sure there's enough there to overcome the glaring question of how a guy with mental issues who disappeared with no passport (or even an ID) could make it into the U.S. from Australia undetected, along with various possessions including a pair of glasses (which there is no indication that he wore).

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    The resemblance is OK, and his height/weight and DLC are reasonably consistent. I'm just not sure there's enough there to overcome the glaring question of how a guy with mental issues who disappeared with no passport (or even an ID) could make it into the U.S. from Australia undetected, along with various possessions including a pair of glasses (which there is no indication that he wore).
    It certainly sounds implausible, I agree.

I wonder if that was before Canada tightened up their immigration requirements? I think other former British colonies used to have more relaxed entry rules and he might not have needed a passport -- I'll have to look into that.

(OT -- my list of things to research is getting sooooooo looooong...)

His nose sure reminds me of Tony Clinch, who was supposed to meet his parents in England but disappeared after reaching France. Time frame maybe a little tight for getting to America, losing most of his identifiably Australian stuff and then suiciding and becoming very decomposed. He was a veteran, so maybe that's where the old gunshot wound is from... gun crime being not that big a thing in Australia.

http://www.missingpersons.gov.au/profile.aspx?Id=1349

Updated link for Tony Clinch: http://www.missingpersons.gov.au/mis...%20-%20os.aspx

He's a bit too tall but other than that everything seems to fit, and the timeline's not impossibly tight. It's hard to say what would make a man change his plans like that, but the mechanics of it seem plausible.

https://www.missingpersons.gov.au/wh...as/clinch-tony

Tony Clinch updated. Did anybody ever submit him? I don't think I did.