1209 users online (249 members and 960 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - More Trouble for Tigger. . . now Goofy, Orlando

'Goofy' accused of shoving 2 at Disney
    Thursday, September 16, 2004 Posted: 10:24 AM EDT (1424 GMT)

Michael Chartrand was just playing around when he shoved two photographers, his lawyer says.

ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- A Walt Disney World worker who was acquitted of charges he fondled a 13-year-old girl while dressed as Tigger has been suspended again, accused of shoving two people while in a Goofy costume.

His lawyer said the man was just "goofing around because he was Goofy."

Two photographers at Disney's Animal Kingdom said Michael Chartrand came up to them in his Goofy costume and shoved each in the chest, Orange County Sheriff's Capt. Bernie Presha said Wednesday.

The photographers, a male and female whose names were not released, work for Kodak at the park.

Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said Chartrand was suspended August 30 and would remain so indefinitely. Chartrand also could face misdemeanor charges.

Jeffrey Kaufman, Chartrand's attorney in the Tigger case, said the new claims were bogus.

"Goofy is always playful," Kaufman told the Orlando Sentinel. "Of course he was goofing around because he was Goofy!"

Earlier this year, Disney suspended Chartrand after a 13-year-old accused him of fondling her while he was dressed as Tigger. A jury acquitted Chartrand of those charges, and Disney let him return to work August 6.

Kaufman said Disney sees Chartrand as a liability and is using a false claim against him. He also said the two Kodak employees shoved Chartrand back, as part of routine horseplay among cast members and greeters meant to entertain patrons.

"That's the joke about this," Kaufman said. "You're supposed to fool around, be animated. I knew for Michael it would be tough for him to go back. I told him he would be a walking bull's-eye."

Chartrand, 36, a native of England, had been living at his sister's home in nearby Kissimmee but was not there Wednesday. His sister, Fran Chartrand, referred all inquiries to Kaufman.

www.cnn.com

it's stinking hot down here, those characters have to wear heavy costumes and put up with all kinds of abuse from people, they are poorly paid, ...it's a wonder winnie the pooh hasn't pulled out an AK47.

Why would these people even report it criminally? trying to extort money out of Disney? I understand them reporting it to Disney Customer Service so they can deal with Goofy.. but the police?

Roflmao!!!

Deputy Linda you're toooooooo funny!!!!
    I was laughing so loud, my 4-year old asked if I was alright! (My sister worked at Disney right out of college. What a joke. Minimum wage. Didn't stay there for long!)

Quote Originally Posted by deputylinda
    it's stinking hot down here, those characters have to wear heavy costumes and put up with all kinds of abuse from people, they are poorly paid, ...it's a wonder winnie the pooh hasn't pulled out an AK47.

Yeah, well just wait. The price on them just hit rock bottom after all and they're legal!!

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    Why would these people even report it criminally? trying to extort money out of Disney? I understand them reporting it to Disney Customer Service so they can deal with Goofy.. but the police?
    extortion of disney is big business down here...which does not make it wrong. it's the price they pay for those ridiculous ticket prices. the average family could spend a year's salary on lunch in 'it's a small world'.the pirates are not all in the caribbean.