Sun Exposure, Vitamin D May Lower Risk of Multiple Sclerosis

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...+Science+News)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Sun Exposure, Vitamin D May Lower Risk of Multiple Sclerosis

..."Added together, the differences in sun exposure, vitamin D levels and skin type accounted for a 32-percent increase in a diagnosed first event from the low to the high latitude regions of Australia," Lucas said.

Lucas noted that the effects of sun exposure and vitamin D acted independently of each other on the risk of first event. "Further research should evaluate both sun exposure and vitamin D for the prevention of MS," Lucas said.

Lucas also stated that people should continue to limit their sun exposure due to skin cancer risks. She also noted that the risks of tanning beds far outweigh any possible protective effect against MS. Exposure to the sun has not been shown to benefit people who already have MS.

The study was supported by the U.S. National Multiple Sclerosis Society, the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia, the ANZ William Buckland Foundation and Multiple Sclerosis Research Australia.

Well I have been taking extra vit D and trying to find sun to battle seasonal depression, glad to know it could be helping in other ways ;):woohoo:

My best friend from high school was a sun worshipper. She has MS....so....maybe it's the vitamin D, rather than the sun.

My best friend from high school was a sun worshipper. She has MS....so....maybe it's the vitamin D, rather than the sun.

Me too, grew up the Coppertone Kid, didn't back off until my twenties-- MS. Plus, I am so heat sensitive now I can barely have the sun shine on me, hot sun anyway... and yes, I supplement.

I have had "pains" neck/back probs, endometriousis (sp lol) bad knees, and depression, and nothing, not a pain or anxiety med in the world helped me more than a vit D supplement. I have 3 people in my family with MS... and many other "autoimmune disorders" . Maybe vit D and a bit of sun will save me from their fate :)

I have had "pains" neck/back probs, endometriousis (sp lol) bad knees, and depression, and nothing, not a pain or anxiety med in the world helped me more than a vit D supplement. I have 3 people in my family with MS... and many other "autoimmune disorders" . Maybe vit D and a bit of sun will save me from their fate :)

I have had ongoing endo since an early age too, and fibro. Various other severe ongoing problems. I too have a low level of Vit. D, one that hardly registered on testing. I have symptoms that mirror MS but no dx, (thank God). I have taken D for quite sometime to raise the levels but it is a slow process. I do not live in a sunny State. I have yet to see a difference in pain level. I take an Rx drug 1 x a mo. now.

Wishing you well mommy23. I'm happy to hear this worked for you.

Hoping this will be a new avenue for those that suffer w/ MS. All the best to them.

Thanks for the info.
Goz

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken