Cell phone pings & drive times

Previously posted on 2/5/2011

Background:
-SA first says he left work at 6:10 a.m. on 12.27.10 and went straight to his mom's house in Big Spring. This is what he told LE.
-After affidavits are released showing his cell phone was pinging in Colorado City from 6:35 to 6:56 a.m. (when cell service then stopped), he tells Billie he went to visit his grandmother in Dunn after leaving work. This puts him on the 208 which goes straight through Dunn and Colorado City and then connects to I-20.
-He claims (to Billie) no one was home at grandma's so he drove the 208 down past Colorado City and jumped on the I-20 to his mom's house in Big Spring.
=======================================

I just did a little map research on Google.

Monday, 12.27.2010

Billie leaves home at 6:30
She's on Hwy 208 from 6:32 to 6:55 (assuming they're doing the speed limit) and at her desk at Cogdell Memorial in Snyder by about 7 a.m.

Shawn leaves Weaver Pipeline Services in Snyder at 6:10
He's on Hwy 208 from about 6:15 to 6:35 p.m. when he gets back to CC city (assuming he's doing the speed limit)

Hwy 208 is the direct route for both of them. If both cars were doing the speed limit, they would have crossed paths when he was just getting off the 208 and Billie was getting on it. If he was driving much faster than the speed limit, I suppose he could have stopped at his grandma's in Dunn, knocked for a very short time, and gotten gotten off the 208 at around 6:30, just a minute or two before he would have passed Billie. But, he has to be near Billie's in CC from 6:35 to 6:56 per cell phone pings that hit off the same phone as Billie's house.

So, if he just exited the 208 onto the I-20 and drove straight through CC, what took him 21 minutes to get out of the CC cell tower range? I can't imagine he would be pinging off that same CC tower for 21 minutes headed down I-20 to Big Spring?. CC is a small city from what I understand, so it shouldn't be more than several minutes before he'd be out of that cell radius (I assume?). I think he had to have been doing something in CC for at least 10 minutes..

So, really, Billie's time line for SA on 12/27 a.m. is implausible to me when you consider the cell pings.

Note: I think tehcloser did something similar and more refined a few days ago when I was on and off the board. I'm gonna see if I can find her post for my own reference.

(my times are based on speed limits used for Google driving directions, so they're approximations only since we don't know how fast they were driving or if there was any traffic).

Previously posted on 2/5/2011

Background:
-SA first says he left work at 6:10 a.m. on 12.27.10 and went straight to his mom's house in Big Spring. This is what he told LE.
-After affidavits are released showing his cell phone was pinging in Colorado City from 6:35 to 6:56 a.m. (when cell service then stopped), he tells Billie he went to visit his grandmother in Dunn after leaving work. This puts him on the 208 which goes straight through Dunn and Colorado City and then connects to I-20.
-He claims (to Billie) no one was home at grandma's so he drove the 208 down past Colorado City and jumped on the I-20 to his mom's house in Big Spring.
=======================================

I just did a little map research on Google.

Monday, 12.27.2010

Billie leaves home at 6:30
She's on Hwy 208 from 6:32 to 6:55 (assuming they're doing the speed limit) and at her desk at Cogdell Memorial in Snyder by about 7 a.m.

Shawn leaves Weaver Pipeline Services in Snyder at 6:10
He's on Hwy 208 from about 6:15 to 6:35 p.m. when he gets back to CC city (assuming he's doing the speed limit)

Hwy 208 is the direct route for both of them. If both cars were doing the speed limit, they would have crossed paths when he was just getting off the 208 and Billie was getting on it. If he was driving much faster than the speed limit, I suppose he could have stopped at his grandma's in Dunn, knocked for a very short time, and gotten gotten off the 208 at around 6:30, just a minute or two before he would have passed Billie. But, he has to be near Billie's in CC from 6:35 to 6:56 per cell phone pings that hit off the same phone as Billie's house.

So, if he just exited the 208 onto the I-20 and drove straight through CC, what took him 21 minutes to get out of the CC cell tower range? I can't imagine he would be pinging off that same CC tower for 21 minutes headed down I-20 to Big Spring?. CC is a small city from what I understand, so it shouldn't be more than several minutes before he'd be out of that cell radius (I assume?). I think he had to have been doing something in CC for at least 10 minutes..

So, really, Billie's time line for SA on 12/27 a.m. is implausible to me when you consider the cell pings.

Note: I think tehcloser did something similar and more refined a few days ago when I was on and off the board. I'm gonna see if I can find her post for my own reference.

(my times are based on speed limits used for Google driving directions, so they're approximations only since we don't know how fast they were driving or if there was any traffic).

I think we are on the same page....maybe

The affidavit says the NORTH transmitter was hit for 20 minutes..6:36AM to 6:56 AM then SA turns phone OFF or battery out of phone

This area is not in the Dunn tower area...and this tower 724 starts coverage a little south of Buford and we know the time it takes to travel from Buford to I-20 is only about 7 minutes not twenty minutes

Do you think its probable that he was stopped in a location along 208 south of Buford...

The 20 minute time frame??? if he was moving would take less than 7 minutes and also another side of tower would be hitting... like the east transmitter as he is entering I-20....

Hope this is what you are thinking....no way could he spend 20 minutes and still be moving correct??

I think we are on the same page....maybe

The affidavit says the NORTH transmitter was hit for 20 minutes..6:36AM to 6:56 AM then SA turns phone OFF or battery out of phone

This area is not in the Dunn tower area...and this tower 724 starts coverage a little south of Buford and we know the time it takes to travel from Buford to I-20 is only about 7 minutes not twenty minutes

Do you think its probable that he was stopped in a location along 208 south of Buford...

The 20 minute time frame??? if he was moving would take less than 7 minutes and also another side of tower would be hitting... like the east transmitter as he is entering I-20....

Hope this is what you are thinking....no way could he spend 20 minutes and still be moving correct??

Yes, we are on the same page. If he didn't stop in Colorado City, why was his cell pinging off the tower that services Billie's house for at least 21 minutes before the phone went out of service? Makes no sense if he was just driving past CC on his way to Big Spring. He'd be in another tower's cell range well within 21 minutes (I presume)...

If SA gets charged with anything, I expect some story about stopping to visit someone in CC, or going through one of the 2 fast food places (if they have no surveillance)... He's gonna need to explain a stop there, not just a drive past, to explain those cell records, imo...

If the pings were for calls and texts only, keep in mind that he may have been in that area a lot longer. Alternatively, if he did make two calls/texts at that time (to bracket that period), he could have been stopped when he did that. That may account for the 20 minutes.

Yes, we are on the same page. If he didn't stop in Colorado City, why was his cell pinging off the tower that services Billie's house for at least 21 minutes before the phone went out of service? Makes no sense if he was just driving past CC on his way to Big Spring. He'd be in another tower's cell range well within 21 minutes (I presume)...

If SA gets charged with anything, I expect some story about stopping to visit someone in CC, or going through one of the 2 fast food places (if they have no surveillance)... He's gonna need to explain a stop there, not just a drive past, to explain those cell records, imo...

Yes the tower services Billie home area tower 724...but the transmitter that was pinging off the tower shows a tighter area that SA was actually at....

The affidavits says SA pings were off tower 724 on the towers northern coverage area transmitter.

This places him north of Hailey Home and north of I-20 between 6:36 and 6:56 somewhere between buford and I-20...

Maybe he pulled off and was hidden watching and waiting for the car Billie was riding in to go by...then turns off/disables phone and goes back home to Hailey..

Something has him stopped in that area (Im thinking) and we dont know how long he stayed there b/c he disabled the phone at this time he could have stayed put until around 9AM(maybe he already has Hailey) .....all we know is that the next time his cell phone is enabled is 9:56am at his moms home in Big Springs

Notice in the affidavits at 9:56AM he is pinged off the northwest transmitter of Tower 730...meaning his mom's home is north and west of the tower..but to me it looks more west and just a little north...maybe theres not a west or east transmitter...

Hope Im thinking clearly about the directions of these transmitters...

Just another working theory......

If the pings were for calls and texts only, keep in mind that he may have been in that area a lot longer. Alternatively, if he did make two calls/texts at that time (to bracket that period), he could have been stopped when he did that. That may account for the 20 minutes.

I think LE in the affidavits are working off the pinging of his phone and not the call logs...

Even if LE was using call logs ... If him is leaving work about 6:10 AM and with normal travel time it still put him south of Buford at 6:36AM.

Now he is staying in that area that is north of tower 724 until 6:56 when he decides to disable his phone....

But you are correct he could have stayed more than 20 minutes in this area.. indeed too much time in an area that SA stated as just passing thru to Moms

Something has him stopped in that area (Im thinking) and we dont know how long he stayed there b/c he disabled the phone at this time he could have stayed put until around 9AM(maybe he already has Hailey) .....all we know is that the next time his cell phone is enabled is 9:56am at his moms home in Big Springs

Notice in the affidavits at 9:56AM he is pinged off the northwest transmitter of Tower 730...meaning his mom's home is north and west of the tower..but to me it looks more west and just a little north...maybe theres not a west or east transmitter...

According to BD however he arrived at his mother's house before she left for work, so before 8AM. That should be easy enough for LE or BD to check, they could just ask the mother and she would confirm it (unless she was willing to become an accomplice to whatever might have happened). We don't know if the phone was enabled at 9:56AM, it might just have been when a call/text was made or recieved.

If he was at his mothers house at 8PM that doesn't leave a lot of time for nefarious deeds.

I think LE in the affidavits are working off the pinging of his phone and not the call logs...

Even if LE was using call logs ... If him is leaving work about 6:10 AM and with normal travel time it still put him south of Buford at 6:36AM.

Now he is staying in that area that is north of tower 724 until 6:56 when he decides to disable his phone....

But you are correct he could have stayed more than 20 minutes in this area.. indeed too much time in an area that SA stated as just passing thru to Moms

When trying to figure out a timeline I think it is pretty critical to know if it is a proper ping history or just a call ping history.

If they were working off the pinging they would have reported the data for Snyder as well as when he returned to CC and they didn't. So unless he routinely disabled his phone when traveling they are not using ping history. It is possible that he might simply be doing that to conserve power and if so you can't really use it to track his movements.

A question for the locals: how long does it take to drive through CC from when you recieve a signal until when you lose it?

A question for cell tower experts...

If cell tower 724 is located here

32.41262 -100.86900 - Google Maps

What area would be considered the
Northern coverage area transmitter for tower 724
Area north of I-20
Southern coverage area transmitter for tower 724
Area south of I-20

Am I correct in this direction of transmitters?

According to BD however he arrived at his mother's house before she left for work, so before 8AM. That should be easy enough for LE or BD to check, they could just ask the mother and she would confirm it (unless she was willing to become an accomplice to whatever might have happened). We don't know if the phone was enabled at 9:56AM, it might just have been when a call/text was made or recieved.

If he was at his mothers house at 8PM that doesn't leave a lot of time for nefarious deeds.

BBM

LE calls this period a break in usage...I dont think they mean he wasnt getting any calls during that time....

Looks like he would have many breaks in usage so why bother naming this one in the affidavit to seize the car...

I dont think we have a confirmation from SA's mom regarding her timeline...

When trying to figure out a timeline I think it is pretty critical to know if it is a proper ping history or just a call ping history.

If they were working off the pinging they would have reported the data for Snyder as well as when he returned to CC and they didn't. So unless he routinely disabled his phone when traveling they are not using ping history. It is possible that he might simply be doing that to conserve power and if so you can't really use it to track his movements.

A question for the locals: how long does it take to drive through CC from when you recieve a signal until when you lose it?

BBM

In the affidavit to seize the car... Im guessing it was NOT important to include synder pings as they already knew he was at work....but what the affidavit was trying to indicate is that SA Lied about not being in CC...so ping information was only given that show he was not where he said he was but instead near Hailey home....

Im guessing LE doesnt want to give out any more information than necessary since the affidavits are available to the public....

This is something I think is interesting:

- SA pings from CCity tower: 6:36-6:56
- BD in car on the way to work: 6:30-7:00

I posted this on a previous thread, but I think: (1) either he was having a regular conversation with BD (how was your drive in to work, what time are you getting off, are you able to pick me up today, what's for dinner, etc), OR (2) he was talking to an accomplice about what they were doing/where they were meeting, etc.

So I'm not sure what to make of that early morning conversation. If it wasn't BD he was talking to, then it had to be an accomplice b/c who else would you talk to at that hour?

*{am just bringing this over and putting this in our new Thread designated to: Timeline and detailed map of Shawn Adkins travels on 12/27/2010}*

Here's a little mapping I did with times and info..
Monday.December.27.2010

*(A)- WSI in Snyder {SA work}
6:00am- Adkins arrives at WSI in Snyder

6:10am- Adkins immediately leaves WSI without a word
He now claims from WSI he drove to grandmas in Dunn..distance from WSI to Dunn is 18mins..That would roughly put him in Dunn at..

*(B)- city of Dunn where Grandma lives
6:38am- According to Shawn per BILLIE "they" didn't answer the door at grandmas..
Shawn leaves Dunn and goes to Big Spring via continuing down 208 to the Interstate 20 junction..Also there needs to be an allotted amount of time for SA to park..go to door..and knock..not get an answer..return to car..and back on 208(Id guess 5-10mins..so we'll tack on 7mins allotted for this)With I20 being roughly 15mins from Dunn+the 7mins allotted time for grandmas stop..He'd be arriving at I20 junction around 6:50am{*note I20 is right there near Billies home}...

*(C)- Interstate 20/280 junction
6:50am-Shaun heads on I20 towards Big Spring.. From the I20 junction to Big Spring is approx. 48mins.. which would put Shaun at his mom's in Big Spring at about..

*(D)- Big Spring
7:38am- Arrives at mom's before she leaves for work at 8am

I'll attach the google map for reference..with each corresponding with A..B..C..D on google maps..
Shawns%20Timeline%20map.jpg

*{am just bringing this over and putting this in our new Thread designated to: Timeline and detailed map of Shawn Adkins travels on 12/27/2010}*

Here's a little mapping I did with times and info..
Monday.December.27.2010

*(A)- WSI in Snyder {SA work}
6:00am- Adkins arrives at WSI in Snyder

6:10am- Adkins immediately leaves WSI without a word
He now claims from WSI he drove to grandmas in Dunn..distance from WSI to Dunn is 18mins..That would roughly put him in Dunn at..

*(B)- city of Dunn where Grandma lives
6:38am- According to Shawn per BILLIE "they" didn't answer the door at grandmas..
Shawn leaves Dunn and goes to Big Spring via continuing down 208 to the Interstate 20 junction..Also there needs to be an allotted amount of time for SA to park..go to door..and knock..not get an answer..return to car..and back on 208(Id guess 5-10mins..so we'll tack on 7mins allotted for this)With I20 being roughly 15mins from Dunn+the 7mins allotted time for grandmas stop..He'd be arriving at I20 junction around 6:50am{*note I20 is right there near Billies home}...

*(C)- Interstate 20/280 junction
6:50am-Shaun heads on I20 towards Big Spring.. From the I20 junction to Big Spring is approx. 48mins.. which would put Shaun at his mom's in Big Spring at about..

*(D)- Big Spring
7:38am- Arrives at mom's before she leaves for work at 8am

I'll attach the google map for reference..with each corresponding with A..B..C..D on google maps..
Shawns%20Timeline%20map.jpg

Seeing this on your map helps...Is it possible that the 20 minutes he spend pinging the northern coverage area for Tower 724 included areas closer to Dunn than starting south of buford as shown on the verizon map...

Then we still have the big question...why did he disable his phone at marker "c" and enables it again at 9:56??

If tower 730 was being pinged in Big Spring and was pinging from the northwest tranmitter of tower 730....per affidavit and this is in the roughly general direction from the tower to the home ( its really more west by slightly north west)

Per affidavit SA is pinging tower 724 at 6:36 with leaving his work about 6:10 this would mean he is near Buford around that time ( no stopping in Dunn ) and could be arriving at Hailey home about 6:50... and then disables the cell phone at 6:56

The problem Im having is that the affidavits states clearly that the northern coverage area of cell tower 724 was pinging from 6:36 to 6:56 then phone has a break in usage. The tower being located on I-20 near CR208.

Why didnt the affidavit state that the southern usage area of tower 724 started pinging from about 6:45 to 6:56 and this is the normal tower transmitter for Hailey home...

How can the Northern area transmitter that cover Buford and also Hailey home...

Hailey home is definately SOUTH of this tower...

Cell towers usually have about 6 antenna/transmitters that can show the general direction from where the phone is pinging.... and it just a general direction and not a triangulation of any kind....but I just dont see how LE is calling her home in the Northern coverage area for tower 724....

Now Im not sure because LE affidavits state Hailey home is also in the Northern coverage area of tower 724.

Unless LE just mean to say only "tower 724" was Haileys home tower ...plus the fact that he lied and disabled his phone.

Anyone have any ideas...

I wanted to bring these posts over from the last 'thread'.

Okay, I found this interesting. This article is saying that even though a phone will ping when no calls are made, companies don't usually log that data into a database. They only log the data when a call is made or text sent. (ETA: So the "live" pings can be used to find a missing person, etc., but are not stored. Only calls/texts are stored. Make sense?)

So IF this is correct, then he was using the phone while pinging off the tower in CCity:

bbm
Cellular providers tend not to retain moment-by-moment logs of when each mobile device contacts the tower, in part because there's no business reason to store the data, and in part because the storage costs would be prohibitive. They do, however, keep records of what tower is in use when a call is initiated or answered--and those records are generally stored for six months to a year, depending on the company.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10...#ixzz1DBzNxgtN

Originally Posted by belimom
That's possible, but based on what that CNET article says (and CNET is a well-respected source in the tech world), I'm leaning more towards him having it on but just not making/receiving calls during that time, kwim?

If the company really does not log every little ping when we're all driving around and passing towers all day, then I think they just don't have a log of tower-by-tower pings as he drove around w/o making calls....hence the "break in usage" wording in the affidavit.

JMHO

Sorry to quote myself but I wanted to bounce off that post.

I'm thinking the timeline went something like this:

- SA arrives in CCity/starts making calls from 6:35 to 6:56, possibly to someone else - an accomplice? Or, it could have been BD calling/texting while she was driving to work - asking normal questions like "What are we doing for supper tonight?" "Did you make it work okay?" "Are you picking me up after work or do I need a ride?", etc. (I do think it's interesting that the calls that pinged off that tower would fit perfectly for the time that BD was in the car on the way to work: 6:30-7:00. As if, "Okay, hon, I'm at work now - gotta go" at 6:56am...(MOO). But whose phone would she have used if her phone was left at home that day?)

- SA does something to Hailey (IMHO) after that time but does not make calls b/c he's either too busy, is with/meeting the accomplice that he may have called in my first point above, or both

- He obviously makes calls at his mom's, but the affidavit doesn't say anything about calls after that, which I'm sure LE knows.

- 2:40: last ping from the tower in Big Spring, while 2:16 was the text to Hailey's friend. Where was that from? Again, I'm sure LE knows. If it were from the house, then I'm assuming LE would be leaning more towards validating the sitings on Monday, 12/27. But since they're not, I'm inclined to believe that the phone ping for that text was not in CCity. MOO

I wanted to bring these posts over from the last 'thread'.

Okay, I found this interesting. This article is saying that even though a phone will ping when no calls are made, companies don't usually log that data into a database. They only log the data when a call is made or text sent. (ETA: So the "live" pings can be used to find a missing person, etc., but are not stored. Only calls/texts are stored. Make sense?)

So IF this is correct, then he was using the phone while pinging off the tower in CCity:

bbm

You are correct... but I thought that the pinging of towers are "saved" for a short duration ...(remember how they tracked Brittannee they used the tower pings and not the call pings)

OK I found the article that lead me to this conclusion....the following article describes this type of data being "saved"..

CNET News.com published this report last winter

Mobile devices, when they are within range, constantly let cell towers and the mobile switching center, which is connected to multiple towers, know of their location. The mobile switching center uses the location information to ensure that incoming calls and messages are routed to the tower nearest to the user.

If a subscriber is unable to get service, this location information is usually purged from the mobile switching center. But some location information may remain in call detail records. Some mobile operators may store the most recent communication between a device and a mobile switching center for a certain period of time, usually 24 hours.When someone is missing, even this small bit of information can prove useful in determining the approximate location of a device using the updates from the mobile switching center. If the mobile subscriber is still within cell phone range, authorities can track his or her general movement by following the sequence of towers the phone has contacted or pinged. And if the cell phone goes out of range or runs out of battery power, the mobile operator may be able to use the last recorded location before the cell phone either lost its signal or lost power.

But the most useful information for locating people when they are lost comes when someone has initiated or received a call or text message on their phone. Mobile operators keep records of these events for billing purposes in what is known as a call data record, or CDR. And they can go back to these records to get a historical account of the cell phone's location.

The affidavits doesnt say if they are using the CDR (call data record) or that something else was available to them...

But lets say they are just using the call logs....we know they are saved...

Then SA made a call at 6:36 AM and again at 6:56 AM...

Billie is riding in the car with her friend to work at this time ... actually they should be passing each other at some point if both are on CR208

Both CDR's are off the northern coverage area of tower 724....per affidavit.

Im confused doesnt Hailey live in the southern coverage area of this tower?

A question for cell tower experts...

If cell tower 724 is located here

32.41262 -100.86900 - Google Maps

What area would be considered the
Northern coverage area transmitter for tower 724
Area north of I-20
Southern coverage area transmitter for tower 724
Area south of I-20

Am I correct in this direction of transmitters?

This map didn't come up for me (within the post). :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back