NE - Omaha Double Murder #3 - *Arrest Made*

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
Please continue here.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96561"]Thread 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67963"]Thread 1[/ame]

Last few posts:

Interesting, his hair appears to be black in that photo.

JMHO
fran

What could be the ONE WORD in an autopsy report that would make the Medical Examiner's Office question MB and cause them to review 12 of the autopsies he performed, 11 of which were related to criminal cases?

brudsaunt said:
It's not one word,03:11 PM I don't think. It's a series of words, I would think. It's an obvious mistake, or lack of thoroughness, or a mismatch between the description of the findings and the final impression.

It's probably standard that if they found one mistake that they review the
last few autopsies, especially in high stakes cases.

I found this article on the NPR site today and found it interesting. It discusses the problem of incompetent Medical Examiners. While there is no mention of MB, other example illustrates the problem. I get the impression that Forensic Pathology is not a popular specialty and it is hard for municipalities to find competent ones. There may also be a tendency for marginal physicians to gravitate to that field.
http://www.npr.org/2011/02/07/133562389/second-chances-shows-flaws-in-death-investigations

What is going on in Canada is all very confusing. They are being very quiet
about what exactly the inaccuracies or inconsistencies of MB's autopsies
are. Why, I'm not sure.

It may be because he's involved in a high profile murder in which
the police are in trouble for not answering a 911 call for 15 hours at the site
of a murder, or because there are so many cases for which he did autopsies--three of which have already resulted in court findings. All that has to be reviewed. Or it may be because of MB's involvement with the Omaha
case. Or both. What a mess for the Calgary legal system! And for two
Omaha families.

If it's because they fear a rash of appeals in the court cases, it's not right to
keep quiet about whatever he did wrong with the autopsies. Justice is honest.

brudsaunt said:
What is going on in Canada is all very confusing. They are being very quiet
about what exactly the inaccuracies or inconsistencies of MB's autopsies
are. Why, I'm not sure.

It may be because he's involved in a high profile murder in which
the police are in trouble for not answering a 911 call for 15 hours at the site
of a murder, or because there are so many cases for which he did autopsies--three of which have already resulted in court findings. All that has to be reviewed. Or it may be because of MB's involvement with the Omaha
case. Or both. What a mess for the Calgary legal system! And for two
Omaha families.

If it's because they fear a rash of appeals in the court cases, it's not right to
keep quiet about whatever he did wrong with the autopsies. Justice is honest.

I think it is probably taking time to sort things out. This is now an international case and it sounded like the OPD and Calgary police are cooperating. This whole thing is a mess.

I now understand why this investigation has taken so long. It has probably taken hours, hours, hours of research to track MB's background. He has moved around ALOT! Go OPD!

I am glad you joined us and I enjoy your contributions to the thread!

All MOO

wm

There was a recent case in Ontario where a Medical Examiner (I believe named "Smith") conducted a number of autopsies that later became suspect. People were convicted of murder on the basis of "cause of death" determination that may have been wrong. This has become a national scandal and the authorities in Alberta are fearful of the same thing happening up there.

While most autopsies are "routine", people die of heart attacks, suicides accidents etc when they are not under treatment for some life threatening disease. Most are what they appear to be, but there are some situations that are not clear yet the determination can have a critical significance to many people's lives.

There was a recent case in Ontario where a Medical Examiner (I believe named "Smith") conducted a number of autopsies that later became suspect. People were convicted of murder on the basis of "cause of death" determination that may have been wrong. This has become a national scandal and the authorities in Alberta are fearful of the same thing happening up there.

While most autopsies are "routine", people die of heart attacks, suicides accidents etc when they are not under treatment for some life threatening disease. Most are what they appear to be, but there are some situations that are not clear yet the determination can have a critical significance to many people's lives.

I believe Belenky worked with or under Dr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudsaunt
It's not one word, I don't think. It's a series of words, I would think. It's an obvious mistake, or lack of thoroughness, or a mismatch between the description of the findings and the final impression.

It's probably standard that if they found one mistake that they review the
last few autopsies, especially in high stakes cases.

According to the article I read, It was one word on an autopsy report by MB that raised questons.

I believe Belenky worked with or under Dr. Smith.

Hi YD! Is Dr Smith from BC? Where was MB at the time of the Smith scandal? I just wondered if you knew anything specific or if this is a gut feeling you have. TIA

wm

Yellow Dog,

One article said the whole probe into his autopsies started because someone wanted an "explanation of terminology." It's difficult to imagine what term
they were looking into or why. One could imagine it was a medical term...
Sometimes they debate terminology about how lungs look when comparing drownings or suffocation. I don't know.

I believe Smith was in Montreal. Weird timing with the two. Smith lost his
license. They said about him that maybe some innocent people were convicted
and some guilty people may have gotten away.

Get your medical care in the States! (or autopsies on loved ones.)

It appears that MB had some publications of his research (benign things)
when he lived in Russia.

I have been working on a timeline of MB's movements. I've been hoping that more info about him will be printed in MSM before I post it.

I am still searching for that missing block of time from 1990 til 2003 when he enrolled at UN, (the first time).

He then enrolled at UN med center a 2nd time?in 2005 for one month before tranferring to CU.

If anyone can help me in accounting for this missing time I'd appreciate it because I am stuck! TIA

wm

Matilda,

There's a research article by a Michael A. Belenky in Russia on the web that
was done in conjunction with researcher in Calgary in 1992.
Whether the work was done in 1992 or the article was published in 1992
is not known. So I don't know when he came to the States.

Do we know for sure if MB's middle initial is A?

Matilda,

There's a research article by a Michael A. Belenky in Russia on the web that
was done in conjunction with researcher in Calgary in 1992.
Whether the work was done in 1992 or the article was published in 1992
is not known. So I don't know when he came to the States.

Do we know for sure if MB's middle initial is A?

brudsaunt,

I sure wish I knew his middle initial. I went to a site called 'spokeo' and was surprised at the number of MB's in the US. There was a listing for MB in Omaha but no middle initial. Thanks for the info. I'll keep digging and check out some other people finder sites and see what I come up with.

wm

I've been obsessed. Scouring the newspaper and the web for clues. Wanting resolution. Have to step back. I'm going to pay attention to real life for a while, but I'll be back.

Had a conversation with someone close to the case. Evidently Hunter's
don't suspect MB. Good people can't conceive of someone doing something so appalling.
Somehow MB was really ruled out long ago, according to this source. I should have
asked how...

There's at least one person who knew MB in his residency who still suspect him I guess MB was just not a good doctor and Hunter suppported him back then. Does that mean MB worshipped WH? No, not a given. There could have been deep-seeded resentments
dating back to Russia. Is he still a suspect? I think so. But I'm backing off. Staying open-minded is important.

Keeping an eye on the happenings in Calgary might help. If he did it,
he might crack under the scrutiny.

If he didn't, may we find out soon who did.

Thanks brudsaunt! Hope to see you back soon. I understand the need to take a step back at times. I do the same myself. Let's all keep and open mind and I guess time will tell the story.

Hopes and Prayers to the Hunter/Sherman families and OPD for a resolution in this case.

wm

Hi YD! Is Dr Smith from BC? Where was MB at the time of the Smith scandal? I just wondered if you knew anything specific or if this is a gut feeling you have. TIA

wm

Hi WM:
I could swear I read somewhere that MB worked under Dr. Smith, but I've scoured the internet and cannot find the article again. I'll keep looking because I may be very wrong about that.

I had a thought this evening: what would MB say to us if he posted? Lets assume for now that he really is innocent; his life has taken a big hit with the investigation in Alberta and now this. He is either in seclusion or not commenting on his situation. He is clearly a highly intelligent man. You don't get a deputy ME job if you aren't. He may have fudged on his background but if he is indeed innocent he must feel he has a LOT he'd like to say.
It's too much to expect him to get on the board and given his situation I doubt he will. I think we'd all like to hear his side of the story...

brudsaunt- We all appreciate your comments the past few days.

Guilty or innocent, I doubt that MB would ever post on here. Anything he did post here could come back to haunt him in a trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back