Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: NE - Omaha Double Murder #3 - *Arrest Made*

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...393/story.html

Don't know if this adds much, but here it is for your reading pleasure. Who knows, maybe clues can be found in small things...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to brudsaunt For This Useful Post:

I want those of you who still post from time to time on this thread that it is very much appreciated. It keeps me from having a public conversation with myself on line and more importantly, keeps this thread and the case active.

I continue to believe it is vital to keep this active. Someone out there knows the truth in this case, especially the killer(s). We all have our lives and other issues and after four years it would be easy to just shrug and move on. I intend to keep this torch lit as long as is necessary for Tom and Shirlee.

FWIW, I have a few theories about this case but have not formed any firm ones as yet. I think I may have some idea where OPD may be looking; of course I can't post that. Let's carry on- I think it matters more than we know.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Snick! Thank you for keeping this alive. I will check in more often. I will never forget poor Tom or Shirlee and the people that loved them. I pray for a break... any break soon.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frigga For This Useful Post:

Thank you Snick for keeping this thread alive. I usually just lurk lately when new posts arise because I just don't really have any new theories. I hope there will be a break in this case soon.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozzie For This Useful Post:

I have not been posting much on this case as there has not been anything much to post about. Today I went back over old postings and wanted to throw out one of the ideas that has been percolating in my mind lately; that this murder could have been linked to Tom's activities at the Omaha YMCA.

Tom participated in a basketball league and his father took him to the downtown branch on Saturdays; it sounds to have been a father/son ritual- they would go out for lunch afterwards. I used to live near downtown before my marriage in 1991 and belonged and worked out there for awhile, this would have been in the mid 80's.

I cannot speak for what it was like when they went there. I have not posted much about this before because I do not want to offend anyone. I am very liberal in my social attitudes and supportive of Gay rights. I think however I was not alone in being disturbed by the atmosphere I ran across in the locker rooms. It reminded me a bit of what I have read about some of the bath houses- except there was no overt action. You'd have to be very blind not to sense you were in a sexually charged atmosphere. I quit going there as a result.

I do wonder- did Dr H accompany Tom when changing or showering after the game? IOW, could someone, maybe with a prior history of pedophilia, have hit on Tom? It'd have been easy to have followed them after they left, a perp could have figured out where they lived. Maybe this guy befriended Tom and somehow set up a visit? I'd like to know if OPD ever investigated that?

They so bungled this case at the outset. I believe some old school detectives bet the case on there being some drug thing in Shirlee's family and went down that road while real leads grew cold. I also understand that while they ran checks on car rentals in Omaha around then, they did not do so for nearby locations, not even Council Bluffs! Current investigators could perhaps do worse than to look over YMCA records from about 2007-8 and see if any members had criminal records.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

A homosexual angle? Why Shirlee? Wouldn't Dr. Hunter have been much more protective, especially if he sensed insane, murderous pedophilia? Tom would have had to make someone noticeably angry.

My humble opinion...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to brudsaunt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brudsaunt View Post
    A homosexual angle? Why Shirlee? Wouldn't Dr. Hunter have been much more protective, especially if he sensed insane, murderous pedophilia? Tom would have had to make someone noticeably angry.

My humble opinion...
    And it's a perfectly valid one. Shirlee IMO may have been taken out simply because she was there, I believe she was there at a different time than usual and maybe the intruder meant to see Tom. Dr H might not have sensed anything about such a person, and may not even have been aware of his interest in Tom, Tom for that matter may not have been aware of the interest either. It's easy to imagine someone following them home from the Y and making note of where they lived.

My uderstanding is that Shirlee was attacked from behind and possibly by surprise. Not sure how this fact fits in...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

No idea of the validity of any of this, but there's an unusual amount of focus on Omaha/Western Iowa in terms of various pedophile ring discussions:

http://youtu.be/NYfPSzwJG04

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...maha+pedophile

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=104x3450057

it all seems rather far-fetched, but, then again, why the focus on Omaha for these sort of sordid tales? when Snick mentioned downtown Omaha + potential for a pedophile angle, I recalled seeing these a few years back.

yuck.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thesaint For This Useful Post:

I didn't click on the links Saint, however if the youtube videos are what I think they are, Idk how much credit I put into them. The ones I am referring to consist of a man walking around in the Old Market area of Omaha and pointing out places that supposedly contained some sketchy things, he even goes to Hummel Park in N.Omaha. I'm not saying those things did not happen, I just do not have enough information or evidennce.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozzie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    I didn't click on the links Saint, however if the youtube videos are what I think they are, Idk how much credit I put into them. The ones I am referring to consist of a man walking around in the Old Market area of Omaha and pointing out places that supposedly contained some sketchy things, he even goes to Hummel Park in N.Omaha. I'm not saying those things did not happen, I just do not have enough information or evidennce.
    Which brings us back to the Franklin Credit Union scandal in the late 80's. The former head of that financial institution was accused of running a pedophile ring, and worse and the scandal and accusations led to some very high places in Omaha. It has been largely debunked but I have to say from my past viewpoint as a social services worker here, some of it may have been true.

I am aware of the video where the guy is walking around the Old market area whispering about satanic abuse, etc. Someone a couple years back on one of our threads also posted a link to this. I wouldn't throw it aside, but I'd be careful of giving it too much credence.

It occurs to me that the Hunters and many at CU socialized in circles that included some of the same sorts of people. Please note I am not suggesting any involvement on their part but- in the previous scandal, many accused were people of wealth and success in Omaha.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

I've always thought this case could have sexual undertones. Tom could have easily been duped into something by an older man and then threatened to expose him to his parents or the authorities. To me, this seemed like a preplanned murder of vengeance or fear of exposure to the community.

