The grandmother's claims

[video=youtube;Ngl8NYMpQ80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngl8NYMpQ80[/video]

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=331376

While he is a "person of interest," he is not a suspect in the investigation, but Hailey's paternal grandmother, Connie Jones, thinks otherwise.

"You wanted Hailey out of that home, is that correct?" asked host Nancy Grace on her own show on HLN.

"Yes ma'am," answered Jones, adding she tried that last January.

Jones specifically mentioned she wanted to get the teenager away from her mom's boyfriend.

"Because Hailey told me that with him living there, in the past, that he would walk around at night time and the hall light would be on. You could see his shadow," said Jones on "Nancy Grace."

"Hailey was afraid of him?" clarified Grace. "Yes ma'am," answered Jones

I wish she and the aunt were interviewed more!
IMO, we would find out how distressed Hailey was!
esp. with SA

Can someone tell me where I can find what BD & SA said about birth control for Hailey? TIA

Can someone tell me where I can find what BD & SA said about birth control for Hailey? TIA

Personally, I don't have a problem with Billie speaking to HD about birth control. It would be stupid not to discuss it with a 13 yr old. It certainly doesn't mean she condones the child having sex, it just means she needs her child to
be informed and educated for her own sake.

But I do have a problem with SA calling her boy crazy or promiscuous or whatever it is he really said. And why would he discuss anything about Billie giving her 'the talk'? It is normal to inform your child and it does not mean they are promiscuous. I think he was trying to paint a picture of hailey as a wild child so the cops would believe she ran off with an older kid/ JMO

Posting for reference, from Billie's Blog Talk Radio interview Feb 7:

Host: why would Hailey tell her grandma Connie and her aunts, Cindy (phonetic) and Theresa, I believe, and don’t quote me on this, that she was either scared of Shawn, or afraid to go home, just days before she went missing?

Billie: They didn’t tell me that. I don’t feel like Hailey would’ve been afraid to tell me that. Connie, Clint’s mother, she came out with that, told us that, about, just a couple of weeks ago on Nancy Grace, but she had never mentioned it to us before. If she had, I would have definitely asked Hailey about it. I don’t feel she was scared of him at all though.

Posting for reference, from Billie's Blog Talk Radio interview Feb 7:

Host: why would Hailey tell her grandma Connie and her aunts, Cindy (phonetic) and Theresa, I believe, and don’t quote me on this, that she was either scared of Shawn, or afraid to go home, just days before she went missing?

Billie: They didn’t tell me that. I don’t feel like Hailey would’ve been afraid to tell me that. Connie, Clint’s mother, she came out with that, told us that, about, just a couple of weeks ago on Nancy Grace, but she had never mentioned it to us before. If she had, I would have definitely asked Hailey about it. I don’t feel she was scared of him at all though.

but she had never mentioned it to us before. If she had, I would have definitely asked Hailey about it. I don’t feel she was scared of him at all though.

MENTIONED it? What a weird choice of words to use here. Do you 'mention' to someone that their daughter is afraid of the live in boyfriend because he stands out side her bedroom door in the middle of the night?

And the last 2 sentences are PERFECT. Yeah, sure if she had 'mentioned' it I really would have 'asked' Hailey about it, BUT I am sure she wasn't so whatever.

Yes, I agree, BD's use of the word "mention" when referring to something as serious as her daughter's fear of her BF DOES seem like a poor word choice. To "mention" something implies a casual remark or to speak of something in a cursory manner.

Nevertheless, the current circumstances beg the question:

If the adult who Hailey approached with her fears (when she was reportedly 11 years of age - a child) did not go directly to her mother & discuss this serious issue with her, but, instead, gave this child *instructions* i.e. "If he ever tries anything, you tell your mom and your dad" - as far as I'm concerned, that adult failed in advocating for a vulnerable child - her granddaughter, no less.

How many years have BD & CD been married? IDK, but, according to this article, CD said he's known BD for 20 years.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/26469659/detail.html

IMO, that's plenty of time for a MIL to feel comfortable enough to approach BD directly with something as serious as her granddaughter's fears of SA (despite the estranged marital relationship between BD & CD).

Hailey was crying out for help & protection when she was 11 years of age. She was (and is) a child, FGS! She shouldn't be expected to advocate for herself!

Hailey's g-ma says she told CD, but she doesn't remember what he said. IMO, that sounds like an excuse to me.

It seems to me there have been several adults who Hailey should have been able to count on, but who tragically let her down.

MOO

hollyblue, when I opened the link it said 'no match'.

Maybe it's a time thing....IDK, but you need to go the main page of HD's forum and use the Search Forum title in the upper left, iirc. and key in birth control.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Billie speaking to HD about birth control. It would be stupid not to discuss it with a 13 yr old. It certainly doesn't mean she condones the child having sex, it just means she needs her child to
be informed and educated for her own sake.

But I do have a problem with SA calling her boy crazy or promiscuous or whatever it is he really said. And why would he discuss anything about Billie giving her 'the talk'? It is normal to inform your child and it does not mean they are promiscuous. I think he was trying to paint a picture of hailey as a wild child so the cops would believe she ran off with an older kid/ JMO

"During the onset of the investigation, ADKINS indicated Hailey DUNN was a good girl and was very positive about her character. As the investigation continued ADKINS began to report that Hailey DUNN was promiscuous, sexually active, and participated in drug use. ADKINS is the only person to tell investigators about any negative characteristics. All other witnesses and relatives except a juvenile male friend, and a cousin described Hailey DUNN in a very positive light. Both the juvenile friend and the cousin made statements that Hailey DUNN may have attempted to obtain marijuana in the past."
http://casesignal.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/hailey-dunn-search-warrant-affidavit-january-6-2011/
BBM

We don't know what questions SD was asked to give those comments. Again, this affidavit is vague regarding the context in which statements were made

"SD was the only person....except for......." Are you the only person or not? Did he use the word "promiscuous"???? (If he did thats reallly creepy). LE also mentions promiscuous and sexually active. You'd have to be one to be the other. KWIM? The negative thing the friend and cousin said was HD may have attempted to get weed. "May have"?

Confusing and contradictory IMO

And I agree you should have the talk with a 13 yr old. Probably before.

Yes, I agree, BD's use of the word "mention" when referring to something as serious as her daughter's fear of her BF DOES seem like a poor word choice. To "mention" something implies a casual remark or to speak of something in a cursory manner.

Nevertheless, the current circumstances beg the question:

If the adult who Hailey approached with her fears (when she was reportedly 11 years of age - a child) did not go directly to her mother & discuss this serious issue with her, but, instead, gave this child *instructions* i.e. "If he ever tries anything, you tell your mom and your dad" - as far as I'm concerned, that adult failed in advocating for a vulnerable child - her granddaughter, no less.

How many years have BD & CD been married? IDK, but, according to this article, CD said he's known BD for 20 years.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/26469659/detail.html

IMO, that's plenty of time for a MIL to feel comfortable enough to approach BD directly with something as serious as her granddaughter's fears of SA (despite the estranged marital relationship between BD & CD).

Hailey was crying out for help & protection when she was 11 years of age. She was (and is) a child, FGS! She shouldn't be expected to advocate for herself!

Hailey's g-ma says she told CD, but she doesn't remember what he said. IMO, that sounds like an excuse to me.

It seems to me there have been several adults who Hailey should have been able to count on, but who tragically let her down.

MOO

We have only BD's word that Hailey did not come to her.
We do have a grandma who attempted to get custody of her.
Hailey is missing, SA is the only suspect, and BD continues to
have a relationship with him.
That tells me that it would have been useless for Hailey to go
to her mother for help but she well might have anyway.
SA said Hailey was sexually active. How would he know? tai.
CD moved right across a field so Hailey could have a place to run to.
She told CD she wanted to live with him.
She didn't tell CD about SA b/c she was afraid her daddy would end
up in jail for hurting SA, which, imo may have been something
SA said to her to keep her quiet.
She had advocates, but the system failed her, b/c they failed to prove BD unfit. SA didn't have a history. If I'm mistaken and there was no custody battle with this grandmother, someone please correct me.

BD and SA aren't physically ugly. Up until that Monday they both worked, though I don't know their work history.
No drug arrests, crimes against children, CPS reports that we know of.
Only Hailey could have changed the situation by telling a teacher, and the I love yous to her teacher imo was Hailey wondering if she could trust her.
Abused children do have trust issues.
moo

pro·mis·cu·ous (pr
schwa.gif
-m
ibreve.gif
s
prime.gif
ky
oomacr.gif
-
schwa.gif
s)
adj. 1. Having casual sexual relations frequently with different partners; indiscriminate in the choice of sexual partners.
2. Lacking standards of selection; indiscriminate.
3. Casual; random.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/promiscuous
According to LE, this is how SA discribed Hailey.

We have only BD's word that Hailey did not come to her.
We do have a grandma who attempted to get custody of her.
Hailey is missing, SA is the only suspect, and BD continues to
have a relationship with him.
That tells me that it would have been useless for Hailey to go
to her mother for help but she well might have anyway.
SA said Hailey was sexually active. How would he know? tai.
CD moved right across a field so Hailey could have a place to run to.
She told CD she wanted to live with him.
She didn't tell CD about SA b/c she was afraid her daddy would end
up in jail for hurting SA, which, imo may have been something
SA said to her to keep her quiet.
She had advocates, but the system failed her, b/c they failed to prove BD unfit. SA didn't have a history. If I'm mistaken and there was no custody battle with this grandmother, someone please correct me.

BD and SA aren't physically ugly. Up until that Monday they both worked, though I don't know their work history.
No drug arrests, crimes against children, CPS reports that we know of.
Only Hailey could have changed the situation by telling a teacher, and the I love yous to her teacher imo was Hailey wondering if she could trust her.
Abused children do have trust issues.
moo

bbm

I agree that it was probably useless for Hailey to talk to her mother about her fears of SA. I suspect that she may have tried (but IDK), and given what we have heard & read from BD about her feelings toward SA, if Hailey HAD approached her, it wouldn't surprise me at all if BD had shrugged her off. I've stated as much in previous comments on other threads.

My most recent comment in this thread was not about whether or not HD told her mother about her fears.

My most recent comment was about a child (who had reportedly confided in a trusted adult - her grandmother) being instructed: "If he ever tries anything, you tell your mom and your dad."

http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1101/13/ng.01.html

A child should not be expected to be her own advocate regarding her fear of her mother's lover.

Only Hailey could have changed the situation by telling a teacher

Hailey was not responsible for changing the situation by telling a teacher. She was a child (11 years old when she told her grandmother she was afraid of SA). She turned to someone she trusted - her grandmother, who reportedly told Hailey's father.

If these statements are true - two adults were made aware.

I stand by my opinion:

As a child, Hailey reached out to someone about her fear of SA. IMO, the warning signs of impending danger were all there, based on everything we have learned about the history of BD's & SA's relationship these past weeks.

In terms of the *system* failing her - if it's true that SA threatened to kill Hailey last February 2010, I agree - something should have been done to protect Hailey from possible harm, since, IMO, it was apparent her mother was incapable of doing so (by continuing a relationship with the person who had made homicidal threats, and then subsequently moving that very person into her home where her children lived). Even if SA *only* threatened to kill BD, I still agree the *system* failed Hailey. After SA's threats of murder that "would be remembered for a long time", something should have been done to ensure that BD's children were not at risk.

Protecting Hailey was the responsibility of the adults who had been made aware, whomever they were & are - whether that person was/is her mother, or her grandmother, or her father, or the *system*, or whomever, or...

All of the above.

I won't make excuses for adults. IMO, the adults have offered more than enough excuses for themselves.

Meanwhile, Hailey, a vulnerable little girl, is missing.

Was Hailey taking birth control? I didn't find BD's comments on birth control so IDK.

Some schools teach sex education classes but maybe only in high school.

If I had a daughter, I would purchase age appropriate books for her to read on women's sexuality that teach her to respect her body, understand the physical & emotional changes she would be experiencing, and how to take care of herself. Birth control would not be the main focus of my talks with my daughter. Women need to learn to record when they have their period and learn to do breast examinations etc. They need regular visits with their GP. It is a journey for both mother and daughter. JMO

As a professional, if I had a child tell me anything that even suggested that any sort of abuse was going on in the home and I did not report it within 24 hours of being told, I would lose my professional license and I could be charged with neglect and fined. It is sad that many people here in Texas appear to be afraid of initiating the CPS system for fear that they "destroy families".

CPS does not destroy families, alcoholism, drug use, physical violence, some times gambling or other addictive behaviors can destroy families, but CPS would have absolutely no reason to get involved in a family if the children in the family were being taken care of and provided for appropriately. That may mean that as a parent one would need to forgo their pack of smokes for the day and get their kid some food, but by making the decision to bring that life into the world you become ultimately responsible for providing for that individual until they become a legally recognized adult!

Okay, thanks for listening. I will step down off of my soap box now.

It's easy to fault the grandma IF she didn't tell anyone. Fact is we don't know that she didn't tell CD and we don't know that CD didn't confront BD or SA about it. I've often wondered if that was what the fight that I read about (can't remember where) between CD and SA stemmed from.
I've also wondered if HD told Grandma in confidence and Grandma felt the need to keep that confidence while trying to lead HD to tell herself. I know it's not the right choice. I'm sure if that's what happened Grandma knows, too.
When my friend and I were Girl Scout Leaders we always told our girls they could tell us anything and if needed we'd keep a secret UNLESS it was something that was wrong and could hurt them or someone else. We did suspect one of the girls was being abused by her weird step dad but she never confided in us and we often have wondered to each other if she was and didn't tell us because she thought it would make it worse on her at home if she did tell.
Fact is I have only BD questioning why she was never told that before and I think she has her own agenda.
I'm not ready to beat Grandma up because I just don't trust BD stories.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onaquest
Back