I've also thought the murderer could have been someone from right there in the neighborhood.

I hate that a murder in broad daylight in a residential area in one of the best sections of town remains unsolved after over four years.
    YellowDog

These are my opinions only and should not be misconstrued as factual.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YellowDog For This Useful Post:

Today Thomas would have turned 16.

I think about how sweet summertime is for a 16 year old boy in Omaha - hanging out with friends, playing basketball at the schoolyard, walking up to eCreamery for some ice cream, swimming at the pool, and getting your driver's license! Experiencing the freedom of a young teen - borrowing the family car, and getting your first summer job. Earning enough money to go to the movies or the pizza place at Aksarben with your buddies. Beautiful, warm summer nights. Watching the fireworks at Memorial.

People are out and about all over the Dundee neighborhood, enjoying the long evenings. How I wish that Thomas was among them! This would have been an awesome summer for him.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to skywalker For This Useful Post:

“When he shall die,
    Take him and cut him out in little stars,
    And he will make the face of heaven so fine
    That all the world will be in love with night
    And pay no worship to the garish sun.”

― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Our hearts and prayers today are with Tom's family on this bittersweet anniversary. May God bless them and grant justice for the innocent victims.
    Last edited by Snick1946; 06-13-2012 at 01:11 PM.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Skywalker,
    My heart hurt when I read your post until I remembered that Thomas had an even better birthday right where he is. Probably had cake with Shirlee...

Shakespeare is a bit more eloquent! I reread Snick's quote. How beautiful.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brudsaunt For This Useful Post:

Belenky on my mind..

I ran across this news account from 2-11 that had some things I hadn't noticed- or realized the importance of- before:

http://globaltvcalgary.farm2.smdg.ca...368/story.html

Note the part where local authorities were concerned enough about the security of persons he worked with following his firing that they had security experts check out their homes. That to me speaks volumes about him and that they considered him dangerous and inclined to retaliation.

I wonder where he is today?

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Obviously LE had concerns about this guy themselves.

Hmmmmm, .......... COULD have been revenge.

JMHO
    fran

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fran For This Useful Post:

MB is a bizarre and disturbed individual, the odds seem LOW that the family would cross paths with an entirely different psycho.

It sure seems that the authorities are on to him, but because of his (alleged) profession, he is particularly good at hiding evidence.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geojeffrey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by geojeffrey View Post
    MB is a bizarre and disturbed individual, the odds seem LOW that the family would cross paths with an entirely different psycho.

It sure seems that the authorities are on to him, but because of his (alleged) profession, he is particularly good at hiding evidence.
    Exactly. How many psychopaths would the Hunters have encountered in their lives? Tom probably knew him as one of his father's residents and when he came knocking that day would probably have let him in. Maybe he said he had something to leave for Dr Hunter to sign- who knows. MB is perhaps one of those people who delight in proving to themselves how they can outsmart others. Going to the home of the head of Pathology and getting away with murder woould be a heady accomplishment to that sort of mentality.

I have the feeling LE lost their chance to get this guy. If I were in LE I'd be following up on any murders taking place in areas where he's lived in the past.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Perhaps it is because he was under suspicion in Nebraska AND PERHAPS THEY KNOW MORE THAN THEY LET US KNOW, that LE feared for his colleagues. Something will eventually catch up with this guy. He'll resurface somewhere, probably as a pathologist,
    and commit more errors. I just wish medical schools and pathology departments could be warned.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to brudsaunt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brudsaunt View Post
    Perhaps it is because he was under suspicion in Nebraska AND PERHAPS THEY KNOW MORE THAN THEY LET US KNOW, that LE feared for his colleagues. Something will eventually catch up with this guy. He'll resurface somewhere, probably as a pathologist,
    and commit more errors. I just wish medical schools and pathology departments could be warned.
    Let's just hope if he indeed is the perp that he doesn't kill again before he is caught. My thinking about this case has more or less settled on him, but.. I still have a nagging feeling that this may have been a hired hit, paid for by someone close to the Hunter family or at least to one of the boy's parents.

WOWT To Air News Update This Evening

WOWT here in Omaha is headlining a story they will run on this evenings newscast about this case. I plan to view and then post the gist of what was said- if the past is any indication their website will also carry a story and I will link to that.

The blurb for the story said that OPD is 'going nationwide' so I assume this means they are at long last allowing AMW or Nancy Grace to air a segment on it. This, if so, is wonderful news although it's about three years late. Update later this evening.

41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Breaking news: Amw to air segment 8-3

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012072...undee-slayings

This story just posted on Omaha World Herald website.

Update- I just saw the news story, it lead off the newscast. The segment will air at 8PM CDT on Lifetime the evening of 8-3. Interviews will air with Shirlee's family and apparently with Dr Hunter. The story will apparently reveal some facts not previously released. One concerns Tom's internet presence and someone he was chatting with in the days prior to the murders. More details will air on the license plate seen by wittnesses. It sounds as if the internet angle is where they are going. It sounds like they plan to put out the screen name of the person he was chatting with. I think WOWT will post the segment on theirn site so I will check and link to it tommorrow.
    Last edited by Snick1946; 07-26-2012 at 11:09 PM.

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

It will be on America's Most Wanted on Lifetime, you can see the full episode later online.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/amer.../full-episodes

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colette For This Useful Post:

Link to WOWT story:

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/C...138984264.html

I couldn't find any video of the segment from their newscast but the article covers the main points.

47. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/....html#comments

I wonder if Thomas's screen names have a secret meaning? I really hope AMW will help bring the killer to justice. And I wonder why OPD did not focus in on this lead when this crime first happened? And thank you Snick for keeping this thread alive,

49. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ozzie For This Useful Post:

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast